Start by marking “Dime” as Want to Read:
Dime

Dime

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  834 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews
The realities of teen prostitution are revealed in this eye-opening, heartbreaking story from the author of America, which Booklist called "a piercing, unforgettable novel" and Kirkus Reviews deemed "a work of sublime humanity."

As a teen girl in Newark, New Jersey, lost in the foster care system, Dime just wants someone to care about her, to love her. A family. And that is
Published May 26th 2015 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Dime, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
BizKids
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Dove
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Autumn
This book is going to save real Dimes by sitting quietly on the library shelf and holding acres of real pain and strength inside it for anybody who needs it. Dime's love of literature is what will keep this book on the shelf and on the awards lists, even though the horrifying details of these girls' lives will bring censors around. A wonderful, honest and useful book for kids (and former kids) who read in order to survive.
Julie
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this, and then tell someone else to read this. It is important.
Kelli
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-depressing
I normally don't watch the news because I tend to get hooked on a headline or tragedy and become obsessed. This book has catapulted me into the world of human trafficking, and now I can't stop researching it.
A thirteen year old foster child lives with her foster mother and foster brothers and sisters. She goes to school, where she enjoys reading and returning home to help with the babies. But the stress of the children causes her foster mother to turn to drinking which makes life a little darke
Lorrie
I can't say I enjoyed this book, because of the subject matter, but it was very well written. It especially hit me hard because my daughter is about the same age as Lollipop, and I just can't wrap my head around what she, Dime, Brandy, and L.A. went through and how they lived. Dime tugged at my heartstrings. Usually I don't like open endings where everything is not neatly tied up and explained, but for this book, it worked. In a book that was weighed down by loneliness and sadness, it ended with ...more
yasmine skalli
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
oh god. this book was a rollercoaster. in a good, heavy, terrifying sense. i think it’s definitely something everyone should read.
Alicia
I plowed through this book with equal parts intrigue and disgust because (from what little I know), all of ER Frank's real-life job has led her to produce a realistic portrayal of teenage prostitution. A young girl who has a titch of hope in her love of reading is lost in the foster care system and happens upon a pimp, Daddy, who plays her like a fiddle: gaining her trust and showing her the 'good life' only to send her back to her foster situation that allows her to think that what he can provi ...more
Scarlet
A well written, difficult, disturbing and edgy read.
This book is tragic and incredible. It contains an accurate description about the horrors of modern day prostitution. The characters are well developed and very believable.
It is simple. This novel needs to be read.
Aimee
Prince William Public Library System
Dime, LA, Brandy, & Lollipop are not your typical "Daddy's" girls. They are all young women and girls forced into prostitution to bring home Daddy's coins. They are put out in the afternoon and don't come home until they earn Daddy's quota.

LA is the oldest and thinks she'll be the one to marry Daddy, after all, she's been with him the longest and he lets her handle the coins. She also thinks nothing of abusing the other girls and trying to cause friction in the house. LA recruits Dime, bare
Marika
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
I absolutely loved the main characters of this story (aside from Daddy). I do believe this is a topic to be explored. However, I did not like how the story was told. I felt like I was going through the abuses of these poor girls while I read it.

With a little bit of hope stirred into this book, it would have received 4 stars.

With a little less of the 'books save lives' theme, it would have received 4 stars.

With a different format (knowing she was going to be ok, and then telling the story in hin
elissa
This is hard to rate. It's not a book that I necessarily "like", but it's incredibly well done. Frank did a masterful job at making a rough, horrible subject accessible to ages 14 and up. The language was well done and very believable. Dime is a character that I'll remember. I didn't notice the face in the "D" on the cover, until I was looking at the cover small on goodreads. Going on my 2015favorites shelf for the moment, but I'm not sure it'll stay there. 3 1/2 stars.

I'd nominate it for Cap Ch
Leigh
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book and a very exciting ending. Not at all a book that I would have ever picked up on my own but I enjoyed the way it was written and also all of the literary references made by Dime. Looking forward to discussing this one with my book club!
Tex
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club, at-home
Perhaps I should have foreseen how this book would make me feel when I told a friend what book I was reading next. "Ehhhhh," she said, showing all her teeth. It was tough, as a privileged white girl, to read just what is a truth about living as a po ho. My constant emotion was anguish.
Heather
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Really Good! shows how easily a young girl can be swept into prostitution. very graphic and disturbing, but real. one that stays with you
Diana
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was terrifying and heartbreaking, and the worst part of it all is that although the book is fiction, this is reality for so many young girls and women in the world. Even though it was incredibly difficult to read, I thought it was a very well-written story. Obviously, I loved Dime's love of literature and the ways reading provided her an escape from the horrors she was living. I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but I did like that it ended on a hopeful note.
Sasha
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, wndb, ya
Damn. First of all, this book is chock-FULL of triggers, my HSP friends. Worth it (if you can hack it) for the fact that it opens your eyes to the brutal and horrifying world of teen human trafficking. Real and harsh and honest, you won't be able to look away after reading this.
Kim Childress
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mature readers, teachers, youth groups, librarians, high school students and teachers
Though this is fiction, it’s not for the faint of heart. A horrific, utterly realistic look at the tragedy that is the sex-trafficking industry.

Dime is the fictional story of a thirteen-year-old foster child who thinks she’s been rescued by Daddy when he gives her a REAL winter coat with pockets and promises, promises, promises. Dime is quiet and observant; she listens and sees. And she can read. As she experiences what it means to be one of Daddy's girls, she is allowed to go to the library--bu
Courtney
At 13 years of age, Dime's life has already taken a series of unfortunate turns. She lives in an over-crowded foster home, which isn't great to begin with. Things get even worse when Dime's foster mother starts drinking again. Dime now has to stay home from school to help around the house while dodging the advances of her foster mother's sketchy new boyfriend. In a fit of anger, Dime flees the house. While sitting out on a cold street corner, Dime meets a girl who temporarily loans her the winte ...more
Dena
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-realistic
SO, this is one of those books that I can't say that I "liked" reading; the content was gut-wrenching and uncomfortable--but necessarily so, which is why I gave this 4 stars. Frank did an exceptional job with delivering the message of the story without being didactic.

14 year old Dime remembers only bits and pieces of what might have been her biological family. Instead, most of her memories are of her neglectful foster mother and their chaotic, poor life. After being kicking out of the house aga
Vicki
This was a really tough one to read. It is disturbing and unfortunately realistic to life. Young girls are prostituted out to men and they are "groomed" throughout the process and even learn to love "Daddy." It's actually quite disgusting what a grown man can and will do to a child as young as 11 in this book.

The most disturbing thing to me was (view spoiler)
Karen Foster
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-reads
Book Club read - A beautifully written, heartbreaking book about the horrific life of child prostitutes and the business of human trafficking. Fourteen year old Dime, is swallowed up by life, desperate to be cared for, and finds her only solace in books and the characters she finds there. I particularly loved the nod to 'The Book thief', as Dime imagines her story told not by Death, but by Sex, by Money and as the danger of her situation increases, by Truth. I'm glad that what could have been a ...more
Fiona Karbo Baker
This book is nothing short of intense.The reader feels what Dime feels almost seamlessly. You feel her desperation, her longing for someone to love her, her fear, and most powerfully, her rage. This book is unsettling and nauseating at times, but the topic is too important to ignore. It was not a light or easy read by any means, but the pages managed to fly by because of Dime's honest voice She is both too mature and too naive. Overall, this book is heartbreaking. I loved E.R. Frank's writing wh ...more
Rachel Schieffelbein
This is not the type of book I usually read, and I was a bit worried it would be too dark for me. However, while it was a dark subject matter, I never felt it was overly graphic. It was very well written and I was completely intrigued. Dime is a wonderful character. I felt all the characters were well done, and it was understandable how they were manipulated into their situations.
A compelling read.
Jessica
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book was heartbreaking. Just the thought that this is real. That this happens around the world to young girls is just so sad, my heart goes out to all those young girls/women who are sold to the highest bidder in human trafficking and exposed to the prostitution world... definitely a must read.
Tori
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one tough read, but so important. Dime is a 13-year-old girl who falls into the hands of a sex trafficker. This book is definitely for an older audience and yet might be a very important read for some younger, at risk, readers. Frank never ceases to amaze me with her writing. Put this one at the top of your list.
Nicole
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I literally said wow three times out loud after reading the last page. Stunningly beautiful writing that illuminates a dark and terrifying reality that I fear most of us are ignoring even though it's clearly still rampant in our society. Dime is a character I won't soon forget and I feel like this is a must read for those who care about the tragedy of sexual slavery in this country.
Jill Adams
There were some really powerful parts of this--it was so heavy, though, that I had a hard time getting through it during this busy time of year.

I'm still not sure what I think about it...more time is obviously needed.
Tessa
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, it was a good quick read. I just think some parts of it were a little extra and cliche, and that took away from getting more emotionally attached to the book. But in all I really think more people should read this, it was really good!
Kenya (ReviewsMayVary)
If you have ever wanted to be a teenage prostitute under the care of volatile pimp, this book might change your mind.
Robin Rockman
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. A must read.
Crazy for Young A...: Dime, by E.R. Frank → Start Date: October 8, 2015 49 26 Oct 25, 2015 07:01AM
  • Hold Tight, Don't Let Go
  • Sex & Violence
  • Don't Fail Me Now
  • Girl Defective
  • Rebels by Accident
E. R. Frank is the author of two highly praised novels for Atheneum: America and Friction. Her first novel was Life Is Funny, winner of the Teen People Book Club NEXT Award for YA Fiction and was also a top-ten ALA 2001 Quick Pick.

In addition to being writer, E. R. Frank is also a clinical social worker and psychotherapist. She works with adults and adolescents and specializes in trauma.
More about E.R. Frank

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)