Start by marking “The 8 Mistakes of Amy Maxwell” as Want to Read:
The 8 Mistakes of Amy Maxwell

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The 8 Mistakes of Amy Maxwell (Amy Maxwell #1)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  139 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Amy Maxwell’s got four kids, a useless husband and crusted applesauce on her yoga pants that haven’t seen the inside of a gym in over a decade. She’s convinced her teenage daughter is up to no good, her ten year old can’t stop chattering in her ear and her oldest son has befriended a teenaged boy twice his age who is a little weird. And don’t even get her started on having ...more
Paperback, 1, 342 pages
Published October 10th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The 8 Mistakes of Amy Maxwell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 8 Mistakes of Amy Maxwell

Amy
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads-wins
This is one of the most enjoyable books I have read in awhile! It had a little mystery, and a lot of laughs! Heather Balog has made a new fan!! I will probably read this book again, I am so glad I won it on goodreads!
Jossy
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really loved the fact that this story was so simple yet engaging. I'm not a mom, wife, or even at the character age, yet I could relate to her. Although, there were circumstances where her habit of creating too many assumptions, and overanalyzing was annoying. Yet, I believe we all do that at some level when we are stressed, which was a main factor in this story.

I loved how the author managed to create an every day life routine into comedy, relatable and descriptive to the readers. Also I foun
A.M.
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own, e-books
Amy is a stay at home mom of four children. She’s got her hands full with a surly teen, a screechy ten year old, an eager six year old and a two year old toddler who wants to give up naps. And her husband retreats to his man-cave as soon as he gets home from work and she feels like a failure compared to her siblings and her own family.
So when her six year old Colton plays with the fourteen year old autistic kid from across the road, she goes over to ask about him. She’s a bit of a busybody with
Earicka
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It All Started At The Birthday Party...

This series must be read in order. This is the first book. I can't wait to read Amy Maxwell & The 7 Deadly Sins!

For Amy, being a stay-at-home mom to four kids (who don't listen) is getting to be a bit much. She only has one friend a and her husband doesn't help like ever. Hopefully he really did get that vasectomy and she won't end up being the overwhelmed (and probably insane) mother of five kids... It is Colt's birthday and she is trying desperately t
Sara
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review for Chick Lit Central (www.chicklitcentral.com)

Amy doesn’t mince words. While reading about her chaotic life in "The 8 Mistakes of Amy Maxwell," the one that revolves around four unruly children and one husband who she could easily count as another child in the house, you discover real honesty and depth where parenthood is concerned. You also discover that it's not easy trying to be everything to everyone, and it’s even harder when you feel there’s no one around to support you or to help
Jennifer Collin
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: featured-on-blog
The 8 Mistakes of Amy Maxwell was my first Heather Balog read and it won't be my last. Heather is a very funny woman, whose wit and sass resonates with me.

Amy Maxwell is an overworked stay at home mom being slowly suffocated by the chaos of raising four children with a barely-there (as in completely mentally checked-out) husband. When she's not cleaning up poo or spew, she's daydreaming about the hot neighbor across the street, and getting herself caught up in things she should stay the hell out
Christine Ardigo
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Laughed out loud at all the scenes. As a mom of 2 children, i related to all the crazy mommy scenes in this book. Page turner, fast paced read, and the author kept the action flowing. Great mystery and surprises also.
Diana Belchase
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A funny and poignant page turner. One of the best written books of the year.
Sec2000
Jan 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
blah didn't finish
B.R. Maycock
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
First off, thanks so much to the author for a copy of the book in return for an honest review. I really enjoyed this book, however I’ll start with the reason I found it tough, and wouldn’t recommend for anyone who hasn’t kids (for those who do, there will actually be a lot you can relate to). I was at a talk recently where the author said that there was a common idea that all books should be set on an atypical day, that is a day that repels the norm. I’d actually never heard that, though of cour ...more
Ashley
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap! When I originally requested this book from Netgalley I was going off the cover and it looked like a young adult book and it is far from it. This book was so good and I would totally read more by this author in the near future.

Amy Maxwell feels like a horrible mother and wife but she is also thrown into the middle of a DEA sting op. Amy is a typical mom of four kids and an inattentive husband. The story walks you through the 8 mistakes that she makes in the current week(s) of the book.
Pippa Franks
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading about Amy Maxwell's life. It goes from being mundane to crazy and you never quite know what situation she will find herself in next.

Amy Maxwell has four children and a less than helpful husband. I loved how she shocked me with her totally honest views on them all. Great fun! Amy suspects her teenage daughter is up to no good and decides to investigate further. This leads to adventures even she couldn't dream up. The plot had me hooked.

I am looking forward to reading more
Trudi Jorda
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This could have been a great read or even really good if only the author did not whine so much and make the mother of 4 make it look like a horrible pain in the butt and the husband beyond horrible. Yes kids can be draining and yes some spouses can do less than nothing which can also be a horrible thing. But the heroine is such a whiner that I had little to no patience for her and she made me totally unsympathetic. There are working moms out there. Some have four kids and they still manage to se ...more
Mark Balson
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, humor-comedy
Does quirky sound interesting. I love quirky stuff and the author has stitched together an irreverent tale with all the "quirk" you could ask for without resorting to fantasy. The premise and execution is soundly based in reality in the same way that the TV show "Modern Family is reality based. Real estate agents actually exist as I have met several. There are real rich geezers that marry voluptuous younger women. So there is a framework of reality that holds it together and then it explores the ...more
Peggy
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amy-maxwell
Amy Maxwell goes into dream states. This is characterized by italic writing. I wish I knew this at the beginning because it would have made the book a lot easier to read.
The story line, minus the day dreams, was very good. However, the day dreams were little melodramas that sometimes were so far off the story line it took a bit to get back to "reality".
Amber
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Did not expect to like this book as much as I did. My only complaints are the daydreaming....I skipped over those after the first few. And the husband. I just cannot believe any woman would stay with and could love such a useless waste of space. I hope in the next book, she figures that out. Would love to see Amy & Jason together!
Doris Pierce
Apr 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didnt

This book wasn't what fought it would be a really didn't care for the store of her life and how thing turn of ........,........................I don't have any thing more to say. Why do you have to write so much you can sums up a book in two or more words...............
Tina Marie
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh Amy Maxwell, how do you get yourself into these situations? If only Amy was an ordinary house wife... The adventures that Amy finds herself in are quite interesting. Guess there's never a dull moment when you are a busy body mother of 4. Great face paced book!!
Joyce Clatterbuck
Highly recommended. This book was hilarious.

This book was family oriented in the beginning and then turned into a mystery. Mother was hilarious and went through the every day drama as most families until she tried to befriend her neighbors and then the mystery begins.
T.L.
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is OK, but gets bogged down toward the middle and end.
The ending seems drawn out up to a point, then events end almost too neatly, after all the upset before.
Lindsey Aoun
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book.

As a mother I found so much of this book relatable. It makes the mundane chores of motherhood much easier to appreciate.
Linda Cole
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crazy silly

Only a mother would understand this book I enjoyed all of it because it reminded me how I felt with all four kids at home the drug mystery was just a plus
Vykki
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: interesting
This was a wonderful book it had a great story and great characters.
Christina
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, funny, suspenseful with accurate portrayal of motherhood. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The main character is how I would picture Stephanie Plum if she got married & had 4 kids.
Brenda
Jul 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF
Too silly. Kind of dumb main character. Stopped less than 20% in.
Victoria Newman
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Is a great book to read forever
Gayle
Apr 04, 2016
Charlene Thomas
Jun 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Lie Like a Woman (A Bree and Richard Matthews Mystery)
  • Shelled and Shucked - (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #3)
  • Wendy and the Lost Boys (Wendy Darlin Tomb Raider #1)
  • Lexy Baker: Books 1-4 (Lexy Baker #1-4)
  • Things To Shout Out Loud At Parties
  • An Election
  • Five Minutes Late
  • Paper Phoenix
  • Perfect Crime (The Davenport Mysteries, #3)
  • Double Shot (Cue Ball Mysteries, #2)
  • The Promise of a Family (Orphan Train Romance #2)
  • Special Offers  (Coursodon Dimension #1)
  • Lingering Shadows (The Shadows Trilogy #1)
  • One Hundred Dollar Misunderstanding
  • September Sky (American Journey, #1)
  • Private Air
  • Thursday Morning Breakfast (and Murder) Club
  • Pink Slips and Parting Gifts
Heather Balog is a self proclaimed "Bad Mommy" and the author of ten novels, including the Amy Maxwell Cozy Mystery Series. She also collaborates with her "Tween-age" daughter on the Lexie Maxwell Series for young readers. She blogs at "The Bad Mommy Diaries" which, according to her family, is mostly obnoxious exaggeration, but it's much cheaper than therapy. When Heather is not writing or complai ...more
More about Heather Balog...

Amy Maxwell (3 books)
  • Amy Maxwell & the 7 Deadly Sins
  • Amy Maxwell's 6th Sense (Amy Maxwell #3)
“It’s amazing how a conversation between two moms ends up sounding like a battle between people with Tourette’s.” 0 likes