Start by marking “Runaway Heart (Hearts of Three Rivers #1)” as Want to Read:
Runaway Heart (Hearts of Three Rivers #1)

Runaway Heart

(Hearts of Three Rivers #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  1,011 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Book 1 in Amity's Lassiter's first book in a new sweet western heat series!

Ren Maddock wouldn't call herself a runaway, but when she's backed into a corner by a childhood she'd rather forget, she's chosen flight every time. With her teenage sister in tow, Ren picks Three Rivers, Colorado and hopes that it will provide them with the quiet, simple life she's been looking
Published September 21st 2014 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Runaway Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaway Heart

Leonor
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked but I didn't love it. Too sweet for my taste I needed a little bit of spice. Lol
No OW/OM drama there's a woman who said that she went out with the H once but nothing came out of it and she asked the h to put in a word for her but that's it so I wouldn't call it ow drama.
Joan
Incompetent people who are really tstl, let alone take responsibility for a child.

My status updates:
I'm starting Runaway Heart: Found this lurking in my ‘to read’ collection and decided to give it a try. A mish-mash of unexplained characters, an assortment of men who are incapable of looking after a child properly, a guy who interviews a woman for a child-care job without asking what experience she has and without even telling her anything about said child. Meh. Life is too short to read crapol
Ruby's Book reviews
***I was giving an ARC by Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion***

I really enjoyed the story of Ren and Dane. It was very heartwarming and sweet. I mean who wouldn't love a sexy cowboy who is raising his nephew, who just wants to love and protect not just you, but you sister too. Dane officially melted my heart.

I loved the extend Baylor family too. After suffering some pretty heavy losses, they welcome Ren and Kerri with open arms. When trouble comes for them, Dane stands by Ren and suppor
Mimi
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Even though this story was a sugar cake with too much frosting (a.i. way too sweet), I kept gobbeling it up. Because at it's heart, it was a good story.

A few things bothered me a bit, though. One was that, at quite a few times, it was repetative. We as readers would receive background information about a character, only to read the same thing a page or so further.
The thing that bugged me the most was the insta-family. I believe in love at first site. And I believe a 'patchwork family' can devel
Holly
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like love and sex and fun and cowboys
Recommended to Holly by: many years of friendship
I got an advance copy of this because I have CONNECTIONS. I had to read it on my iPad which was a horrible hell for me, but whatever, you don't get an advance copy of a book every day so I can deal.

So I am not normally a reader of romances, as I think we all know, but occasionally I like a little mindless ridiculousness, and as far as romance novels go, this one was excellent. Normally when I read a romance it goes like this:
1. Read the first ten pages
2. Skip ten or twelve pages to get to when t
Mallory Montgomery
Albeit a short read, I was fast approaching a new obsession come the second chapter. I have never been one for Cowboy Romance and couldn't tell you which side of a horse to climb on but *cough* HO-LAY that southern country charm and respectable gentleman, Dane, quickly changed my mind. Easy read with an emotional rollarcoaster for a plot. Definitely a good read for anyone looking to pass a couple hours ensconced in a book. Rated 5 out of 5 for the fact that I was caught reading it during a weddi ...more
Diaries of 2 Thick Chicks
Runaway Heart is the debut book by new author Amita Lassiter and for me she nailed it! I was instantly drawn into the story and instantly found myself reading it straight through. Lassister does an excellent job developing the individual characters while building a strong desire to see Ren and her sister Kerri finally experience what it's like to have a home and a family.

Ren Maddock hasn't known love, peace and acceptance since her father passed away a long time ago. After years of her mother's
Anne
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I grabbed this for free recently and am glad I took the time to read it not just shelve it. I enjoyed this heartwarming, classic romance. It was a fast read that kept me engaged. It was nice to see from that start that Ren took her responsibility more seriously then anything else. In spite of her horrible past, or maybe becasue of it, she had a strong work ethic and morals she tried to live by. And who wouldn't want a Dane in their life. A strong, loyal rancher who puts his family before enythin ...more
Heather andrews
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book it was so heartwarming and cute. Dane he's such a gentleman, "trust me, there isn't much I want to do more than lay you out in the bed of this truck and make love to you until the sun comes up. But this isn't the place, and you need time." The boy sure knows how to exhaust himself, "with his eyes closed, he grumbled again but released her. "Fine. But you should know the only reason I'm letting you go is because I'm too tired to fight you. Find yourself here again and you might ...more
Anna Chastain
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Runaway Heart has a very classically romantic feel to it that I enjoyed very much. In this story we meet Ren Maddock, a girl in a tight spot, and Dane Baylor, a man in a similarly tight spot. Both Ren and Dane are raising a younger sibling, though for very different reasons. I liked the back stories of the characters and I enjoyed meeting the Baylor clan. Both left me looking forward to a continuing thread of family stories in future books. The setting was peaceful and it was easy to see why a f ...more
Christine
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed reading this - it was a nice short story. The writing was reasonably good, the plot flowed easily and kept you engaged throughout. The setting and characters were good and I'm sure we will read more about the other Baylor brothers in the future.
Anna Leighton
Awww, such a great read. Dane Baylor, our hero, is a super tough, hardworking cowboy (yum!), but he isn't a jerk or bad boy who treats the heroine like crap--that we're then supposed to be believe miraculously changes (although that can be fun too, lol). He's kind and considerate and ridiculously easy to fall in love with. :) I rooted for Ren, our heroine, the whole way. Can't wait for Book 2!
Melanie
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book! Cannot wait for the next one!
Angie
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really interesting book about Dane and Ren. Neither have had an easy life and they are both hoping that things will change for them. Things seem to be going good until Ren's mom shows up. Dane really sticks with Ren and it was really sweet. Good book!
Diane
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet read

Sweet little romance with a little bit of sexy thrown in. Nice storyline and nice country feel to it. Good versus bad.
Linda
Arc graciously provided by author for an honest review?

Sweet Romantic story!

Ren Maddock and her little sister Krissy find themselves in Three Rivers starting over again,trying to stay one step ahead of there mother, this has become the norm for several years.
New to Three Rivers , employment is a necessity and an add posted at the laundromat turns out to be life changing.

" Homemaker wanted, room and board provided."

A perfect job for Ren , it will allow her to save more money, for the next time
Two Ordinary
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Runaway Heart (Hearts of Three Rivers Book 1) by Amity Lassiter

Reviewed by Klaire Sutherland for Two Ordinary Girls and Their Books
4 Stars

Well, what a sweet read that was with a little suspense and hot stuff thrown in. It was a good read for me but not a blow away read, hence the 4 star rating. It felt like an easy Sunday read, didn't twist me all up in knots or have me trying to figure out riddles. I'd suggest relaxing in a nice comfy chair with a cuppa and blocking out your surroundings for
Mary
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigh … Dean will sweep you off your feet. The rancher with a great work ethic who is loyal and loving to his family. When his younger brother and his wife dies, he is named guardian for his 2 year old nephew and he won't let down his brother. Two years later he finds that parenting and running a ranch are usually at odds which forces him to realize he needs live in help to take care of Gage. Ren and her sister, Kerry are all each other has as they run from an abusive mother, that doesn't want to ...more
Kimberly Updike
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC copy given by author in exchange for an honest review.
Ren Maddock and her sister Krissy have run to the small town of Three Rivers looking to hide out form their mother.
Ren is looking to make some money to survive and to help the two run once again when their abusive and unstable mother tracks them down again as she always does.
Ren sees an ad when she is doing laundry with Krissy for a homemaker with room and board.

Thus begins the journey of Ren who meets her new boss Dane Baylor who owns
Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽*
This was the perfect weekend read for me.

Ren has been on the run with her teenage sister Kerri for the last four years. Ren took Kerri away from their childhood home after years of abuse at the hands of their mother. They haven't crossed paths in all in time because Ren makes sure they don't stay too long in one place.

When Ren answers an ad for a live in housekeeper, she thinks she may have found the perfect job. Dane Baylor is happy to open his house up to both Ren and her sister Kerri. Dane ha
Kristan Billups
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
If you were in the situation where you had to pick fight or flight, which would you choose?
For four years Ren has chosen flight, keeping her sister from harms way and out of the clutches of their abusive mother's arms. Going from job to job with her sister in tow, she's careful not to get too attached to anyone or any place. When she finds a new job at a ranch, it's simple, take care of the handsome cowboy's nephew and not get too attached.
Dane is a level headed, dependable, protective and swee
Lisa
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can find more reviews Mademoisellesnow Blog

Dane would sweep you off your feet. He’s a rancher with great work ethic who’s loyal to his family. He takes on the guardian responsibility when his younger brother and his wife tragically die leaving him with their son. This is when he hires Ren who has her own tragic past which, she and her sister is running away from. This has a classical romance feeling to the story that I enjoyed very much. I loved meeting the Baylor clan and would like to know
Babs
I adored this book. Ren has been taking care of his sister Kerry for four years. They have been staying a step ahead of their mother. Ren moves them to Three Rivers and has taken up a job with Dane Baylor to help take care of his five year old nephew Gage. The moment Ren see Dane she is attacked to him but knows to keep her distance in case she has to pick up again and leave. Kerry has taken up with Gage as a big sister and has come out of her shell a bit.

The story between Ren and Dane is remar
Karen
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Even though it was pretty much obvious from the start that Ren was going to win her man - Dane the rancher, it never once felt like the story was contrived to make a HEA at the expense of the plot. I enjoyed the fact that both main characters were in charge of younger children, and their reasons for it.

Ren was a strong woman with a definite work ethic and I also loved that she wasn't some itsy-bitsy 5 foot size zero. I know plenty of women are but there seems to be too much of an emphasis on ti
Kim
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
3 and 1/2 stars. FINALLY! A book about living on a ranch in which the characters actually SOUND like they live on a ranch! It wasn't horse-heavy, but you at least could tell that the author actually spent time around horses. The writing was good, and I liked the characters. The author was really successful in expressing the sexual tension and the warm fuzzies that come with small, innocent touches. I think that I would have liked this book more if the rising action didn't center around (view spo ...more
elaine m. suda
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Turmoil and Triumph

I really enjoyed this story. We all have secrets that we keep hidden. Sometimes it is hard to trust those around us and it takes a while for us to trust. We don't want to leave ourselves so vulnerable. Dane was completely smitten with Ren and it took her to really surrender 100% in order to find true love. Thank you for writing this moving love story. I look forward to reading more of your books.

Gmomy
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Sweet story

There is so much to love about this love story yet it felt like there was something missing. I needed to skim through much of the self dialogue that seemed repetitive at times. Two thirds of the book I waiting for something, anything to happen other than everyday life on the ranch. This is a sweet, quick read I would recommend for reading around the pool on a lazy summer afternoon.
Nancy
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
A Touching Tale

Ren has been on the run with her teen sister for years. Dane has become the permanent guardian to his small nephew. They are two outstanding main characters.
This story grabbed my interest right away and I read it straight through. Some of the intimate scenes were too long and graphic but overall a great story.
Ella and the mighty Baylor family were a joy to meet!
Lyndi W.
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
A lot of time was spent on Ren and Dane ruminating about each other in private instead of actually having the two of them spend time together. It was mostly just scenes of one pining after the other until the drama towards the end, which was wrapped up so quick and tidy it was basically a non-event.

But a lot of people probably enjoy this type of storytelling, so I'm giving it three stars instead of two because I don't want to discourage others from giving it a try. You're welcome.
  • Take Me, Cowboy (Love on Chance Avenue #1; 75th Copper Mountain Rodeo #4)
  • Hanchart Land
  • Wretched Chastity (The Mail Order Brides of Boot Creek #1)
  • Her Cowboy Distraction (Cowboy Cafe, #1)
  • Texas Roots (The Gallaghers of Sweetgrass Springs #1)
  • Mending Fences (Texas Heat, #1)
  • It Happened In Vegas (Lovin' Las Vegas Book 1)
  • The Maverick of Copper Creek (Copper Creek Cowboys, #1)
  • Christmas With the Billionaire Rancher: A Billionaire's Club Story
  • The Cowboy's Mail Order Bride (Cowboys & Brides, #3)
  • Collision (Buckin' Bull Riders, #2)
  • Wagon Train Cinderella (Women of the West #1)
  • Aces Wild (Angels Avengers #1)
  • How To Lasso A Cowboy
  • Blissful Kisses (Bliss Harbor #1.5, 2.5, 3.5)
  • Treat
  • An Improper Situation
  • Safe by His Side (Manhunt, #2)
Amity Lassiter lives in Eastern Canada with her herding dog, her barn cat, two horses and her Mister. She has loved telling stories her entire life and even before she could write could be found in her grandmother’s basement, reciting fiction into an ancient cassette recorder.

The most influential author in Amity’s life would be Peter S. Beagle, the author of The Last Unicorn, who introduced her to

Hearts of Three Rivers (4 books)
  • Homecoming Heart (Hearts of Three Rivers, #2)
  • Secondhand Heart (Hearts of Three Rivers #3)
  • Secret Heart (Hearts of Three Rivers #4)
“The same tired people who dragged bags and baskets full of their dirty laundry out in public when they had a rare spare moment. It was a certain breed of people that used Laundromats and Ren had it down to such a fine science she could have probably recognized them on the street.” 0 likes
“I don't want to live with some old lady in a wheelchair, getting that sick baby powder smell all over me and eating prunes for breakfast, Rennie. And I know you don't want to change diapers for a living. Come on. Let's just get an apartment and find you another job.” 0 likes