Start by marking “Hunting Monsters (Hunting Monsters #1)” as Want to Read:
Hunting Monsters (Hunting Monsters #1)

Hunting Monsters (Hunting Monsters #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  276 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
“Happy birthday, child. Careful not to shoot any grundwirgen.”

Ever since she was a small girl, she has learned to be careful on the hunt, to recognize the signs that separate regular animals from human-cursed grundwirgen. To harm a grundwirgen is a crime punishable by death by the King's decree - a fatal mistake that her Auntie Rosa and mother have carefully prepared her t
Published October 7th 2014 by Book Smugglers Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hunting Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunting Monsters

TheBookSmugglers
There is going to be a sequel to Hunting Monsters coming out in the summer! We are so happy about it, can't wait to share with the world. More about it

ETA Sep 14 2015:

Fighting Demons is the sequel to Hunting Monsters. Cover and pre-order!

Fighting Demons is out now
Mitticus
Beautiful cover

Interesting short tale about a girl , with suggestions to many others fairy tales (view spoiler)
Steph Sinclair
Disclaimer: I was sent a copy of this book for free from The Book Smugglers, the publishing duo behind this title.

I don’t usually do short stories and I’ve frequently find myself saying that every time I read a short story I actually like. But it’s true, I don’t. In this case, Huang’s story immediately hooked me and by the time it was over, I was wishing for more. The pacing was perfect for its length and never felt rushed like some novellas may feel. What I really loved was reading a story tha
Liz* Fashionably Late
Liz, you can read it here.

Do it.
Nancy Meservier
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hunting Monsters is a the first short story to be put out by Book Smugglers Publishing, which will be putting out six fairy tale inspired short stories over the next couple months. The stories can be read for free on the Book Smugglers Blog, or purchased as an ebook with some bonus content.

Drawing its inspiration from Beauty and the Beast and Red Riding Hood, Hunting Monsters tells the story of Xiao Hong, a teenage girl who was pretty much raised with a rifle in her hand. The most important rule
Tamsinwilloughby
“Tell me again,” she’d say to me, night after night, her voice starting to creak with age even though her spine was as straight, her eyes as bright as ever. “Tell me again, how you know one.”

“Aw, Auntie,” I would groan as I got older, snuggling down by the fire. “I’m never going to see a grundwirgen. They’re too rare. What are the chances—”

“The chances you’ll be tried for murder? Child, have some sense. You must know. There are no excuses.”

“I think if one starts up a conversation I might suspect
Sharon L
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great short story with interesting twists, world building, development and characters.

I think the best way to desvribe it is a new way of looking and beauty and the beast. The similarities are striking and the twist is wonderful which makes it really original!
Justin
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable story combining Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, and Little Red Riding Hood. The ending felt flat to me, but the ride getting there was top notch.
Daniel
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Lepa pricica, skoro ko neka bajka jedino sto nema bas neku pouku. Iskreno receno imam vise osecaj da je ovo samo uvod u vecu pricu.

Svet zvuci dosta interesantan sta sa vesticama i ljudima kaznjenih da se pretvaraju u cudovista za zlocine.

Vredi procitati.
Louise
I really liked Huang's writing style and I felt like this story had a lot of potential, but just rushed to much.

The world-building is really interesting. Rosa mentions the idea that there's lot of different types of grundwirgen and I thought they could have been explored more, as could the investigation into Auntie Rosa's secret room. Obviously, this is a short story so there's only so much room but there was a lot of room for development that I think could have made a full-length novel.

To me, t
Yolanda Sfetsos
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first short story published by The Book Smugglers, and it's a great one.

It's hard to talk about this intriguing tale without giving away vital details, so I'll just mention that in a world where human-cursed animals called grundwirgen roam, it is a crime to hunt them. So when her mother is arrested for killing one, she discovers some secrets that her mother and Auntie Rosa have been keeping.

Secrets that will tear them apart...

This was an interesting and dark retelling of Red Riding
''But the strongest chains that trapped her were in her own mind.”

Mini review, more like my thoughts in five sentences.
It was very well-written and easy to get into. I feel like I got a quite good grip of the world and the characters in only 50 pages. Recommended if you like fairytales and don't mind some rushed plot twists.

I might pick up the rest of the shorts from The book smugglers' website, since they seem to feature more diverse characters (do you have any idea of how happy I was the ma
Katy
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
A LGQT subversive dark retelling, incorporating elements of Beauty and the Beast and Red Riding Hood. This explores the theme of secrets... why we keep things from the ones we love and at what cost? This was a very quick read; I finished it in less than 30 minutes and can be read in its entirety on the Book Smugglers blog. My rating: 8/10 Excellent.
Molly
Short story with hints of Beauty and the Beast and Red Riding Hood.

Lovely story, though I wish it was a little longer. There were some things left hanging in the air, like the fact that Xiao Hong's father was/is a king. Maybe it's a prequel of a future novel?

The link: http://thebooksmugglers.com/2014/10/h...
Angela
22 January 2015: $0.00 FREE on Kindle

8 January 2015: $0.99 on Kindle
Kaleb
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was exceptionally good! Although the ending left me cold, I adored everything about this story from the diverse characters to the wonderful way Huang tackles the themes of various fairy tales in this lovely retelling. Moving Huang's novel to the top of my list!
Alexandra
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Beautiful cover. I wish I could own a copy of it.

I liked the story well-enough. (Although, I have to admit I'm still not big on fairy tale retellings / inspired stories. So it's not my fave.) The ending was a bit abrupt.

I'm glad to see there is a sequel to this story. There are lots of interesting things still to explore in this world.
Dylan Benito
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very fun fairy tale retelling.
Ann Elise Monte
Hunting Monsters is a quick read that ties together influences from a couple of different fairytales, mainly Little Red Riding Hood and Beauty and the Beast. There's also a touch of Snow White, but that's only used in passing. It's hard to review this story without giving spoilers, but I'll do my best.

While this story is told from the perspective of Xiao Hong, a teenage girl, the story really belongs to her mother, Mei, and Auntie Rosa. Auntie Rosa isn't Xiao's auntie per se. It's more of a titl
Betty
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fairy tale fans.
Title: Hunting Monsters
Author: S. L. Huang
Series: No series yet but I hear the author is working on a sequel, to which I say yay!
Genre: Fairy tale retelling, ebook.
Format: This was a very cool ebook format, with the story "Hunting Monsters" followed by an essay where the author talks about her inspirations for the piece and an interview with the publishers. I enjoyed the story hugely and I got a lot out of the other parts as well.
Setting: A fairy tale world, where the killing of enchanted anima
**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**
Hunting Monsters was a great blend of Beauty and the Beast and Little Red Riding Hood. I wasn't paying very much attention when I started reading, so I nearly missed the fact that it was a retelling. In retrospect, I got it, though.

Despite being a short story, the world is built up just enough to give the reader an understanding of the politics of the setting. It's admirable for being only 50 pages long. I wish there had been more, though.

Especially in regard to the grundwirgens, and the story b
Rebecca
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've never been very intrigued by short stories, but if they're written as well as Hunting Monsters, I've been missing out because this was fantastic. Compelling and original, every word served a purpose, moving the story forward at a perfect pace. At only 50 pages, it never felt rushed, which made it easy to sink into the story.

I happened upon this by the off chance and decided to give it a go - glad I did! My favourite read for #12DaysofDiversity and I'll definitely be reading the sequel. A re
Z
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great little re-telling of "Little Red Riding Hood." The idea of Red Riding Hood as a hunter isn't necessarily a new one, but this story takes this idea and runs with it far beyond the generic hunter premise. The characters have interesting backstories and are developed as well as they can be in the short span of the story.

Also, if you're looking for more diverse fairy tale re-tellings, this is one for you. The protagonist was essentially raised by two mothers and all the characters in
Shira Glassman
When "women rescuing women" in fairy tales goes down a dark path. Well-written and easy to follow, and beautifully creative, but I am always less interested in LGBT fiction where the couple is parted at the end. The sequel Fighting Demons does have a more hopeful ending where Mom #1 and daughter go looking for Mom #2.
Jennavier
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
That was an unusual and fascinating read. I would recommend it to anyone who likes fairy tail retelling and brain benders.
Alexandra
Jan 08, 2015 marked it as looks-interesting-maybe-read
Available free here: http://thebooksmugglers.com/2014/10/h.... Also $.99 for Kindle.
Cheryl Hager
I didn't mind the retelling per say, but I really dislike short stories ( and micro stories even less) because they're pretty 'meatless'. The last 15 minutes of this one was the author explaining her changes and such.
Rivka
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this until it abruptly stopped.
Fableknot
Friggin' gorgeous. Just friggin' gorgeous. How dare you do this to me, S.L. Huang? How dare you?

In this retelling of Beauty and the Beast and Little Red Riding Hood. Xiao Hong is a young girl that comes from a family of hunters. She's raised by her mother Mei and her partner Rosa, who have given her everything she needs and everything she needs to know. Although her mother is distant and Xiao Hong spends more time with Auntie Rosa, she loves them both more than anything in the world. So when the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Velveteen vs. The Multiverse (Velveteen vs., #2)
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 3: March/April 2015
  • The Terracotta Bride
  • Burning Girls
  • The Raven and the Reindeer
  • Phantazein
  • The Bread We Eat in Dreams
  • Burnt Sugar (Firebug, #0.5)
  • The Novels of the Jaran: Jaran / An Earthly Crown / His Conquering Sword / The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #1-4)
  • Rituals (Rhapsody of Blood, #1)
  • Lips Like Ice
  • Bone and Jewel Creatures
  • The Waiting Stars
  • Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories
  • The Astronomer Who Met The North Wind
  • The Porcelain Dove
  • Champion of the Rose (Darest, #1)
  • Fantasy Magazine, October 2014: Women Destroy Fantasy! Special Issue

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Isn’t she a trifle young for a firearm?” said my mother. “Too young? Ha. Seven is almost too old,” said Auntie Rosa.” 0 likes