Start by marking “The Ghost of Tillie Jean Cassaway” as Want to Read:
The Ghost of Tillie Jean Cassaway

The Ghost of Tillie Jean Cassaway

People said the ghost of a drowned girl roamed the hills. Was this the wild-looking child 11-year-old Hilary and her brother Willy glimpsed in the woods? If not, who could she be? The Ghost of Tillie Jean Cassaway is a suspense-filled story where truth is hidden around the bend, in the morning mist or over the mountain.

Winner of the South Carolina Children's Book Award.

Published October 1st 2000 by Backinprint.com (first published August 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost of Tillie Jean Cassaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost of Tillie Jean Cassaway

Kelly Winter
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
By far the scariest f-ing book I've ever read. I was probably 10 when I found a hard cover copy of this book near the Nancy Drews in my elementary school library.

I think its magic comes from the author's refusal to pander to kids. She uses normal, fairly grown-up vocabulary to pain a disturbingly vivid, believable ghost story.
Valerie Haynes
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“In the hill country, there is always mystery. Things are hidden around the bend or in the dark of the woods or over the mountain. If there were such a thing as ghosts, they would be in the old, old mountains of Appalachia.”
So begins The Ghost of Tillie Jean Cassaway, both a ghost story and an adventure into the back hills of North Carolina. I was pleasantly surprised in re-reading the book, after originally reading it the 1990s—the story is as fresh and compelling as it was then—because it is
Zoe Spumoni
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh! I can't believe this book is out here. I read this in the third grade and adored it. After my parents had no luck in their search to get me a copy, I decided to take over the search. I traded the book with my teacher for my set of encyclopedias. I definitely got a great deal!

This isn't your typical obnoxious babysitters club or sweet valley high book. It is way better. TGOTJC will appeal to all ages. Go find it and you won't regret reading it!
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I remember reading this in 6th grade and it scared the pants off me. I wonder what it would be like to read now.
Shelby