Start by marking “Grip (Slip, #2)” as Want to Read:
Grip (Slip, #2)

Grip

(Slip #2)

In a tumultuous world of population control, one illegal child has slipped through the cracks. Now, as a teenager, Benson Kelly has escaped certain death at the hands of the Department of Population Control, only to find himself the symbol of a rebellion, something he never intended.

While trying to survive one day at a time, Benson seeks to unravel the tangled knot of
Published December 1st 2014 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Grip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grip

Start your review of Grip (Slip, #2)
Dannii Elle
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley. Thank you to the author, David Estes, and the publisher, Createspace, for this opportunity.

This is the first instalment in a science fiction trilogy, set in the dystopian, fictional future of our own world. Rising sea levels and diminished resources means the human species is under threat of extinction. The only way to save the entire human race is to sacrifice a few. The ruthless government organisation, known as
Marla
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: david-estes
A great middle book to the Slip trilogy. This book advances the group and story back into St. Louis as they take on the Hunters, Destroyer and Corrigan Mars. I can't wait to find out what happens in the conclusion. Also a few revelations are revealed in the second book that explains why things happened in book one.
David Estes
Oct 03, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
The sequel to SLIP is now AVAILABLE!! I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't read the first book yet, but I'd venture to say the sequel has even more action and shocking moments than SLIP. I appreciate all your support and I hope you enjoy the read!

Get GRIP for Kindle HERE: http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Slip-Trilo...

Get GRIP in Amazon Paperback HERE: http://www.amazon.com/Grip-The-Slip-T...
Jenny
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2014
Holy Guacamole Batman!

Grip is the gripping (pardon the pun) sequel to Slip, my former favorite book by David Estes. Grip has now taken that honor! This book just STUNNED me! Sequels in general have a top job living up to their predecessors, but Grip achieved this with flying colors!

**I should mention at this point that there will be spoilers for Slip in this review, but none for Grip.**

I was so looking forward to this book! I actually read Slip for the first time as an ARC last June, so I
Karen’s Library
Holy schnikes, I am still REELING from the last sentence in this powerful sequel to Slip!

As Grip opens, we find the gang all together in Lifer headquarters. I can’t seem to get enough of the Kelly family. Benson, Harrison and, especially Janice, are back along with Luce, Check, Rod and Gonzo. New characters are introduced along with thrilling new reveals that absolutely took my breath away. Harrison decides to seek Benson’s Death Match and kill him so that Benson can be free and no longer an
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley.]

Keeping on catching up with my NetGalley readings. I finished the first book earlier this week, now on to book 2, which was also a good one in its own way, and not the dread ‘second book syndrome sufferer’ I usually fear in such cases.

It does pave up the way to the ‘grand finale’ of book 3, of course, among other things by introducing new developments and therefore a third way, so to speak. It’s not about the hunt for Slips only, not anymore;
Heaven
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read the first book I gave it so much praise and was very disappointed that it did not have as much attention as it should have. Now, I want to scream because this series needs to have so much more publicity.

Usually moving on into a series the books are never as good as the first, however, this book was better than the first. My heart broke multiple times, I was on the edge of my seat, my fingers could not swipe the page fast enough and I was left with a serious cliff hanger. If you like
kynndra-jo
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
TRIGGER WARNING FOR SUICIDAL ACTIONS AND THOUGHT.

I received Grip (Slip #2) in exchange for an honest review.

Just take my heart and soul right now, David. Seriously. Just take it.

Grip was the solemn sequel to Slip. I mean that in every sense of the word. Everything about it was tragic, heart wrenching and beautiful. If I am being honest I have the urge to cuss like trucker because I cuss when I am really thrilled about something but I'm going to refrain because this book deserves a good and
Lola
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

I just finished Grip and I am still not 100% what to think of it, I am not sure whether I enjoyed it, but it was a good book. The pace and writing style done well and the first 30% had me hooked, after that it got darker and heavier and I can only hope it's all worth it in the end. Some parts of scenes were hard to read and I had to skip a few parts. There are some great scenes and some heartbreaking ones. It definitely wasn't an easy book to
Think
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review to come!!!!
HINT: It's brilliant.
Rubina
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
For more awesome books and the reviews of the rest of the series go at

Gripping, captivating and enthralling. This book continuesin the wake of Slip and makesthe reader delve deaper in the world of Benson Kelly. This was a one sit read for me that I absolutely loved and would recommend it to every dystopian fan. The book was awesome, intriguing and captivating all at the same time with its masterfully structured plot and well developed characters and last
Doug Peters
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
How how how how how does this book have >4 stars? I'm being generous with 3, just because I managed to finish it. It's clearly a YA book, but seems to lack all respect for young adults' ability understand more than the barest scraps of plot and character development. There are so many plot holes and unbelievable coincidences that I don't know where to start. The concept of this book is strong, but the realization has been severely disappointing. It was so disappointing that, despite my ...more
Nicola Dorrington
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y-a, dystopian, ebook, ebooks
So where do I start with Grip?

It is a sad fact that most middle books of trilogies struggle. It's just the way it works. I've yet to read many middle books that I absolutely love. 90% of the time they feel a little like filler.

Grip just about makes it to the top of my list of middle books. Estes manages to escape most of the problems associated with middle books and actually made Grip a book I cared about, rather than just a way to get to the final book.

The 3rd person, present tense still
Anna J. Shelby ☕
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mount-ebook
A fantastic sequel. Fast paced and action packed. The twist at the end didn't work for me since I expected it but it's still masterfully done.
Benson and Harrison find themselves among two fronts. The Lifers and Pop Con. As things fall in place and the big game moves on to the political level, action scenes get crazier, the lies and intrigues behind the scenes paint the details we already know in a whole new color.
I like the new Slip. The character development continues on the great path it took
Donna
What a great read from David Estes. The second book in the series had some very sad moments and some poignant moments. There was action and a battle between the evil machine, the Destroyer, who is about ten percent human still, and the slips, especially Benson and his twin Harrison. Their friends are very individual people too, with their own stories of how they came to be in the slip community.

I love the relationship between the twins and their mother Janice. The book is constantly giving
Angela Robertson
Amazing, agonizing for more!

I can usually put a book down for a while, even a good book, for a short while. I could NOT put this down. I think my family thinks I've left the planet; I've been so far 'in' I'm not sure I could've focused very long on the outside world (okay, emergencies excluded). I finished Slip in record time, and I thought it was excellent. Grip is that much better. Kudos to Mr. Estes for keeping the action going and, just when you think you've figured it out, WHAM! You know so
Josh Finlay
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
For anyone who is reading this, stop what you are doing. Don't think. Just buy this book (and the 1st one, Slip, if you haven't read it already). I was hooked after Slip, but Grip took it to another level. Edge of your seat amazing. Heart wrenching, inspiring. Words cannot explain.

David, I've just bought Flip so I'm off to start reading. Amazon review to come tomorrow! Thank you for this amazing ride.
☆Joycedale☆
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Honestly I only started this because I had forgotten my paperback at home but my kindle was in my purse. I thought I'll just read it during my son's physical therapy appt then continue it after I finish the book I've already started.
That didn't happen. I got so sucked into the story I finished it today, never picking up the book I had already started.
This story is just so unreal with all its point twists and unexpected scenes.
Laura Clarke
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A cliff hanger and some!!!! I simply can not wait for the third instalment. A series of books I can see rocketing to the top five at the end of this new year!!!
Jenna
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow this story continues with an action packed fast paced sequel. The writing is again excellent the characters are so David Estes real and strong.
Victoria Zigler
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely fantastic sequel to Slip; I can't wait for the third book to come out!
Dannica Zulestin
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: viva, did-not-ship
Sequel to Slip, which I read quite a while ago now. It's good to know what happened next to the characters, but I didn't think this book was as good as the first one.

Plot
Harrison and Benson are hiding out at Refuge, the secret lair of the Lifers. All is well until the arrival of another Slip, a girl named Destiny, heralds disaster for the base, and in the aftermath Harrison sets out to make his brother legal by killing his Death Match. Supposedly this will right the problem that Benson's Death
Joanne Sim
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Original review is available on my blog: https://yaguitarist.wordpress.com/201...

The sequel to Slip is indeed GRIPping. It is so gripping that I was unable to stop reading the novel once I started. If Slip is the introduction to the world and characters, Grip is going to be the novel where everything escalated. Character development is prominent in Grip. Benson was placed in a position where he had to make important choices to protect those he hold dear.

In this sequel, there is a higher emphasis
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Grip is the sequel to Slip and I honestly thought that this book was going to suffer from middle book syndrome but it definitely doesn't. After reading Slip I couldn't wait to get into Grip as soon as possible. Grip, if possible, is even darker than Slip, with higher stakes and even more twists! It completely exceeded my expectations!

The main things I need to say about Grip are it lived up to what I was hoping. In my Slip review I did mentioned that Harrison and Michael were lacking character
Alyson Stone
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, arc
Book: Grip
Author: David Estes
Rating: 4 Out of 5 Stars

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with this free galley in exchange for an honest review. I would also like to thank David Estes for providing me with a free copy of Slip-almost two years ago-which got me hooked on this series.

So, as many of you know, this is not my first David Estes book. I have written a number of reviews for his books and will keep doing so. I am a fan of his writing and books; I strongly
Bullman
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great imagination

Wow, David Estes sure knows how to deprive people of sleep. Once I started reading this series I can not stop! A genuine story packed with action and story twists. The writing is superb as always and the editing is spot on. David Estes ranks right up there with George R.R. Martin in my book. A+A+A+
Christine Bishop
Slip, Grip, Flip!!

Janice Kelly is by far my favorite character in Grip! I love the way her mind works and her love for her boys is so strong and so fierce that she will do anything to protect them and she will also do anything to protect other mothers from the same fate. Grip is a great addition to the story and I can’t wait to start reading the next book in the series!
Pamela Graves
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely recommend this second book to Slip!!!

This one kept me one the edge of my seat.No way to predict what was going to happen.The ending was great!
Alex Williams
Pretty good. Let's see how it ends.

Looking forward to the ending but have to say, the Destroyer is somewhat annoying. On to Flip and the finale!
Roar Sæthre
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

One of the better apocalypse stories. I found it difficult to stop reading, got hooked as the ploy developed.. recommended read!
« previous 1 3 next »
David Estes Fans ...: January 2015 Book of the Month - Grip 26 15 Jan 15, 2015 01:22PM

• Emperor's Throne (Desert Cursed #6)
  • Into the Hourglass (The Evermore Chronicles, #2)
  • Everafter Song (The Evermore Chronicles #3)
  • Invasion (The Warrior Chronicles, #4)
  • Heritage of Power (The Complete Series #1-5)
  • Ash (The Elemental Series, #6)
  • Shadow Lands (The Warrior Chronicles, #3)
  • Rootbound (The Elemental Series, #5)
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
  • Overtaken (The Warrior Chronicles, #6)
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series #1)
  • Endless Flight (Benjamin Ashwood #2)
  • Siege (The Warrior Chronicles, #5)
  • Breakwater (The Elemental Series, #2)
  • Unspeakable Things
  • Empty Horizon (Benjamin Ashwood #4)
  • Chosen (The Warrior Chronicles, #1)
  • Benjamin Ashwood (Benjamin Ashwood #1)
Get a FREE short story from David Estes' #1 Amazon bestselling epic fantasy series, Fatemarked, when you sign up for his mailing list: https://www.subscribepage.com/b2v6v3

David Estes has written more than 30 science fiction and fantasy books. He loves chatting with his readers, all of whom he considers to be his friends. David lives in Hawaii with his beautiful Aussie wife, Adele, his asthmatic

Slip (3 books)
  • Slip (Slip, #1)
  • Flip (Slip, #3)
“Happy moments are like stars. They seem so close you think you can
touch them, but really they’re fleeting and a million miles away. Enjoy them from afar and don’t come to expect them. In your life there will be more cloudy nights than clear ones.”
2 likes
“because even the strongest people can feel weak for a moment, bent but not broken, chipped but not shattered.” 1 likes