Start by marking “Where Are My Books?” as Want to Read:
Where Are My Books?

Where Are My Books?

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  789 Ratings  ·  164 Reviews
A boy investigates a squirrelly situation to track down his missing stories in this charming ode to book lovers of all kinds.

Spencer loves to read. He reads a book every night. But one morning his favorite book goes missing, and in its place is a tulip. Spencer searches high and low, but he can't find his book.

The next morning another book is missing, a nut in its place. A
Published May 12th 2015 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Where Are My Books?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Are My Books?

karen
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
too soon, man...

photo IMG_5153_zpsorva3s6l.jpg

i discovered this book soon after my own post-bedbug book diaspora, where my books were scattered into storage, into my dad's garage, or most distressingly - into the garbage.

the books in this story go on a far more whimsical and adorable journey and i hope and pray that all the books of mine in the bag that was "accidentally" thrown away are off having an adventure of their own. i miss them.

THIS IS MY HEART:

Miriam
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books, picture
Scarier than the monster under the bed! Disappearing books!
Ashlee Tominey
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed reading with my almost 2-year old that loves squirrels. This book has funny moments (Spencer begrudgingly having a tea party with his sister because he made her cry) and sweet moments (brother/sister/squirrel storytime before bed). Because of this book, my son said "aha!" for the first time :)
Erin
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Young Spencer loves his books. Before bed, he and his mom read his favorite, Night Night Narwhal, and then Spencer puts the book away in the same spot he always puts it on his bookshelf. Life is good, until the next morning when Spencer wakes up and the book is gone! He makes due with other titles, but the calamity continues as each night more books go missing. Where are his books?

Debbie Ridpath Ohi has created a fresh new book with appealing illustrations and an unexpected twist. Kids will love
Laura McLoughlin
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute story and illustrations. A good introduction on how libraries work (you do, eventually, have to give the books back). Kathryn enjoyed it (we read it 4 times in a row) and I'm kinda envious of Spencer's stuffed Narwhal.
Cheryl
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
What Jim said. This makes no sense. The pix are cute, the message about borrowing vs stealing is good, but ... uh... huh? ... whatever.
Jim Erekson
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
As mysteries go this one leans a bit too much on a deus ex machina. The solution to the mystery is something that no one could consider while reading and then be surprised as the 'how' unfolds. It's usually a maxim of mystery writing as I understand it, that the perp is available to me as a reader from the beginning. I think Ohi should have dropped some kind of hints about the squirrels in the illustrations (or maybe the text) from the early pages.
Elisabeth
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Where Are My Books? is so stinking cute! I think Spencer's search for his missing books will appeal to book lovers young and old. Loved the "twist" at the end and the narwhal. I received this book through interlibrary loan through the Mississippi Library Commission from the Carnegie Public Library of Clarksdale and Coahoma County.
The Styling Librarian
Where are my Books? by Debbie Ridpath Ohi – Oh what a darn hilarious book. Enjoyed and chuckled my way through it. My son thought it was a riot as well. So fun to read a picture book where I can’t guess at first who the villian is and when I find out who it is I just laugh and laugh. Fun and fantastic, highly recommended for a read aloud!
Celeste_pewter
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you follow my Instagram or Twitter account at all, you'll know that I'm a big fan of Debbie Ohi's. I think her ability to create art from every day things like food is brilliant, and brings much-needed joy into ordinary things.

We finally met at ALA back in June, and she was as delightful as I thought. So when Simon & Schuster kindly sent me her book Where Are My Books?, I couldn't wait to dig in.

Ohi introduces us to Spencer, a young boy who loves his bedtime stories. However, one mornin
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Rounding up from 2.5-ish.

I love books. I was an English major in college. Before my son was born, I averaged 2-3 books a week. So it should come as no surprise that I seek out children's books about books for him (and me, if I'm honest). And I want to love them so.

I was disappointed in this book. It's a cute story, but it confused me. The first two-thirds are firmly rooted in reality. Or at least, we're given no reason to think otherwise. Then the book thief is revealed, and Bam!, we're in cute
Bmack
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read aloud for older preschool and kindergarten students. I use it for my lesson about caring for our books. You could also do it for a book or library themed storytime. Spencer loves books but they keep disappearing from his shelf one by one. It all started with Night-Night, Narwhal and then Tenacious Todd and Send in the Clown Fish among others! He decided to set a trap by wrapping string around a book and then around his stuffed Narwal so when the book was taken off the shelf ...more
Margie
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Readers are keenly aware of the books they keep in their personal space. Whether they have one set of shelves or several bookcases, each title read or unread is like a treasured friend. Regardless of whatever organizational system is used, if one should become misplaced, the reader knows.

Like all good friendships, it's important to stay connected. Where Are My Books? (Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers, May 12, 2015), a debut title both written and illustrated by Debbie Ridpath Ohi is
Elizabeth Bartos
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book like I find most books... the artwork grabs my attention. While the illustrations were colorful fun and, at times, larger than life, I felt the story was lacking. The plot seemed a little slow and I did not enjoy the conclusion. I was expecting something bigger or more exciting. Although the delivery of this books message was very direct and important and that is don't keep your books all to your yourself, share the joy of reading with others.
Selena
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, read-aloud
Super cute book! Great for kids that are protective of their books. I can't wait to read it to the summer reading group next week. Perfect to help them see how to take care of their books or their library books at home.
Mississippi Library Commission
Kids are going to love reading Where Are My Books?--Spencer is on the hunt for his missing books and the culprit will have them howling with laughter. Large, vivid illustrations complement the simple text.
Karin
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A boy sets out to solve the mystery of where his books are disappearing to every night. Definitely had an ending that I didn't expect. Cute story.
Liza Nahas
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Simple but cute story & illustrations.
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
More squirrels. Might be a little long for a young audience, but I think I'll try it as a complement to My Cousin Momo.
Amanda
Nicola
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, autism
We both really liked this book. Although the main character isn't autistic there are aspects to the story so that he could be (which appeals to my Miss ASD). He really, really likes 'Goodnight Narwhal'. He has to have the same book for bedtime every night and has a narwhal soft toy. He has other books but they're meant to be read at certain times too (like after lunch). When his books begin to go missing he decides to investigate...

Other things I liked: Dad doing gardening (I realized why the tu
Lia Brent
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Although much less dependent on illustrations to tell its story, Where Are My Books? by Debbie Ridpath Ohi still has visual humorous pages that enhance the words of the story. However, I must admit that when the boy finds out where his books are disappearing to every night, I was let down. I felt that it wasn’t as logical as Sam & Eva and I just could not accept the proposed theory. It jolted me out of the story and the story stopped flowing for me then. However, I liked how the boy solv ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Where Are My Books? is an adorably whimsical read about a young boy whose books have gone missing. As someone who is quite devastated any time a book vanishes, I can relate to his plight. The ending absolutely charmed me. The illustrations are cute. I would definitely recommend this for anyone in need of a picture book.
Kathleen
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm always a sucker for books about books and this is a fun quick read. This is a funny book with some puns that will likely go over the kids heads (Send in the Clown Fish). A great book for those times when you agree to "just one more story". Short and sweet.
Anthony
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Spencer loved to read books, but one by one his books are disappearing. Spencer sets a trap to solve the mystery of his missing books, and who is taking them. He follows the sprung trap and finds his missing books, and a surprise when he discovers who the culprits are.
Emily
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Where Are My Books? neatly sparks discussions about borrowing and returning library books. The kinders love guessing who's stealing Spencer's books and totally relate to his frustration when he can't find them.
Kenson and kirra
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought this book was funny. at first i wasn't sure what was going on, but by the end, i was laughing. We borrow almost all our books from the library, but i have a few i can keep at home. i wouldn't like it if they were missing
Kelly
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spencer loves his books. But one night, his favorite book goes missing! And the next night, another! Who is taking the books?
Tom Franklin
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really, an excellent book with a wonderful twist. Ohi's writing and illustrations are spot on.
Catherine Austen
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super cute. (Spoiler: I can't resist a clever rodent.) Unusual illustrations, great plot, adorable critters. With some library lessons, too.
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
  • Surf's Up
  • The Snatchabook
  • To the Sea
  • The Lonely Book
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
Debbie Ridpath Ohi writes and illustrates books for young people. She is the illustrator of I'M BORED, a picture book written by Michael Ian Black (Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers, Sept/2012) (New York Times Notable Children's Book Of 2012 & a Junior Library Guild Selection) as well as NAKED!, a picture book also by Michael Ian Black (S&S BFYR, 2014). NAKED! was included in Sc ...more
More about Debbie Ridpath Ohi

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Labyrinths (New Directions Paperbook)
    $15.95 $2.99
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)