Start by marking “Bayard Rustin: The Invisible Activist” as Want to Read:
Bayard Rustin: The Invisible Activist

Bayard Rustin: The Invisible Activist

We need, in every community, a group of angelic troublemakers. – Bayard Rustin

To many, the Civil Rights Movement brings to mind protests, marches, boycotts, and freedom rides. They often think of people like Martin Luther King or Rosa Parks. They seldom think of Bayard Rustin.

Raised by his Quaker grandmother to believe in the value of every human being, Bayard made trouble
Paperback
Published November 15th 2014 by Quaker Books of FGC (first published November 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Bayard Rustin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bayard Rustin

Sandy
I want to give kudos to whomever did the layout. It's awesome.
Jesse the K
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent brief biography. Highlights what goes on behind the scenes to make mass movements happen. Bayard's life was fascinating. Glossary provided for readers unfamiliar with 20th century history
Sandy Brehl
After reading this biography of Rustin I’m astonished at the impressive accomplishments of a man whose name is virtually unknown. Even though I had made it a point to learn about him in studies of the Civil Rights Movement, I didn’t realize he was a Quaker. Pop culture seems to be driving people (not just youth) to validate their lives through fame rather than through the good they can do for others. I’m excited that this title released as soon as it was ready. I’m sure it will find attention du ...more
Amy
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a very fully researched book about a complex figure in the history of the Civil Rights Movement. What an amazing story! I was ashamed that I call myself an activist, yet knew very little about Rustin. I plan on using this text and pairing it with the graphic novel March, and with some of MLJ JR's lesser known speeches. This is an accessible book for middle schoolers! I am sharing it at a Gay Straight Alliance meeting too.
Amanda Coppedge
I had the pleasure of beta reading this amazing middle grade biography. I can't wait for this to be on library shelves. The amazing life story of an incredible man virtually erased from history because of his sexual orientation and commitment to pacifism.
Sara
Excellent short biography, written in a way that makes it possible for older middle-schoolers through high school to glimpse the scope of Rustin's trajectory, challenges and triumphs (and those of the civil rights movement for which he worked so hard).
Shannon
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very quick read, I plowed through in a few hours. Lots of great insight into the life of a man who should be a household name.
Jacqueline Lee
Apr 25, 2015
IAM District 161
Nov 19, 2015
Terry
Although the book describes events and attitudes of eras gone by, they are presented in a way that allows readers to connect them with the era in which they live. Rustin's is a fascinating and unique story. Young readers will not only have a window into history, but can see their “own time” on issues such as acceptance and respect, homosexuality, and living your beliefs.

Read why this was a Cybils Award finalist.
Adrienne
rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2016
Gabrielle Guichard
Nov 25, 2016
Mafe
May 11, 2018 added it
It was FENOMENAL!! The authors couldn't have described and detailed Bayard's life any better. I learn so much, felt inspired by his biography; it was an easy book to read, since most of my generation does not know who he was or do not understand most of the events that took place in the 20th century.
SUPER RECOMMENDED TO Y'ALL!!!
Ralphe Wiggins
Denise
Sep 15, 2016
Rob
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it
A great, simple history of one of my personal heroes.
Fashnhat
  • Anna Is Still Here
  • Irena's Jars of Secrets
  • Behind the Dream: The Making of the Speech that Transformed a Nation
  • Tiny Stitches: The Life of Medical Pioneer Vivien Thomas
  • Odin's Promise (Odin's Promise, #1)
  • Martí's Song for Freedom / Martí y sus versos por la libertad
  • What Was the March on Washington?
  • Bravo!: Poems About Amazing Hispanics
  • The Safest Lie
  • Saved by the Boats: The Heroic Sea Evacuation of September 11
  • Stepping Stones: A Refugee Family's Journey
  • Founding Mothers: Remembering the Ladies
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud