Start by marking “Cold Shadows (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #2)” as Want to Read:
Cold Shadows (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #2)

Cold Shadows

(Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #2)

Footsteps in the attic. Toys that play by themselves. A dark presence in an upstairs room.

Paranormal investigator Ellie Jordan faces a difficult new case. Her new clients are a family haunted by multiple ghosts and a poltergeist that wrecks their home at night. Their seven-year-old son’s invisible friends may not be imaginary at all, but the restless spirits of dead child
Paperback
Published November 28th 2014 (first published November 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Shadows

Montzalee Wittmann
Cold Shadows
Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper Series #2
By: J. L. Bryan
Narrated by: Carla Mercer-Meyer
Ellie continues with her scary adventures and it is just as good as book one! Love this series so far! Great ghost series! A family is plagued by ghosts and or a poltergeist. But what happens is beyond weird! So good!
The narration keeps the suspense up, great job!
Berit☀️✨
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 spooky stars from my 14-year-old the reluctant reader and me...

This was another creepy listen/read with my son.... once again Ellie and Stacey are summoned to a house to catch a ghost.... I think the two of them work very well together, Ellie is a bit of a bad a**while Stacey is more of a bit of a scaredy-cat (this makes me feel a little better about myself).... The backstory of the family doing the haunting of this house, was really well developed... I was completely surprised as to why the
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
If it weren't for a couple of annoying things, it would be as good as the first. They are close, though.

Another haunted house and harassed family and Ellie and her assistant Stacey are on the job. After reading it I must say that the main twist and explanations are pretty neat and interesting. After reading it. The thing is, it picks up speed in the second half of the story.

I don't have many nitpicks, but the ones I do have were a bit distracting at times. How cluttered the house is and the reas
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
After a surprise love of the first book in the series, I didn't hesitate to pick up the second. And oh boy was this quite the read. Creepier, darker, and full of delicious paranormal woo hoo.

Ellie once again manages to get herself in way over her head when it comes to the dark and creepy spirits that haunt the homes of those she visits and while this trait isn't a great one, it somehow works for the storyline.

With darkness abound, danger around every creak and glowing orb, this was a fun seque
Abbie
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review.)

Cold Shadows was another good read.

I really liked Ellie and Stacey in this one, and i liked seeing Jacob again too.

At first, i didn't think there was as many creepy moments as there was in book one, but the second half had loads of them.
When the mystery of the family who was haunting the house was revealed, i was quite surprised. I didn't expect their story to end that way.

Overall, A decent sequel.
I'm looking forward to re
Tammie

It's been almost two years since I read the first book in this series. I liked it a lot, but for some reason I didn't find myself wanting to return to Ellie's world right away. I did finally decide to pick this one up though, and it was enjoyable. I love ghost stories and this one had its creepy moments, but there is just something lacking in this series for me. I think the main thing is that there is nex
Savannah (Books With Bite)
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’ve decided to pick back up this series and continue it. I read the first book and got hooked. Ever since, I wondered what new adventures awaited Ellie. Also, please note that due to pregnancy insomnia, I started this book late at night and could not stop reading it. Plus, I got a bit scared.
Plot: This is about Ellie who is a paranormal investigator/ghost trapper. She reviews the cases and finds the ones that are truly real. I really enjoyed reading about Ellie. I think she is strong and passio
Heidi
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four Stars: Another exciting and scary ghost adventure.

Ellie and Stacey pull up to the old, dark mansion which appear to have a pond in the front yard. Stacey jokes that the pond is likely where the bodies will be hidden. Ellie and Stacey are on another ghost hunting adventure. Once they enter the house built back in 1841, they encounter several terrifying ghosts. It is up to Stacey and Ellie to find out who is behind the hauntings and eradicate them, but the truth ends up being more terrifying
Laysa
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fav-female-leads
I’m honestly surprised! I definitely like the first book, but I wasn’t really creeped out or anything. I feel like the writing must’ve improved somehow cause there were scenes in this book that made me take a few glimpses at the dark corners of my room 😹 I truly enjoyed the spooky parts.

The story behind the haunting, even though not perfectly explained, really caught my attention and I was working on my theories alongside Ellie. Unlike the first book there wasnt a single moment were I got bored
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Cold Shadows is a great follow up to the first Ellie Jordan book. J.L. Bryan has created an interesting team in Ellie and Stacey Rae. Calvin and Jacob (and Grant) are solid peripheral characters (though I'm really hoping the romance thread doesn't continue too strongly in later books). Seriously, if the romance thing heads the way its already looking, I'll stop reading the series. Ergh. Anyways, the interaction and relationships between all the characters are believable and mostly enjoyable. I'd ...more
Christy LoveOfBooks

I’m thoroughly enjoying this series! I was impressed with the first book, and Cold Shadows has me completely hooked. This is a quick read without feeling rushed, and it certainly isn’t slacking in quality.

Ghosts can be total dicks. That’s what I’ve learned from this book. Especially when it involves children. I love that it doesn’t feel … cartoony. Does that make sense? It feels realistic, and that actually plays a huge factor in the creepiness.

I really enjoyed the mystery surrounding the ghosts
Sadie Forsythe
Enjoyable enough. It'd been quite a long time since I read book one in this series. I honestly didn't remember much beyond the bare bones. But I was able to pick this one up without trouble. It suffers from a bit of the "we did this" and then "we did this" writing, Ellie seems to take beating after beating without effect, and honestly I couldn't figure out how the homeowner kept sleeping through all the racket she and the ghosts must have been making. But it was a fun little ghost mystery.

I 100
Linniegayl
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite liked this second entry in the Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper series. This time out, Ellie and Stacey are hired to remove multiple ghosts from a house. A family with two children currently lives in the house, and the children (a young boy and an adolescent girl) are being terrorized by the ghosts. I thought the mystery of the ghosts -- and eventually a poltergeist -- was intriguing. As with the first, this book is primarily plot-driven, with minimal character development. However, at the en ...more
Laura Thomas
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It’s time for Ellie to get back to ghost trapping. She’s got a nasty new case. Looks like it might be a poltergeist.

The family is experiencing loud noises, objects getting thrown around, toys playing by themselves.

There is a young lady in the house and that’s usually where a poltergeist comes from. All that teen angst. And she’s got a lot of it. But their younger son is experiencing some odd things too. Imaginary friends that are causing him to slowly withdraw from the family.

If it’s a poltergei
Marsha
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read the first book in the Ellie Jordan Series I was quite enamored and while I would love to tell you that book two was equally as impressive, I just cannot do so. While "Cold Shadows" was an interesting read it spent more time discussing the mechanics of ghost hunting and trapping and less time on the personalities of the characters. Although I enjoyed the ghost trapping Ellie's personal life was like watching paint dry: BORING!

The ghost busting team of Ellie and Stacie go out to a old
Jenn *loves dragons and wolves*
This book was much more fast paced than the first and had me on the edge through the whole book. Reading it at night time I even thought I saw shadows moving. I can't wait to buy the next books in series.
Michelle
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cold Shadows is the second book in Ellie Jordan series, and it's taken a week or two for me to get around to reading it. Living in a haunted house has got to be creepy, right. How about living in a house with four ghosts..one of them a possible poltergeist? Well this situation is Ellie and Stacey's next investigation, and it's one that starts off quickly.

Cold Shadows was a quicker read than the previous book. I also notice a pattern with the houses....they are all fabulous massive houses, which
Kelly
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that I've enjoyed everything J.L. Bryan has written (hoists the fangirl flag with a rousing cheer) and I'm REALLY digging on this new series. Ghosts, mayhem, quirky characters with intriguing back stories, and DANGER, ELLIE JORDAN! DANGER!

One thing I'm enjoying is how the past ties in with the present. Ellie has to piece together what happened long ago to figure out how it ties in with her current case. She's working off historical documents and a goodly dose of intuition (although
Sylvia Walker
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Again, a very scary tale with real ghosts! My two quibbles are (1) I wish the book had been longer than 176 pages, because then (2) along with all of the scary action scenes there would have been space for new character developments. Mr. Bryan is a talented writer, and I'm enjoying the series very much. A little slower pace between hair-raising scenes would be a good thing, however. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Erth
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
K~Terror
This is a great series so far! Each story has been well written, unique and intriguing... Ellie and her buddy, Stacey, are a fun pair ~ mostly because they are so opposite. The ghosts in this one truly fit the picture of a dysfunctional family. :)

I downloaded book 3 as soon as I finished this one... perfect October creepy reads!

Amber
Really enjoyed cold shadows!

This is the 2nd book in the ghost trapper series and I definitely like them a lot. In fact I will probably be downloading the other two soon. I like the characters and the ghosts are always a little scary but not so scary I don't sleep for a week! What a fun series!
Keith
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love these characters and I enjoy their...encounters! This one had me guessing as to the nature of the otherworldly antagonists, and I burned through it in two and a half hours, I couldn't put it down. I might have found a new favorite book series!
Teresa
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great story in the Ellie Jordan series. I am really enjoying this series so far. Ghosts are my favorite form of paranormal reading. This book has it all for me. J L Bryan has also done her homework on knowing how the paranormal equipment Ellie uses works. Some books about ghosts the writer has very little clue on what the equipment is used for and how it is used.

Ellie Jordan is a Ghost Trapper in Savannah Ga. Along with her partner Stacy they go into to haunted homes and relieve the hou
Mary
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Second winner in the series! I thought this book was even more scary than the last. Lots of ghosts and spooky goings-on and, again, it wasn't just a chapter or two that was frightening. It was practically every one! I really like the way the author keeps the suspense and the chills coming. She's also is quite good at creating and conveying scenes that allow the reader to conjure up crystal clear mental pictures of what's happening which enhances the whole bone chilling experience. The Ellie Jord ...more
Wade Grassman
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I just finished reading this book. It is the second in the series and the second I have read.

It was very entertaining and a compelling read.

The story starts out with a family being haunted by a dangerous ghost (or ghosts as the case may be). Ellie, Stacy and later Jake are called in to help the besieged family out. I know this sounds rather standard for this sort of story, but the twists that Mr. Bryan provides are interesting enough to keep you reading.

Is the story believable? I don't believe
Stephanie N Gregoire
So far, so good!

I read the first Ellie Jordan book about a year ago,and I really enjoyed it but never picked up #2 until recently. It did not disappoint! Another great ghost story with believable, interesting characters!!
If you've ever seen a ghost investigation show, you'll recognise a lot of the things Ellie uses in her investigations- I enjoy the realistic touches (you know, instead of her having some specialty equipment that doesn't seem like it should work). I would definitely recommend th
Sunshine✰✰✰
Ellie and Stacey are off on their next job where a family is being haunted by multiple ghosts. As with the first book, I go into it expecting it to be light and maybe a bit cheesy but then get totally sucked into it. We get everything. Crazy Dad ghost with a whip, slightly demonic children ghosts that love to play with toys, Mom ghost who is straight from the pond, and a poltergeist. These ghosts are no joke, but there is still enough humor to keep it a fun story. I really need to read the next ...more
Marsha
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Cold Shadows (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #2) by J.L. Bryan

I really just love paranormal investigations, but J.L. Bryan really writes the best ones. These first two books in the Ghost Trapper series have stood out for me for their focus on the actual events with solid, exciting descriptions that pull me straight into the situation. I halfway had this one figured out, but was just a bit left of the really amazing ending. And these characters just keep growing and developing. A real joy to read.
Lorraine
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cold Shadows was an AWESOME READ!!

Ellie and her Audio/Video Tech Stacey, go on assignment at an old house, with complaints of disturbing things going on. Ellie winds up bring in Jacob, their Psychic associate, to have him check the son and daughter of the house. To check out the son and daughter to see of either of them, created a poltiguist and cause the ghosts appear. Heart stopping events occur, while the do their investigation. A MUST READ, if you are into ghostly events!!
I must say, reading
  • The Middle House: Return to Cold Creek Hollow
  • Silver Mortal (The Gracen Chronicles, #1)
  • Yesterday's Daughter
  • Enforcer (Hayle Coven #18)
  • Dissolve (Dissolve, #1)
  • The Cold Room
  • Bloodless (Henri Dunn, #2)
  • First Bite (Darkwood Manor, #1)
  • Winter Fae (Armored Hearts, #0.5)
  • White Heart (Merrydian's Gate, #1)
  • Desolace (Desolace, #1)
  • Ghosts Gone Wild (Beechwood Harbor Ghost Mystery, #2)
  • Downpour (Ember, #2)
  • Jade (Once Upon a Zombie Apocalypse #1 POV 2)
  • Agartha's Castaway - Book 2 (Trapped In The Hollow Earth, #2)
  • Don't Kill Dinner (The Rules, #1)
J.L. Bryan studied English literature at the University of Georgia and at Oxford, with a focus on English Renaissance and Romantic literature. He also studied screenwriting at UCLA. He lives in the metro Atlanta sprawl with his wife Christina, where he spends most of his day serving the toddler and animal community inside his house. He is the author of the Paranormals series and the Songs of Magic ...more

Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1)
  • The Crawling Darkness (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #3)
  • Terminal  (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper, #4)
  • House of Whispers (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper, #5)
  • Maze of Souls (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #6)
  • Lullaby (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #7)
  • The Keeper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #8)
  • The Tower (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #9)
  • The Monster Museum (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #10)
  • Fire Devil (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #11)
“What's next?" Stacey glanced down the intersecting hall at the closed door to Juniper's room, from which more harsh, angry music leaked out. Our options were to go talk to the moody teenage girl or go set up in the creepy attic where Toolie had heard strange thumps, crashes, and footsteps.
"The attic," I said. "It sounds easier than talking to the girl.”
1 likes
“the attic, the basement, the storage crawlspace, sometimes the garage, are like the house's subconscious. We store away the seasonal items, and we store all the things we don't really need but can't throw away because we feel too attached to them.” 0 likes