Start by marking “On the Other Hand: The Little Anthology of Big Questions” as Want to Read:

On the Other Hand: The Little Anthology of Big Questions

A straight from the shoulder look at life in which I ask some awkward questions; such as, ‘Who am I?’, ‘Where did I come from?’, ‘What am I doing here?’ and ‘Why do we resist change?’ If at this point you’re tempted to flick through this book looking for the answers, save yourself the trouble - you won’t find any. This isn’t a book of answers - it’s a book of ...more
Paperback, Small Edition, 216 pages
Published October 1st 2014 by RPG Publishing (first published November 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about On the Other Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Other Hand

Start your review of On the Other Hand: The Little Anthology of Big Questions
Starjustin
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book five stars due to the fact that, with it's help, I have finally been enlightened to change my life for the better and, I am in the process of doing so. Definitely not a book to read quickly. This book requires a great amount of thought from the reader. Took me awhile to finish and actually digest it. I am ecstatic that I took the necessary time to do so.
Coming into this world with no physical possessions and passing out of this world with no physical possessions has to make one
Amalia Gavea
''There's an air of decency implied in the expression 'human being'; it doesn't quite fit with the way we behave.''

Do not let the cute, charming front cover fool you. This isn’t a ‘self-help’ book in the mundane sense of the genre, it is rather a ‘self- awareness’ book that poses questions that, most probably, we’ve all thought at certain points of our lives, but have been too afraid to ask. I know I have and I am only 32.

‘’On the Other Hand’’...such a fitting title. Renee brings so many
Sanjay Gautam
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Q: ?

A: !
Ahmed  Ejaz
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
We can’t change the reflection without changing what is reflecting it.
On the Other Hand is written in a very deep manner. It provokes the thoughts. Makes us to see the world from a different point of view. It makes us to question everything we know. Why they exist? What are their purposes? You can say the whole message of this book is: "Think outside the box."

This book raises many questions which we are probably aware of but hesitate to answer. Because we don't wanna know the answers. We
Jon Nakapalau
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Renée Paule has the rare gift of letting you see yourself more clearly by reflecting on the big questions. She is never preachy or righteous as she lays before you a banquet of her life experiences; letting you sample what you like, but never forcing you to put anything on your plate that you do not want. Many readers will appreciate the Socratic methodology that Renée uses to help you look at (your) life - telescope or microscope - your choice as to which lens you wish to focus on. Excellent ...more
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r2r, non-fic
(Note: I received review copy of this book from author, in exchange for an honest review. I am glad I got a chance to read this book.)

Throughout the books few things author has said repeatedly and very clearly- First, you need to question everything. Questions are more important than answers. If you keep questioning, you understand the depth and value of questions. I found this very reasonable thing to do. I loved one example author gave in the book which I found very agreeable, the teaching
Amedeea
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is a book you should definitely buy, if you are interested in finding more about yourself as a person and about the world around you, if you are interested in raising questions, given the fact that sometimes you will not find answers or you will find many answers for the same question.It is a heart to heart talk between author and reader.I found out so much about myself from this book, i found so many of my thoughts here, thoughts i was not completely aware of.I love the author,s style of ...more
G.R. Hewitt
First of all, I must declare an interest in this book as I know the author very well and I edited the book for her. I have not and will not be paid for my services in any way. This book stands on its own merit and needs no props or bias. It is from this standpoint that I am pleased to write my review.

*****

If you are looking for answers to the questions in this book you will be disappointed; there are no `answer pages' at the back. Rather, the author invites you to think about life by taking
Neeraj V Murali
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am going to post this review in informal language :

Hi Renee ,

Oh my god, My Goodness, this book is just awesome... Really, I have been smiling for the past four nights due to your book. I have been having the most vivid dreams. I have been.......well, it is quite hard for me to explain how I have felt. I think I can't just say everything, it will take me much more to write in words what I feel.

I don't know any British Slangs are, but your books is really sky rocketing...xD!
Really, I am really
Chris Vlaar
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read that may challenge many cherished beliefs. Candid in her approach, the author pulls no punches as she invites you to think about life. Exposing her vulnerability with her frank openness about her past experiences that led her to the questions raised in this book. Like the blurb says … it's not for the faint hearted.
Cindy
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
: On The Other Hand: The Little Anthology of Big Questions (Paperback)
I have struggled to write this review.
First, I found the book difficult to digest... I chewed over it, slowly.
The author rather sternly points to the importance of 'being prepared to be brutally honest'...
My core-beliefs are not in alignment with some of her assertions and I struggled at times with the seemingly, to me, relentless questions. (As a beloved friend of mine will atest, erotemes are not my favourite punctuation!)

Aleena
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exploring difficult concepts in a simple way can be a hard task. But this book puts things simply and clearly. Easy to understand, yet interesting, this book made me think about my life. It challenges 'conditioned' perceptions and encourages you to question your own reason for existence; not always easy to face. Every chapter explores significant life topics about things we prefer not to think about. I keep slipping back and I’m going to read it again. Love it.
Sophie Ken
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
on the other hand: the little
it's my first english book review. well, i got this book cause i win book giveaway from renee. thanks before :*
ok timw to review, i think it's amazing book. i love to read this book, this book will make you understand yourself. sometime you was confuse who are you, and what you really want. many thing you think when you wanna do something. you should read this book. i rate this book 5 stars cause it's really great book :D. thanks renee :*
Mike
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book encourages you to look deep into yourself for answers to some thought provoking questions raised by the author.

Advocating neither science nor religion this book makes you stop and actually think about things, in a way that may never have occurred to you before. It doesn't preach or condemn but asks you to think independently , prodding you to come up with answers to previously never thought of questions.

A compulsive and stimulating read that grabs your attention and simply refuses to
Ana
May 12, 2018 added it
I'm sorry but I could not finish this book. I am thankful to the author and GoodReads for the giveaway but it made me dreadful depressed and I just found it pointless. I ended up in a reading slump that has been lasting for several months now so I have officially given up on it.
Thank you again for the opportunity. I am sure other folks will find it thought provoking but it's just not for me.
Devi Nair
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, paper-back
Check out the complete review at Views She Writes - WordPress Reviews

Books which give something to think are always something which I enjoy reading. After reading “Just around the bend”, although it was the second book, I was sure “On the other hand” would be amazing. And the book not only kept up with the expectations, but it also surpassed it.

Renee challenges the way you think about daily activities. It is a fresh outlook to various things happening around us which we ignore most of the times.
Mohamed Rezgui
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is simply different It's not like any other philosophical book which usually contain difficult words and definitions or any other self help book in which the author gives his own answers to readers. Miss Renée "Here"
asks questions and assists in their revival and answering these questions is up to you. If I have a T-shirt and I have a double and you want a t shirt so bad
I can give you one but
Is it going to fit your size? It may be yes or no the answer to this question
The same goes
Lisdanay
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. First I would like say thanks to the author Renée Paule who kindly sent it to me. To be sincere it took me a time to read it. Sometimes to read so strong truths can be a hard, but as you are reading you realize that really we all need to confront them, if indeed we want to be better as persons, as human beings. As I was reading the book I start feeling a certain clarity, an awareness. I admire the author sincerity on her past and how she was capable of ...more
Mdspevack
Not your run of the mill self help book, 'On The Other Hand' challenges your thought process and encourages you take a look at the world from a different perspective.
This is Renee Paule's first book in which she shows an uncanny mastery of this challenging subject.
Mariana Farcas
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
On the Other Hand: The Little Anthology of Big Questions
This book is like a slow incubator, fiercely honest. Why we do what we do and why do we feel comfortable doing it? Rules, traditions?
On the Other Hand raises more questions than it answers. Recommended to teenagers and young adult.
Caroline Johnstone
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book a few years ago and came across it again recently and decided to re-read it. And enjoyed it as much as the first one I'd read, and found it to have been ahead of the curve on the subjects that seem to be the focus of some publishing houses. The big questions - who am I, why am I here, how do we think and why does it matter that we think for OURSELVES. I don't always see Renee's point of view but that's exactly what she aims for - to prod you to think for yourself, face yourself, ...more
Dan Hewitt
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I could just not put down! The author encourages us to think outside the box and not just accept the way things are just because of our circumstances. The book asks us probing questions we would rather not think about, questions about who we are and where we are going. Asking ourselves these questions and really pondering upon them is the only way that meaningful change can take place within us. In short, there is a better way of looking at life and the universe and I would ...more
Alicia
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book because I got the chance to really analyze my thoughts. Reading this confirmed that I am not the only one who questions life. Although I caught myself disagreeing with some of the content, I found myself asking myself questions why I did. It's quite fun and I'm sure anyone who reads this will have an "aha" moment .
Marc
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A compelling and thought provoking read.

Renee Paule serves up a range of insightful thoughts that offer the reader
the chance to challenge their preconceptions, and look at life from a
different perspective.

Most definitely not your run of the mill self help book.
Shivaji Das
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'On the other hand' is a book unlike most I have read for a long time. In the Socratic tradition of asking questions, this book is sort of a series of questions to ask yourself to understand your true self.
At the face of it, the book may seem like a difficult read as the relentless and unending series of questions and no obvious answers seems to be coming from the author herself. The questions also zoom in and zoom out in a bit of unstructured way.
But what is most remarkable for me about this
Paul
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won
I received a free copy of this book as a Goodreads giveaway

This turned out to be a rather different book to what I had expected and was not quite as easy a read as I had imagined. Challenging and thought-provoking, I found it needed a higher level of focus and concentration than I had anticipated.

It took me a while to get through it and found it easier to digest and understand when I read it during the day without distractions. On the whole a good read, although it won’t suit everyone,
Godwin
Jul 08, 2014
Maren
Mar 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
'Self-reflection', 'Know Thyself' and 'Semi-autobiography'

'Top of the morning' from Ireland.

Many years ago I wrote my autobiography - probably more as therapy than anything else - but life continued happening to me and I got to thinking, what good will this story do, isn’t there enough misery in the world without me adding to it by writing more? I subsequently burnt it. It was around this time