Start by marking “A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong (Blackshear Family, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong (Blackshear Family, #0.5)

A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong

(Blackshear Family 0.5)

It should have been simple...

With one more errand to go—the purchase of a hunting falcon—Andrew Blackshear has Christmas completely under control. As his sister's impending marriage signals the inevitable drifting-apart of the Blackshear family, it's his last chance to give his siblings the sort of memorable, well-planned holiday their parents could never seem to provide.

Published December 4th 2014 by Cecilia Grant

To ask other readers questions about A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong

Start your review of A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong (Blackshear Family, #0.5)
Jill

Andrew Blackshear. As the eldest Blackshear, Andrew takes his responsibilities seriously. He is afterall, the role model for his younger siblings. He also dotes on them, which is why he's out on the day before Christmas Eve braving foul weather in the wilds of Norfolk to buy his sister a hunting falcon.

Lucy Sharp. As the only child brought up in the care of her father, Lucy has lacked society and any real interaction with the opposite sex. An invitation from her aunt to attend her very
Christina ~ Brunette Reader
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christina ~ Brunette Reader by: Jill

4,5 Stars

[...] and trouble found him, in torrents that put the winter squall to shame.

Buying the perfect Christmas gift for his beloved sister has brought Andrew Blackshear in the midst of the cold Norfolk countryside in search of a hunting falcon. At the household of a local baron, who trains and trades said birds of prey, he meets the nobleman's lively and unconventional daughter, Miss Lucy Sharp. Exasperated by her artless and straightforward manners, handsome but starchy Andrew cannot
Belinda
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars - English Ebook
A free spirit in a Historical setting. I liked this novella. The main character has a way about her you start to like her. Even if she is living in a timeline atleast a hundered years ago.
Al George
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Cecilia Grant, there, that's all, I really do

This was a buddy read with Becca and I am so grateful she made me yank this one out of my TBR pile in to my next up pile. I know this was not her cuppa and I am happy she took one for the team.

I cannot being to explain how amazing this author is. I have no words. She stops me in her tracks with a turn of phrase, how she can make someone so overbearing and so proper and so rigid kinda wonderful, how she does whatever the hell this is that she
Lady Wesley
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After fighting the Amazon bureaucracy, Cecilia Grant has made this one a free download. If you haven't read her first three books (which are excellent), no matter. This one is a prequel.

It's short, sweet, funny, and touching. As in her three books, Grant's writing is impeccable. I just wish that she could write faster.
Caz
4.5 stars.

It’s been some time since Ms Grant published her last full-length novel, so I was delighted when I read that she would be putting out a novella for Christmas.

A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong is a prequel to her Blackshear family novels, and features the eldest brother, Andrew, who is also a kind of substitute father to his younger siblings (who include Martha, Will and Nick, who we have met in the novels.) He comes across as rather a stuffy young man – intent on maintaining propriety
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
This is such a delightful story and a wonderful introduction to Cecilia Grant’s books. Not since reading my first Courtney Milan book have I been so excited about a new-to-me author. Even within the constraints of this novella, Ms Grant brings her characters to life and creates a story full of originality and charm.

Following his parents’ death, Andrew Blackshear has shouldered responsibility for the upbringing of his younger siblings. He has always endeavoured to set a good example by being the
Cyndi
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Our hero has spent most of his life trying to lead a life as a good example to his younger siblings. He is serious and stoic. Our heroine is a sweet young girl raised by her father along with the falcons he raises.
Our hero plans to buy a falcon for his sister when he meets our heroine. Through a series of circumstances the two find themselves stranded through Christmas.
A sweet romance with a bit of ‘the hot and heavy’ while they pose as Mr. and Mrs.
Hollis
If you love reading about constant agonies surrounding comportment and etiquette and propriety and duty (yes, those are mostly synonyms of the same thing, how clever of you to notice), then you'll love A CHRISTMAS GONE PERFECTLY WRONG. Grant's prequel to her Blackshear Family series features a pretty stuffy starchy dude who gradually becomes a little less unstuffed, whilst mostly keeping true to his values, and the unworldly girl who constantly challenges him on his rules whilst still loving him ...more
Iliada
This book was such a wonderful surprise! I loved, loved, loved Cecilia Grant's writing style. She has such a strong writing voice and so fitting for an HR. I am tired of HRs that read like CRs. What I need is more books like this one. I can only compare it to writers such as Mary Balogh or Courtney Milan that write mature HRs for clever women. Many thanks to my friend Jill for the great rec.

The only thing I can complain about is that the story took place in three days. I prefer longer timelines
Ursula
Another strange one from this author. She really knows how to create repressed, uptight MCs!
It was actually quite a sweet story, although I never like it when the heroine has to do all the running, which was the case here.
The hero was a repressed gentleman so bound by convention and good manners that he had forgotten how to be light-hearted and how to have fun. The heroine was an unconventionally-raised girl who gradually melts his cold, rather judgemental heart.
He really did have a poker up his
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
Well, this was extremely unsatisfying.

Not only did the MCs NOT have sex!!! How can they not have sex!!!! It's a novella but come ON! It's a romance novel!!!!

Not only did the MCs NOT have sex, but the words just kept dragging on. I like the way Cecilia Grant writes, for the most part. A couple of her novels have been favorites of mine. But they are hit and miss.

This was a miss.

I should have "listened" to the other reviews...

Arrrgggghhhh!
OLT
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a Christmas story done perfectly right. The Blackshear family has interesting but imperfect, at times troubled people as its members, as Grant's first three novels show us (A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family),A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family), and A Woman Entangled (Blackshear Family)). Not only does Grant create great characters, but her writing is some of the best in the historical romance world and I snap up everything she writes.

This novella is a prequel to the three novels and
Becca
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
I almost didn't finish this, but the ending picked up with enough emotion that I was able to get through it.

This was a Buddy Read with Ally, who enjoyed this more than me (so jealous!). So why didn't I love this story? Many of my GR friends raved about this author, but for me, there was something missing. I recognized beautiful turns of phrase throughout this novella and remembered thinking to myself that the writer has talent...but.

I do not think the author's style is for me. I felt myself
puppitypup
Historic Romance Engaging!

Well, my friends were right on this one, what an enjoyable read! It's a shorter story, at only 188 pages, but the characters are drawn with considerable depth.

Ms. Grant's writing captivated me from the start, in fact, she is going straight to my "favorite authors" list. The dialogue is fast paced, the characters likeable and realistic. Andrew, the hero, is an honorable man. I especially enjoyed watching him come to grips with the true meaning of honor.

To the best of my
Megan
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love that Cecilia Grant continues to write difficult, nuanced characters, and that their romantic arcs involve acceptance of their difficult, nuanced selves. That she doesn't try to charm readers with her characters demonstrates a level of respect (for readers) that's not found often in the romance genre, and it's a breath of fresh air.

Also, I love Christmas stories that are about forgiveness and good neighborliness, and this manages to incorporate all of the above beautifully into a road trip
Lyuda
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of the author and this wonderful Christmas novella was no exception. It is full of delightful characters and Christmas spirit. Proud , honest and duty bound Andrew Blackshear had always thought his future domestic life would be shared with a "prudently chosen, methodically courted, sensible-natured wife". His encounter with Miss Lucy Sharp, daughter of a baron, turned this vision of domestics upside down. Their reluctant courtship was full of delightful obstacles, and prevalent ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
The prequel (.05) book in the Blackshear Family series by Cecilia Grant. Andrew Blackshear journeys to the country to find a falcon for his sister. There he encounters the lovely young Lucy Sharp.

This was a short story. It was a good read but it didn't grabbed my attention as much as I'd have liked. I'm not sure why. The characters were likable and the basic storyline was pleasant. It just didn't have that something that made it really something.
Miranda Davis
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Miranda by: Jill & Lady Wesley's reviews
Shelves: 4-5-stars
Joy to the World!

What a voluptuous sigh of a story.

-ya
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to -ya by: Jill
Shelves: hr, kindle-unlimited
Cecilia Grant is a new-to-me author and her writing style is so different from any other HRs I have read. A Surprisingly engaging novella. RTC ^-^

#low steam
Andrea
I rarely read non-Heyer Regencies, but this one came across the recommendation stream so I tried it out. Two agreeable characters, and at least a reasonable excuse for the trend of sex before marriage in modern Regencies. Not really in re-read territory though.
Amy Cousins
This was absolutely fabulous. I haven't been reading many historicals lately, but I'll be glomming the rest of the Blackshear books immediately. Grant writes with that subtle, exquisite humor that makes you want to underline almost every sentence, because it made you grin. Man, she's damn good.

Plus, her handling of the characters' development and growth, the change that is needed for these two very different people to end up together, is masterful. Everything is managed with such precision that
Pamela
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
Absolute Christmas perfection. To all those non-Romance followers (most of you, I imagine) this is one of those that might work for you, if you enjoy witty, light historical fiction.

Lucy Sharp, the smart independently minded daughter of an atheist, meets Andrew Blackshear when he comes to buy a falcon from her father. He is the most proper of proper people, the sober eldest son of a large boisterous family. It’s the day before Christmas Eve and because of the poor weather he ends up stuck with
Dabney
It’s always fun when a series goes back in time and shares the story of someone with whom you’ve already read a good bit about. The eldest Blackshear brother, Andrew, has appeared in all three of the books in Ms. Grant’s series as a caring, staid, married father. His marriage to Lucy was mentioned in the first pages of the first book, A Lady Awakened.

Thus, this charming novella’s conclusion is one this reader knew when picking up the book. That foresight, however, didn’t spoil my experience of
Joan
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Glorious. A fabulously rich, detailed and beautifully written novella (which was actually close to a full length book as far as I could make out!)

There are moments of pure bliss:

But he could scarcely imagine any act so ill becoming a gentleman as to pleasure himself in a quest-room while wearing his host's nightshirt and conjuring lewd scenes involving his host's daughter. Lord Sharp didn't deserve that; his daughter didn't deserve it; whoever was responsible for laundering the sheets didn't
Amanda

I liked starchy Andrew, I liked saucy Lucy, and I liked all the road trip hijinks they inevitably found themselves in, but I didn’t quite like how it all came together in the end. It was almost as if Andrew and Lucy were too opposite to ever be believably compatible, plus the chemistry between them wasn’t all there for me either. Or maybe it was their differences and ability to accept and love each other as they were that did in fact make them a good pairing. After all, loving someone
Ilze
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've read a large number of Christmas-themed Regency novellas, a number of them recently published where Christmas is just incidental background to a stock "Regency-land" love story. This story is not like that at all and with the possible exception of one or two by Mary Balogh, I don't think I've ever read a finer Christmas-themed novella than this one about an overly duty-bound young man (Andrew Blackshear, eldest of the Blackshear siblings) and the utterly delightful Miss Lucy Sharp, daughter ...more
Melanie
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun little novella and if you haven’t read any of this author’s stories before, I think you should give this prequel to the other books, a chance.

The Blackshear family is interesting, intriguing and vastly amusing.

I liked Andrew, the oldest Blackshear brother so much. Talk about a gentleman! He is one of those hero’s that you can’t help but like. He is so prim and proper, so “starched” that being in his mind I just couldn’t help but chuckle through the whole book.

And then we have
Melissa
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh my, what a delightful, cozy, funny, sweet, romantic novella! I loved every word of this, and when I finished a few minutes ago, I might just have had a tear in my eye. What can I say, good holiday stories do that to me, even ones read on a rainy day two months before Christmas.

Cecilia Grant has one of the top spots on my list of favorite historical romance authors. She's so good at all of it - creating characters with depth, writing beautiful prose, and engaging reader emotions. The entire
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • A Delicate Deception (Regency Imposters, #3)
  • Mangos and Mistletoe
  • One Bed for Christmas (Baldwin Village, #0.5)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • Miracle on Ladies' Mile
  • The Rogue of Fifth Avenue (Uptown Girls, #1)
  • Love Lettering
  • Grumpy Jake
  • White Whiskey Bargain
  • The A.I. Who Loved Me
  • Open House (Uptown, #2)
  • Tikka Chance on Me
  • A Little Light Mischief (The Turner Series, #3.5)
  • Stocking Stuffers (So Over The Holidays, #1)
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #2)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
I write Regency-set historical romance with a high angst-to-plot ratio. I specialize in hard-headed heroines and good-hearted heroes. So far.

A word about the "reviews" I post here: Please think of them as recommendations rather than reviews. If I like a book, I'll list it here and scrawl a few sentences about why I liked it. I've gone back and forth about whether to use stars (it feels like a

Blackshear Family (3 books)
  • A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • A Woman Entangled (Blackshear Family, #3)
“If you expect to never make a mistake with the people you love, you’ll only disappoint yourself. Over and over.” 1 likes
“There was little point in mourning a thing you’d never had, and so she didn’t mourn, most days.” 1 likes