Start by marking “Jetzt spricht Dylan Mint und Mr Dog hält die Klappe” as Want to Read:
Jetzt spricht Dylan Mint und Mr Dog hält die Klappe

Jetzt spricht Dylan Mint und Mr Dog hält die Klappe

Das Leben ist echt nicht fair. Schon gar nicht, wenn man wie Dylan Mint an Tourette leidet und nur noch sechs Monate zu leben hat. Und das mit sechzehn! Mr Dog nennt er seine Krankheit, und
dieser bellende, fluchende Hund lässt sich nicht kontrollieren. Das ist aber noch nicht alles: Sein bester Kumpel Amir ist Pakistani und hat Asperger.
Sobald jemand Amir »stinkendes Curry
Published September 2014 by Arche Verlag (first published February 2nd 2012)

Start your review of Jetzt spricht Dylan Mint und Mr Dog hält die Klappe
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

A month or so ago an article appeared that said: “Read whatever you want. But you should feel embarrassed when what you’re reading was written for children.” Upon reading those words, something happened inside of me . . .

Angry Panda got angry . . .

really fucking angry.

The author of the article then proceeded to namedrop several “classics” that grown-ups should read rather than YA, which proved to me that she’s 100% pure
Lisa
It is a bit too close to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time to be granted originality. But for students who like the genre and enjoyed the Curious Incident as a class novel, it makes for a perfect match on an extended reading list.

Teenagers will love the profanity, the dysfunctional family, the modern take on disabilities, the stance against racism, the sex and the cheesy ending.

As a grown-up, though, I would put my teacher or parent hat on before starting - it is rather flat and
Stepheny
It was Kelly’s review that made me want to pick up this book. I agree wholeheartedly with her sentiment. Readers should read what they want when they want! Break free of the chains that bind you and pick up the book that your heart is calling for.

When I first started When Mr. Dog Bites I fell in love with Dylan. He’s unique. He’s different. He has his own words. A-mayonnaise-ing. He left me feeling confused dot com. But once I got the flow of his writing I was completely enveloped in his
Petra
When Mr. Dog Bites is a young adult story about 16-year-old Dylan who has Tourette's Syndrome. He refers to his uncontrolled outbursts, the pressure that builds up in him when he is stressed, as Mr. Dog because they resemble a snarling, barking monster.
Following a doctor's appointment he attended with his Mum, who is pretty much a single parent while his Dad is apparently away with the army, Dylan believes that he only has months left to live, so he comes up with a bucket list, "Cool Things To
Annette (booknerderie)
What happens when you get a teenage narrator who has Tourette's, a great personality and goes to a school for kids with special needs? The correct answer is this freaking hilarious book called When Mr. Dog Bites!

Brian Conaghan did a PHENOMENAL job of integrating hilarity, hope, heart ache and kindness into this novel. I'm finding it hard to put into words what I want to say so I'll just say this: Dylan Mint {our MC} is literal, has the most hilarious outbursts {which in real life I wouldn't
Stephanie Forster
When Mr Dog Bites is a rather difficult book for me to review. I should start by saying that I didn't know all that much about this book before I started reading - I only read the blurb, and I haven't read anything by this author before. From that alone, I was excited to get started. I loved the sound of this contemporary YA read.

I love reading about real life issues, so reading about a teenager growing up with Tourette's was definitely something that appealed to me and I was interested in how
Chelsey
Oct 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, neuro-atypical
Had high hopes for this book, but the overwhelming homophobia and misogyny was just too much. There was no reason for it, at all. Of course, you can have good books about homophobic/misogynistic characters that are still good, but this is not one of them.
I wanted to read When Mr. Dog Bites from the moment I heard about it, I couldn't wait to read about a main character who suffered with Tourette's syndrome because it's a condition I know so very little about. I absolutely loved getting inside Dylan's head and seeing first hand what it is like to live with Tourette's.

Dylan is a great character and in most ways he is just a normal sixteen year old teen, he likes hanging out with his best mate Amir and he can't wait to get a girlfriend and have sex
Becca
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Ok wow. I won this book in a giveaway (thanks!) so didnt really know that much about it apart from the synopsis.
So it's basically from the point of view of Dylan Mint who is a 16 year old who has tourettes, this means he has to go to a special needs school which is where we meet many other secondary characters such as Amir - his best friend - and his teachers etc. Since it was written in his point of view the world was seen so innocently and completely positively which is why I absolutely loved
Rizal
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katy Noyes
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this, but had a few problems with it as I went along.

After The Shock of the Fall (schizophrenia), The Rosie Project (Aspergers'), and various others, we now have a protagonist with Tourette's Syndrome. Dylan Mint is sixteen, attends a special school in Scotland and misses his dad, away on a secret mission with the army in Afghanistan.

Early on we see that Dylan doesn't always see things as everyone else does. An appointment with a doctor leaves Dylan believing he only has
Caroline
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Mr Dog Bites is a challenging read because the very first thing you notice, even on the cover, is the bad language. And this has put some people off and some people have felt that they don't want to let their Carnegie shadowers read it. And at first I was startled and upset by the language - the racist language in particular. And then I began to see the protagonist, Dylan Mint, properly. What you come to realise that Dylan has Tourettes, and the language that comes out of his mouth - but ...more
Leilah Skelton
I have never been so conflicted whilst writing a review for a book. There was a single moment early on (page 22) with a casual comment about a character making a sound like ‘a cat being gang-raped by some dingoes’ and I balked. I was expecting language, of course, but flippant use of rape as a descriptor for a noise really threw me off course with this novel, and whether or not this is ‘how teens talk these days’, it just didn’t sit right with the protagonist’s ‘a-mayonnaising’, ...more
Lauren Kathryn
May 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Although this was a very quick read, I struggled with it.

I've never read a book about Tourettes, so this is what piqued my interest to begin with. But, once I started reading, it became apparent to me that there was no clear audience group. You see, parts were very juvenile, whereas others were very adult. I get that teenagers are growing up far too fast these days, but the two types of narrative didn't mesh.

The language also irritated me. Okay, so I am not a sixteen year old Scottish teenager,
Mirjam
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Im so disappointed.

I love YA books that inform about different diseases, syndroms or just life different than mine.
This was supposed to be that. Yes, I did learn some about Tourette's but mostly it was just plain weird and pointless and confusing. Felt like I was reading while being drunk.

Jenny in Neverland
Actual rating: 4.5
Liviania
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scottish author Brian Conaghan draws on his own experience with Tourette's Syndrome to tell the story of Dylan Mint, who has Tourette's and is convince he's going to die in March. He's inspired to create a list of things to do before he dies, but it also makes it harder for him to keep a leash on "Mr. Dog" as well as his own behavior.

Dylan might be sixteen, and sex with Michelle Malloy might be the top thing on his list, but he's almost painfully naive. His innocence makes it easier to
Kirsty
I must admit I had been looking forward to this book for a while particularly because author Phil Earle raved about it on twitter a while back and I am so pleased to say it didn't disappoint.

When Mr Dog bites is the story of Dylan a teenager with Tourettes. What I loved about it is how it got me into his head and enabled me to understand a bit more what it must be like for anyone living with the condition. Be warned it doesn't hold back in its language and so I probably wouldn't recommend it for
Jackie
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a humorous tale for older teens and young adults who don't mind the strong language as main character, Dylan, has Tourette's. Dylan is also a big hearted soul navigating an unsteady course through 'special school' and his 16th year. He's just found out he's going to die next March thanks to a hushed conversation between his mother and the doctor during a routine check. Determined not to be beaten by the mere prospect of death, he hatches up a bucket list and in his attempts to achieve ...more
This book was very insightful of living with Torrette Syndrome and it was woven into the story very well. Great disability representation of which we need to see more of. However, narration was confusing at times and the plot sluggish. I couldn't believe the reveal, I just needed to see more of it!

#diversitybingo2017 - Neuro-diverse main character (own voices)
Lisbeth
This was just the sweetest story ever about being young and innocent. An how insane the world can be, when you are also struggeling with mental illness. Just adorable!
Alyssa Claar
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tourette’s Syndrome. A neurological disorder characterized by involuntary tics and vocalizations and often the compulsive utterance of obscenities. A study has found that 1 of every 360 children suffer the Tourette’s syndrome. I read the book When Mr. Dog Bites, a book relating to the disorder. The book revolves around the main character, Dylan Mint, who suffers this disorder to a very severe degree. I will be discussing this book and why I gave this book 4 stars.

First off, let's start off with
Live  Dalen
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Mr. Dog bites
By Brian Conaghan

“I wanted to be in the waiting room again. I wanted to be with the people gawking at me. I wanted mum to give all her crying to me so she wouldn't feel so bad. I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG. After a while the doctor tells mom something. ‘And come march life as he knows it will come to an abrupt end. You need to prepare him for the inevitable.’ ’’

I connect to the book because I really care about my brothers, and in this book, Dylan Mint’s mom is caring a lot
Anna Janelle
"We kicked stones around for awhile in silence, which was Daddy Cool, because the one thing that's different between best buds and stupid acquaintances is that it's fine and dandy to boot stones around in silence with your best bud, but with acquaintances you have to think of rubbish things to say all the time in case they think you're dead boring, or a mongo. My new shoes were scuffed and scuzzy as well. I didn't care, though, because I was happy as a pig in piss that two buds were kicking some ...more
Jantine
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I know this book is very like f.i. 'The Curious Dog'. But hey, everything has been done already anyway, and I like these kind of books. So I enjoyed it very much. The end.
Natte Forsblom
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sooo goood!
Terri
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosalie
I enjoyed this. The beginning was hard to get into and there's not exactly a strong storyline. What was most important in this book were the characters and their mindsets and (everyday) struggles.
The book shouldn't have been any longer, else it would get boring very soon. Despite the weak plot and slow start, it's quite an enjoyable book to open up to the world of Tourette's.
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
The cover of When Mr Dog Bites proclaims it to be 'a story about life, death, love, sex and swearing'. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen a book described so well, as these five components really are what makes up the life of sixteen-year-old Dylan Mint.

It's a fairly straightforward story, a coming of age tale, if you will. Dylan Mint has Tourette's, he attends a special needs school and has a best friend called Amir. At a routine doctor's visit, Dylan overhears the doctor say that
Tempany Grace
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to understand Tourettes
Dylan Mint, is a 16-year-old with Tourette syndrome who lives in near-poverty with his mother (the father is absent, ostensibly fighting abroad).

Mint attends a special school for "difficult" children; his best friend is Amir, a Pakistani boy with Asperger's who is the object of constant racial abuse by an obese bully. The reader's sympathy is successfully engaged, notably as Mint stands up for his friend on more than one occasion.

Mint goes for a hospital visit and overhears his mum and the

• The Stars at Oktober Bend
  • Skylarks
  • Running For My Life: My 26.2 Mile Journey to Health and Happiness
  • Can You See Me?
  • Salvage
  • The Barrytown Trilogy: The Commitments / The Snapper / The Van
  • The Life of Lee
  • We Need to Talk About...
  • Apple and Rain
  • The Day After Tomorrow
  • Slow Train to Switzerland: One Tour, Two Trips, 150 Years - and a World of Change Apart
  • What Would the Spice Girls Do?: How the Girl Power Generation Grew Up
  • The Christmasaurus and the Winter Witch
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Obsession (L.A. Connections, #2)
  • Power (L.A. Connections, #1)
  • Want to Go Private?
  • You're Mine Now
Brian Conaghan was born in 1971. He was raised in the Scottish town of Coatbridge but now lives and works as a teacher in Dublin. He is the author of The Boy Who Made It Rain and has a Master of Letters in Creative Writing from the University of Glasgow.

His second novel When Mr Dog Bites was shortlisted for both the 2015 Carnegie Medal and the Children's Book Award Ireland, while his novel, The
“How the bloody hell can you be scared of someone's skin?'
'I don't know, mate, but some people seem to be offended by other people's skin color.”
2 likes