Start by marking “Wilder Boys (Wilder Boys, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wilder Boys (Wilder Boys, #1)

Wilder Boys

(Wilder Boys #1)

Two brothers will need all their wilderness skills to survive when they set off into the woods of Wyoming in search of their absent father.

Jake and Taylor Wilder have been taking care of themselves for a long time. Their father abandoned the family years ago, and their mother is too busy working and running interference between the boys and her boyfriend, Bull, to spend a
Published May 5th 2015 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Wilder Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wilder Boys

Grady
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great book. A bit of a quick ending, but has a great plot. I really liked the characters all throughout the story. It was interesting to see how two young boys survive in the Tetons, especially all by themselves. The book can also teach YOU some survival skills. Great book!
Zach
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is non stop adventure about 2 brothers, 11 and 13 who live in pitsburgh and go off to try and find there dad who is living off the wild in Wyoming. They do this because they find there mom uncontious after coming home from school. But can they find their dad before their mom's horrifying ex boyfriend catches them?
Ms. Yingling
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jake and Taylor are worried after their depressed mother is beaten by Bull, her boyfriend and taken to the hospital. They are not sure that she will survive, and they know that they must leave or Bull will turn his anger on them and their Jack Russell terrier, Cody. Packing up provisions and the journal and letters that their father left before he left the family to live out in the Grand Tetons, the two hop a train from Pittsburgh to Chicago, get a ride as far as Montana with a sympathetic truck ...more
Gerard Villegas
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
I got my hands on an AC copy of Wallace's book and I have to say that I loved it. Take a little bit of Disney's The Journey of Nattie Gann and mix in a little of the road trip genre and you have Wilder Boys.

Now I know what you're thinking, the set up is a bit dark. Two brothers are trying to deal with their mother's abusive boyfriend who is involved in some criminal dealings and when he puts her in the hospital one day, you're just about to throw in the towel and say, "ENOUGH WITH CHILD ABUSE ST
Barbra
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Jack and Taylor have never understood why their dad abandoned them to live in the wilderness. One thing they do know is that they have to find him to escape from an abusive relationship his mom has with her new boyfriend Bull. Although there are some great survival facts in this book I think the story doesn’t seem that plausible. Two teenage boys accepting rides and favors from strangers isn’t a great idea. Due to the mature content I think this would be best suited for ages 10 to 12.
Daniel
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite a interesting book.

Jake and Taylor Wilder are two boys living with their sick mother in Pittsburgh after their father left the family.

But when they witness their mother's mean boyfriend Bull shoot his employer on an illegal job, they run away to find their lost father in Wyoming with their survival tips, some supplies, and a considerable heap of Bull's drug money that they found.*

*Minor Swearing included
Ni Van
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wilder Boys by Brandon Wallace is a classic, it is a great book to read just for fun. The main characters in the book are two brothers named Taylor and Jake. The brothers aren’t living in a good environment, living with their very ill mother and an abusive stepfather. They go on a journey to find their dad from the suburbs of Pittsburgh to the wilderness of Wyoming.

One day the two brothers come home from school to find their house surrounded by police and an ambulance. They see their mother ge
Tessa Joy
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jake and Taylor Wilder have had a difficult life since their father left to live in the wilds of Wyoming. Their mother started a relationship with an abusive boyfriend, Bull, and then she became crippled by depression. All Jake and Taylor want to do is take care of their mother and keep out of Bull’s way. One day the boys find a suspicious bag of cash in the house and witness Bull shooting a man. Bull knows the brothers saw his crime, so he beats up their mother to keep the boys quiet. Fearing B ...more
Nicole
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this out loud with my sons and it provided a great opportunity to talk about domestic violence and resilience without being the entire focus of the story. They were able to empathize with the brothers in the book, so I felt it provided a platform for challenging conversations that we might not have come across otherwise. It was also an engaging read that left us wanting more. I just ordered the next book.
Bobby Simic
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kidsstuff, adventure
Hatchet-lite meets The Boxcar Children Corn. Somehow never comes to life and the suspenseful moments aren't full of much suspense. I also had trouble with the meek depiction of the mother, who suffers from domestic violence and depression. The author isn't skilled enough to handle such weighty material. And the mother is 1 of only 2 women in the book, the other being a rather charming, salty truck driver...who was deemed an unfit mother in her previous life. Yikes.
Kim
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: action-adventure
The adult reader in me would give this a 2 star review but the librarian with boy readers who love adventure stories might give it a 4! I compromised. It reminded me of Geimenhart's The Honest Truth but isn't as well written. Kids looking for a quick action packed adventure with an awesome dog will enjoy this.
Carol C
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Not sure what made me pick this one up. It's aimed at a younger audience than my two teens. I think some kids would really enjoy it. I would recommend that a parent read it before deciding to give it to their upper elementary student.
John Teigland
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book because there non-stop action every chapter. Two boys named Jake and Taylor live in Pittsburgh in a very rough family. The boys mom has a boyfriend named Bull that is abusive and crazy. The boys go on an adventure to find their long lost dad that lives in Wyoming. Can they find their dad before Bull kills them.
Katie
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought this was good. I liked reading about the boys adventures. Some of it was a bit scary and too realistic.
Simona Maurice
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The story set up pretty well, but then fell flat, in my opinion. Lots of interesting information about surviving in the wild though.
Joe Cee
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!
Stacey
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read for adventure lovers.
CK
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a very interesting one that kept you on edge for most of the story. It was a real page turner
Nicholas
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nancy Brown-meyer
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks for letting me borrow your book Austyn!
Kelly Basque
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick read! Keeps pulling you through right up until the end! My boys at school will LOVE this one!
Tiffany
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wilder Boys is about a journey taken by two boys on a quest to find their father. This book is about adventure, survival, and family. This book is very enjoyable to read.
Keshia Driscoll-Cook
4 and a 1/2 stars for Wilder Boys!
First I'd like to note that I received this book from a giveaway from goodreads for a review but this is my honest and fair review of the book.

Jake and Taylor have always wondered why their father left over seven years ago for the wild land of Wyoming. They couldn't understand how he could have left their mother and them to fend for themselves. Their mother has gotten sicker over the years and now practically lives in her bed leaving Jake and Taylor to fend fo
Valerie McEnroe
I was really hoping for a win with this book, because honestly, there just aren't enough realistic fiction, adventure books for boys. This story is about Jake and Taylor, two young teenagers who live with their depressed mother and her abusive boyfriend. Right there that knocks a star off, because I get so annoyed when books written for 10-13 year olds get spoiled by humanity's dark side. Seriously? Do you really need to do that? Let kids keep their innocence as long as possible.

After the abusiv
Sandy
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was quite an adventure for such young children to be taking and I was glad that they had their father’s journal with them or I don’t know if they would have survived. The brother’s story was heartbreaking and Bull, I was ready to reach inside the book and break him apart myself as this guy needed someone to set him straight. Their mother was a helpless victim and I hope to God there is a sequel to this book as I want to know what happened to this family. What surprised me most about this nove ...more
Jenny
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: msba2015
After their mother is hospitalized, Jake and Taylor will be left in the care of her boyfriend, Bull. Bull is a no-good criminal with violent tendencies. Instead, the boys gather a few supplied and head to find their father in Wyoming. From Pennsylvania, they travel by train, bus storage, and even with a friendly truck driver. But Bull is tracking them the entire time, afraid of what the boys will say about the crimes they witnessed. The boys need to survive in the wilderness, but they only have ...more
Sherrie
I was pleased to win an ARC of Wilder Boys through the Goodreads First Reads Program. Jake and Taylor Wilder have learned to be self reliant and are mature for their ages because of their bleak home situation. Their father left the family several years prior to the beginning of the book and they live with their mother who is often ill, and her abusive boyfriend, Bull. When Bull beats their mother and puts her in the hospital the boys head to Wyoming in search of their father. They chose to run r ...more
Lisa
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Jake (13) and Tyler (11) have run away from home. Their mother has had an “accident” probably at the hands of her boyfriend Bull, and social services plans to leave the boys with him. Afraid of his violence, the brothers hit the road, crossing the country from Pennsylvania to Wyoming in search of their father, who is a naturalist and has found a remote home for his family somewhere near Grand Teton National Park. Can the boys find their long lost father before Bull catches up with them?

This sur
Amanda
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
There is a LOT of Deus Ex Machina happening here. A LOT. Yes, bad things happen, but somehow the boys are rescued every time. I would get caught up in the action/adventure, but then BAM! they would get into trouble AGAIN, and BAM! rescue comes. Reassuring to know that good triumphs and nothing too dangerous (considering how this could have turned out so many times) happens. But a bit frustrating too as far as being believable.

I will read the second book though.

Cons: Violence, swearing, lying, ab
Lonna Pierce
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brothers, Jake and Taylor Wilder and their dog, Cody live with their sickly mother and her violent boyfriend, Bull, in a rough section of Pittsburgh. Abe Wilder, their father, a wilderness buff, left years ago to discover a place in Wyoming. After Bull, a thief & murderer, beats their mom, the boys run away on an improbable search for their father out west. With Bull's stolen money, they hop a train, hitch rides, and walk rugged miles in a national park to avoid capture. They learn survival ...more

• Anybody Shining
  • Terror at Bottle Creek
  • How to Outrun a Crocodile When Your Shoes Are Untied (My Life Is a Zoo, #1)
  • Moonpenny Island
  • Good Dog
  • The Frog Who Croaked (Platypus Police Squad, #1)
  • Something to Hold
  • Skies Like These
  • When My Sister Started Kissing
  • Finding Langston
  • Beyond the Laughing Sky
  • Ten Good and Bad Things About My Life (So Far)
  • Almost a World Record Breaker (Teddy Mars #1)
  • The Silver Spoon of Solomon Snow

Wilder Boys (2 books)
  • The Journey Home (Wilder Boys, #2)