Start by marking “The Quality of Silence” as Want to Read:
The Quality of Silence

The Quality of Silence

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  6,909 ratings  ·  1,201 reviews
On 24 November Yasmin and her ten-year-old daughter Ruby set off on a journey across Northern Alaska. They're searching for Ruby's father, missing in the arctic wilderness.

More isolated with each frozen mile they cover, they travel deeper into an endless night. And Ruby, deaf since birth, must brave the darkness where sight cannot guide her.

She won't abandon her father. Bu
Published July 2nd 2015 by Little, Brown (first published April 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Quality of Silence, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Margaret I would not recommend this book for children. I would recommend it for adults who wish to see one of the largest platforms for propaganda as an ending…moreI would not recommend this book for children. I would recommend it for adults who wish to see one of the largest platforms for propaganda as an ending to a novel that held mystery and promise and dropped a boulder on anyone's heart with the weak ending for good fiction, a good ending for propagandistic purpose.
(less)
Jennifer It's adult fiction rather than young adult but teens might enjoy it too. There is violence in it, and lots of peril but nothing massively explicit.…moreIt's adult fiction rather than young adult but teens might enjoy it too. There is violence in it, and lots of peril but nothing massively explicit. Would recommend for 14+? (less)

·  6,909 ratings  ·  1,201 reviews

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $1.99 Kindle US 3/7/19

You have no idea how much I want to give out spoilers about this book!

I liked this book because it goes into things that are very important to me, but alas! NO SPOILERS! Well some MILD SPOILERS :-)

I fell in love with little Ruby right away. She is deaf and she's so smart and so sweet. Her mother Yasmin....mmmmm.... I had issues with her because she takes Ruby onto the ice roads with her with a major storm coming in.. she put her child's life in danger. BUT, Ruby ca
Julie
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton is a 2016 Crown publication.

Harrowing, white knuckle suspense!

Alaska. Its beauty contrasts with the dark, brutal, bitter cold, making it the perfect backdrop for this gripping environmental thriller which is coupled with a story of undying love and devotion.

Yasmin has traveled to Alaska in search of her husband, Matt. She has brought her deaf daughter, Ruby along, believing deep in her heart that despite evidence to the contrary, her husband was not a
Linda
I received The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton through NetGalley. Thank you to NetGalley, Crown Publishing, and to Rosamund Lupton.

To experience Alaska (and I've been there) is to truly know the meaning of biting, piercing, below-the-skin-surface cold. Rosamund Lipton envelops you with pure descriptors of what makes Alaska a source of both incredible beauty always and a very dangerous destination at times.

Matt Alfredson, a wildlife photographer from England, is missing in the Arctic region
Paromjit
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wondrous and atmospheric thriller. This is an intense and moving study of a family that has to go through a harrowing trauma to find each other again. Yasmin and her deaf daughter, Ruby, arrive in Alaska expecting to be met by Matt. Instead Yasmin is informed that her husband is dead after a village has been wiped out.

Yasmin and Ruby do not believe Matt is dead and get a lift with a kind trucker, Adeeb. Adeeb gets sick and Yasmin drives the truck across a desolate frozen tundra and arctic sto
Diane S ☔
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 It is not often that implausibility in a plot can be overcome, but this one did the nearly impossible. At least it did for me, the strong writing, the descriptions, the suspense and the ultimate warning about the high cost of our way of living and our constant need for oil.

Little Ruby was an interesting character, a deaf girl with amazing skills and thoroughly bonded with her father. Her mother, Jasmine was tenacious and smart but....... well read this and you will see. But, the real star o
Phrynne
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
The Quality of Silence is a totally gripping thriller written beautifully and with delightful characters - especially ten year old Ruby who actually makes the book!

Rosamund Lupton describes the extreme cold of the Arctic Circle perfectly. I felt like grabbing a blanket to huddle under everytime Yasmin got out of the truck! I did not even mind having to totally suspend belief while watching her drive a giant truck on ice roads, through a major storm for 300 miles. Not possible but it made a grea
Liz Barnsley
The Quality of Silence is a read that was worth waiting for (I’m a huge fan of Ms Lupton’s previous novels) and with this one she has taken a step up with some beautiful writing, an intense, chilly and emotional read that is utterly utterly gripping.

Ruby’s father is seemingly killed in a horrific accident – Ruby’s Mum however does not believe it and with Ruby in tow sets off across a bleak and unforgiving landscape to track him down. As the story unfolds from both points of view it is truly fasc
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I have struggled with how I should rate this book. I really liked a lot of things about this book but I had a few problems with it. I consider this to be a good book overall that I wouldn't have any problems recommending to most readers. I think that the three star rating that I finally went with is fair.

Let's start with the things that I really liked about this book. First of all, Ruby was a fantastic character. She was smart, resourceful, a
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I've got to say, I was impressed by this book. I read her previous work Sister and while it wasn't bad, I didn't think it was that great. I'm really glad I gave this one a shot as it has much improved my opinion of her work!

I think my favorite aspect of this novel was the author's sheer talent for descriptions of the setting. As I was reading I could have sworn I was trekking through the snow in Alaska with Yasmine and Ruby. The writing is beautiful and almost felt like poetry. This was a unique
Tim The Enchanter
A Beautiful Place. A Ridiculous Plot. - 3 Stars

Part of me feels that I may be a tad generous with a three star review. I had some issues with this book but on the other hand, there were elements that I found quite enjoyable and even enchanting. This novel holds the distinction as one of a few books that I both liked and disliked.

Plot Summary

Ruby and her mother Yasmin, fly from England to Alaska to meet up with their father/husband who is in a remote village filming a documentary. Upon arri
Elaine
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
An evocative read that is haunting and chilling, quite literally, as it is set on the Alaskan Ice Road in the middle of winter with a monster storm brewing. Yasmine and her 10 year old daughter Ruby have just arrived in Alaska to meet husband Matt but is faced by the news that he has been killed in a devastating fire in the remote Alaskan village he was staying in – a fire that has claimed the lives of everyone in the village. Yasmine’s refusal to accept that her husband is dead takes her and he ...more
~ Becs ~
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, deaf-heroine

OK, so I know this is going to be corny but here goes….

Holy Frack!!!!

If you’ve read the book, you’ll get it, if not, why not!

I really do enjoy a Rosamund Lupton novel.  Her writing style is a literary treat compared to so many authors in this genre.  Her attention to detail, the depth of her characters and tight plotlines all add up to a highly sumptuous reading experience.

This is my second novel by her, the first being the excellent Sister and I think I see a bit of a science geek deep in

Lynn
Nov 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly one of the worst books I have ever read. I really liked her first book Sister and Afterwards was ok but this is terrible. A completely implausible plot and absolutely no sense of menace whatsoever. The final chapter was beyond a joke, seriously how did this get past the editor.
 Li'l Owl ~ Incorrigible Reader
A terrifying rollercoaster ride!
Just you, your ten year old daughter (deaf since birth), total darkness, bone numbing, deadly freezing cold, completely isolated in the Alaskan wilderness.
Not for the faint of heart!

Ruby
It's FREEZING cold; like the air is made of glass. Our English cold is all roly-poly snowman and 'woo-hoo! it's a snow day!' a hay-there friendly kind of cold. But this cold is mean.

Mum is keeping close to me, like she can wrap me up in another warm layer of her, and I lean rig
sue

I love snow, I love the cold weather I absolutely do. I am a winter baby, so this was lovely and chilling to read, I could imagine myself trekking through the snow, the cold the wet and the wind, gorgeous. Love it.

The atmospheric conditions and imagination in this read was enthralling and enticing to me.

I have read Rosamund Lupton's book before and I know she can deliver a pretty good story that I will mostly enjoy and this one was the same.

Fragile marriages.

There they are, Yasmin and her dau
Brenda
In the Alaskan darkness Yasmin and her ten year old daughter Ruby arrived at the airport; after discovering the shocking facts about why he wasn’t there to meet them, Yasmin was determined to search for Matt, the husband and father whom they loved so dearly. Ruby had been deaf since birth; she was a chatterbox, albeit through signing but she was also without real friends at school – they teased her and called her names. Jimmy had been her best friend until recently…but she was extremely excited ...more
Melissa
From the setting of the story to the underlying issues, I found this one to be pretty impressive. Rosamund Lupton brings her readers to the Arctic Circle to experience polar night – which means no daylight for months. I could feel the bone-chilling cold and envision the snow covered tundra all around me, which only intensified the eeriness of being in complete darkness.

You have to question whether Yasmin is incredibly brave or if she’s delusional. She arrives in Alaska with her ten-year-old de
Malia
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I gobbled up "Afterwards" and "Sister" was, if not a favorite, a gripping read, so I was exited to get my hands on "The Quality of Silence". The cover summary reveals so little, which was clever, as it allowed for a heightened sense of mystery to pervade the story. I won't, therefore, summarize the story much either. Lupton's writing is, as in her previous novels, polished and at times poetic, and the story flowed very nicely. I was especially impressed with the way Lupton so thoughtfully tells ...more
☼♄Jülie 

The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton

Matt is a wildlife photographer and film maker and has been working solo on a huge project in some remote areas of Alaska, photographing and documenting information on the native wildlife in their natural habitat there.
Usually he comes home for the Christmas break to be with his wife Yasmin and ten year old daughter Ruby.

This year they were going to come to Alaska to be with him, and were so excited that Ruby and her father had been discussing it and plan
Jo (A follower of wizards)
I've found this book rather difficult to rate. There was a lot I enjoyed about this book, but there were a couple of issues, that in turn, prevented me from loving it.

I loved that the setting of this story was in the brutal winter cold of Alaska. It felt really well described, and I actually felt rather cold reading it. The winter wilderness felt very real.

As a person that has much to do with child hearing loss, I thought Ruby's part was well done. Her character was brave, thoughtful and portra
marlin1
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Yasmin is going to Alaska to meet up with husband Matt who has been making a wildlife film in the depths of the Alaskan winter. Ruby their deaf 10 year old daughter is also super excited to be going, she can't wait to use the blog that her father has helped set up for this trip. But on arrival at the airport there is no Matt and they are informed that the village he was working out of has been destroyed by a freak fire and all inhabitants had died. Yasmin, who actually feels their relationship i ...more
Janet
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the first of Rosamund Lupton's that I've read and going by the cover (which I love) and the blurb, I had high hopes.

The book starts off well. A mother and child find themselves in the Artic circle on the hunt for the girl's missing father who has been declared dead but a fact they refuse to believe themselves. In fact, in a nutshell, the book's blurb is pretty much the whole story. A missing father, fracking, cold alaskan weather, truck driving, a tenacious mother and a deaf child. And t
Perri
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The star of this story is Alaska-unrelenting dark, frigid,silent, cruel, lonely, vast, monochrome, perilous. So many adjectives. If only the story was about that. Other reviewers are spot on about the implausibility of events. Ridiculous. But I liked the deaf daughter perspective. Three and a half juddering stars
Dale Harcombe
May 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars.
I’m finding this a hard book to review. On the one hand the story absolutely pulls you along for the ride, despite the fact that some of the plot stretched belief. But after a while you stop worrying about those things that sound unrealistic and just let the story take hold of you. The main star of this book is Alaska. The description of the land had me even feeling chilly as I read it. Add to this an engaging character in the 10 year old deaf Ruby. Her mother Yasmin agoni
Sheila
2.5 stars (Somewhere between "meh" and "I liked the book.")

This book has two huge things that completely destroyed my immersion and my suspension of disbelief. I'm not going to spoil the ending or any of the plot twists, but I'm going to talk about these two things (which happen in the beginning of the book).

FIRST, Yasmin is the worst mother ever. I can't believe she'd take her child into northern Alaska during a freaking storm with no plan. So reckless and irresponsible. I dislike her as a char
Franco  Santos
description

He didn't know what day it was any more and he thought out here there were no days, no turning of the Earth to reach the face of the Sun, but a dark night of the soul in which only violent storms broke time into different pieces.

Paz. Este libro transmite paz. Una mezcla de silencio, desolación, esperanza, tormentas de nieve, un cielo tan negro que libera la noche más oscura de las noches, infinitas estrellas que manchan el eclipsado firmamento y un toque de auroras boreales.

El final no me gustó
Linda Strong
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I was really excited to know that I had won this particular book in a Give-Away sponsored by The Reading Room. This is a new author to me and I've heard so many good things about her other books.

Yasmin's husband, Matt, is in the Alaskan wilderness and is reported as dead after a catastrophic fire in the small village where he was staying. Along with her young deaf daughter, Ruby, she makes the trip herself .... but Yasmin refuses to believe that he is dead.

The two of them decide to go look for t
Marjorie
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yasmine’s husband, Matt, is in Alaska making a wildlife film. When Yasmine and her deaf 10-yr-old daughter Ruby are told that Ruby’s father, Matt, has died in a horrendous fire, they refuse to believe it. Even with a storm headed their way, they set out for the remote frontier where Matt is last known to have been.

I have to admit that the decisions that Yasmine makes do sometimes stretch reality quite a bit. Here she is with a little deaf girl, her own daughter, and she heads out to a section o
Stef Rozitis
This book was fantastically plotted, and absolutely convinced me. All the threads that I could have unravelled bits of it with, all the criticisms I was planning on making were answered by the end of the book- so if you are reading it and something seems to not ring true or to be a little one-sided hang on. Believability wise it was a bit of a stretch, but we want to romanticise the world a little when we read.

The characters were warm, well rounded and likeable. I thought the reference to "gifte
Bookread2day
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Being myself slighty deaf in one ear since the age of about 8 due to an ear infection, I found that I could easy relate to the young daughter in the story Ruby being deaf.

I totally loved this unusual story as a whole, the characters, the story line with Ruby being deaf and the unusual setting of the places events took place.

Ruby and her mother Yasmin Alfredson had travelled to Alaska to meet Ruby’s dad at the Fairbanks airport. Deaf Ruby knew it would be really cold and super-quite with thousan
Around the Year i...: The Quality of Silence, by Rosamund Lupton 1 9 Jan 06, 2018 12:29PM

• In the Company of Wolves
  • Idiot!
  • Let There Be Laughter: A Treasury of Great Jewish Humor and What It All Means
  • The Wild Inside (Glacier Mystery #1)
  • The House on Rectory Lane
  • Sweetsmoke
  • The Samaritan (Carter Blake #2)
  • The Next One to Fall
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • Highland Storms (Kinross Saga, #2)
  • The Golden Scales (Makana, #1)
  • Monday's Lie
  • Steal the North
  • Persecuted: I Will Not Be Silent
  • The Gaia Effect (The Gaia Collection, #1)
  • Tenacity (Lieutenant Danielle Lewis, #1)
  • Second Chance Season
  • The Clover House
Rosamund Lupton's new book, 'Three Hours' is published on 9th January 2020.

Her debut novel, 'Sister' was a BBC Radio 4 Book at Bedtime, a Sunday Times and New York Times best seller and the fastest selling debut in WHSmiths'history. Her next two books 'Afterwards' and 'The Quality of Silence' were also Sunday Times best sellers. Her novels have been translated into over thirty languages.
“His last night, the sky was cloudless with a full moon lighting the snowy terrain in an opalescent blue light. He remembered Yasmin telling him that the moonlight that reaches Earth is mainly the reflected light from the sun with some starlight and Earthlight thrown in. She'd told him that the light wasn't really blue, it was because of the Purkinje effect, a flaw in the human eye, that made it so. And he'd thought that what we know is filtered by our flaws, and sometimes turned more beautiful by them.” 3 likes
“The first documentary I watched on hydraulic fracturing was Gasland by Josh Fox. Since then I’ve read, watched and listened to many articles, reports, speeches and blogs about fracking but Gasland remains the stand-out piece for me. The Sky is Pink by Josh Fox and the Gasland team can be seen on Vimeo and YouTube.” 0 likes