Start by marking “In the Canyon” as Want to Read:
In the Canyon

In the Canyon

Pull on your hiking boots and get ready to see the magnificent Grand Canyon! From the author of the Caldecott Honoree All the World, here is a marvelous celebration of one of our nation’s natural wonders.

Experience the Grand Canyon through the eyes of a child who is seeing it for the very first time. From soaring vistas and cloud-swept skies to tiny lizards and almost-invi
Published August 18th 2015 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about In the Canyon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Canyon

GalindoLibrarian
Beautiful picture book introduction to the beauty of the desert/canyon ecosystem that is the Grand Canyon, but also to the hiking/camping experience and connecting with the beauty of nature. I love how it ends with the moon and the grand wildness getting tucked inside to keep. That's why I go camping! I hope it encourages youngsters and families to have some nature adventures wherever they are!
Conrad Wesselhoeft
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Maybe it's because I've hiked this trail--though made it only three quarters of the way down (". . . it's getting steep, and there's the river, way down deep!") before slogging back in 109-degree heat. Or maybe it's because of Ashley Wolff's gorgeously meditative illustrations that capture both the vast sweep and awesome minutiae of the Grand Canyon. Or maybe it's the soft-chiming music of Liz Garton Scanlon's text ("Here's the dark, and here's the shine, and here's the moon--it's like it's mine ...more
Margie
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Take a trip down into the Grand Canyon from rim to river noting all the fauna along the way. Told in rhyme through the eyes of an observant young girl. The illustrations are gorgeous. Includes author's note, glossary and sources for further information.
paula
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Block print and fabulous glowing dusty colors take us down down down to the floor of the Grand Canyon.
Karen Gedeon
In the Canyon by Liz Garton Scanlon Illustrated by Ashley Wolff takes young readers in PreK- grade 2 on a poetic hike through the Grand Canyon. Starting at the top, the narration follows a girl as she hikes down to the bottom of the canyon and camps overnight discovering native plants and animals along the way. Beautiful full color illustrations made in block print and colored with gouache will attract even the pickiest of young readers. End pages give readers an age appropriate map of the canyo ...more
Hope Decker
This is a fantastic picture book following a little girl's trip into the Grand Canyon. As I am preparing for a trip myself, I learned a lot for this colorful story told in verse. There is a glossary in the back that taught me a thing or two about the wildlife in the Colorado Plateau--condor's wingspan can be as large as 9 1/2 feet, and Red-Tailed Hawks will drop rattlesnakes from extreme heights to make sure they are dead before they eat them!
David Smither
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very well-written poem about walking down the Grand Canyon, complete with resplendent illustrations. Suitable for grades K-3.
Unique Feature: Glossary in the back.
Genre: Poetry (Real genre: Science Verse)
Hannah
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature-books
Excellent book about canyons and life in the desert!
Donna Mork
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rhyming
Cute story about traveling into the Grand Canyon.
Elsa
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple rhyming text, absolutely stunning (linoleum?) print-and-watercolor illustrations.
Sandy Brehl
Scanlon's rhyming text blends expository content with poetic adventure in this engaging story of a girl's travels to the "rocky cup" of the Grand Canyon floor. The illustrator's intensely colored and detailed images, often accented with heavy black lines and effective perspectives, will take readers along on a physically and emotionally engaging story. Back matter clarifies some terms and phrasing, clearly written by someone who knows the Grand Canyon first hand and shares the narrator's affecti ...more
Juliana Lee
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Romelle
Author Liz Garten Scanlon takes readers on an adventure through the Grand Canyon tantalizing our senses in this simple, rhyming text. This is a great book especially for those planning on visiting the Grand Canyon to get them excited (not that they need any help with that). Illustrator, Ashley Wolff, did a beautiful job capturing life in the canyon. The back of the book includes an author's note about her visit to the Grand Canyon, a glossary, and resources for further reading.
Lin Lin
The author and the illustrator guides readers for a wonderful tour of the Grand Canyon. During the hiking trip, readers will get acquainted with camp jay, squirrel, vole, cactus, lizard, condor, hawk, the Colorado River, and the Grand Canyon. Readers will meet the rangers, who keep hikers and visitors informed about the fauna of the place.
Anna Fillmore
Terrific illustration, terrific language, terrific spirit. Lovely the way the book, in one page turn at the end, moves the reader from appreciating the unique and exotic (for me, at least!) wild environment found in the Grand Canyon to realizing wild beauty is found wherever we are. Love, love, love it.
Marcie
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Put this in sports although not sure hiking or riding down the Grand Canyon counts, however I can see this as a nice read for families taking such a trip and it did make me want to see what I haven't up close. I do like the Ashley Wolff illustrations but find the rhyming text not up to amazing All the World.
Stephanie
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beginning at the top of the Grand Canyon, this book takes the reader on a tour of this natural wonder. Along the way specific animals are mentioned and the feeling of the environment is described. The text and vivid illustrations of linoleum block prints, black ink, and gouache, draw the reader in. This book can help people experience the Grand Canyon and the life that it supports.
Lynn
Rhyming text tells the story of what a girl sees on her trip through the Grand Canyon. Unexpected endings shows her living in the city, looking out her window at the moon and remembering her trip.
Up close, bold illustrations with thick outlines show the various wildlife. Endpapers show map of the canyon.
Katie Fitzgerald
Very disappointing. I was hoping for another All the World, but this is so flat by comparison. I usually like Ashley Wolff, but these illustrations didn't seem to help the text at all.
Diane
A poetic journey that includes the sights, the sounds, the feelings of a hike to the bottom of a canyon. Beautiful illustrations accompany this memorable text. Author's note, glossary and a bibliography for further reading is included.
Charlotte
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
We enjoyed this picture book about hiking down into the Grand Canyon. It rhymes without sounding hokey. The illustrations feel like a perfect match fort he text. You can feel the author's passion for experiencing nature. The beauty is in pausing to notice the details of each step, each moment.
Sheri
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Simple rhyming story about he sights in the Grand Canyon as a child hikes there. The illustrations are beautiful and colorful but not the real pictures. At the back are definitions of the words for flora and fauna in the canyon.
Patricia McLaughlin
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Gorgeous illustrations, compelling story told in easy-to-read rhymes; lovely ending
Lynn
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Simple rhyming text and gorgeous illustrations with an evocative palette.
Annie
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
The illustrations here were beautiful, but I actually wanted more narrative! Not a bad resource though for teaching physical geography.
Edward Sullivan
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, nature
Excellent illustrations by Ashley Wolff but the simple narrative written in rhyming couplets sometimes falls flat.
Jodie
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Story about the Grand Canyon.
Read  Ribbet
Liz Garton provides a rhymed trip through the Grand Canyon as Ashley Wolff captures the natural beauty in her illustrations sharing a memorable look at this well known attraction.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mpl, picture-books
Take a rhyming adventure into the Grand Canyon! Follow along as one young girl walks from the rim to the river and takes not of different wild life and along the way.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Alyx Campbell
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I enjoyed the illustrations but the text was off the mark

• Follow the Moon Home: A Tale of One Idea, Twenty Kids, and a Hundred Sea Turtles (Children's Story Books, Sea Turtle Gifts, Moon Books for Kids, Children's Environment Books, Kid's Turtle Books)
  • Thunder Underground
  • Scaly Spotted Feathered Frilled: How do we know what dinosaurs really looked like?
  • Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring The Earth To Life
  • Crow Smarts: Inside the Brain of the World's Brightest Bird
  • How the Sun Got to Coco's House
  • Tiny Stitches: The Life of Medical Pioneer Vivien Thomas
  • Look to the North: A Wolf Pup Diary
Liz Garton Scanlon is the author of numerous beloved books for young people, including the highly-acclaimed, Caldecott-honored picture book All the World, illustrated by Marla Frazee, and her debut novel for middle grade readers, The Great Good Summer, as well as The Good-Pie Party; Happy Birthday, Bunny!; Noodle & Lou, and several others. Ms. Scanlon is also a poet, a teacher and a frequent & ...more