Start by marking “Persuasive Copywriting: Using Psychology to Influence, Engage and Sell” as Want to Read:
Persuasive Copywriting: Using Psychology to Influence, Engage and Sell

Persuasive Copywriting: Using Psychology to Influence, Engage and Sell

Using psychology, emotion, and a pinch of neuroscience, Andy Maslen, an experienced copywriter and marketer, presents 25 psychological techniques, 110 words and phrases that trigger emotions, over 10 real-world case studies, and 75 practical exercises to help practitioners and students who have already mastered the basics, write enjoyable, compelling copy which stands out ...more
Published March 28th 2015 by Kogan Page (first published March 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Persuasive Copywriting, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)

Start your review of Persuasive Copywriting: Using Psychology to Influence, Engage and Sell
Darren
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What did you expect? A book about persuasive copywriting manages to be engaging, enthralling, informative, accessible and a pleasant read. What next? The Pope is Catholic?

A powerful combination of 25 different psychological techniques, 125 trigger words and phrases, case studies, quizzes and practical exercises is expertly weaved together by the author, a copywriting veteran, to pack one hell of a punch in a relatively slim book. The fine balancing act of being engaging and instructive for the b
Marianna Zelichenko
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
There is much to say in favour of this book.

First of all, Andy has a clear, engaging and humorous way of writing, so it's actually an enjoyable read, most of the time.
Second, it's packed with really good exercises that will help you become a better copywriter.

Okay, so maybe there are just two things to say in favour of this book, but to be fair, they are two pretty darn important things to say.

To balance it out, let me give you two things that really didn't work for me.

Some of the advice - inclu
Marloes  Oostindie
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, marcom
Goed boek voor iedereen die iets met contentcreatie doet! Ik ga zeker het ‘echte’ boek ook kopen. Het is makkelijk om als naslagwerk te gebruiken.
Bianca Smith
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’m a little scared to write this review. Persuasive Copywriting by Andy Maslen is one of the most useful copywriting books I have read. But will my writing make the grade?

Applying what I learned reading Persuasive Copywriting, all I need to do is present you, the reader, with the information to decide if this book is something that can solve a problem for you. So, let’s get to it.

Without getting flowery, you’ve clicked this link, so you’re wanting to make your writing more effective. This book
April
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is must-read for entrepreneurs, especially if you struggle with copywriting. I'm pretty darn good at copywriting and I got a lot out reading this book. ...more
Martha Aldridge
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Beyond a couple of useful hints the examples are appallingly reminiscent of Facebook click bait.
Rhodes Davis
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a good resource for people getting into copywriting or want to improve their persuasive writing ability. Following the principle that people purchase primarily from primal emotion then bring logic in to justify the decision, the author steps through principles then illustrates them with compelling examples. He also has provided good resources on his website to complement what’s in the book. The social media section is a touch dated but still valuable.

He does go on tangents like his
Paula
Jan 08, 2021 added it
If you know your reader, then be specific in your copy. (Ex. If you are writing copy for an airline membership, talk to your reader: "As someone who spends many hours in the air..." Use flattery. Directly appeal to ego. Aristotle, the Greek philosopher did: ethos, pathos, and logos (aka character, emotion, and argument.) Knowing reader=connecting.

Tell a story: 4 elements of story- the main character, the problem, what happened, the resolution. Use this method always in your storytelling.
Chris So
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It provides pratical and easy to digest techiniques on copywriting for business.
Anniken
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Even though this was required for school, I still liked it. It was easy to read, not to mention funny. I didn't even feel like I was reading this for school.

3/5 stars
Brenton Friday
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful and practical advice that I am sure will kickstart my copywriting career.
Noemi Valics
Great insight into how to write copy that really resonates with your target audience. The exercises from each chapter help you practice along reading.
Subjuntivo Subjuntivo
Aug 25, 2022 rated it did not like it
This is absolute BS.
Good copywriters do not need this. Stay away.
Babar Mir
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Practical and with useful tips and techniques.
Márcio Chiabotto
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I had to suggest only one book about copywriting to someone, this would be it. It has everything you need to sit down and start writing your first lines confident with the upcoming result.
Mr. Maslen created a masterpiece that contains everything you need: how to, examples, exercises, swipe files, suggestions, etc.
Whatever the price for this book is where you live (it was very expensive in Brasil), it is worth it.
Elizabeth
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: get-back-to
A compelling look at the how tos of using persuasive techniques as an effective marketing tool. This goes beyong copywriting basics and will be useful for anyone who needs to write about anything that they're trying to sell - online, offline, for websites, you name it, I can see an application for this book. As a small business owner, I'm always looking for ways to improve my techniques in ALL facets of my business, and marketing in general is usually one of the things that you don't even think ...more
Prasanna
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Persuasive Copywriting gives new and experienced writers the tools to do away with the early failures. Using the important devices in the book, writers can start successful campaigns from the beginning. ~ Persuasive Copywriting Summary ...more
Evey Winters
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will keep picking it up

This book is more of a reference. You should read it once, cover to cover, but only as a layout of the material. Then you can find what you need over and over again — it's definitely in there somewhere.
Z
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Faculty and academic librarians in undergraduate institutions will find this a useful addition to course readings or library collections. This book contains many useful examples and students will gain a better appreciation of the complexity of professional copywriting.
Teodora Grigorie
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great. Great. Great.
S.
Aug 25, 2022 rated it did not like it
This is absolute BS.
Good copywriters do not need this. Stay away.
Yen
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Scientific Advertising
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • The Bartering Mindset: A Mostly Forgotten Framework for Mastering Your Next Negotiation
  • Distress Investing: Principles and Technique
  • STARTUP MINDSET: Help Me Start a Business: 10 Lessons on How to Overcome Fear, Learn the Millionaire Start-up Mindset, & Become a Confident Leader
  • 30 Ways to Reboot Your Body: A Complete User Manual for Getting the Most Out of the Human Body
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • Best Job Ever!: Rethink Your Career, Redefine Rich, Revolutionize Your Life
  • 101 Answers for New Teachers and Their Mentors: Effective Teaching Tips for Daily Classroom Use
  • The Fortune Cookie Principle: The 20 Keys to a Great Brand Story and Why Your Business Needs One
  • 50 More Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food
  • The Psychology of Selling: Increase Your Sales Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • I Hate the Ivy League: Riffs and Rants on Elite Education
  • 21 Days to a Big Idea!: Creating Breakthrough Business Concepts
  • Mindful Self-Discipline: Living with Purpose and Achieving Your Goals in a World of Distractions
  • The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Art of Influencing Anyone
  • Side Hustles For Dummies
Andy Maslen was born in Nottingham, in the UK, home of legendary bowman Robin Hood.

Andy once won a medal for archery, although he has never been locked up by the sheriff.
He has worked in a record shop, as a barman, as a door-to-door DIY products salesman and a cook in an Italian restaurant.

He lives in Wiltshire with his wife, two sons and a whippet named Merlin.

News & Interviews