Start by marking “The Classy Crooks Club” as Want to Read:
The Classy Crooks Club

The Classy Crooks Club

Twelve-year-old AJ dreads spending an entire month living with her strict Grandma Jo. Not only does her grandmother dictate how she walks, what she eats, and which rooms she can enter, she fills all AJ's free time with boring sewing lessons. Grandma Jo wants nothing more than to transform her adventurous, fun-loving granddaughter into a prim and proper lady.

But AJ’s dull s
Published March 29th 2016 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about The Classy Crooks Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Classy Crooks Club

Jen (Pop! Goes The Reader)
Did you find this review helpful? Find more of my reviews at Pop! Goes The Reader!

Most of the ladies seem to want to share this mysterious secret with me, and that means my time living at Grandma Jo’s house might not be as boring as I expected. Then again, if my grandmother gets her way, it sounds like I’ll be sewing useless stuff all summer, totally clueless about what’s happening on the other side of the wall. How dare she dismiss me without even giving me a chance, just because I’m not like h
Ally
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Here's the thing about Alison Cherry that everyone should understand: she is hilarious. Her wit and cleverness definitely shine through in her excellent YA titles, but her absolutely over-the-top funniness comes to fruition in this madcap middle-grade romp about a kid who finds out that her grandmother plans and executes heists in her spare time. AJ is incredibly relatable as a soccer-loving middle-schooler who suddenly finds herself in an absolutely bizarre situation. Between the exotic birds, ...more
Elevetha
*DNF at 126 pages*

Here's the thing...this wasn't what I was expecting and it just wasn't good enough as it was for me to spend another hour or two finishing. It wasn't bad per se, but here's why I ultimately dropped it:

- The heist part of it, the part why I was reading, was more boring than I hoped. (view spoiler)

- AJ is kinda a brat.

- Gr
Christine Babcock
3.5 stars. Cute middle grade about a girl who goes to stay with her grandmother when her parents are away.
Kellee
Full review with teaching tools: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=9549

I love AJ. She is a perfect protagonist because she is just a real middle schooler. She is multi-faceted, funny, has quite a personality, has fears, makes mistakes, and is overall likeable. And she is not the only well-crafted character. Each of the characters, main, secondary, or supporting, are so fully developed that you feel like you know everyone in AJ’s life. I often am skeptical about first person POV because it is a
Stephanie Faris
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In The Classy Crooks Club, a 12-year-old girl named AJ has to spend the summer living with her super-uptight grandmother, who is desperate to turn her into a well-mannered young lady. Soon into her stay, she starts to notice something is up with her grandmother's so-called "bridge club." They're actually a team of crooks, planning heists to liberate birds and other species from captivity. I have to say there's something adorable about a bunch of criminal grannies, dressed in black, trying to sne ...more
Jasmine
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, aladdin
Takes a silly premise (old lady heist club) and uses it for a surprisingly effective examination of friendship and empathy.
T.D. Edwards
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I regularly read and enjoy YA fiction, but I can't say MG fiction is ever really on my radar these days. When I won this book via a GoodReads giveaway, I planned on finding a MG reader to give it to. However, the premise sounded so interesting that I couldn't resist opening the first page and taking a look.

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised to have genuinely enjoyed this book. I was drawn in right front the first page when AJ lamented having to spend a whole month with a prissy grandm
Katie Fitzgerald
I was attracted to the cover of this book when I saw it on the shelf at the library, but I was skeptical of the premise and nearly didn't check it out. In the end, though, I went back and picked it up, and I am so glad I did. I was expecting a sweet and cozy mystery story, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much depth there was to this story. Though the premise is far-fetched, the author uses it to tackle very real questions and issues. AJ must deal with the usual middle school problems: a cr ...more
Hannah
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sienna
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, I liked it but I thought it was going to be a little funnier. I wish one thing hadn't happened but I still thought it was a fun read.
Jen Malone
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lucky CP here- laughed my butt off the whole way through:)
Meggan
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Funny but with great depth to the story. I really enjoyed this
Nicole Lisa
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I got to read this in an early draft and I can't wait for everyone else to read it! Maybe the best, and funniest, Alison Cherry book yet.
Nic
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!! Read this book!!!!
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The Classy Crooks Club interested me in the moral dilemma that it poises. In the book AJ is faced with the ethical dilemma when invited to help her grandmother’s group to steal for ethical reasons. The question that arises is the question about is it ever ethical to steal. The answer we seem to get in the story is convoluted. AJ’s decision about whether it is ethical or not isn’t clear cut.

Other than that, the story switched from AJ’s soccer practice/her friends and her time as a thief. This al
Elza Kinde
Spending four weeks at Grandma Jo's house is going to be torture. AJ is everything her strict and proper grandmother can't stand; athletic, adventurous, and unrefined. But when AJ discovers that Grandma Jo's bridge club is just a front, her summer takes an unexpectedly interesting turn.

The Classy Crooks Club has just about everything you could want from a book. Depth and complexities to the story come at you from every angle, blending heists and action/adventure themes seamlessly with a family/f
Lenni Jones
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Grandmas are sweet. They care for their grandchildren; spoiling the kids rotten. Or at least, that's what you'd think.

AJ REALLY doesn't want to go to her Grandmother Jo's house for a month while her parents go to another country. Her grandmother hates her!!! And it starts off just as bad as AJ expected. But her grandmother is not quite the grump AJ thought she was. Grandma Jo liberates abused animals along with other things with a group of friends. And now, they want AJ to join their mission. At
Judy Andrews
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
There are the things I found difficult to accept with this book: 1) Elderly bashing, most comments about the "old ladies" including AJ's grandmother are very negative. 2) Stealing, even if you believe it is for a "good" cause is still wrong; 3) Teaching a 12-year old to pick locks is also a wobbly moral issue with me. The story was fun, and two of my teens read it and liked it a lot. I would not recommend it be put on a book list however because of the above mentioned problems.
Paula Howard
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book.

AJ is in a funk as she has to spend a month with her Grandma. Her Grandma is strict and plans on giving her etiquette lessons, doesn't like loud noises....and the list goes on and on.

AJ is totally taken by surprise to learn the the "bridge" club is really a ......heist group. She is even more surprised when she is asked to join them.

Who know her Grandmother and "bridge" could be fun.
Vanessa Wojciechowski
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I really love how her grandmother makes her take etiquette lessons because that shows how much she wants AJ to become a proper young lady. The ending was the best part for me. I love how with everything they steal there is a background behind it with one of the crooks. I also really liked how AJ wants to try to avoid her grandmother and sleep over at her friends house because that's how anyone would probably be if they were stuck in that situation.
Teresa
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.
I liked it okay but it felt draggy in parts to me. I also don't know if this should be classified as a 8-12 yr old book; some events in the latter half of the book seemed like they might be a bit mature for that age bracket. That's just my opinion though. Overall it was just not my cup of tea.
Lacey
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Aj has no idea that her grandma and her friends are a bunch of classy crooks! She is recruited to help them while staying with her grandma. Things take and unexpected turn and Aj has to make some intense decisions. Will they get caught? I really enjoyed this fun story!
Amy Holiday
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute, unusual story with a weird twist. Loved the main character, and her grandma's goofy friends, as well as her dedication to her family and how she navigated her schoolmates. The climax was a little...odd. But, big adventure so I guess it worked out.
Connor
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Maybe 3.5? An enjoyable read, but while I definitely didn't see that last plot twist coming, it felt a bit... much for a novel of this scope. Still, fun and mostly light-hearted.
Christina
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
I was really enjoying this until the ending, which was oddly intense for the intended audience.
Mary
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-6th-grade
Totally unbelievable yet totally charming.
miaf826
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book it was hilarious!
Aaliyah B
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a very interesting book to read. It was also suspenseful to me and a great book for girls.
Sharon Buxton
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
B-. fiction, middle grade, granny gang of thieves
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Tiara on the Terrace (Young and Yang #2)
  • Genie Wishes
  • Howard Wallace, P.I. (Howard Wallace, P.I., #1)
  • Nightmare at the Book Fair
  • The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street
  • Under Locker and Key
  • Not As We Know It
  • The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher
  • Pilfer Academy: A School So Bad It's Criminal
  • The Saturday Boy
  • The Wild Ones (The Wild Ones #1)
  • P.S. I Miss You
  • Framed! (Framed #1)
  • Family Game Night and Other Catastrophes
  • Stars So Sweet (All Four Stars, #3)
  • Kat Greene Comes Clean
  • Jeremy Bender vs. the Cupcake Cadets
  • How to Stage a Catastrophe
Alison grew up in Evanston, IL. She is a professional photographer and spent many years working as a lighting designer for theater, opera, and dance. Now she lives in Brooklyn and writes young adult novels full time. She is represented by the lovely and amazing Holly Root of Root Literary.