Start by marking “Galgorithm” as Want to Read:
Galgorithm

Galgorithm

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  639 Ratings  ·  163 Reviews
A romantic comedy that's "a good choice for fans of John Green" (Booklist) about high school, heartbreak, and having all the answers.

What if the secrets of dating and love were revealed in one simple formula? That's the tantalizing proposition high school senior Shane Chambliss offers the hopeless and hapless guys who come to him for relationship advice.

After the girl of h
Published May 5th 2015 by Simon Pulse

Jacob McCabe
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and good. I laughed out loud sometimes, so there's that.

AND MY SISTER'S NAME IS IN THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS SO EVERYONE BUY IT NAOW
Angy Potter - Collector of Book Boyfriends
 photo galgorithm_zpsvbvjo5cm.jpg

BOOK REVIEW: 5 STARS
If you ever want to read something different, funny, almost drama free and from the perspective of a man, read Galgorithm. This is the story about Shane. After having his heart broken at the age of 15, he decided to study girls and find the PERFECT FORMULA for boys to date the girls of their dreams. For years it worked perfectly for others, but when he finally decided to use it himself, things went crazy.

There are so many things to love about this book: Jak, Shane’s friends
Katrina Leno
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-read
I had the distinct pleasure of reading an advance copy of this book. It was entertaining from start to finish, always believable and truly funny. I rarely read comedy but always make an exception for Aaron Karo's books!
Milka

Before diving into Galgorithm, I wasn't familiar with Aaron Karo's writing. I had seen some clips from his stand-up shows, but all in all, I didn't know what to expect. Due to the fact that I quite often find myself struggling with YA novels exclusively from the point of view of the male character, I must admit that I wasn't going into this novel with too many expectations of actually liking it. Galgorithm proved to me how good it feels to be positively surprised once in a while.

The main charact
Bibliojunkies
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After a terrible heartbreaking love affair ended at the very tender age of 14 (or was it 15? Whatever..) Shane Chambliss chose to protect his heart by concentrating on helping the other woeful geeks at school get the girl of their dreams. He’s developed a “formula” which he has chosen to call the Galgorithm. A little tongue in cheek homage to his dad’s sexist insistence on referring to women, gals. Shane is basically a teenage Hitch, helping guys up their game so they can get the girl. A great s ...more
Becca
Whoa. This book was phenomenal. I absolutely loved it, and I don't think there's ever been such a plot twist like this in any book I've read. It made the story seem more intense while you were trying to figure out what the algorithm was, but... You'll have to read to know what I'm talking about. :)
Galgorithm was a wild ride from start to finish and I enjoyed every minute of reading it. There's nothing I enjoy more than reading books by authors I've never heard of, because then I get to see how o
Dian
Funny. Sweet. Adorable.

At first, I have doubts with this book. Usually, I find books that are written by a man and with a guy's POV quite boring, especially on light stories like this. But when my co-worker read it and I could hear her laughing from time to time, I was intrigued and I was proved wrong. "Galgorithm" doesn't have a dull moment at all. There were a lot of time that I laughed really loud out of the blue because the humor's just hard to contain. Everything that came from the author t
Colette
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
In the end this book just didn't excite me. The storyline seemed predictable and lack-luster. While the idea behind the plot had promise, the execution lacked greatness. Overall 2/5 stars; I loved the cover though!
Mariam
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5

Loved this book, absolutely adorable and just what I need & was in the mood for!
Tricia
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, funny
I loved this book!! It was hilarious from start to finish, the characters were relate-able, and the pacing was magnificent.

I could not put it down, from "compliment her on her eyelashes" to the very last "make her notice you", this book was a roller coaster of laughs. Like a Hitch for teenagers, Shane helps the nerdy boys at his high school get the girls of their dreams. He has tips and tricks for everything from how to stand out so she knows you exist to how long to wait between text messages.
Hannah
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quick and fun read. Shane was a likable guy even though he ran a business in high school where he helped guys pick up girls. I liked his friend Jak. She made me laugh a lot. The ending was kind of predictable like most people said but lets be honest there isn't enough ideas for each book to be 100% different.
Kevin
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book reminded me of my favorite '80s teen rom-com movie, Can't Buy Me Love (the Ronald Millers of the world getting brought together with their Cindy Mancinis), and I would love to see this book made into a movie.
Andrea Dillon
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book read like a John Hughes film. It was wonderful. I felt like I was 15, at home in pajamas and watching a mix of pretty in pink/some kind of wonderful/can't buy me love. I know, I know Can't buy me love is Rash and Swerdlick not Hughes but you get my drift. I loved this book!
Lyssie
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jak will forevermore be everything I want to aspire to. She will be my spirit animal—for now and forever. I never actually realised how fulfilling it is to say "whom".
Roxanne
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I don't think I'd ever read a book that had me constantly laughing out loud! And it was so great to read a romantic comedy from a guy's perspective! Such a fun and sweet read, and I really enjoyed all the little subplots too!
Justin
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Contemporary romance novels written by male authors aren't an extremely common thing in young adult literature. There are definitely some notable ones, but it still isn’t that common. I think it’s great when we see a male author taking a chance in a genre that is heavily dominated by female authors. Galgorithm is one of those books that really surprised me. It has a very unique feel to it, which I feel is partially aided by having an author that is also a comedian. The book has it’s own unique s ...more
Rachel's Book Reviews
4 stars

Cute! Review soon

!---Review---!

Aw! This was cute!

I went into it expecting a math-y rom-com, but I’m not entirely sure that’s what I got. A rom-com? Sure, but math-y? Not really.

I’m not sure if that was disappointing or relieving since I hate/am terrible at advanced arithmetic. There were some cute moments scattered throughout, but I feel like the gem in this book, isn’t its humor. It’s its sincerity.

The way he cares for his best friend Jak is really endearing. The way he knows her, her
Stacey Conrad
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, libby, hs-copy
Shane has fashioned himself into a modern day Cyrano de Bergerac, after having his own heart broken. He wants to spare other guys from the humiliation of failure. All they need is confidence and a plan. Shane has the plan, and he’s willing to share. Shane is a very likable guy who just wants to help other guys. He’s not seeking payment and he’d rather not advertise his services or have others spread the information either. “Deny ‘til you die.” is his motto. Shane’s best friend Jak, a girl, knows ...more
Sherry
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Galgorithm, by Aaron Karo, was such a cute read.There is nothing earth shatteringly original to the plot—a guy who’s had his heart broken formulates a plan to use his observations about women to help nerdy guys get the girl, in part to avoid his own love life—but the story was filled with loveable characters that you want to see succeed. I really liked Shane. He was selfless with a really a good heart and managed to avoid coming off like a martyr or goody goody. His best friend Jak was completel ...more
grieshaber_reads
This book was so much fun! While I was reading, if I wasn’t literally laughing out loud, I was smiling. It’s got a Sway-Hitch-When Harry Meets Sally vibe. It’s pretty clean and it’s absolutely adorable. Shane knows how to help a guy get a girl. In fact, he’s developed this know-how into an algorithm (get it? A gal-gorithm?). The only problem is it’s not working for him, personally. What’s a guy to do? Filled with lovable characters, hilarious circumstances, and witty banter, I highly recommend t ...more
Sarah Bell
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
So okay. This book had a lot of great points to it. It was funny, it was relatable, and it had that one thing that made it stand out to me. Though it was good it wasn't amazing. It had to do a lot with the writing and how it was too simple at times. The writer felt like he was trying to get the reader to like the book because it was appealing to nowadays age. It felt forced at times which never felt right with me. I was more intrigued with the actual Galgorithm this guy made up then his storylin ...more
Denia Books and Baubles®
This book was cool, I believe that in my other reviews I'd never called a book cool, but this one for me meets the criteria..
If you are a girl, and the "Galgorithm" was applied to you, how would feel?
I would feel actually honored. For a guy to go trough all that process for me is just simply unbelievable, and the fact that he asked someone to help him is really impressive. At first it will be a bit weird, but then shuck it, we do like each other after all.
I believe that when the school started j
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 10

I took an immediate and strong dislike to the narrative voice in Galgorithm. It's basically a YA version of the film Hitch, which could be awesome. Something about the voice just really grates on me though.

The first sentence is "The key to a girl's heart is through her eyelashes." Some of his best advice is complimenting a girl's eyelashes because it's unusual and I don't know about that. There's also just something about the way the narrator describes stuff to the audience like he
Kobi
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jumanji
I've been dying to read this book and I wasn't disappointed once I got it. Shane has created a Galgorithm (Gal+Algorithm) to get girls and he shares it with the 'uncool' kids. Shane's best friend since birth, Jak, has no clue about Shane's secret life. Her mom and Shane's mom were best friends in college and being around each other so often has caused Shane and Jak to have a very unique relationship. Soon everyone's asking for Shane's help, even his math teacher. While Shane know a lot about gir ...more
Larissa Rapadas
Jul 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ugh it's so bad I don't know how these reviews even go past 3 stars

I was in physical pain trying to get past half of the book. It honestly felt like I was trying to read the bible, it felt so long and not a single emotion was provoked except exhaustion.

This book was exhausting.
Nope. Just nope.
Stephanie • Ideally Inspired
This was such an all-around entertaining read! I'm a sucker for humorous book from a male POV, and this book delivered in spades.

Galgorithm was relatable, endearing, and clever.

I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it!

*full review to come*

A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Sarah (YA Love)

I had fun listening to Galgorithm. It's predictible, but sometimes I need something predictible and light. I know my students will dig right into Aaron Karo's newest release and enjoy it. If you like the movie Hitch, you'll like this as well.
Yari
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A sweet story. Similar humor to John Green and just as enjoyable.
Tracy Bilen
  • My Soon-To-Be Sex Life
  • How Could I Ask for More: Stories of Blessings, Battles, and Beauty
  • 2076
  • Consent
  • Losing at Love (Outer Banks Tennis Academy, #2)
  • Remember
  • All We Left Behind
  • Everything Changes
  • The Resilient Runner: Mental Toughness Training for Endurance Runners
  • Pearl
  • Destination Unknown (Roadside Assistance #2)
  • Three Day Summer
  • The Kidney Hypothetical: Or How to Ruin Your Life in Seven Days
Aaron Karo is an author, comedian, and TV writer. His books include “Me You Us,” “Lexapros and Cons,” “I’m Having More Fun Than You,” “Ruminations on Twentysomething Life,” and “Ruminations on College Life.” He was born and raised in New York, currently lives in Los Angeles, and always pays on the first date.

twitter.com/aaronkaro
facebook.com/aaronkaro
instagram.com/aaronkaro
sna
More about Aaron Karo

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • I Capture the Castle
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Jak looks at me mock-longingly and spouts three more random Spanish words: "Amor y cacahuetes."
"Love and peanuts?" I ask.
Jak nods. "Love and peanuts.”
1 likes
“In my line of work, there are no money-back guarantees, because there's no money involved. These are people, not vacuum cleaners.” 0 likes