Start by marking “Cathedrals In The Sky” as Want to Read:
Cathedrals In The Sky

Cathedrals In The Sky

The turbulent saga of Ash, a troublesome, twelve-year-old, trans-racially adopted British-Asian boy, sent to live on a Kent farm by a mother too ill to cope, during the long, hot summer of 1976. There, he discovers a buried WWII Spitfire engine and determines to rebuild it with his Grandfather. But where’s the rest of the aeroplane..?

1941: Trinidadian fighter p
Paperback, 1, 364 pages
Published November 24th 2014 by San Fernando Press (first published November 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Cathedrals In The Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cathedrals In The Sky

Angela M
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
We start out reading about a young boy in a hospital bed after a bicycle accident with his father standing vigil trying to make sense of what he sees – his boy has been hurt. But this isn’t the story of the boy in the bed; it is the story of his father Ash. Through multiple narrators - Ash as an adult, a Trinidadian fighter pilot Rudy, Ash as a boy, Ash’s grandfather Ted and a brief chapter by Ash's mother who adopted him , Ash’s story evolves.

It is the story of a troubled young boy,
Cold War Conversations Podcast
A touching coming of age novel of psychology of love, loss and parenthood.

The story told is told from five very different perspectives including a World War 2 fighter pilot. The book revolves around Ash, a problem, twelve year old, trans-racially adopted British Asian boy, sent to live on a Kent farm by his ill mother, during the summer of 1976. On the farm he discovers a buried Second World War Spitfire engine and decides to reconstruct it with his Grandfather.

Andrew Rajan carries off well the differ
Elisabeth
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this and couldn't put it down. A surprising and vivid look at race and adoption in the UK during 1970’s. The main character, Ash is seen from two time frames - a resilient 12-year-old boy in the 1970’s in a tragic situation with his adopted mother and in 2014 he is a compelling father. Mainly focussed on Ash in the 70's, we watch a complex world, full of subtle detail in which the author is refreshingly honest. The relationship between Ash and his grandfather is particularl ...more
Stephen
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was given to me by netgalley for a honest review..
really enjoyed this book of Ash going up in 1970's England adoptive son and goes through the death of his mother and ends up at his adoptive grandfather farm in kent and finds a spitfire engine and the story unfolds of the flyer and rebuilding of the engine and also the present day story of ash as both are interlinked a book I couldn't put down and how sometimes in the 1970's indifference to people who were different too.
osmtsn
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
This is a story of a man and his life. He tells us about the time when he was happiest, when he had everything he ever wanted and even more. The book shows us 3 stages, one of them is present, one is his childhood and the 3rd is about the pilot who becomes important for him, Ash.

The book has a lot of to do with Spitfire, an aircraft, which made it quite hard for me to understand, as I am a girl and my English in this field is not well enough. 'Though it's an important part of the book, the most
Kim Hampton
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. At first, I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but the more I read, the better it got. It jumps back and forth between 1941, 1976 and 2014, and covers several different people's points of view, but the whole story makes a great picture of a young boy who is sent to live with his grandparents when his mother gets cancer. He discovers a buried airplane engine, and with the help of his grandfather, decides to rebuild it. It's a great read, with several ...more
Ruth Johnstone
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
An absolute gem of a book, you are torn between wanting to continually read and not wanting it to end.

The story is very touching as we follow three generations with a common interest in planes and flying. We learn a lot about the Spitfire and also how race relations in the UK has changed over the last 70 years.

A heartwarming book, with very poignant moments, thank you First Reads for letting me read this book.
Noelle Walsh
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a good book to read. It is a story that moves back and forth in time, with different narrators, all connected. Exploring various themes, we learn a little about British life in the 1970s. This book gives plenty of insight into that world and the reader feels the need to keep reading and not put the book down.

*won on GoodReads First Reads*
Nov 10, 2014 marked it as to-read
I have won a copy of this book from Goodreads Giveaways. When it arrived on my doorstep from the U.K., I was quite impressed! After I've had a chance to read it and formulate my thoughts, I'll post a review. Stay tuned!
Monique
Jaganya Naina
Lauren Pike
Eleanor Fitzgetald
Oct 08, 2014

• Fifth Column (The Blitz Detective #2)
  • The Last Pier
  • The Stranger
  • The Maisky Diaries: Red Ambassador to the Court of St James's, 1932-1943
  • Dunkirk
  • The War in the West: A New History Volume 2, . the Allies Fight Back 1941-43
  • The Battle of the Atlantic: How the Allies Won the War
  • The British Lion (John Rossett, #2)
  • Never Surrender: Winston Churchill and Britain's Decision to Fight Nazi Germany in the Fateful Summer of 1940
  • Death Order
  • Monsieur Le Commandant
  • The Malice of Waves
  • Five Days in London, May 1940
  • A High Mortality of Doves (Inspector Albert Lincoln #1)
  • Carahil's Busy Morning: Atha's Tea Party
  • The Smithsonian Book of Presidential Trivia
  • The Emperor Waltz
  • Orders from Berlin (Inspector Trave, #3)
Attended the Guildhall School and worked as a professional actor. After making a couple of films, he later graduated from the National Film & Television School. He has made two feature films, two feature-length documentaries, several shorts and written two novels.