Start by marking “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible” as Want to Read:
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible

(Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  8,501 ratings  ·  1,294 reviews
On the eve of her sixteenth birthday, the young sorceress Sabrina Spellman finds herself at a crossroads, having to choose between an unearthly destiny and her mortal boyfriend, Harvey. But a foe from her family's past has arrived in Greendale, Madame Satan, and she has her own deadly agenda. Archie Comics' latest horror sensation starts here! For TEEN+ readers. Compiles t ...more
Published August 16th 2016 by Archie Comics

To ask other readers questions about Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1, please sign up.
T. Blake I know it's been 3 years since you posted this question, but if you still haven't read the rest of it - all the single issues are available through…moreI know it's been 3 years since you posted this question, but if you still haven't read the rest of it - all the single issues are available through Comixology. They're available through their Unlimited option as well. I'm using the free trial to read them.(less)
Kendall Moore No, its based on the Sabrina comics that Archie Comics put out in the 70s as well as other comics published by the company. This is its own series…moreNo, its based on the Sabrina comics that Archie Comics put out in the 70s as well as other comics published by the company. This is its own series published under the Archie Horror imprint.(less)

·  8,501 ratings  ·  1,294 reviews

Zoë
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I feel icky after finishing this.

This was the darkest graphic novel I've ever read - perfect for Halloween (and perfect if you want plenty of nightmares)! I wouldn't say I enjoyed the experience of reading this as I felt supremely uncomfortable the entire time. But this twisted Satanic take on Sabrina was definitely interesting to read. Also, the art style wasn't for me, but I think it definitely enhanced the creepy atmosphere.
Anne

description

Wow. Talk about some real witchy women...

description

In the world of Archie Comics, Sabrina the Teenage Witch is your magical girl next door. Sweet, pretty, & head-over-heels in love with her high school sweetheart, Harvey Kinkle. In the regular comics, Sabrina is always trying to sneak around to do good with her magic - despite her two aunts and cat (Salem) trying their best to get her to act a bit more like a real witch.

description

In this, the characters are all there, but instead of the usual sweet and
JV (semi-hiatus)
CW/TW: Cannibalism, gore & violence, occultism

"Something wicked this way comes..."
Aguirre-Sacasa and Hack team up in conjuring the darkest elements of the occult and transmogrifying the once cutesy narrative of Sabrina The Teenage Witch into a gothic, unnerving, and supernaturally nefarious comic that revels in the macabre and the maleficent, thereby creating a re-imagined tale of horror now known as the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible (with a Netflix TV series adaptat
Katie
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved checking this out at the same time as I watch the show! I like Sabrina more as a character in the show, but the graphic novel is equally good dark fun :)
Melki
I must have a dark soul to enjoy so much seeing my childhood favorites twisted and perverted by modern day graphic novel artists. I LOVED Archie's gang when I was a kid, but I'm happy as a clam as an adult to see them killed, and turned into zombies. Now, it's Sabrina's turn, and boy, is this one DARK!

Seems there are more witches about than we ever suspected. Why, over in Riverdale, there's a blonde and brunette duo you might recognize who practice a little black magic. BUT, that's only a small
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it

I need to be honest with you.
First of all I wanted to read this comic because I heard that the Netflix series is an adaptation of these comics.
Second, I read them in one day. All of them. I know, what is wrong with me.
And third, I watched every trailer for the upcoming series literally a million times.

I can’t wait to see the series, because the story is so so dark, strange, awkward, but also pretty cool.
I like that they’ll change some things in the show, because let’s be honest: sometimes
Jessica
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I decided to read this after hearing it was going to be made into a TV show on the CW.

I loved the whole vibe of this. I liked that it was set in the 1960’s and the artwork matched perfectly. It had the right blend of vintage throwback and horror.

As for the story, I liked the darker take on Sabrina. The first couple of issues had a lot of backstory, but once it got to main plot I was hooked.

Overall, this was a fantastic spooky read. I cannot wait for the show.
Ken
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The trailers for this new darker take on Netflix instantly peaked my interest. Along with the comics being included on Amazon KindleUnlimited, I just had to read them.

I mainly knew Sabrina through the 90’s kid friendly show, but this is so much more darker and twisted.

I loved the 60’s setting and the artwork evoking that era. I really like how graphically gory it is.
I think most kids probably wouldn’t be aware of the original show, so wouldn’t pick this up by accident.

I liked how it has a really
Kristina Horner
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was SO DARK - I was completely not prepared for how insanely macabre and messed up this book is, but I really and truly loved it. I loved how it kept shocking me in new ways. I loved this entirely different spin on the Sabrina I know and love. I loved how it involved Betty and Veronica.

The commercials I've seen make the Netflix series look quite different than this specific story, but it's made me so excited for that to begin anyhow.
Sesana
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Everything I know about Sabrina I learned from Melissa Joan Hart. This is kind of different. I'm sure that's partly because this version is taking its cues from the comic, which I've never read. But I'm also quite sure that the older comics didn't portray the witches as being explicitly Satanic, nor did the aunts shop for groceries in the graveyard. So, yes, it can be kind of dark. But it's a darkness that works, though Sabrina does sometimes come off as oddly naive and wholesome for a literal S ...more
Calista
Wow! This is crazy dark. I would have been into this in my 20s, but this is not my cup of tea. This is all about praise satan and such and I guess I don't find that very entertaining.

Plus, I know there are dark witches who go to dark places, but most witches are about nature and the light and not about satan. I kinda feel like this is slanderous, but anyway. It's not what you expect from Archie.

I gave this 2 stars, because despite it not being my cup of tea, it was well written with an interest
Shaina
James DeSantis
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This might be the biggest surprise of the year for me when comes to comics. The chilling Adventures of Sabrina are actually chilling.

So Sabrina starts off screwed up. Her father wants to take the baby from her mother. Sabrina's mother tries to run but is hunted and when the baby is ripped from her arms she is turned into basically a vegetable. Then you get a little bit of fun learning who Sabrina is and we get to her teenage years. Then you find out what she must do to become a witch (basically
Sana
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars.

I don't really read graphic novels, but when I saw this one I knew I had to get it. This book was way different than the Sabrina the Witch show I used to watch when I was eleven years old. This book is dark, bloody, and just contains a lot of disturbing images.

Artemy
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, archie-comics
So I went a bit silly and got excited about the upcoming Netflix show, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I know I probably shouldn't have. But I love autumn and specifically Halloween (the holiday), so come October everything that is horror-related, be it stories about monsters, vampires or witches, somehow starts to look very exciting to me. Plus, hey, that cast is fantastic, and the trailers look really good. Maybe this will actually be a great Netflix original at the time when Netflix originals ...more
Shadowdenizen
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-archie
UPDATED 07-28-16: And the trade is now OUT, with my highest recommendations!
***
Originally read as single issues. (TPB will be out imminently as I write this.)

Archie comics has been reimagining (and revitalizing) their comics line over the last few years. And while I’m reading most of the entire “NewRiverdale” line, it’s the 2 Horror titles (“Afterlife With Archie” and “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina”) that are generating the most buzz, and deservedly so.

These are darker, more adult versions of t
Callie Rose Tyler
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
My Review of first issue.

Wow, so this is intense. I mean like Satanist witch coven, human sacrifice, bath in holy water after reading intense, especially when you consider the source material.

The main villain, Madame Satan, was chilling and fascinating. There are also cameos from the Riverdale gang.

Overall, an amazing reinvention of a classic comics character that blows Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1: Escape from Riverdale out of the water. There is an actual story here and it is riveting.
Cameron Chaney
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fantastic surprise. Who knew Archie comics was capable of putting out something so dark and messed up? There were parts I wasn't crazy about, but overall I couldn't put it down and I can't wait for the second trade (or a hardcover deluxe edition, maybe?). This earns a solid four stars from me. I'll definitely be checking out the rest of Archie's new comics as they've definitely caught my attention.
Gary
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Chilling indeed!
Witches have been trending lately, and Aguirre-Sacasa and Hack are without a doubt producing the best witchy comic out there (sorry to both Wytches and Harrow County, but it's true).
Initiation day is coming for young Sabrina, and she must decide if she wants to sign her name in Satan's book and become an immortal witch, or turn her back on her heritage and be a normal teenage girl. When some family baggage literally returns to haunt her, grisly consequences ensue.
This and Aguirre
Ronyell
Chilling

Introduction:

After reading “Afterlife with Archie,” I was definitely looking forward to reading “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” and see how this compares to the “Afterlife with Archie” series. I also wanted to read this graphic novel because I wanted to read it before I watch the new Netflix series “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina!” Written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, the same writer of the “Afterlife with Archie” series, along with artwork by Robert Hack, “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Volum
Katherine
Me, totally naïve and stupid: They’re rebooting Sabrina! The Archie reboot was okay, might as well check this one out. What could possibly go-
:Sabrina, unleashing her total terror out onto the page:
Me: description
**********************************************
Remember Sabrina the Teenage Witch? You know, that lovable half-human, half-watch high schooler with the two aunts, talking cat, and the lovable but slightly dim boyfriend, Harvey Kinkle? I do. There used to be a lot of Sabrina reruns on TV, and I wo
Andreas
May 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was dark and gory, yes, but also incredibly boring and lackluster. The TV show, on the other hand, is completely tacky and cheesy, but entertaining. Oh well...
L. McCoy
I hate to say it but I’m pretty sure I’m never going to like Archie comics.
Tried Archie- Didn’t care for it.
Tried that TV show, Riverdale, to see if the gritty murder stuff makes it any better- Couldn’t even get through the first episode.
Tried this because I loved the Sabrina TV show when I was younger but kinda grew out of it and love dark horror stuff now- D***, I wish I liked this more.

What’s it about?
Sabrina the teenaged witch is reimagined as a dark, satanic, sometimes bloody horror for Arc
Emma
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t read the older Sabrina comics but this is a darker version which I enjoyed and looking forward to seeing it develop. Also free on kindle unlimited!
Souma BookAddict
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018, comics

*3.5 stars*

I am very drawn to dark characters, being dark and twisted with a great backstory. Or just for the sake of being dark and twisted. So I was immediately interested in the idea of this dark and twisted version of Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
I really liked the story, I enjoyed this a lot more than I was expecting and I am curious how the story will progress, so I definitely intend to read more of it. Did not care for the artwork though.
Pamela
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was raised on a steady diet of Archie comics and used to love the Sabrina spin-off. I was also a fan of the TV show back in the 1990s. So of course I was very excited to find this adult horror re-boot, which starts off with so much promise but then fails to follow through. The first chapter (issue 1) is great, but then the arc gets bogged down. The biggest problem is the main villain, "Lady Satan," who is neither interesting nor innovative. Do we really need another "woman scorned" monster who ...more
Paz R.M.
Quick/short review: Did I love the idea of this? Heck yeah I did. Gimme witches and dark magic, and the fallen, the damned, and the unholy spirits.
Did I liked this? Eh. Parts of it. Hate to say it, but I found it really slow, and at parts, I got quite bored with it.
I am, however, supet excited for the netflix adaptation.

Sarah Theis
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So I just started watching this on Netflix, not even realizing that this!!! Was the same thing. I had picked it up and looked at it weeks ago but didn't buy it then. Made the connection yesterday and went back for it. (I know I know, but at the time I didn't pay attention to the actual title)

This is Sabrina like you've never seen. No toasters sending mail, good witches with finger twitches changing outfits and popping up generic brand food. This is a coven of witches, working for Satan himself a
kirsty alexander
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loving it so far reading the next volume now
Noa ☾
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1-#6

CAOS #1 🌟 🌟 🌟
I didn’t expect this comic to be so dark but wow. I’m impressed. The artwork is beautiful and compelling. I prefer Sabrina from the TV show and I can’t get over how Sabrina actually compelled Harvey to be with her.

CAOS #2 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟
Loved this one. Madam Satan is such an interesting character !! Love the backstory.

CAOS #3 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟
This one was good too. I especially like the unfolding of the Dark Baptism. Can someone explain to me why Satan is a goat

• Harrow County, Vol. 6: Hedge Magic
  • Clean Room, Vol. 1: Immaculate Conception
  • Fresh Romance, Vol. 1
  • Poe: Stories and Poems: A Graphic Novel Adaptation
  • Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 1: Anchor Points
  • Jughead, Vol. 2
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 2: Fear No Malus
  • Lady Killer, Vol. 2 (Lady Killer, #2)
  • Spell on Wheels (Spell on Wheels, #1-5)
  • Heathen Vol. 1 (Heathen, #1)
  • Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Who Is Oracle?
  • The Unstoppable Wasp, Vol. 1: Unstoppable!
  • Revival, Vol. 5 : Gathering Of Waters
  • Black Magick, Vol. 1: Awakening, Part One
  • DC Comics Bombshells, Vol. 3: Uprising
  • Another Castle: Grimoire
  • Fatale, Vol. 3: West of Hell (Fatale, #3)

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (2 books)
  • Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 2 (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #2)