Start by marking “Looking at Mindfulness: 25 Ways to Live in the Moment Through Art” as Want to Read:
Looking at Mindfulness: 25 Ways to Live in the Moment Through Art

Looking at Mindfulness: 25 Ways to Live in the Moment Through Art

Illustrated in full colour throughout, this book draws upon art as a source of inspiration. Expert practitioner Christophe Andre invites us to consider paintings while practicing mindfulness techniques. With stunning simplicity and clarity, he sets out 25 lessons that could change your life - from understanding what it means to live mindfully, to useful tips for everyday s ...more
Published March 3rd 2015 by Blue Rider Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Looking at Mindfulness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking at Mindfulness

Start your review of Looking at Mindfulness: 25 Ways to Live in the Moment Through Art
Jan-Maat
A kindly book which explores mindfulness meditation through discussing paintings, or rather the paintings are springboards into taking about mindfulness and meditation.

The font is large and friendly, each chapter has the picture discussed and close ups of details reproduced in colour, it feels indulgent and comforting to read.

Having finished it I feel I could read it again, perhaps this time dipping in and out reading chapters out of order, equally I feel this is a book to share - to buy and to
Janet
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good mindfulness book is like the Art of Tidying for your head, where the mess begins. This one uses 25 works of art as a jumping off place to explore its lessons, which I found incredibly valuable, as the visual helps me remember the point. For example, Andre uses Hieronomus Bosch's "The Conjurer"--a painting of a man staring hard at the magic trick being performed, while his pocket is being picked, and it's clear that everyone else around him has some agenda. A perfect illustration of the di ...more
Magdelanye
In the preface to this gorgeous and profound guide to mindfulness is a most wonderful definition:

Living in mindfulness means paying regular, calm attention to the present moment.

With precision and direct instruction, CA illustrates his lessons with reproductions of lesser known masterpieces from painters worldwide. This alone would make this book outstanding, but the lucid poetry of his observations are even more relevant, especially for those who have been overwhelmed by more mystical approac
Gauri
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: most-meaningful
To learn how to manage my depression and anxiety better, I have been reading about meditation and mindfulness. There was a time when I thought meditation was silly. I thought to myself, "I have so many things to do, sitting and closing my eyes won't help me." I also thought that meditation was difficult and there are hard and fast rules to it, almost like there is some discipline or seriousness to it. I used to roll my eyes at the seemingly flowery language.

I realize just how wrong I was after r
Travel Writing
Staggeringly lovely book that takes a deep and delicious look at mindfulness through art. The author, French psychiatrist Christophe Andre, is a poignantly beautiful writer. The chapters all center around one piece of art and how that piece speaks to Andre in different themes.

I enjoy art, but am not in any way schooled in art, so delving into these beautiful, and sometimes weird, paintings and having them woven so seamlessly into four structures with themes such as Breathe, Accept Mystery, Conte
Allie
This rating/review is based on an ARC from the publisher.

This is the kind of book on mindfulness that is just made for me. I love how each chapter is structured: mindful analysis of a painting, quote, exploration of a mindfulness practice, and a summary of the overall lesson. All of the chapters are pretty short and follow the same structure. The art is exclusively western, which was kind of a bore but it's still a really great way to explore the concept.

This also satisfies task 24 of my Book R
Helen C
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meditation
Looking at Mindfulness is a uniquely beautiful book. With stunning simplicity and clarity, Christopher Andre offers twenty-five lessons in mindfulness and meditation each accompanied by an extraordinary painting.
Sharon Larson
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read a chapter every so often. Coffee in hand, I enjoyed every deep and contemplative thought presented. This book was like a spiritual jumpstart each time I read it. Beautiful. Just beautiful.
Jerry Rose
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
mindfulness through art history (in portraits and poetry)

Live and let be. Emotions and external manifestations will Not become the death of me. impermanence, nothingness, complexity of all things makes diverting attention to it immaterial.

Walking in a clear water beach creates cloudy eddys. If you wanted to see your feet again, pushing the clouds will not make it so. You will only create a bigger eddy. The only solution is to stop and let the sand settle. It is the same with painful life experi
Frank Jude
Christophe André's Looking At Mindfulness offers a creative opening to mindfulness meditation through the appreciation of 25 paintings from the European tradition, only four of which are from the 20th century. I was inspired by this book to offer a series of my own commentary on most of the 25 through the @mindfulnessyogasangha Instagram account though I often had to mitigate against André's tendency toward the transcendent mysticism and theological.

My two main criticisms are the same criticism
Connie
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An exquisite book, a gift from Kristin , filled with beautiful art and peaceful essays. I will read this again. Thank you, kiddo , mly
Janet Barclay
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I first heard about mindfulness over 10 years ago. I found it fascinating, but never bothered to seriously apply it in my own life. While choosing my "one word" for 2019, I decided this would be the year for mindfulness.

There's a wealth of information available on the topic, but I found that much of it is about mindfulness meditation. Although I understand the benefits of meditation, when we did it in yoga class, I found it very difficult. I felt it would be most helpful to me to get a better g
Erwin Thomas
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christopher André’s Looking at Mindfulness is a primer of twenty-five lessons on mindfulness. With pictures to supplement the text André explained how people could be aware of their bodies and environment and not be like robots. Advice is given concerning how to turn off and adjust to the multiple stimuli of film, television, radio, and the Internet. These media only corrupt minds and cause them to be unable to concentrate on what really matters most in life.
By breathing and being in silence peo
Anood AlKatheeri
A very beautiful and engaging book that introduced me to the idea and the importance of living in mindfulness in a chaotic world buzzing with future uncertainties. I loved every painting that started each chapter in this book and how the author analyzed the themes within each of those paintings to explore a concept in mindful meditation. Each of the 25 lessons shared are very valuable in calming the mind and being simply present with both the inner self and the outer world. For example, before r ...more
Jane
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get to this book. Way too many books out from the library...but I finally did, and it's just beautiful. Each chapter gives a short description of a mindfulness practice, accompanied by a work of art that connects to that particular piece of the practice; for example, the chapter "Live in the Present Moment," begins with a painting called "The Magpie" by Claude Monet. The paintings are exquisite copies and the chapters often contain several close up sections of the painting ...more
Melissa
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the most beautiful book I have ever read. Beautiful viscerally, spiritually, and visually. Lessons in mindfulness, paired with stunning works of art, add another layer of complexity and meaning to this purposeful collection of essays. Each chapter addresses increasingly more nuanced aspects of mindfulness. In the beginning, I worried this was too entry-level because I have already studied meditation, but I quickly realized I had a lot more to learn. I read this book somewhat slowly and s ...more
Mike
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book helped change my life. I wanted to get into mindfulness, but didn't know where to start. This was gifted to me, so that made it an easy place to start. I'd read one new chapter a week, always starting by re-reading the previous week's chapter. I'd then have a full week of thinking on just one simple lesson each week. I don't know if that would work for others, but it worked for me. I'm sure there's a ton of good books on mindfulness, but this was a great start for me. Even though it wi ...more
Cara
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so engaging and relevant for life in today's chaotic world. Maybe it appealed to the past art history lover in me...but tying in each of the author's lessons by meditating on a piece of artwork truly slowed me down and was enlightening. I highly recommend this book to anyone who needs a little help quieting their mind. Very readable with short chapters, perfect for sneaking in when little time is available otherwise...you wouldn't want to just devour this book in one sitting anyway ...more
Jonathan Tennis
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christophe André takes a reader through a wonderful introduction to the idea of mindfulness using beautiful examples of art as guideposts. Loved this book. Highly recommend to anyone interested in the subject.

“Mindfulness helps us to become aware of all this hidden pollution of our minds, and protect ourselves against it. It enables us to restore our capacity for introspection and reconnect with ourselves, rather than sustaining ourselves with a constant drip-feed of external orders, distractio
Gina
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Was given this for Christmas, and she got one for herself too.
A truly beautiful book that literally takes you into a painting in every chapter, zooming into aspects of a picture by blowing up a small corner onto an entire page. The reflections ask you to hear the sounds in scenes, question what could be behind the small door in the corner, imagine what the space around the painter behind us would be like.

A wonderful book to visit through a season.
Sheila Garry
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Twenty five ways to live in the moment through art. It’s an easy to read comprehensive look at mindfulness. It delivers practical steps and explanations.

How about this gem.....At a mindfulness retreat our teacher had us stand in a circle. He asked us to take a step forward. After a few seconds of silence he then said”Now try not to have taken that step.” And with that he demonstrated the futility of regret.
Iulia
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A book that should be in anyone's library.
A combination of art, philosophy and practical psychological approaches surrounding the rising domain of mindfulness.
Must read for whoever practices internal locus of control.
25 lessons in mindfulness, presented in a multidisciplinary fashion, targeting personal development.
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am reading this in Italian, not French! Definitely a mindfulness classic, and doubly great for an art lover like me as each aspect of meditation is illustrated by a painting. A book to be savoured slowly!
Suzanne
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Gentle and enlightening presentation of mindfulness through the use of well-known paintings coupled with explanations and exercises. A welcome introduction to mindfulness as a life practice. I received this book from Netgalley and am appreciative of the opportunity to review it.
Tugce
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book for those who are trying to gain deeper insight to meditation. The combination of art and meditation makes the book easier to read and more enjoyable. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys art and trying to learn how to live in full awareness. 🙌🏻
Stéphanie
Translated this into Norwegian.
Jennifer  Williams
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book, not only because of the writing but because of how the beautiful artworks are integrated into the ideas.
Sonic
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everything about this very carefully considered masterpiece is wonderful!
It is full of gorgeous reproductions (and details) of 25 pieces of Art that most would call masterpieces, and Andre' uses these as springboard to carefully and clearly discuss ideas of "mindfulness." Every word is carefully considered and the writer's deep knowledge of Psychology and mindfulness practice is evident.
Even the graphic design of this book is perfect!

Highly recommended!
Randy Garry
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some great thoughts on mindfulness—-what it is and how to attain it.
Quote: “Mindfulness helps us understand that our moments of happiness are like flowers—-we should breathe in their scent and then let them go. They are not like gold pieces, to be stored and accumulated. They are magnificent, fragile flowers, as ephemeral as our own lives.”
I think I’m gonna have to buy this book, so I can read sections of it now and then as inspiration and guidance. It’s a gem!
Brandon Larson
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is the perfect palate cleanser for the mind. Each chapter is only a handful of pages and uses a painting as a metaphor to explore how to be present in the world, tying in wisdom from Buddhism, literature, and philosophy. Reminiscent of Alan Watts, it strikes that perfect balance between intellectual depth and approachability. Reading a bit each morning gave me the nudge I needed, I highly recommend it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Happiness Plan
  • الشيخان
  • الصديقة بنت الصديق

News & Interviews

“Le silence est aux bruits ce que l'ombre est a la lumière, ou le sommeil a la veille: une autre face indispensable.” 2 likes
“I'm going to spend time and energy thinking and acting in a way that will increase my chances of feeling happy as often as possible. It's not about being happy just like that, here and now, whistling up happiness like a dog. But I can pave the way for happiness. I can open my eyes and my mind, in the same way that I make myself present when I'm walking in a forest, instead of remaining wrapped in my worries about yesterday and tomorrow.” 0 likes