Start by marking “The Empress (Virtual Arcana, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Empress (Virtual Arcana, #3)

The Empress

(Virtual Arcana #3)

The fourth book in the VIRTUAL ARCANA series.

The series starts with book 0: The Fool.

Kelsey Zellar would never intentionally endanger her family, but when her mother appears on the Empress card, Kelsey worries her involvement with the Arcana has led the Zellars down a perilous path.

Xander helps Kelsey change direction and continues to protect her from the government,
Published by Starry Sky Publishing (first published January 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Empress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Empress

Start your review of The Empress (Virtual Arcana, #3)
Lollita
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
i think this ones my favorite so far i love xander he's adorable, him and kelseys relationship has progressed. while keekee and kelsey have officially stated they will work with the government. i still have way more questions about whats going on thanve been answered and those questions continue to pile up, and im looking forward to whats gunna happen next and hopefully some answers ;)
Jennifer Madero (Boricuan Bookworms)
Check out more of my reviews at Boricuan Bookworms!

eARC Provided by author in exchange of honest and unbiased review

While the previous books held information about Equatia, Virtual Reality, and the problematic of the book in general, this one has more details when it comes to the characters and their relation with Kelsey. I particularly like how in these episodes, even more in this, we see Kelsey's relationship with her mom and dad since it's been a trend in YA books that the parents are
Sarah - Exploring All Genres
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
After the previous book, The High Priestess, ended I was insanely curious as to what could happen next. Obviously something was going to happen and it wasn't something small either. I like how things played out at the beginning. There was a lot of uncertainty when it came to what Kelsey would do at first, and it kept me reading to see just how she would overcome this little obstacle that had been dumped in front of her.

Things slowed down a bit after this, but I can see that the information
Susan (The Book Bag)
I am always so excited when I get the next, newest episode of the Virtual Arcana series. I drop whatever I am reading and dive right in. I know it's not going to take very long to read. And it has been a little while since the last episode. I miss being in that world and can't wait to get back to it.

The Empress episode is pretty intense this time with Kelsey sneaking out late at night and breaking laws. Will this put her family in more hot water than they are already in? We also see the
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
I think this has been my favorite installment to date.

This episode is very character-centric. I like that we get to see more of Kelsey's parents, as well as learn more about Xander.

I really loved the interactions between Kelsey and Xander here! They were very cute and sassy and I thought that it was highly believable. I really loved a part where Kelsey specifically tells Xander that he's being too cheesy; because that's exactly what I would have said!

I liked how Karen also subtly kept
Amy
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books, 5-stars
Once again, I'm going to keep this review short and sweet because I don't want to give anything away. This book picks up right where The High Priestess left off. The mystery continues and I'm left with a lot of questions. I just love this serial series! There are so many great twists and turns. The line between real and not real is getting more blurred by the moment. I am confused and unsure of what's going on and I'm loving every moment of it. This book does end on a bit of a cliffhanger. I ...more
Kristi
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: june-2015
I love this series. Its so easy to read. I love how they brought the story back in this book instead of all the information in the last book. I loved seeing the relationship between the parents and Kelsey and also Xander and Kelsey. This was definately a great part to this serial series. I was so excited to get back into this world and this particular part did not disappoint. It was so so good. I loved it.
This story is science fiction, and young adult. Its alot different than what you might
Tania
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Last night I did not want to go to bed till i was finished this book. It was sooo good and when i got to the end i hated that i didn't have the next one to continue reading. The end of this book left me with an OMG moment. I loved this book because there was a moment when your like FINALLY!

Although i'm getting more confused in parts because i'm wondering what is a VR and what's not anymore and maybe thats the point. I keep preparing myself for this big reveal that this whole world is like the
Marianna
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing story! I could not put my kindle down and when I read the last sentence, I could not believe that it was over so soon. I can't wait for the next installment. I'm in love with Xander and Kelsey both as characters and as a couple. I can't wait to see their relationship develop even more. I'm so anxious to find out what happens next. Another intriguing development is Devlin's role in the story... How does Kelsey need him? How can he help?

A definite high recommendation for anyone
Veray
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! There are so many twists and turns and it is hard to know what is real and what is not. Xander is more involved in her life in this installment and he finally kisses her which is what I have been waiting for. Another man becomes involved though and her statement about not wanting to be in a love triangle may end up happening anyway, but that remains to be seen. I am still voting for Xander. I can't wait to see what happens next!!!!
Yara
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Another awesome chapter in Karen's Virtual Arcana series! Yes, I'll admit I'm a little confused right now about certain plotlines or characters, but I'm in for the ride- it's a very exciting one! We get to know more of Xander, and Kelsey's reactions to him. Sparks sure fly in this chapter! Itching to get my hands on the next installment :)
Rebecca Zeno
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: need-to-read
Things are starting to unfold for Kelsey while hanging out in a world she barely knows with a guy she barely knows.
And things are also folding, creating crevasses, and wrinkling time as they know it.
What will happen during The Empress, you ask? I cannot say, but what I will spill is this--you are in for a pretty big treat!
Jenna (Bookiemoji)
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This installment really ramps up the relationships between the characters AND the mystery! I am getting some super anxious Matrix vibes here and I CANNOT WAIT to see what happens next! You're a tricky one, Karen, that you are......
Karen
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's mine. Of course I'm gonna give it 5 stars.
Jessica Nicole
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Find this review and others like it at Ramblings on Readings

Virtual Arcana: The Empress is filling the “Novella” category in the Full House Reading Challenge.

I cannot say enough good things about Karen Amanda Hooper’s new series Virtual Arcana. The Empress was another mind-bending installment that had me clamoring for answers. By the end, I felt thoroughly confused.

Confused in an excellent way, mind you. Hooper continues to heap weird scenarios on the reader with little explanation, making us
Elien
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, ya-books
This review and more on So Bookalicious

I am always excited for the next episode in the Virtual Arcana series. And after the last episode, The High Priestess, I was even more excited. The ending of the last episode was so stunning that I couldn’t wait to find out
what exactly going on.

This episode was less centered on Equation and the virtual arcana but more on the different characters. In this episode we finally get to know Xander better. He’s still a mystery but bits of him were revealed and I
Matina
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Things have begun to heat up in The Empress, the most recent installment of Karen Amanda Hooper’s Virtual Arcana. Kelsey has started down the wrong path and Xander works quickly to resolve the issue, but how much can Xander handle as he works to keep Kelsey safe?

Kelsey’s decision weather or not to accept the government’s proposal hangs over her head at the start of this story and has major implications in the rest of it. We also start to see that not all is going to be perfect and smooth sailing
Amie's Book Reviews
VIRTUAL ARCANA - Episode 3: The Empress
By: Karen Amanda Hooper

Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

* I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Though this is labelled as "Episode 3, it is the fourth installment in this series which began with "Episode 0: The Fool."

Kelsey is starting to notice that things in her world and in her life are not always what they seem to be.

Xander has told her that The Arcana system is protected and that she is
Kelsey
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one and man that cliffhanger.
I'm really enjoying the serial style, it's hard having to wait but, it makes it so much easier to read especially since I don't have the time I used to.
This whole thinking something is real and then finding out it's not is really confusing me though. I think something is really happening and then it's like oh, no and then it does it again right after. Not a huge fan of that. It would be better if I had at least some explanation but I'm just like
Katarina
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING, just like the others, except even better.

I'm constantly surprised that I love each installment more than the last. The only thing I hated about this book was that it ends....in a spot where it shouldn't, because I need more. I'm hopelessly addicted to this series and read each one as soon as I get my hands on it.

This installment is more about Kelsey and Xander. Their relationship takes on a new depth, and it's just right.
Carly
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I am so hooked on this series! I am getting used to the serial style of reading. Honestly, the biggest plus is that I don't stay up all night to finish her book. I get more sleep this way! I think this series may be my favorite so far of Karen's books (I will wait to see how it ends to make that call). Reality is getting blurred in this installment. She does like to leave you with some crazy cliff hangers at the end of each one!
Veray
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nereid
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am slowly getting used to this serial style of writing though I much prefer a novel to a novella but that said this series is addictive. Devlin seems to be at odds with Xander at times so who really is in charge and it makes you wonder if she is doing the right thing. I can't wait for the next installment in this magical adventure.
Karla
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Intriguing storyline. Totally perplexing.

Jackie
Jan 19, 2015 added it
What a way to end this installment. There are more questions than answers in this one and it gets more complicated. I can't wait for the next installment.
Stephanie
rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2018
Beth
Oct 06, 2014
Author of YA supernatural and fantasy. (Magic and love are the heart and soul of all my stories.)

~TANGLED TIDES & DANGEROUS DEPTHS
~THE KINDRILY series
~VIRTUAL ARCANA series.

I was born and bred in Baltimore, frolicked and froze in Colorado for a couple of years, and I'm currently sunning and splashing around Florida with my spoiled rescue dog. I'm addicted to coffee, chocolate and complicated

Virtual Arcana (7 books)
  • The Fool (Virtual Arcana, #0)
  • The Magician (Virtual Arcana, #1)
  • The High Priestess (Virtual Arcana, #2)
  • The Emperor (Virtual Arcana, #4)
  • The Hierophant (Virtual Arcana, #5)
  • The Lovers (Virtual Arcana, #6)