Start by marking “In the Dark (The Cities Below, #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Dark (The Cities Below, #1)

In the Dark

(The Cities Below #1)

Soren and Faith must find a way to survive the evil and darkness.

Faith’s spur of the moment vacation, meant to free her and boost her spirits, has left her lost on the streets of Paris. And apparently, Paris is populated with something more than just humans. Vampires, suave, seductive and oh so sexy, and one such warrior vampire has set his sights on her.

When Soren hears
Published November 3rd 2014 by Kensington Publishing/ Lyrical Press

To ask other readers questions about In the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Dark

Start your review of In the Dark (The Cities Below, #1)
Sonja
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
I really liked this book. It was one of those where I kept telling myself "just one more chapter" until I really had to stop. A lot of the book could probably be considered pretty slow because it didn't particularly have a lot of action until the end. But I was so sucked in with the characters and wanting to find out what they were going to do that it didn't matter to me.

Soren is our important vampire. He's a proud and loyal Guardian to the city of Balinese and third most important. Typically an
Dusti Dasilva
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I was first sent this book as a request to review, I almost passed on it. Really I think a lot of bloggers I know were in the same boat as I. The back cover, doesn’t do this book justice. I was like really another Vampire book that has the whole fall in love with a human, save her, and sweep her away? Same ole same ole. Uh No! This book is so much more. The underground vampire cities are amazing. This new concept is one that I love! Vampires having their own cities right under human noses? ...more
Gaele
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kensington, reviewed
I’ve read several historical fiction titles that use the underground ossuaries in European cities, this is the first that incorporates the Catacombes de Paris while using them as the highlight and hidden world for a setting. Jen Colly incorporates the slightly ominous, spooky and endlessly fascinating catacombs.

A slow-growing story, most of the action is concentrated at the end, with Faith’s decisions and choices after all she has learned. She never expected a getaway vacation to Paris would re
Amy
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Whether you aren't normally into the vampire thing or have been "vampired out", or absolutely adore this genre, please don't set this book aside. It wasn't run of the mill by any means. It was a whole new culture and way of life and the wit poking fun at all the stereotypes/myths was great. I don't know how to give reviews without giving parts of the books away. I get too excited and end up with spoilers. I'll just end the review by saying how glad I am to realize it's a series because I can't w ...more
Tiblu
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
1st and last read.... if I'm reading a romance ? It has to be the main course not a side dish...

Too much in too little, too much story about demons in too little time...
I really detest when a writer cares more about the story arc than the romance , if this is just going to be a story arc about some mysterious demons wanting to take over vampire cities fine ,but don't call it a romance if you do...
Clea
Becky Baldridge
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I waffled back and forth on my feelings about this one. I went into it expecting a romance and while there is a couple who fall in love, it's more romance light. There's a kiss here and there, and some trust issues that can be expected considering the circumstances, but it's not an all-consuming love story. Nevertheless, the more I read, the more interested I became. This first book does a great job of introducing the reader to the world of The Cities Below. We also get a bit of intrigue and act ...more
Eva Millien
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After being attacked by demons and saved by the sexy vampire, Soren, Faith is whisked away to his home only to find that together they will have to find a way to survive the evil and darkness when his home becomes the demons target in this thrilling paranormal romance.

A fast pace and smooth flowing plot keeps readers shivering in anticipation with plenty of suspense, excitement and romance. Jen Colly brings her story to life with well written scenes and details that capture the imagination and t
Krystal
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Paris is a place I have never visited. Much less a city underground it that is filled with vampires. In "In The Dark" Jen Colly weaves a magical tale that drops you in both of those places and makes you feel like you are really there. The detail that she puts not only into describing the look of the city, but also the sounds of the cities around the characters makes your forget all about that lumpy chair you are sitting on.

In this story she tells what would happen if a vampire tried to do somet
Sheri
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Lost in a strange city, Faith finds herself in trouble, only to be rescued by sexy Soren, vampire extraordinaire. But his rescue only leads to her life being turned upside down when she discovers a whole new world beyond anything she had ever imagined.

As the attraction between human and vampire builds, so does the trouble they need to get themselves away from. Together they must find a way to survive.

This was an excellent story that left me looking forward to more. The characterization was gre
Lynnett
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I love the different take on Vampires and the underworld in general. I also loved Faith and the relationship between her and Soren. What I thought was lacking was the ending and the fact that it was not long enough. With a bit more length, the blanks of the story could have been more completely developed. Otherwise, I thing the writing was good and the story was captivating.
April
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, paranormal
a different way to portray vamps.
Sherry Vitaniemi
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Changed

This book was not what I expected. It was even better. In Paris she was looking for something. But under ground she found her mate and home.
Giovana (laBOOK'S Blog)
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review was previously posted on Corazones Literarios. This book was provided by the author through BBT in exchange for a honest review.

What I like the most of this book is the originallity of this story. I always like new ways to see vampire and strong and well telling background vampire's stories. Definetely, the book cover don't make it justice to it, cause it's so different of the cunrrently, well known vampire's tales out there, and brings something unique and fresh to the readers.

But
Sasha Hibbs
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
*I received this novel in exchange for an honest review *

In the Dark by Jen Colly was…hot! Whew! The cover grabbed me and the synopsis sold it to me. The reader is introduced to Faith, rescued by Soren. I mean, really, can’t you guess where the story leads from here? That comment is not for the purpose of slighting the author. Please don’t misunderstand me, when I read books I’m not so much looking for originality but more for characters that stand out, and Ms. Colly’s cast of characters grabbed
Heidi
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I very much appreciate when an author builds a world I can fall into and Jen Colly has done exactly that. Faith has made an impulsive trip to Paris and finds herself lost and in danger. Who knew demons were very real? And trusting her rescuer, Soren, could make the small leap from the frying pan into the fire very dangerous. He leads her to an underground city filled with vampires (something else she never believed existed). His goal in claiming her is to keep her safe from the demons. He never ...more
Katina
Apr 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Don't judge this book by its cover - this book has less sex than the Twilight series (and the sex is about as detailed as Twilight), so I'm not really sure why there are nekkid people on the cover... that being said, I thought it was a pretty decent vampire story that doesn't follow most of the regular vampire trope.
loves 2 read romance
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley.
Faiths life is forever altered when she is attacked by demons in an alley and is saved by a vampire. Soren comes to her aid and one thing leads to another and he has to make a decision kill or claim. Faith is drawn into a world she never knew existed and both are trying to fight the growing feelings between them.
Melissa
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Well-written book that holds the readers attention from beginning to end. I read this book in one sitting and can't wait to read the next book in the series. Be prepared to lose yourself in these pages!

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review via Netgalley.
Christine
Dec 02, 2017
Elizabeth
Sep 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Summerhouse (The Summerhouse, #1)
  • Real Men Howl (Real Men Shift, #1)
  • Blood Magick (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, #3)
  • Return to Summerhouse (The Summerhouse, #2)
  • As You Wish (The Summerhouse, #3)
  • Tease (Kings of Korruption MC #2)
  • Wolf Rising (SWAT, #8)
  • Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1)
Jen Colly is the rare case of an author who rebelled against reading assignments throughout her school years. Now she prefers reading books in a series, which has led her to writing her first paranormal romance series The Cities Below. She will write about anything that catches her fancy, though truth be told, her weaknesses are pirates and vampires. She lives in Ohio with her supportive husband, ...more

The Cities Below (4 books)
  • Bound (The Cities Below, #2)
  • Beneath the Night (The Cities Below, #3)
  • Sheltered (The Cities Below, #4)

News & Interviews