Start by marking “The Tudors” as Want to Read:
The Tudors

The Tudors

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  103 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The Tudor period is regarded by many as England's golden age, and still casts a spell over the public imagination. Whether it's the glittering rule of Elizabeth, the ruthless power of her father Henry VIII, or the bloody and radical reign of Mary, the Tudors remain the most fascinating English dynasty. Richard Rex looks at how the public and private lives of the Tudors wer ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Tempus Publishing, Limited (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Tudors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tudors

Alys
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative yet enjoyable. To be honest i did not read this book in order. I flicked between sections as I've been studying the Tudors in school so it was more of a revision tool. I therefore probably haven't actually read all of it, but it's close enough. Also, can we all take a moment to appreciate the irony of the author's name?
Sarah Bryson
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Rex’s book on the Tudors is a slightly different take than most books which have been written about the Tudor Monarchs. Instead of studying and examining the personal lives of each Tudor Monarch, Rex looks instead at how each King and Queen influenced and affected England and how their decision making, their politics and their religious beliefs affected the day to day life of men and women during this period in history. I thought this was a wonderful perspective to take when writing abou ...more
Jessica
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This only gets an extra star because of the photos that are included.
Like most history-based books, the author needs to cram in extra writings that are really not necessary. It had this reader skimming parts.
What is a fascinating era of history, it dragged in many moments.
Chris528735
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My interest in the Tudor period of English history was piqued after I started to watch the Showtime series "The Tudors". The show is very good and I wanted to get some more background on the period and the monarchs that ruled England at that time. This book provides a sufficient introduction to the reigns of Henry VII, Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary Tudor, and Elizabeth I. The author seems to be at times almost apologetic in his portrayal of these rulers in a more positive light than other historia ...more
Helene Harrison
Review - I thought that Richard Rex's book was a bit of a let-down, as it was quite short, and I was expecting so much more detail than it provided. Perhaps I have rated it so low just because I was expecting more of it. Nevertheless, it is a valid point, because the reigns of Edward VI and Mary I aren't really covered, and neither are the lives of the wives of Henry VIII, a key part of Tudor history missed out.

Subject/s - History / Tudors

Rating - 14/20

Recommend - Maybe
Alison
May 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs
I loved this book--it was an essential guide to understanding the reigns of the Tudor monarchs. It was written in a style that I could follow without having to reread it over and over--very concise, which any writer knows is hard to do with a complex subject. He also provided recommendations on other books to read about this era, which has really captured my interest.
Julie Ellis
A very balanced overview of the political life of the Tudor dynasty. The author does not focus on the personal lives of the Tudors(no juicy details of Henry VIII's many marriages!), but briefly covers all the major political issues of the dynasty. Not world's most exciting book, but clear, succinct and balanced.
Vanessa
Being a work of non-fiction the reading was a little dry, but what can you expect from non-fiction? The author presented the information in essay format on numerous subjects and provided a good foundation for additional studies.
Jonathan
Sep 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Commissioned by me, originally at Tempus Publishing new reissue due out in October from Amberley Publishing with a fabulous new selection of illustrations, expertly captioned by the author. DAVID STARKEY review: 'The best introduction of England's most important dynasty'
Lesley Lane
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and easy to follow history of the Tudors. This is an account of their politics, not their personal lives. It was refreshing to read what they did for England and how they changed England forever. If you are looking for an introduction into the Tudors this is the book for you.
Kathy  Petersen
Rex's discussion of the Tudor dynasty is an easy read, with enough depth to satisfy those who want a little more than pop history and enough creativity—and plenty of opinion!!—to keep interest at a peak.
Heather Domin
A good starting point for anyone unfamiliar with the dynasty. Organized, concise, and written in easy-going language.
Madison
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Without a doubt, 'The Tudors' by Richard Rex is the best introductory account that l have read of England's most famous royal family.
Berit
  • A Song of Sixpence: The Story of Elizabeth of York and Perkin Warbeck
  • Young Henry: The Rise of Henry VIII
  • The 7th Wife of Henry the 8th
  • The Fallen Queen
  • The House Of Lanyon (Exmoor Saga, #1)
  • Heretic Queen: Queen Elizabeth I and the Wars of Religion
  • In Bed with the Tudors: the Sex Lives of a Dynasty from Elizabeth of York to Elizabeth I
  • WARWICK - The Man Behind The Wars of the Roses
  • Ambition's Queen: A Novel of Tudor England
  • History of Britain & Ireland
  • No Will But His: A Novel of Kathryn Howard
  • Cor Rotto: A Novel of Catherine Carey
  • On This Day in Tudor History
  • I, Jane (In the Court of Henry VIII, #4)
  • God's Secret Agents: Queen Elizabeth's Forbidden Priests and the Hatching of the Gunpowder Plot
  • Birth, Marriage, and Death: Ritual, Religion, and the Life Cycle in Tudor and Stuart England

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Loudest Voice in the Room: How Roger Ailes and Fox News Remade American Politics
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • The Art of Power
  • Through My Eyes
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks