Start by marking “The Night Butterflies” as Want to Read:
The Night Butterflies

The Night Butterflies

It is always dark. Warmer than it should be. The sun is a dull glower of reproach, only sometimes visible through the fallout. A once-majestic university town is crumbled, ashen and divided. The Men have made their home the Facility, where they develop the medication to combat the radiation that would otherwise kill those left alive.

Another day at school for Teacher. Anot
Kindle Edition
Published October 2nd 2014 by RIW Press

To ask other readers questions about The Night Butterflies, please sign up.
Sara Litchfield Sorry I didn't see this question earlier! The book isn't aimed specifically at a YA audience, but it can certainly be enjoyed by lovers of that genre.…moreSorry I didn't see this question earlier! The book isn't aimed specifically at a YA audience, but it can certainly be enjoyed by lovers of that genre. There are five main characters and two are hitting their early teens, while the others are adult. The book is written across the five points of view. There is no gratuitous sex/violence, but it contains adult themes. (less)

Start your review of The Night Butterflies
Sara
Real Rating: 3.5 / 5

Genetically engineered babies, mind-numbing medications, and an incinerator where rebels and children are burned alive - that's the post-apocalyptic Britain that readers will visit in Sara Litchfield's debut novel, The Night Butterflies. I already knew Sara from being one of the beta-readers for The Night Butterflies last year. So I was thrilled when the final printed version arrived in the mail so I could read it again.

One thing that the above synopsis doesn't reveal about T
Beth Teliho
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow. This book's plot is refreshingly different! I'm still reeling a bit from the read. Complex, unique (< which is hugely important to me), SMART, well written novel. I can't shake the characters...and the circumstances in which they live....OMG...chilling yet fascinating. The characters are so well developed, I can literally hear them right now. I can *see* how they move and walk. This is an intelligent read - Litchfield is not going after readers who want a predictable love triangle or the cl ...more
Jenny Knipfer
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Although outside of my usual genre of historical fiction, I enjoyed this engaging story. Litchfield paints a rich drama of moral dilemma in this expertly crafted dystopian tale. Told in several view points, the readers grasps the feel of those humans striving to evade extinction and their genetically engineered, flawed offspring.
Libby
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review originally published on Through the Wardrobe.

Imagine a stark world where medication is your only sustenance, manufactured offspring your only company and a dark secret your only hope. Where the very air is poison and the concept of humanity has been lost. This is the world of The Night Butterflies.

Litchfield centres her debut novel within a dark dystopian future, a place where learning to survive is key in the aftermath of a nuclear apocalypse but it comes at a price. Exploring the devolu
Helena Hann-Basquiat
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In a world saturated by Hunger Games clones, The Night Butterflies is a refreshing, intelligent, well written alternative to the pseudo-dystopian novels that currently fill the shelves. This is no teenage angsty love triangle story. The characters in this novel aren't complaining that their freedom or rights have been taken from them -- they are, instead, stripped of their very humanity. In a post-war world where the very air is poison, Men and Women are separated, as a mysterious Leader and his ...more
Tam Francis
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent twist with originality and surprise in an overcrowded genre. Litchfield starts out with one of the best first sentences I've read in a long time. We know we're not in a happy world. She then proceeds to create compelling characters from various POVs, that all work to tell the story.

Just when you think you've met your protagonist, she turns you on your heels and creates a hero you never saw coming. I love post apocalyptic and dystopian books, and this one doesn't disappoint. At a con
Hannah Chater
Jun 08, 2015
Kate Taylor
Sep 24, 2015
Sara Litchfield
Oct 03, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Mar 30, 2016
Mar 12, 2017

• The Binding
  • Winter Garden
  • Ever Faithful (Vintage National Parks #3)
  • Waves of Mercy (Waves of Mercy, #1)
  • Burial Rites
  • Striking Romance (New York Rebel Girls, #1)
  • Christmas Fiction Off the Beaten Path
  • Chapters of My Heart: Poems About What the Heart Endures, and Survives
Sara Litchfield is an author and explorer who believes in making a mark on the wall of the world. After savouring life as a theologian at Cambridge and an accountant in London, she emigrated to Middle Earth (sometimes known as New Zealand), where she now devotes herself to all things words and wonderful.

Her debut novel, dystopian thriller The Night Butterflies, was released in 2014.

Visit her digi