Start by marking “Beneath the Canyons (Daughter of the Wildings, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Beneath the Canyons (Daughter of the Wildings, Book 1)

Beneath the Canyons

(Daughter of the Wildings #1)

The new gunslinger in town. The rancher's daughter. They share the same dangerous secret - magic.

Silas Vendine is a mage and a bounty hunter, on the hunt for renegade mages in the sparsely-settled Wildings. When he rides into the town of Bitterbush Springs on the trail of strange, dark magic, he lands in the middle of a deadly feud - and discovers that a local rancher's da
Published November 3rd 2014 by Kyra Halland (first published November 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Beneath the Canyons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath the Canyons

Start your review of Beneath the Canyons (Daughter of the Wildings, Book 1)
Pauline Ross
What could possibly improve a good old-fashioned western? Why, a little magic, that's what. Yes, folks, what we have here is a western/fantasy mash-up, complete with horses tied up outside the saloon, gambling and whoring inside, and gunfights in the street, but some of the people wearing the big hats are mages, and the mining going on in the hills is digging up something a lot more powerful than gold. And is it fun? You betcha.

Silas is a mage visiting the Wildings from neighbouring Granadaia, a
Beth
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, anthology
I read this as part of the Noblebright kindle box set

Not bad, some interesting twists.... honestly expected her to be handed off to the Shaman.
Robynn
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book after reading a post about the noblebright genre at The New Authors' Fellowship. The price was right, so I downloaded the Kindle version. I read it in one evening. This reads like a first book, although I haven't researched if that's true. All the bones of good writing are there, as well as some meat: varied characters, a vivid, detailed world, and good pacing that carries tension all the way to the end. I've recently rediscovered Westerns, so the Wild West overtones were enjoy ...more
Pamela Cummins
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last year, I purchased eBooks 1-3 of this series through Smashwords during their annual sale and enjoyed this unique series so much that I bought the rest of the series at full price. I loved this series! Kyra Hallands is such a gifted writer; therefore, I bought every eBook she wrote during last month’s Smashwords sale. I am reading and loving Kyra Hallands books!
J.R.
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, indie
This book had me from page one. It has fantasy, mystery, and western with a great romance plot throughout. The intrigue kept me turning the page, and the well-developed characters made me care about what would happen next.

The plot was evenly paced, and it pulls you along to the end where you will immediately need to buy book two. There are western shootouts and farm hands looking out for their boss’s daughter. There were other magical races with an interest in one of the main characters. And the
Maron Anrow
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, indie, kindle-koll
Beneath the Canyons is a Wild West romance with a touch of fantasy-style magic. It begins with Silas, a magic-wielding bounty hunter who visits a western-style town in search of a lawless wizard. He quickly grows attracted to Lainie, a rancher's daughter with secret magical ability.

The frontier setting was vivid (although magic was an important part of the plot, the story felt more like a western), and this was due in large part to the dialogue. The dialogue matched my image of the Wild West--wh
Sharon Stevenson
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
'Beneath the Canyons' is the first book in a series that mixes a wild west setting with a fantasy storyline. Lainie is a young woman who has inherited powers that she must keep hidden to stay safe from those who would do her harm.

It took me a while to get into this story, mainly because it took a bit of time to get used to the unusual world that was being set up. It was around the halfway mark that I was pulled right into the story and couldn't stop reading. It's a different and interesting rea
Christina
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It could just about be your standard western plot: ranchers versus miners, saloon brawls, a feisty cowgirl, a mysterious stranger who comes to town. Sprinkle a little magic over it, and you've got something completely different, and maybe even more fun. Silas Vendine is a mage bounty hunter, on the trail of a powerful renegade wizard. Lainie Banfrey is a rancher's daughter who's discovered her own magical talents, and the need to hide them before they get her in trouble. What follows is a rip-ro ...more
Ria Bridges
Westerns are really hit-or-miss for me. I don’t have a spectacular amount of interest in them as a genre or subgenre, though I do admit that the setting can hold some appeal for certain types of stories. I wouldn’t say that Beneath the Canyons is a story that can only be told with a wild west setting, since it has many elements that appear in dozens of other stories, but it wasn’t incongruous. It fit, it wasn’t jarring, and I can’t say that I minded it in this case. The story overrode the settin ...more
Treena Beavers
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crew-22-arcs
I loved this !
Cowboys, bounty hunters and a young woman stuggling to hide her strange magical powers.

Bitterbush Springs is an old western styled town that hates magic and will happily kill all witches and wizards. Not the safest place for a young lady, who's just discovered she has powers. The best thing to do would be to hide them.
But when Lanie uses her powers to prevent getting hit by a hail of bullets her whole life changes. This is a brilliant story, I'm definitely going to be checking ou
BarbaraAnn
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The location is a fantasy world, but the situation is out of the old west - miners and ranchers are feuding about resources. Silas, a bounty hunter and Lainie, a young rancher's daughter with magical abilities, were well-fleshed out and interesting both together and separately. The world-building was done well and I'm looking forward to further books in the series. My only complaint is that the book was too short - the ending wasn't a cliff-hanger, but there's a numbe ...more
Melissa (missy)
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great start to a awesome western fantasy epic. It's got a little bit of everything for western, fantasy and romance lovers alike. The author has developed a complex and intriguing world that draws you in and keeps you guessing. I grew up watching westerns with my mom and grandpa and this made me think of them so Thanks :)
Myst
Hmmm, historical isn't usally my cup of tea but the story was interesting. Lots of action scenes just wish there was more about the setting, maybe be extended in the next book?

This is a free review, thoughts are my own.
Kendra Morgan
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kendra by: bookreview 22
Shelves: reviewed
I really enjoyed this book. It's an engrossing mix of wild west and magic, with a little romance mixed in.

The plot and character development were very well done and the pace is fast enough to keep you engaged through out the entire book. Can't wait to read more from Kyra Holland.
Ryan
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highly-recommend
8.5 out of 10, will definitely Lainie and Silas again.

Wonderful twist on a typical western. Loved all of the lore scattered through the book and great flow to the writing.
Manalye
May 19, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beneath the Canyons by Kyra Halland rates about a 2/5 for me. It wasn’t terrible, but it was pretty close. I think I can break down my concerns into two categories: the writing and the love story.

There was something about the writing that just drags. I found myself skipping a lot of the scenes, and after some time I realized it was because things were being over-explained. Part of it may be that the story is split point-of-view between the two main characters; when something happened in the pl
D
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
 I love this story. It was fascinating to read a fantasy that had a western setting, and I loved that there was a nice pace to the story. As the story moved along, I felt that the author did a wonderful job of keeping the readers' interest. I will admit that I wanted more romance, and once the characters had their first interaction with the A'ayimat, I wanted to know more about them. In the future, I would love to see the author develop a story centered around an A'ayimat male or female who fall ...more
Amanda Meggs
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christina Morley
This is an exciting romantic fantasy set in an alternate Wild West. It takes me back to my teen years reading Louis L'amour, but even better with the addition of magic and more romance. The characters are well-described and the chemistry is just perfect for the older hero and younger heroine. This is the first book in a series and does have a satisfying conclusion, but it isn't the end. I can't wait to find out what happens next!
BrokenMnemonic
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
On the one hand, the setting for this was something I really liked the sound of - sort of a wild west/fantasy cross, with magic. On the other, it felt like there was a fairly large power imbalance between the two protagonists, which made the romance less appealing for me, and I could really have done without the repeated rape threats thrown out by the villain and his henchmen to control the female lead.
Nils Odlund
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable discovery

I've not read any "weird west" style fantasy before, and I don't picture myself a romance reader. That said I rather quite enjoyed this.
The story is well written and well paced, and it paints a believable picture of the world it takes place in.
The romance aspect is important to the story, but it's not an overbearing part of it. The
I won't stay up and start the next part right away (it's past 2am), but it's definitely on my radar.
Norman
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice to see how Silas got a wife after having read another book . Very good reading with enough action and suspense to Keep you reading until the end. I hope I have not spoiled the reading for others by mentioning that they did get married but since the other books already them married it would make no difference.
Eric Troup
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Western and magic are the Reese’s peanut butter cup of media, as far as I’m concerned, so I was predisposed to liking this book. It’s not without it’s minor flaws, but I did enjoy the experience of reading the book, and look forward to reading the next book in the series.
M.M.
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Romantic fantasy in a fresh setting.

Lovely writing and a charming love story, this was an enchanting break from typical medieval style fantasy. Looking forward to reading more stories in this series.
Catherine Vickers
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable cowboy, fantasy tale. It weaves within it a romance, which I don't normally like but this one is done well. It's necessary for the tale to unravel. We have ourselves a selfish baddy, miners v cowboys in the local town and magic in the air. An easy read and written and edited perfectly.
Mike Brannick
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a new one for me. A western fantasy.A gunslinging mage. Ms. Halland made it a memorable first. I immediately empathized with her characters and was drawn into the story. It's both a good western, and a good fantasy. If you like both genres you'll love this book.
Dana Redding
Jan 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Beneath the Canyons

First I am going to say I don’t read books with “ magic, or magically fantasy books “ if I had knowledge it was this type of book I would never have downloaded it
William Howe
Not bad

Just not my thing. Verges on YA western with a little magic around the edges. Doesn't move very fast, moseys along.

Rinelle Grey
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
An awesome western fantasy with lots of twists and turns, and a cute, slow burn romance. Can’t wait to read the rest of the series.
Susan McCoury
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting blend of fantasy and western romance

I enjoy books that tell a different kind of story than most big commercial novels can deliver. This tale has a likeable heroine and hero, good world-building, and an interesting magic system, and left me looking forward to finding out how the couple solve their dilemma in future installments.
Indie Authors Mon...: Fantasy-western 99 cents through Nov. 9 3 3 Nov 06, 2014 08:02AM

• The Last Priestess (The Songmaker, #1)
  • Innocence Lost (For Queen and Country, #1)
  • Stargazy Pie
  • The Dragon's Champion (The Dragon's Champion, #1)
  • Sword & Magic: Eight Fantasy Novels
  • The Handsomest Man in the Country (The Traherns #1)
  • Thunder Mountain
  • Float: Enchanted Horse Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale #19)
  • Book of Never: Volumes 1-3 (Book of Never, #1-3)
  • Rhody Jones
  • Tougher Than The Rest (MacLarens of Fire Mountain, #1)
  • Cowboys of Chance Creek Vol 0.5-2 (The Cowboys of Chance Creek #0.5-2)
  • An Outlaw's Vengeance (Ghosts of Our Pasts #1)
  • Lunar Discovery: Let the Space Race Begin (Discovery Series Book 1)
  • Mose Cabot
  • Redemption's Edge (Redemption Mountain, #1)
  • Ride Tall, Hang High (Outlaws #1)
  • Evolution Commandos:  Well of Furies
Kyra Halland has always loved fantasy. She has also always loved a good love story. She combines those two loves by writing the kinds of romantic fantasy novels she loves to read, tales of magical worlds where complicated, honorable heroes and strong, smart, feminine heroines work together to save their world - or their own small corner of it - and each other.

Kyra Halland lives in southern Arizona

Daughter of the Wildings (6 books)
  • Bad Hunting (Daughter of the Wildings #2)
  • The Rancher's Daughter (Daughter of the Wildings #3)
  • To the Gap (Daughter of the Wildings #4)
  • City of Mages (Daughter of the Wildings #5)
  • For the Wildings (Daughter of the Wildings #6)