Start by marking “The Creeping” as Want to Read:
The Creeping

The Creeping

Eleven years ago, Stella and Jeanie disappeared. Only Stella came back.

Now all she wants is a summer full of cove days, friends, and her gorgeous crush - until a fresh corpse leads Stella down a path of ancient evil and secrets.

Stella believes remembering what happened to Jeanie will save her. It won’t.

She used to know better than to believe in what slinks through the shad
Published August 18th 2015 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Creeping, please sign up.
Brandon Adleman Stand alone, I would not want to see a continuation ruin the good ending.
Bridget This is geared towards high school due to some of the content. However, as an adult I really enjoyed it as well.
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
441 books — 3,377 voters
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,466 books — 8,888 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2015, horror
"If you hunt for monsters, you'll find them."

3 1/2 stars. Wow. I hadn't dared to hope that this book would actually satisfy my craving for a creepy book just in time for Halloween, but The Creeping really is a strange and unsettling story.

I've heard this premise so many times. Two children disappear in a small town, only one returns. The "survivor" cannot remember what happened to them. The other child is never found. In this case, the two children are Jeanie and our narrator - Stella. And whe
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
In the instant before I make contact, the sludge shifts and bubbles under me and I’m knocked forward against the coffin lid. The jolt rocks her head to the side, but the red hair and the flap of skin that is her scalp stay put. “Naked” is the word my brain vomits. Her head is hairless. Skinned. Scalped. The membrane that she should be wearing as a crown is disconnected, limp in the mud, only placed near so it might look as though she’s in one piece.
This book has a similar premise as In the Wo
karen
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
this might be the only horror novel in the world to feature the word "amazeballs" on its final page.

despite that claim to fame, this book wasn't as spooky as its cover, and the following paragraph is a perfect example of what made this such a frustrating read for me:

"Have I ever told you about my grandmother?" he says.

My mouth purses, and I shake my head once.

"My grandma, my dad's mother, used to scare us kids to bed with stories when she visited us in Florida. She grew up here, in these woods."
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“You wanna know what goes bump in the night? I do. I’m the fucking monster.”

Welllllll . . . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

WARNING: I really channeled my inner Dorothy Zbornak on this one. Don’t bother complaining about the gif usage. If you aren’t a fan of The Golden Girls you probably don’t belong anywhere near my review space to begin with.

The Creeping is the story of Stella – the “one who got away.” While playing with her friend Jeanie as a kid something
Silea
Jan 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, fiction, vine, dnf, just-don-t
This book contains two major plot arcs, which seem to be equally important as far as the main character, Stella, is concerned.

1) Whoever murdered her childhood best friend is back, killing again, and Stella's probably next on the list.
2) So, like, she's dating this hot guy she doesn't like much because he's dumb, but he's super hot, and her bestie insists that she has to date a hottie because popular girls date hot jocks. But her ex from her tween years is so dreamy, and her tummy gets all flutt
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sorry guys, this book just wasn't for me. The writing was decent, but I never once liked any of the characters, which made it very difficult to care about what happened to them. I thought they were pretty awful people from beginning to end. And although the story started off as intriguing, I really really struggled to get through it.

I really enjoyed this author's other book, The Telling, so I think this was just a weird case of not clicking with the story. I'll definitely read more from her in
Monica
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5
La historia es muy buena, me encantó que hablara sobre leyendas nórdicas, el bosque como elemento constante dentro de la trama fue otro acierto.
Otra cosa a su favor es que el romance es minimo, porque al principio me dio la idea equivocada de que tendría una cantidad razonable de relleno y fue muy pero muy bueno descubrir que no fe así.
El misterio estuvo presente todo el tiempo y las escenas paranormales le daban una dosis de tensión que te enganchaba para no soltarlo hasta saberlo todo.
La e
Wendy Darling
The Creeping ...is not creepy.

DNF around 150 pages. I can see the character development setting up, but meh. I just don't care enough about anybody to go on, and neither the mystery (one we've seen many times before) nor the writing particularly wowed me. This book is also reaaally long and somewhat convoluted for what it is--I skimmed the rest and had to flip back and forth a few times at the end to see what actually happened.

It's fine. It just wasn't the thrilling read I was hoping for.

An a
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

The Creeping was a novel I was initially very excited about but when I dove in, I had a hard time really connecting to the characters. I LOVED the creepiness of it, and the dark atmosphere but when it came to the characters, there was only one I liked and he happened to be the love interest I thought the female lead did not deserve.

Half way through the book, I was ready to DNF because the characters were insanely frustrating but instead I p
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
4.5/5 stars

I can't believe I read this book 9 months early! But, I couldn't help myself. The minute I read the synopsis, I just knew I HAD to read the book. And I'm so glad I followed that instinct.

There's a reason I love murder mysteries and thrillers. The thrill of the chase, the trying to figure out what happened before the author reveals it... These things bring me great joy. But typically, I find myself a bit disappointed by the ending. The big reveal never seems to measure up to the actual
Jillian
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it

okay this genuinely scared me at times. it filled me with a sense of dread and i will be reading the rest of alexandra sirowy's books! this is a great halloween read if you're looking for something really creepy and something that messes with your head.
Jo
Aug 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF at 50%. I just couldn't bring myself to finish this one. The mystery wasn't compelling enough to wade through the train wreck relationship between Zoey and Stella. Who thinks that way? I honestly don't think normal teens think about sex and status as much as these two did. And their friendship was completely dysfunctional. I seldom DNF a book, but this one didn't show any signs of improving.
Caroline Watson
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me reading until 4am. It was seriously smart and twisty. No spoilers here but I did not see the ending coming. Can't stop thinking about it. Stella is such an awesome main character and her best friends were the funniest and bravest girls. I'm totally in love with this book.
Nicki
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great scary book! I have another new favorite author. Monster hunting at its best. Two little girls go out to play but only one returns. There's something BAD in the woods.
Jennie Damron
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Very creepy and semi disturbing, but not scary. I loved the main character Stella. She was well thought out, strong, but willing to own her flaws and mistakes. The romance left little to be desired, but the suspense was on point. Once I had this book in my hands it was really hard to put it down. I'm glad my daughter said, "Mom why don't you try this book." She really does have great taste in reading material.
Rebecca McNutt
Not terrible or anything, but this is probably a book I'd never read again, not only because the romance overshadows the plot, but also because it's an unmemorable, unoriginal kind of paranormal novel.
Lala BooksandLala
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was such a surprise! I didn't have the highest hopes for this, but it was so good! I would have given it a 5/5 if not for the cheesiness of the final quarter of the novel. The excessive movie-like villain monologue that lasted pages and pages (view spoiler), the knight in shining armor scene, the overdone "something tragic just happened, let's immediately have sex" moment etc.
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Holy Hades be prepared to be creeped out by this book because it was really creepy and scary all at the same time. I was reading this book in the dark to so I was like I need to turn on a lamp because lordy lordy I started to really get scared.

This unique story is about two best friends who disappear for only one to come back and the other to stay missing. The one who comes back only wants to live a normal life but people are always looking at her and wondering what happened to her best friend a
Sana
Jun 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: d-n-f
▶This book is ridiculously long.

▶I do not like Zoey. I can't stand her. She thinks she's the fucking queen of the world and I hate characters like that. Like you cannot fucking control everything. She was so abusive and controlling towards Stella. She would literally not let Stella do anything she didn't like.

▶Stella just needs to make Zoey happy. *rolls meh eyeballs*

▶The mystery is just meh. I honestly knew whodunit all along.

▶There is so much unnecessary drama and all that monster shit. *ro
Kathy Cunningham
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Alexandra Sirowy's THE CREEPING is a gripping Young Adult mystery that asks disturbing questions about the nature of evil. Seventeen-year-old Stella Cambren is known in the town of Savage Minnesota as the girl who survived a mysterious attack eleven years earlier. When she was only six, Stella's friend Jeanie Talcott disappeared while the two girls were picking strawberries at the edge of the woods. No trace of Jeanie was ever found, and Stella has no memory of what happened that afternoon. Was ...more
Cesar
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars

"If you hunt for monsters, you'll find them."

As you can guess by the title and the cover, this won't be a campy summer read. Mind you, it wasn't THAT scary, but the atmosphere was.

The Creeping follows Stella, a girl who, eleven years ago, disappears with her friend Jeanie. Hours later, Stella returns but Jeanie was never found. Years later, something bad happened. This leads Stella to uncover what really happened the day she and Jeanie were taken and if monsters really do exist.

I've ha
Emily (Falling for YA)
The Creeping was one of my most highly anticipated reads of the summer. I love contemporary stories that straddle the line between contemporary and supernatural. I like not knowing if the villain in the story is something that can be seen or if it is just the dark parts of the human soul. The Creeping tried to do this but ended up falling short.

One of the reasons this book came up short was because I had hard time with the characters. Stella and her friends read as very immature in the beginning
Jen Brooks
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read an ARC of this book as a member of the Fearless Fifteeners. Stella Cambren survived an attack in the woods that her friend did not. Years later, another little girl is found dead, and Stella and her former childhood love, Sam, work to uncover the truth of what is happening in their small town. This is a true horror story about hunting monsters, and about finding them in unexpected places.
Katherine
”I’ve seen what happens if you spend too much time thinking about what hides in the dark. You become a monster yourself. You become a lonely old woman in the woods with stories; a killer who sees his victim everywhere; a boy who’d rather believe in monsters than live. You become the keeper of the graveyard, real and imagined.”

Two girls go out to play, only one comes back. It’s a popular trope in books, and this is no exception. It was supposed to be an innocent day of strawberry picking, but f
Mycoton32
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

17/20 - J'ai beaucoup aimé les personnages, l'ambiance, la tension qui monte jusqu'à la fin et les révélations explosives !!
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
I received a free copy via Edelweiss for review purposes.

The Creeping was a great atmospheric horror. Twelve years earlier, Stella and her friend Jeanie vanished. Stella showed up minutes later with no memory of what had just happened, and Jeanie never showed up again. Now, Stella is seventeen and is looking forward to a summer of fun and freedom, and is famous in her town as the one who survived; a town which has a dirty secret. Then a new body is found and Stella can't help but think it's rela
Heather Wood
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the end, I liked The Creeping much more than I expected to. This is a book where I would tell readers to keep reading because the plot gets so much better as the story goes on. By mid-point, I felt myself getting super spooked by the plot.

The Creeping is unique because I liked not knowing exactly if the evil lurking in Stella’s town was real or imaginary. Even by the end, I wasn’t one hundred percent certain who the true monsters were. The pace felt a little slow in the first few chapters, bu
Amber (Cosying Up With Books)
"If you hunt for monsters, you'll find them."

There is nothing more satisfying than loving a book you have been dying to read and having it live up to your wild expectations. THE CREEPING was the perfect balance of my literary loves: mystery that kept me turning pages like a crazy-woman, a touch of romance that added to the story rather than detract from more important aspects and hauntingly beautiful imagery that made me feel a part of Stella's world.

"The sky is a milky black with tiny, twinkl
Beth  (YA Books Central)
"If you look for monsters....you'll find them...."

So I will have to admit...the first thing that grabbed my attention about this book....was the cover. I mean seriously....what an amazingly creepy and yet utterly gorgeous cover!!! Everything from the way the letters of the title are placed to the deep blue color and the spooky young girl in the tree ....fit the book perfectly. I immediately added The Creeping to my To Be Read list and waited impatiently for it to arrive.....

The Creeping is a s
Melissa Chung
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Ahhh so good. Creepy? Check! A none annoying main character? Check! A love interest? (cringing) Check! I'm giving this book 4.5 stars because there is romance lol. I know that is pretty pathetic of me but gross. I guess it's bound to happen this is a YA book ;)

The Creeping is a psychological thriller with a paranormal twist. It's about two girls Stella and Jeanie. They were 6 when they went into the woods to play and only one returned. A scary mystery. I pretty much hated Zoey the best friend t
  • I Am Her Revenge
  • Damage Done
  • Ruthless
  • Pretending to Be Erica
  • Blood and Salt (Blood and Salt, #1)
  • When I Wake
  • Dead to Me
  • After the Woods
  • City of Savages
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Becoming Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #1)
  • The Bargaining
  • Lock & Mori (Lock & Mori, #1)
  • Please Don't Tell
  • Shutter
  • Soulprint
  • Wandering Wild
  • Anne & Henry
Alexandra Sirowy was born and raised in Northern California. She has a graduate degree in International Studies and loves to eat, laugh, travel, read, and go on adventures. She's the author of the YA thrillers THE CREEPING, the Bram Stoker award shortlisted THE TELLING, and her latest, FIRST WE WERE IV. She lives in California with her husband and daughter. Visit her at alexandrasirowy.com.
“You keep squintin' in Savage's dark corners, you gonna wish yourself blind.” 3 likes