Start by marking “The Entertainer” as Want to Read:
The Entertainer

The Entertainer

A hilarious new picture book about a bear and a little boy's birthday party from acclaimed author and illustrator, Emma Dodd.

When an entertainer dressed as a big cuddly bear arrives at a little boy's birthday party, the children are delighted. He makes them hoot with laughter as he drinks water from the vase, goes wild on his skateboard, and bursts all the balloons. But
Published June 2nd 2015 by little bee books

To ask other readers questions about The Entertainer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Entertainer

Start your review of The Entertainer
Jason
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-cass
Some very clever rhyming in this book. Not much else to say really, my daughter found this really good and rated it 5 stars, she usually gives that rating to books where she can shout out.
Kristine Hansen
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone absolutely loved this book.

Silly fun where a bear shows up a child's birthday party and is mistaken for the entertainer, there's just too much craziness that will leave your little one giggling through the entire book. My personal favorite picture was where the bear ate the entire meal and was draped out over the table. This is one of those book to grab for just some fun time with your child.
Kathleen
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-to-read, ip-read
What kid doesn't want a birthday party with a skateboaring juggling bear as the entertainer. Only this bear has something strange about it, which only the reader seems to be aware of. Best. Party. Ever.
Jen Bojkov
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Funny book about a real bear that shows up as the entertainer for a party. No wonder his behavior is wild! Older kids will enjoy being in on the joke- younger kids will love the surprise at the end.
Loyal
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: skylars-shelf
A cute book. The entertainer shows up for the birthday party, but he's making rather a mess.
Maude Ragsdale
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rhyming! Cute and Sweet
Nicole Darrow
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute, great for a storytime.
Joey Hines
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is a descendant of The Cat in the Hat in plot and character, but not in spirit. A mischievous bear shows up at a birthday party and breaks all the rules. The flow of the story suffers from an inconsistent rhyme scheme and didactic post-it note asides. For instance, when the bear slips off a skateboard and lands on the floor with a lampshade on his head, a yellow box imposed over the illustration tells us:

"It's always best, you know, I'm sure,
to pick your toys up from the floor.
The
Nick
Nov 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A really cute story idea, with nice illustrations, but the clunky verse form cost it a star. If you're going to tell a story in verse, it should actually work as verse. Forced rhymes and bad scansion were rampant, to the point where it would be difficult to read aloud. It was disconcerting to read silently, since rhymes that would have worked in the British version were apparently Americanized into not working. For instance Mom doesn't rhyme with Come, although if the original said Mum, it would ...more
Heidi-Marie
The story and illustrations are great. The text, not so much. The rhyming was jerky in many places and didn't flow. I think older kids will enjoy. Not sure how well this would go off in preschool storytime, but I want to keep it as a possibility.

2/3/16 A few pages in I tried to get the kids to see the difference on how an adult would be reacting versus what they were seeing with the bear. They started to get the humor a bit, but didn't fully get it until they saw the man in the bear suit show up
Jillian
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Alas, this one really missed the mark for me. The rhyme scheme struggled, in part because the meter was wobbly. I had to read and re-read a few pages to try to get the flow, and it just didn't work.
The little "post-its" with rhymes about manners seemed too contrived. Either it's a silly book about a bear at a kids' party or it's a more serious story with lessons to be learned. Dodd tried to make it both things at once.
If I were to read this to kids, I'd absolutely skip over the manners parts,
Courtenay
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Perhaps I'm being too much of a stickler but I found the rhyme and meter didn't quite do it for me, with awkward phrasing in places; I guess I'm expecting far more perfection from rhyming children's books these days since the market has been flooded by books that are "close but not quite there." The concept was cute, and I'm sure kids will enjoy this book but I felt, frankly, it needed some good editing. Sorry...
Jenna
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Today's favorite. Cute, silly, and with a perfect rhythm that bounced as we went. Bright and colorful illustrations. I wish there had been one more page at the end, or perhaps a larger version of the visitor at the door for the storytime crowd to see the difference between the entertainers.

And if I hadn't been tired out from all our songs, I might've been tempted to spin around just like the entertainer.
Helen
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
The last of the six picture books on the list for Childrens Book Day.
I liked this one best. There are 'post it notes' giving the reader advice relevant to what is happening on the page which draws the reader in and makes them a part of the action. The bear is cute - if problematic for the parents. The kids love him, of course. The illustrations were less brash than most of the others on the list, so naturally I liked them better. I really enjoyed this one, and would read it again.
The Literacy Advocate
Very clever narration in this adorable story about a party-crashing bear who, via rhyming side notes, reminds the reader of the value of polite and considerate behavior. However, the tone and verbiage of the side notes is decidedly adult, and the clever delivery of the gentle lessons may be missed by its intended (young) audience.
Marya
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I generally like Emma Dodd as an artist, and here the energy of the illustrations match the energy of the birthday party. The text is a delightful romp, divided into the bear/entertainer's antics and sidenotes on proper birthday party etiquette. Fun yet educational!
Nola
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A bear turns up at a child's birthday party and is put to work entertaining the kids. All the children love him, but he's not quite what Mum and Dad were expecting. He makes a mess, eats all the food, burps and slurps. But has there been a mix-up?

A fun book, with good rhyme and illustrations.
Great Books
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ages-5-8
For Billys birthday party, the entertainer is a huge cuddly bear that his parents hired. The excited children love as the bear juggles fruit, eats flowers, and zooms around the room on a skateboard. The only thing that puzzles everyone is-wheres the zipper on the costume? Reviewer #9 ...more
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Whimsically wonderful and in rhyme!
Casandria
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, preschool
Funny hi-jinks ensue when a real bear shows up at a party rather than "the entertainer".
Cosette
Shelves: storytime-books
Ha! Super cute.
Megan
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A good lesson on manners & why real bears do not make the best party performers.
Bethany
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You never know what will happen when you hire an entertainer for a birthday party!
Rachel
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Solid rhyme and story, with a few didactic passages that help in the learning of manners.
Dan
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed The Entertainer. With its humor and rhyme scheme, this is sure to be a big hit as a read aloud.
Ann

• Don't Call Me Bear!
  • Owls Are Good at Keeping Secrets: An Unusual Alphabet
  • I Am a Cat
  • Where Teddy Bears Come from
  • My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)
  • Where Oliver Fits
  • Say What?
  • Dogs Don't Do Ballet
  • There Was an Old Giant Who Swallowed a Clock
  • There's a Dragon in Your Book
  • Maurice the Unbeastly
  • Hats Are Not for Cats!
  • Samson: the Mighty Flea!
Emma Dodd Author/Illustrator

Emma was brought up in Guildford, Surrey, in a family of artists and from as far back as she can remember she has wanted to be an illustrator.
Emma studied Graphic Design and Illustration at Central Saint Martin's School of Art and has worked extensively in advertising, editorial and book illustration.
She was nominated for the Booktrust Early Years Award in 2006 for her