Start by marking “The Last Boy at St. Edith's” as Want to Read:
The Last Boy at St. Edith's

The Last Boy at St. Edith's

Seventh grader Jeremy Miner has a girl problem. Or, more accurately, a girls problem. Four hundred and seventy-five of them. That's how many girls attend his school, St. Edith's Academy.
Jeremy is the only boy left after the school's brief experiment in coeducation. And he needs to get out. His mom won't let him transfer, so Jeremy takes matters into his own hands: He's go
Published February 23rd 2016 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about The Last Boy at St. Edith's, please sign up.
Hannah You've got two options here:
1) Go to your local bookstore, find the book, purchase it, go home, open it up, and read it
2) Go to your local library,…more
You've got two options here:
2) Go to your local library, find the book, check it out, go home, open it up, and read it(less)

Victoria Coe
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Last Boy at St. Edith's is incredibly fun and funny, and full of heart. Through genuine and very relatable characters, the story raises questions about gender roles, while at the same time emphasizing the importance of authentic friendship.

I laughed out loud throughout the book. The plot, which involves a series of hilarious pranks, is funny on its own. But add in the main character Jeremy's insecurities and cluelessnes
Jenn Bishop
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Girls, girls, girls. No matter where he turns, Jeremy Miner is surrounded by them. At home, it’s mom and his two sisters. And then all day at school it’s . . . well, everyone. St. Edith’s Academy, a former all-girls school, made an effort to go co-ed, but there’s been a lot of attrition among their boy population and before Jeremy knows it, he’s the last one. The absolute last male student at St. Edith’s Academy. Yikes. Jeremy’s determined to do something about this situation, and he finds his s ...more
Monica Tesler
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to read an advance reviewer copy of The Last Boy at St. Edith's. After a failed attempt to go co-ed, St. Edith's School has only one boy left, and that's our hero, Jeremy. Not thrilled to be the last boy standing, Jeremy is on a mission to get kicked out by executing outrageous pranks. This book is impeccably executed, engaging, funny, and smart. The middle school characters, particularly Jeremy, Claudia, and Emily, come alive on the page. The relationships between the characters ...more
Melanie
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's not often that you find a middle grade with heart that also has real, honest-to-goodness, laugh out loud humor, but THE LAST BOY AT ST. EDITH'S is just that.

This is the story of seventh grader Jeremy Miner, who has a girl problem: namely, he is the last boy at an all-girls school. St. Edith's is a great school, offering a top-notch education that might set Jeremy up for scholarships in the future...but being surrounded by girls all day is just too much. When the only other boy at St. Edith'
Casey Lyall
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Please pull up a chair and let me tell you all about how much I loved The Last Boy at St. Edith's!

First of all, the plot was totally fun and original. Jeremy Miner is the last boy left at an all-girls school (for reasons) and he's determined to get himself kicked out by unleashing a series of pranks. Hilariousness ensues...as well as a number of unexpected side effects.

Lee Malone has crafted a great group of believable and relatable characters. I loved the relationships between Jeremy and his t
Ruth Lehrer
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this 2016 gem. Want some fun? This is the book for you. The Last Boy at St. Edith's is clever and funny and full of heart. The characters were so real they walked off the page and made you root for them, even when they were doing things you knew they shouldn't. In addition, Malone provides us with lots of food for thought about gender roles and friendship. Loved the fictional western Massachusetts towns.
Lois Sepahban
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to read an advanced copy of THE LAST BOY AT ST. EDITH'S.

After a failed experiment to turn St. Edith's all-girls school co-ed, Jeremy Miner is the last boy left. He has friends, but being surrounded by girls, he wants a more normal life. He hatches a plan to get himself kicked out of school so that his mom will be forced to let him enroll at a different school.

I enjoyed this book, and I particularly appreciated Jeremy's character arc. Over the course of the story he learns that what
S.M. Parker
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
No wonder Jeremy wants out of his school. He’s the last remaining boy. He’s literally surrounded by girls—at school, and at home. And what better way to get kicked out of school than pull some major pranks? The premise of this book is spectacular and the hijinks too adorable. Malone’s dialogue made me legit laugh out loud and her characters were so special and fully formed (even when they were being totally clueless). This MG debut flawlessly deals with issues of identity, first crushes, friends ...more
Dee
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I had the chance to read an ARC of The Last Boy at St. Edith's.

This book is so many wonderful things rolled into one. Jeremy is the last boy at a school full of girls. The story is about him dealing with all the challenges this unique situation brings and exploring his friendships- the ones he has, the ones he's avoided, and the ones he's wishing for. I loved the interactions between the characters and the humor that's infused throughout the book.

We get to go along with a character who is so su
Ki-Wing
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to receive THE LAST BOY AT ST. EDITH'S as part of an ARC tour... that was the easy part. The hard part was getting a chance to read it. My grade-schooler at home kept stealing this book!

Not only did he devour the book in one sitting, he returned to reread it slowly, and then persisted in reading over my shoulder. Finally, I was able to finish while he was in school.

I was drawn to Malone's exploration of middle school friendships and her portrayal of a boy coming to see more clearly
Abby Cooper
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fun, unique, well-written book! Fast-paced THE LAST BOY OF ST. EDITH'S really hooked me and didn't let go until the end. It truly flowed from first page to last. I was really impressed with the writing style and can't wait for more from Malone!

Jeremy, the main character, is incredibly relatable. He struggles with decisions, makes mistakes, and tries to navigate challenging situations with family, friends, and school the best he knows how. He doesn't always handle things perfectly, but who
Kathy MacMillan
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance reading copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

First off, I have to say that I had to battle my ten-year-old son for this ARC. He'd seen a blurb about the book months ago, and had been asking weekly when we would get it. So once that ARC came into the house, he grabbed it and wouldn't let go until he was done. He loved the pranks, the characters, and pretty much everything about it.

So did I. Seventh-grader Jeremy finds himself in the unfortunate position of bein
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to read an ARC of The Last Boy at St. Edith's.

Jeremy Miner is surrounded by girls. Girls at home, girls at school, girls everywhere. As the very last boy at St. Edith's, he is sick of girls. His mom is somewhat sympathetic but St. Edith's is a great school, and Jeremy gets to go there for free. So Jeremy decides to get kicked out with the help of his good friend Claudia. How? Pranks. The most epic pranks that St. Edith's has ever seen.

This book was so fun and thought-prov
Robin Yardi
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Last Boy at St. Edith’s is peopled with a rich, fabulously flawed, and funny cast of middle school characters. Jeremy, the LAST boy at a now all girls’ school, is surrounded by kids who seem to know exactly who they are. His friend Claudia is brash, passionate about film, and fearless. Emily is studious, quietly territorial, and whatever she’s afraid of, she keeps carefully hidden. But Jeremy flounders in St. Edith’s sea of baby blue plaid, struggling to know how he can learn to be a young m ...more
Andrew Brumbach
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was too much fun to put down. Great writing, great characters, tons of heart. Malone has captured the ethos of middle school, and delivered a funny, unpredictable plot in the process. The interactions between Jeremy, Claudia, Anna, and Emily were completely believable and enthralling. The characters were likable and flawed and I was rooting for all of them. If there are more adventures ahead for Jeremy and Co., sign me up.
Janet
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was so much fun! When Jeremy becomes the last boy at St. Edith's, he and his friend Claudia decide to pull a bunch of pranks to get him kicked out. Of course things don't go as planned. Duh, duh, duh . . .

The characters really made this book. They are so spot on for middle graders. I loved the friendship between Jeremy and Claudia. I loved the awkwardness between Jeremy and Anna. The horrors of a parent
Erin Petti
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Lee Gjertsen Malone has written a funny and engaging book for MG readers. We follow Jeremy on his mission to get kicked out of school - the results of which eventually force him realize just what he's got.

The author captures a cluelessness that can be a little cringe-worthy for an adult reader, but for Middle School kids, I think it's probably right on the money :)

The value of a true friendship comes shining through in the end.
Bridget Hodder
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THE LAST BOY AT ST. EDITH'S is a funny, poignant tale that entertains at the same time as it gently leads us to think about issues like class, economic privilege, alienation, trust, and empathy.

As the very last boy in a school full of girls, Jeremy feels both painfully conspicuous (when the volleyball team keeps laughing at him, or boys from other schools bully him) and somehow, at the exact same time...invisible. He doesn't yet have the maturity to realize, however, that these feelings are not
Short  Reviews
1 star. I'd give it zero stars if I could.

I wrote this really long review on why I hated this book but now I can't be fucked writing it again so here's the summary:

Boy hates being in a girls school so he attempts to get himself expelled by doing some lame ass pranks.

For the life of me, I could not understand why he was so desperate to get expelled.

He had friends, a best friend, none of the girls bullied him - in fact, it was one the BOY from the very school he was desperate to go to that ever
Breda
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-sold
Funny, thoughtful, and full of surprising depth, THE LAST BOY AT ST EDITH'S addresses the difficulties of standing out and the awkwardness of boy-girl friendships - all while breaking down the stark line of gender expectations.

Jeremy is stuck as the last boy at St. Edith's Academy since its failed experiment in co-education, and he hates it. But because he gets free tuition, his mother won't let him leave. So he - along with his best friend Claudia - decides his only recourse is a series of epi
Jennifer Ray
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had high hopes for this novel based on the cover-copy, but I have to say it exceeded my expectations in all areas.

There are so many things I loved about this book – but above all I just adored Jeremy. As a main character, I found him to be completely genuine and relatable, and I loved seeing how he grows throughout the course of the story.

Equal parts humorous and heartfelt, I laughed out loud numerous times while reading (there is one scene where Jeremy and his pals are holding auditions for a
Mandy
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a refreshing, fun tale for middle grade readers (and parents!). My daughter and I both read this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. We loved that the main characters were both male and female, that the humor was so so great, that the author was able to portray in her writing the anxiety building as the story progressed and that this book was just good, respectable, engaging and fun to read. I will recommend this books to many, many kids and would not hesitate to pick up another book by Lee Mal ...more
Scott
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book reminded me of one of my all-time favorite books, Harriet the Spy. That's a good thing.

The author did a great job capturing the inner workings of Jr High students. I found myself caring a great deal for each of the kids and about their relationships. It hurt to see fighting and heartbreak, especially when it was result of not thinking about how actions might affect others, typical of that age.

I'm trying hard to write this without saying too much. Just read the book.
Brooks Benjamin
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The cool thing about being a teacher and a reader is that when you get a book, you get to look at it from two totally perspectives. And as much as the two are linked, it's pretty easy to separate them when the story is set against the backdrop of school. As I began this book, my reader brain couldn't get enough of the voice. Jeremy rings so true and authentic. And his friends are equally realistic. I loved their friendship and how d
Mary
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Add this to the growing book list of prank stories. In this middle grade novel, the reluctant prankster is 8th grader Jeremy. Poor Jeremy's nightmare has come true: he is now the last boy enrolled at St Edith's, the private school his mother works for, and Jeremy is desperate to leave, even if he has to be kicked out. Unlike other more recent prank novels, like Varian Johnson's The Great Green Heist or Mac Barnett's The Terrible Two, the pacing is slower, and more believable -- more angst, less ...more
Laura Shovan
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't review books, but I do blog about them. Read my post about THE LAST BOY AT ST. EDITH'S here:

Ms. Yingling
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Jeremy's mother works at St. Edith's, a prep school with a decent academic reputation, but also a reputation for being staid and boring. In an attempt to increase enrollment, boys had been admitted to the all girls' school, but Jeremy has watched the number of boys dwindle, especially after they were all forced to be on the football team! When the only other boy left leaves, Jeremy tries to figure out a way to get his mother to let him enroll elsewhere. It'
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I remember years ago, Lee saying to a group we were both a part of, that she was going to write a book. Life got busy and we all moved apart. Fast forward oh maybe 8 or 9 years. I find myself browsing a Boston book store when an author name pops out at me. Not only was I surprised but I was very happy to see that she did write a book, so of course I snatched it right up. And I'm so glad I did! After having this book stolen from me by my 11 year old, I got my turn to read it. What an excellent fi ...more
Parker Peevyhouse
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book made me think again and again of Sport by Louise Fitzhugh (who also wrote Harriet the Spy). Both Sport and Jeremy from The Last Boy At St. Edith's are trying to cope with difficult experiences with their parents while also figuring out what kind of identity they are growing into. Jeremy's challenges with his father were the most touching part of this book, to me, and I found myself really appreciating how the family dynamics were written.

Jeremy's problems also focus a lot on hi
Kat Helgeson
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I dug this.

Title character Jeremy is sort of obnoxious - often oblivious to the feelings of his friends and family, doesn't give much thought to consequences, and single-minded in the pursuit of what HE wants - but that's a feature, not a flaw. Young readers can enjoy Jeremy's pranks (cleverly devised by Malone!) without putting him on a hero-worship pedestal. And because Jeremy's heart is clearly in the right place, he remains a lovable screwup.

« previous 1 3 4 next »

• One Mixed-Up Night
  • After Iris (The Diaries of Bluebell Gadsby, #1)
  • The Way Home Looks Now
  • How to Outrun a Crocodile When Your Shoes Are Untied (My Life Is a Zoo, #1)
  • My Seventh-Grade Life in Tights
  • Josh Baxter Levels Up
  • The First Rule of Punk
  • Death by Toilet Paper
  • The Remarkable Journey of Charlie Price
  • Posted
  • Pickle: The (Formerly) Anonymous Prank Club of Fountain Point Middle School
  • You're Wearing THAT to School?!
  • The Secret Sheriff of Sixth Grade