Start by marking “A Time for Loving” as Want to Read:
A Time for Loving

A Time for Loving

Jack and Christopher have made it through years of campaigning and the horrors of Waterloo together--side by side by day and, by night, in each other's arms. After the war is over, however, will the love shared between this batman and his officer survive when Christopher returns to the life of a gentleman?
Published October 23rd 2014 by Nico Jaye

To ask other readers questions about A Time for Loving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time for Loving

Nico Jaye
Oct 01, 2014 marked it as wrote-it-o__o-gasp  ·  (Review from the author)
Now available at your favorite ebook retailer! *tosses glitter and rainbows* :)
Amazon | Smashwords | Kobo | B&N
Ingie
Written August 9, 2015

3.6 Stars - Tender sweet but unfortunately very short

A Time for Loving is a 26 pages historical M/M shorty (free on 'Smashword' in June). — Tender, touching and lovely. — Recommended for a day when you want just soft and easy things in your life (..as after-"that"-party-days).
‘Jack's movements picked up speed, and he locked gazes with Christopher. He loved these times—when the world slept and they could be as one. In these moments, there was no telling where he ended and C
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
A Time for Loving is a tender, historical fairy tale. Set during the Regency period in England, this short story focuses on an established couple, Christopher and Jack.

Christopher, who comes from a well-to-do family, is injured at Waterloo, and Jack, the "bastard son of a ballerina dancer," and Christopher's best friend and lover, never leaves his side.

Now that both men have left military life behind, Jack is Christopher's valet, as it's the only way the two men can be together.

There is a dre
Rosa, really
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it

Here's a favorite dream of mine:

Georgette Heyer, queen of the Regency romance, awakens one morning and decides that what her books really need are a little dude on dude action. Instead of writing a book about an Earl who falls in love with the governess who's the half-sister of a baronet, she writes a book about an Earl who thinks that governess's half-brother is totally haaawt.

Wouldn't that be awesome?

But Ms. Heyer has gone to that great London dance in the sky so it’s never going to happen. *m
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
A Delightful Bite-Sized Nugget of Smuff!

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I had a grin on my face much of the time and found myself wondering if there would be a follow-up shortly after finishing it. I sure hope so.

I’ve been on a historical kick lately but haven’t read anything that dated back to Waterloo until now. Ms. Jaye captured the essence of this time period in the details and those details made this story all the more gratifying for me as a reader.

A Time for Loving tells the tale of how C
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Lovely historical romance short from the smutty/sweet princess, Nico Jaye!

Historical romances are becoming my new thing, guys. I can't get enough of the forbidden romance element and the hot, old-timey dirty talking. This short hit a lot of my buttons and it did it in only 26 pages!

I loved the dynamic between Jack and Christopher, and the way that everything played out. Though some historical M/Ms can be really depressing and angsty, this was a pick-me-up kind of read. It also felt like a compl
Trisha Harrington
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Time for Loving is a wonderful, historical short story. Historicals aren't always my favorite because they can be too angsty for me. But this one was perfect for me. It had the right feel to it.

I loved the relationship between Jack and Christopher. They were so good together and the way everything played out left me completely satisfied.

Their time was now, forever and always, and they would spend the rest of their days living and loving that truth.
Lori
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: um-authored
I love, love, love this story. I haven't read a historical so well written in a long time. Nico Jaye always nails her characterisation, and this was no exception. The attention to detail is amazing and the relationship between the two mc's is perfect. I hate writing reviews on my kindle so I'll update this properly when I'm on the comp...just, if you're thinking about reading it I would totally recommend you go for it!
Ami
A Time For Loving is a historical short story, clocked in about 6000 words. Now, don't get me wrong, it was sweet, but I am afraid that the story was not as satisfying for me. I would blame the limitation of the length.

The core of this story, for me at least, seemed to be this long scene of seduction (and sexual scene). And I am one of those readers who cherish story outside the bedroom (or bed) more. So the whole time, I was wishing that I knew more about the life of Jack and Christopher BEF
Jilrene
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really sweet historical short story. I love that the HEA is plausible.
Elizabetta

This is a sweet little nugget of a story, only about twenty-five pages long, but packed with a world of loving.

Christopher and Jack are in their early twenties and have already seen and suffered from the horrors of war. Members of the same military unit, they became fast friends, and when Christopher suffered a serious injury that cost him his arm and almost his life, Jack was always there by his side.

Now, safely back at Christopher’s family estate they have managed to stay together. J
Heather C
A Time For Loving is a historical short story of two lovers who survived the tragedies of war.  After losing his hand, Christopher, the second son of a baron, returns home to recuperate.  When he awakens, he discovers that his lover Jack has not left his side.  In order to stay together without raising suspicions, Jack takes on the tasks of Christopher's valet.

This story was too short!  It's really more like a snippet of what could have been a longer, much better developed romance.  Like…if it w
Catherine
"'Tis times like these when I sorely miss having all of me with us," he said with a wry look at the place where his shirtsleeve was tailored around the end of his wrist.
"Whereas I am glad of every part of you who's with me," Jack murmured..."

So. Freakin'. Romantic.

A fan of Jaye's contemporary romances, I was happy to see that she gave herself license to go over-the-top, heart-melting, sigh-inducing, we-are-soulmates-born-in-the-the-fire-of-battle romantic in this one. I was all but drowning i
Lorraine Lesar
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Call me out if you want to...my duelling pistols are primed and ready...but this book was beautiful, just beautiful. It started with the simplicity of the cover, my wanting to read "The Scandalous Wager" and then the alluring/sexy/tender love story that was such a joy to read. 4* due purely to length.
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
What a cute little read. I love Nico you just can't go wrong.
Liza
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dbml, zz-2015, m-m
I received a free copy of this book via the GoodReads Don't buy My Love program in exchange for an honest review.

For the longest time, all I read were historical romances. Those torrid bodice-rippers that feature the muscle-bound hero embracing the well-endowed heroine. This story reminded me why I loved them so much. Nico Jaye is the Queen of Smuff! What is Smuff, you ask? Smut and fluff. Pure, unadulterated fun. And A Time for Loving is full of it!

In only 17 pages, you are given a sweet romanc
Louisa
Shelves: ebooks
I received this book free from the author in return for an honest review.

I started reading this EPub during a book hangover and I hoped that wasn’t going to color what I thought of it – not a problem. For a very short story (17 pages), it was fabulous. I’ve never tried a M/M historical romance before and it worked for me.

Jack Swann goes from Sergeant in the Army during waterloo to his CO’s valet, Lieutenant Christopher Brookfield, when he is injured and loses his hand. They have a steamy relatio
Marie
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I've been a fan of Nico Jaye's writing for a while, and I was excited for the chance to read this historical romance. "A Time for Loving" is a beautiful story of love between two men during a time period when societal constraints made it incredibly difficult for them to be happy. Jack and Christopher met each other while serving in the military, and they fell in love. After the war, they worked hard to stay tog
mah1
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dbml
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A Time For Loving was short and very sweet, but the latter part was balanced by the slight sadness that comes along when reading historical m/m that is not AU.

The author didn't give us the beginning of a relationship, rather the pivotal point where they were in love and established yes, but struggling with the practical difficulties that such an illicit affair brings about.

There probably are readers who would've wanted a lo
AnnaLund
For my honest and true view of this book, please read …MORE

Goodreads TOS-compliant review (I think, let me know when they tell us what the rules are):

"The book I just read is about two (or three) lovely people, written in beautiful language, by a very good and prolific author. I liked it very, very much.
It is for sale on Amazon.”

DISCLAIMER: My reviews now all have this pretty face, so that all and everyone on Goodreads can stay happy and beatific. I’ll let you know if I change my mind. See the
Tess
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical-mm
I'm a sucker for anything regency, so I was very excited to read this one. It's the very short story of an officer who lost an arm at Waterloo and his former batman/current valet and how they get their HEA. They are established lovers when this story begins and the one thing I would have wished for is to have also seen them when they first became lovers. Nonetheless it's always nice to see an n/m couple in that time get their HEA.
Ashley E
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
The author describes this book as "smuff", and that sums it up very well for me. It's a sweet, short, and just a little bit sexy piece of historical romance with a slightly deus-ex-machina ending. It made me smile.
Kristy
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful cover, beautiful story. REVIEW, along with tour coming soon!
*Nan*
Sakuko
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very sweet book, the language seemed appropriate (I'm really not an expert though), the historical setting seemed sound, but sadly too short to leave much impression. I did not get enough interaction of the couple, to get invested and the main problem was introduced and then solved right on the next page. I think the book was just trying to do too much. A happy end in 15 pages will always lack impact.
C
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Maverickgirl31
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical-mm, dbml
A free copy of this book was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Reading this book was like eating a really delicious morsel. It had all the elements I love...British gentlemen, soldiers, and servants. Because of the tight story line, you had to catch a lot of subtleties happening in the story. Needless to say, I wish it had been longer!
In the brief moments that we see the MCs interact, it is easy to see both the sexual chemistry that flows between them. The story is told from the perspect
blub
Reflection
A Time For Loving is a sweet, short historical read where the love shared by the two main characters oozes out of the pages.

Because of the brevity of the story there is little time for angst, just fleeting recollections and momentary hurt at the treatment Jack receives at the hands of his 'employers' who do not see beyond his station to the significance he holds for his lover Christopher.

The story is beautiful and would have the potential to be expanded, there is so much I would like to know abo
Meg
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was given to me free in exchange for an honest review.

This is a sweet little story. Being such a short story I really didn't think I would get anything much more than a quick sex scene. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't feel like the story was rushed at all.

I didn't know if the uncle would be bad or good, and that was a nice little uh oh moment.

A well written short I enjoyed.
Nico Jaye is a fan of all things HEA and has dragged her romance collection along for her moves from San Francisco to Los Angeles to Chicago to New York and back. She thinks reading is awesome and loves that she can hang out night after night with crinoline-wearing debutantes, brawny firemen in suspenders, and werewolf shifters with Scottish brogues. An overall feline enthusiast, Nico secretly (or ...more