Start by marking “True Calling (True Calling, #1)” as Want to Read:
True Calling (True Calling, #1)

Read Book

True Calling (True Calling #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  1,142 Ratings  ·  243 Reviews
Welcome to Novo: Your new home in Space

For Ariana Skyee, Planet Novo was everything it promised to be until the authorities introduced "The Calling" as their response to repopulation. Now, all seventeen-year-olds are to participate in this Bachelor-style pageant to find their perfect match, marry, and have children.

But that’s not Ariana’s only concern. Thanks to the govern
Published October 2014 by Siobhan Davis (first published July 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about True Calling, please sign up.

Siobhan Davis Hi Lola,
Hi Lola,
Great question! The nostalgia elixir was administered to all new residents of Novo upon arrival on the planet (the Vita chip was implanted at the same time). It's sole purpose was to remove memories of those left behind on Earth, to help make the transition from Earth to Novo easier. As described in the book, 'Every unique elixir contained identifiers and transmitters that wiped programmed memories..'
It didn't erase all memories of Earth, just memories of those individuals who weren't selected to move to the new world.
Let's say for example, that when Ariana lived on Earth she went to the movies with 4 friends. Only 2 of those friends subsequently moved to Novo. Ariana will still remember the trip to the movies, but in her memory she went with 2 friends, not 4.
The new government want Novo residents to remember Earth, as it's an inherent part of being 'human'. Also, they deliberately constructed Novo to replicate aspects of Earth, to help people feel more 'at home'. It wouldn't have made sense if they erased everyone's total memories of Earth, hence why they adopted the approach they did.
I hoped I've explained it adequately but if you're still unclear let me know!
Siobhan.(less)
Siobhan Davis Hi Jennifer,

Beyond Reach, which is book two in the series will be released on April 30th 2015! You can add it to your shelf by clicking here:

…more
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks,
Siobhan.(less)

Etnik

4 TRUE STARS!

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

description

When I first saw this book I was fascinated by the cover.What a great cover.I never like covers with faces in them,but this one is perfection.It describes the plot,it fits the book.So great job with the cover!

description

True Calling is a sci-fi dytopian fantasy novel filled with everything.It is a true page turner.I have read this book in 2 days and I can't wait for the sequel.After finishing I was so glad I read this book,and

Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・ |spoilers af|
| Digital copy kindly provided by the author, Siobhan Davis, in a exchange for a honest review. Thanks a lot, Siobhan! |

description

The story was interesting but the characters didn't make it for me.
The thing is I often don't mind indecisive characters or childish ones if I like them enough. Ariana, however, I didn't like her that much.

I get that she doesn't want them to take away her posibilities, really, but there are better ways to fight for them. In my head there were all these scenarios where things co
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Siobhan Davis.)

“We could run away,” I propose whimsically.
“Run to where?” He arches an eyebrow and his look suggests I’ve just joined the crazy gang.
“Find a way of getting back to Earth.” The wistful look is back on my face.
“If I thought there was a way of making that happen, then I would’ve been out of here a long time ago.”

This was an okay story, but it wasn’t really what I was expecting.

I di
Megan
[Disclaimer: I received a free copy of the ebook edition of this from NetGalley.]

This review will probably come across more harsh than I intend, but in the spirit of being honest I'm going to say exactly what I think.

True Calling is a direct mash-up of The Hunger Games, The Selection, Matched, and Divergent, and I feel like there are some elements from The Chemical Garden series in there as well. It was, and I realize I'm being blunt here, wholly unoriginal. Civilization on Earth is collapsing,
Lola
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

I have to admit the main reason I decided I had to read this book was the cover, it's so pretty and I just knew I had to read it as soon as I saw that cover. I had some difficulties getting into this book at first. I had some trouble getting used to the author's writing style, it's a lot of telling instead of showing and it feels a bit distant. Also at first there's a lot of explanation, like the main character is telling the readers about her wo
Dianne

Treat yourself to some great reading! WIN 1 of 3 eCopies!
Click on the Banner to Enter - Ends November 10, 2014
International

In a word, WOW!! Talk about a fascinating and magnetic tale! True Calling by Siobhan Davis is more than sci-fi, more than post-apocalyptic, more than YA romance! If this is what Siobhan Davis is bringing to the reading table as her debut, she is definitely an author to follow.

Picture Earth being all used up, tired and worn from abuse, now picture specially chosen people to
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

I received an ecopy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

MY THOUGHTS
What really drew me into this book was, yes, I admit it, the cover. I have an attraction to covers featuring space, and while this book was not exactly what I was expecting, I was not disappointed!

This book takes place on Planet Novo, which is a man-made planet in the atmosphere of Earth to protect people from the dangers currently going on Earth.
Ana
Sep 07, 2014 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The story revolves around Ariana Skyee. A 17 year old new resident of the planet Novo. They have been relocated due to disruption on Earth. They are inserted with a metal disk called Vito to monitor their health, location and just about anything there is to know about their life. Now there are a lot of comparisons being made from other dystopian books. I get that, because after the first three chapters I was thinking, "It's Hunger Games without the hunger and ugly buildings."

I love Siobhan Davis
Karleigh.Reads
I was given this book for free for a read and review.
I really enjoyed the concept of this book and found it quite interesting that they used such high technology to erase memories of people that the families left on earth. I really connected with the main character and I love how love has a way of breaking down barriers even when the memories have been erased - Ari still remembered Zane.

One thing that bothered me about the book is that Ari hated Cal for the first what 5 chapters in the book and
Ashley Anne
Sep 17, 2014 Ashley Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
View all of my reviews on The Caffeinated Booknerd

Thank you to Kym @ Superbookgrl13 for the giveaway for this book
and to Siobhan Davis for providing the copy !

True Calling is a dystopian-sci-fi-romance that is FABULOUS ! Siobhan did not fail to impress me with this debut novel. It was action packed, swoon-worthy (but not too much!) and I couldn't stop turning page after page.

|| What I loved ||

I immediately connected with the main character Ariana. She is the one to stay out of the spotlight, l
Christina
Sep 03, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received True Calling from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Earth is becoming less and less viable. A new planet will be inhabited. Those selected to inhabit the new planet are chosen form the remaining people on earth that are under 45 and they have been stripped of their memories. Ariana Skye is a teenager who was selected and forced to leave earth and start a new life on the new planet called Novo. Novo was made to seem like earth so that the people would adjust to their new envir
Zed Whisper
Aug 20, 2014 Zed Whisper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about True Calling. I definitely enjoyed reading it, but I was constantly reminded of similar books. The 'calling' had elements of the selection by Kiera cass and hunger games, in that it was like a reality TV show, the audience were watching and voting, Cal and Ari were pulled apart and because of the people of Novo's outrage, they were allowed to be back together again, etc. Although Cal and Ari love each other, they needed to prove this to the world and show the world ho ...more
Siobhan Davis
Oct 07, 2014 Siobhan Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
THE ENTIRE SERIES IS NOW FREE TO READ IN KINDLE UNLIMITED.

READERS FAVORITE REVIEWS
Read some excerpts from the five 5 Star Reviews True Calling has garnered from ReadersFavorite.com

“True Calling is a perfect blend of reality-TV-show meets super high-tech sci-fi meets teenage drama meets government conspiracies. The story comes alive through Siobhan Davis’ incredible writing skill, the setting and scenarios are clearly vivid throughout the novel.” – Five Stars. Faridah Nassozi @ Readers Favorite.

Christian
Sep 01, 2014 Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!From the minute I started reading this book, I was hooked. I couldn't put this book down until I was through with it! The author did such a great job world building as well as making the characters relatable & likeable.

I fell in love with Cal right-of-the-bat but quickly became leery of his intentions as the book progressed. I still don't know everyone's true motives or intentions but I'm completely intrigued! I can't wait for book 2 to see more of Zane & Aria interact.
Abbie
Feb 20, 2015 Abbie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from the author, In exchange for an honest review.)

Ariana was an okay character, and most of the time I liked her. I could understand why she didn't want to partake in the calling - Having your life choices taken away from you, by being forced to marry someone and having to have at least three kids by them by the time you're twenty-two, Isn't a fun thought.

This book reminded me of a few others, but I found it to be an alright read at first. As the book progressed though, I di
Michelle Burgard
Jun 29, 2015 Michelle Burgard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Debut

This was a great read for being a debut novel by this author. I did feel very in touch with the characters and the ending left me hurt, mad and wanting more.
Lillian
I received a copy of this book from the author as a part of a blog tour in exchange for review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of this review.

True Calling
by Siobhan Davis is book one in a new Sci-Fi dystopian world. Ariana Skyee is seventeen, training to be a soldier (by her choice), in her new world Novo. Two years ago, her and her family were evacuated to the planet when Earth became uninhabitable. The new government erased everyone's memories of those left behind
Tayla Robichaud
Wow wow wow.

All around review:
I was definitely enjoying this book and I couldn't put it down. The pace of this book seemed to be weird. It seemed like all the important parts were explained really fast and then the kissing scenes were really slow. Did not seem like the priorities were right.

My buddy reading partner said:
(view spoiler)
Sinead
Jul 25, 2014 Sinead rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review
True Calling is a must read for any reader interested in a fast paced, intriguing Young Adult Book.
As sister-in-law to the author I was lucky enough to read a copy of the book in advance, and as an avid reader of all types of books and a big fan of Young Adult fiction I loved this book and would highly recommend it. I think it is easily on a par with other books I have read in this genre.
True Calling is set in the near-future and we accompany Ariana on her journey in her new world on Novo.
Elisa
Mar 05, 2015 Elisa rated it it was amazing
I swear that I dindn't read it in so long time because I didn't appreciated it but because I'm terrible slow!

This is one of those books that before I start to read it I need a really good... "go, read!" and, thanks God, I received it. I won the give away in http://geekybookie.tumblr.com/ and you can't imagine how happy I was about it.

Usually I don't appreciate dystopian books, but this one is so.. aww!!!
During all the plot there was a little voice in my head that exuted for a certain character w
Teresa Hanley
Jul 24, 2014 Teresa Hanley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you liked The Hunger Games and Divergent then you will love True Calling. YA fiction has a wonderful new voice in Siobhan Davis.
True Calling is set in the future and moves between two worlds - Earth and Planet Novo. Much of Earth is uninhabitable following varying disasters and Novo is inhabited by a select number of people carefully chosen from Earth-all under the age of 45, who have been stripped of most of their memories.
We are introduced first to 17 year old Ariana who is forced to take p
Michelle (Adventure in Bookland)
True Calling, is a dystopian novel based on a Planet named Novo and the Planet is a lot like Earth, but has more advanced in technology. The residents of Novo are former residents of Earth, which have been screen to make sure they are in perfect health. The down fall right now for the people of Novo is that the population is not interesting. In order to solve this problem the government has come up with The Calling. The Calling is a pageant where people are matched up to make the ideal offspring ...more
Paula Berinstein
I love stories in which you can't tell whom to trust, and this one presents a number of dubious characters for the reader to ponder. But one thing Siobhan Davis does that many authors don't is pile twist upon twist, so that even when you think you've got everyone sorted out, you find that you don't. That is great storytelling.

I am also discovering that I love romance as long as it's in the context of something larger, and that's exactly what happens in this book. (Although I think I'm just abou
Kim
When I first read what it was about, and the cover, I was kinda leery, I was expecting a low budget B flick type book, for some reason I was intimidated and wasn't really sure if I wanted to request this book or not, but I'm determined to be open minded when it comes to this reviewing business, so I requested and was granted. I am so glad I did.

One of the things in this book I wasn't all together thrilled with, was the love triangle. The Zane of her dreams, and Cal. I was team Cal the entire boo
Mallory Ann
Oct 31, 2014 Mallory Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I received an ebook from the author after winning it on a blog giveaway.

WOW!!! That's the first word that comes to mind after reading this book. Everything about it, from the cover to the synopsis said "read me". I was hooked on this book from the very start. I found it really hard to put down cause i just wanted to start the next chapter to find out what happened next.

After destruction on earth, 17 year old Ariana Skyee and her family head to planet Novo to restart their life. Not everyone on e
Emma Cox
Sep 30, 2014 Emma Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly I want to start by saying that the characters in this book are some of the most interesting I have read about. Ariana is your typical 17 year old girl to begin with, getting on at school and with her friends but the growth in her character is what had me hooked on this book from the get go. Ariana is strong and sassy but also clever and caring, I found her easy to relate to and enjoyed her plot lines. Cal who is Ariana's love interest is a strong male lead character also. I loved his pro ...more
Chloe
Aug 13, 2014 Chloe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
True Calling – Siobhan Davis

True Calling is the debut novel from Irish author Siobhan Davis. The novel is set on Planet Novo, a planet created in the likeness of earth but far more technologically advanced. The people who live on Novo have been screened extensively to ensure that the new planet earth prospers. The only drawback to being chosen for this new planet is the fact that the government erased certain memories from the minds of the people.

For Ariana, this is the most confusing part of he
Marie-Eve Castonguay
ARC provided by author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
The first word that comes to my mind after finishing reading True Calling is Amazing. This book is simply amazing. Every single page of this book was action packed and fast paced. It was a quick and easy read, which was exactly what i needed.

I really enjoyed the world building and the setting of this book. The technology that they used got me suprised and the story development was awseome. All through the book, you never knew
Deirdre
Jul 25, 2014 Deirdre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have enjoyed trilogies like “The Hunger Games”, “Matched” and “Birthmarked” and are wondering where to turn to next – your search is over! Look no further than “True Calling,” the first book in what promises to be a gripping series.

“True Calling” tells the story of Ariana as she struggles to adjust to life on Novo, a planet where some of Earth’s citizens have taken refuge. As the story progresses, the fabric of Novo society is stretched enough for Ariana to see the problems beneath the s
JMMurphy
Jul 30, 2014 JMMurphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True Calling is the story of Ariana and her experiences in a new (supposedly utopian) world she is forced to call home. In order to help the inhabitants settle in to their new life, all of the memories from their previous life have been wiped. This does not stop Ariana having some flashes of a boy from her past. Who is he and what do they mean to each other? While figuring it out she's got plenty of options for romance in her new life! Not to mention trying to keep herself and her family going w ...more
  • Lifer
  • Blood Crown
  • Purenet (The Sanction #1)
  • Her Perfect Game (Hot & Nerdy, #2)
  • The Weight of Guilt
  • Frequent Flyers
  • Iron Pendulum (Periodic, #2)
  • The Path (Tag #1)
  • Georgetown Academy: Book Four
  • The Portal and the Panther (Guardians of the Portal, #1)
  • The Journals of Kara and Jason
  • Withering Rose (Once Upon a Curse, #2)
  • Unrequited
  • Elevated (Elevated Saga, #1)
  • Divinity
  • Only A Kiss
  • Poison Tree (Reflection Pond, #2)
  • How to Get Ainsley Bishop to Fall in Love with You
Subscribe to the Kennedy Boys newsletter to read an exclusive, advance sample of Losing Kyler and to read bonus scenes in Ky's perspective. http://eepurl.com/cpxkFP

Siobhan Davis writes emotionally intense young adult and new adult fiction with swoon-worthy romance, complex characters, and tons of unexpected plot twists and turns that will have you flipping the pages beyond bedtime! She is the auth
More about Siobhan Davis...

True Calling (4 books)
  • Beyond Reach (True Calling #2)
  • Destiny Rising (True Calling #3)
  • The Short Story Collection (True Calling #4)

“I would cry if I could, but instead I just feel my heart rip apart.” 11 likes
“Are you in any pain? (Ariana Skyee)
Only my heart. (Cal Remus)”
8 likes