Start by marking “Impyrium” as Want to Read:
Impyrium

Impyrium

(Impyrium #1)

In the first book of Henry Neffs new high-stakes middle grade fantasy series, two unlikely alliesthe Faeregine princess Hazel and the servant boy Hobconfront a conspiracy that will shake the world of Impyrium to its core.

For over three thousand years, the Faeregine dynasty has ruled Impyrium. But the familys magic has been fading, and with it their power over the empire.
Published October 11th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Impyrium, please sign up.
Randy From Henry's FB page in June 2019: Henry H. Neff ... Unfortunately there wont be a second Impyrium anytime soon. Between creative delays (I wrote half…moreFrom Henry's FB page in June 2019: Henry H. Neff ... Unfortunately there won’t be a second Impyrium anytime soon. Between creative delays (I wrote half a sequel and didn’t like it) and some health issues, the publisher elected to cut bait and move on. It happens. My big takeaway is that at this stage of my life/career I write too slowly to do children’s series and should focus on standalone novels or books for adults (where there isn’t as much urgency to crank out the next one for fear that an audience will age out of the series etc.) I’m working on a different sort of book at present while trying to get healthy. It’s both liberating and daunting. Someday I hope to have the creative leeway to return to Hazel and Hob but we’ll have to see what develops(less)
Henry IMPYRIUM does indeed take place in The Tapestry's world, albeit 3,000 years after The Tapestry concluded. Some aspects of the world (and Rowan!) will…moreIMPYRIUM does indeed take place in The Tapestry's world, albeit 3,000 years after The Tapestry concluded. Some aspects of the world (and Rowan!) will be familiar, but many things have changed — for better and for worse. Can't wait for you to read it!(less)

Start your review of Impyrium
Courtney
I didn't get into this book right away -- I often get thrown off by fantasy worlds that take place in "our" future, and drop in hints of our world. I'm getting invested in this fantasy-infused society and then suddenly the characters are watching an old Disney movie? But these details ultimately are woven into the fabric of a whole lot of intricate worldbuilding. Impyrium feels like a fully fleshed out world, full of sniffing hags (don't ask), secret revolutions, catty noble families, ancient ...more
Elisha
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
IMPYRIUM by Henry H. Neff is the first book in a brand new fantasy series sure to knock your socks off! This YA novel boasts a hefty 585 pages of pure excitement and adventure. Neff creates a very complex world, and as a result, the story starts out slow. At first, all the characters, the lands history, and the new vocabulary can be confusing. However, eventually it starts to click and as a result, pacing begins to pick up. It is then that the book starts to become a lot of fun.

I genuinely love
Laura Jean
This book is for grades 5-8. It reminded me of Harry Potter, though I felt more complex. The story takes place 3,000 years in the future in a world of magic and dragons. So kind of a mix of high fantasy and alternate history. I found this really cool. I also liked the two main characters: Hazel and Hob. Wonderful world building with imps but also completely original creatures like the kitchen hags. They were my favorite. Plus, the dialogue was witty and clever. It was just a fun book.
mills♥
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
*4.5 because the romance killed meeeee*

This book was really good! There was tons of action at the end, but the beginning was slow. It started to pick up when (view spoiler) . I found myself liking the parts that focused on Hazel more because she was just so interesting and relatable.

ALSO, the romance KILLED me. Their little saying... MY HEART HAS BEEN RIPPED APART! asdfghjkl!!!!!!!!

Sorry, fangirl moment. This book was overall really good. It was just
Angela
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Faeregine dynasty has been ruling Impyrium for over 3000 years with the help of magic, but what the public doesnt know, is that their magic is slowly becoming weaker every generation, until Hazel is born.
Hazel the youngest in the royal family, gladly spends all her free time perfecting her magic in private, and staying as far away from the public as possible, considering that everime she shows her face they call her a discrace to her family name.
Hob lives with his mother and younger sister
Michelle
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Appropriate for: age 13+

I loved this book so much. I stayed up late 5 nights in a row just so I could finish it. I liked both main characters a lot. The magic had some new, interesting elements to it. The mystery was very compelling. No swear words (yay!) but it has pseudo swear words such as the B word for illegitimate child. I recommend it for older teens because of the violence and the concepts are a bit hard to grasp.
Dorine White
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to Impyrium, the world that remains after a great cataclysm happened on Earth. For over three thousand years, the Faeregine dynasty has ruled Impyrium. Now, twelve year-old Hazel, the youngest of royal triplets, is set to inherit the power of her ancient family. Enter servant boy, Hobs. A young man who has been recruited by The Fellowship, a rebel group opposed to the Faeregine's and all magical families of the upper class.

Hob's works his way into Hazel's life, becoming her friend and
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
3.5

Overall, I enjoyed this story. It reads like a sort of MG High Fantasy, and I liked the world building and how it didn't seem, to be, to be overly info-dumpy. Things were gradually laid out as they became relevant, and I liked the different perspectives we got to see through the two main characters eyes.

Really, I think the characters were a highlight for me. They were written so well - so believable and relatable, and they came from very different backgrounds with very different perspectives,
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Some books don't resonate with a reader and unfortunately this one never really caught my interest. The writing is strong and there is good worldbuilding. But I also felt that I had read this story before; an amalgamation of dystopian and fantasy middle grade books that failed to engage. So I write this review with my thoughts but also the caveat that I am likely one of a very few who did not enjoy the book. Likely,
Evangeline
Okay so I DNF-ed this after a couple chapters.

I think that if I had continued, I might have really enjoyed it (that's why I'm putting it at 2 stars instead of just 1. I'M SO SORRY), but it felt like the author was trying to cram in too much world-building at once for it to be all comprehensible.

...It's also just a really big book and I wasn't in the mood for that.

Really this is a "it's not you, it's me" thing.
Hannie Han Han
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had to keep checking my brain for examples of twelve-year-olds and thirteen-years-olds every time I wanted to give side-eye to some depictions that I thought were probably too mature for that age. But then I reminded myself that this is a middle school fantasy, and once I let myself suspend that reality, then I was totally sucked in. An entertaining young adult read for those who like magic. A well-crafted story with a strongly developed magical world. Way better than the Magicians.
Jenny
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved the ending of this book, but it took so long to get there. This was drawn out and longer than it should have been, so it was hard to stick with it. And if it's hard for a language arts teacher to stick with it, imagine how much harder it would be for its target audience. It really could have been chopped down without losing any valuable information. Besides that, it was an interesting novel. It definitely reminded me of Harry Potter in some ways.
Erin Pauley
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was nervous about a book relating to the tapestry series because I love it so much and did not want it to be ruined. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this book! At first I was sort of upset by how far into the future this book goes and by how different the world seems but it definitely won me over. I will be sure to read the next book in this series.
Lara
I hadn't heard anything about this book, but when it came in at work I noticed the quote on the cover from James Dashner saying, "I haven't read about a world so deep, so purely magical, so well-developed since Harry Potter." Then I turned it over and saw another one from Eoin Colfer saying, "A rare jewel. A new classic in the fantasy genre." Um, well, ok, if you guys insist. I'll bite!

While I definitely don't think this series will ever become another Harry Potter, there's certainly something
Heidi
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At 500+ pages, Impyrium is truly the beginning of an epic fantasy series. Neff has done an amazing job of creating a dystopian world from top to bottom. The amount of detail given is amazing, it's clear that the author has thought through his world very thoroughly (see account above). But it's Hazel and Hob that kept me reading the book. Hazel is a sweet girl, who through no fault of her own, happens to be one of the granddaughters of the Divine Empress, the last of the Faeregine dynasty. She ...more
Britt
In which I finally read a middle grade book that I like (that's not a sequel). WHEE!

3000 years ago (aka present day), the earth suffered from "the Cataclysm" - a apocalyptic event that changed the literal shape of the earth (because earthquakes) as well as all of it's political structures. In this 3000 years fast forwarded version of earth, technology has been all but outlawed, and magical folks are treated in a vastly superior way to those without magic. Hob Smythe is a non-magical miner living
Jan farnworth
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a hefty book for the middle grade genre but it is not a let down at all this was action packed and entertains with a wide range of characters. The author did a great job setting up the world of impyrium and sharing how the whole world works. It drew me enough that i am curious about other works by this author. I am excited to see where the series goes as i was not read to leave Impyrium yet when i finished the story.
Liz Friend
The story: Hazel Faeregine is a princess; Hobson Smythe is a backwoods miner. But events in the past--magic, betrayal, worldwide disaster--threaten to overthrow the royal house, and Hob, planted as a spy in the royal household, is there to move the revolt along...yet as he befriends the princess, he comes to see her in a different light. But will he--a "Muir" without any Magic at all--be able to overcome the hypnosis that holds him bound and is forcing him to hold a sword to her throat?

June
Amy
Oh my gosh, BEST MIDDLE GRADE FANTASY I'VE EVER READ. It reminds me SO MUCH of Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series, I was swept away just as completely. This is definitely for your smart readers. Complex storytelling and lots of twists with amazing characters. The world building is absolutely phenomenal. The only thing that makes this middle grade versus YA is the age of the protagonists--they are 12. And I finally have another great clean series to recommend to my super readers at the ...more
Hannah
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It takes about 100 pages to get into the action, but after that, there's 483 more pages of "I don't want to put this down" because it's magical. Seriously, it's packed with all the fantastical things imps, dragons, homunculi, shape-shifting, a velvet painting of a unicorn, betrayal (that's a mandatory thing in fantasy books, right?), etc. ...more
Emily Bates
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg, fantasy
GORGEOUS world-building and really rounded and complex characters. I had no idea this was a sequel series until I finished the book and looked up the author, and I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Now working my way through the Tapestry series . . .
Brittany
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I truly enjoyed this story and look forward to the next.
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
May 18, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2016
Note: I'm reading a Trade Paperback edition with this ISBN but since it is an ARC may become a hardback later.
Jordan
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

Impyrium may be a middle grade level book, but if you think that means the content is in any way juvenile or simplistic, you would be mistaken. The book itself comes in at almost 600 pages, which is definitely on the longer side as far as middle grade novels go, and it is incredibly in-depth and entertaining. I think the main thing that makes this middle grade is the fact that it is not exceptionally violent or explicit, and most of the main
Sovotchka
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is rare that a book surprises me with its scope, especially in the Middle Grade section. When the Tapestry series came out though, I was not just surprised. I was overwhelmed. With every new book, the ramifications of the previous one were out in full force, and it was a wonder to read, if difficult to wrap your head around.

Impyrium takes full advantage of that powerful world, but amazingly manages to tell its own story, with its own issues and implications. In fact, to new readers I would
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely blown away by this entire book everything from the building of the setting to the development of the plot. The world is very interesting the story behind it was that it was our world, and magicians practiced in secret. However, an evil demon decided to conquer the world, and was only stopped by three extraordinarily powerful magicians. That event was called the Cataclysm, and it completely rearranged the world as we know it. One of the powerful magicians established a dynasty ...more
Emesskay
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This books suffered from what I call the "Herman Melville effect." When I was in college, taking an American Literature survey course, we were supposed to read "Moby Dick." I would start to read "Moby Dick" and within a few pages I would fall asleep. I would wake an hour later, try again, and fall asleep. I have no idea what it was about "Moby Dick" which made me sleepy, but it was really hard to stay awake and read that book.

I don't know why "Impyrium" made me sleepy, but I could read about 8
Oona
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While the world building and the terminologies are heavy at the beginning, the characters swept me away. Neff's word choice and sentencing in this novel hold young readers to high standards. Like almost any science fiction or fantasy novel, it demands close reading and re-reading a lot at the beginning. If I were advising a student who had selected this for independent reading, I'd say to be patient with yourself at the start, pay close attention, and don't be afraid to linger on the page for a ...more
Moose Donica
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Not today. Not tomorrow. Not for all the gold in Impyrium.

Henry H. Neff has created a wonderful world in which dragons and magic reside, mixed in a hint medieval times, with a hierarchy built in to create the fantastic world this book takes place in.

Hazel Faeregine was born into the Faeregine family, the rulers of all the world, yet she is thought to be demon spawn and a dark and evil sorceress. Why? Because she looks different. Shes albino, with red eyes and pale skin. To make her problems
Carli
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
⭐⭐⭐⭐/5. Whew. This book is a LOT. Literally. A lot of pages, long chapters, and a super complex fantasy world set 3000 years in the future (or something like that). While the fantastical creatures and magic were over my brains fantasy capacity, the main story (and romance) kept me hanging on and will be the reason I might even read the sequel when it comes out. Hazel Faeregine was a surprise baby after two, making her the only one of the triplet princesses who is albino and seemingly does not ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
1 9 Nov 06, 2015 05:09AM

• Well, That Was Awkward
  • Four-Four-Two
  • The Dragon's Tooth (Ashtown Burials, #1)
  • Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales
  • The Secrets of Solace (World of Solace, #2)
  • Between Two Skies
  • The Van Gogh Deception
  • The Shadow Cipher (York, #1)
  • Last Day on Mars (Chronicle of the Dark Star, #1)
  • The Chosen Ones (Worldquake Sequence, #2)
  • Let the Wind Rise (Sky Fall, #3)
  • Albrek's Tomb (Adventurers Wanted, #3)
  • The Reckless Club
  • The Axe of Sundering (Adventurers Wanted, #5)
  • Sands of Nezza (Adventurers Wanted, #4)
  • The Palace of Glass (The Forbidden Library, #3)
  • Frogkisser!
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 11 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 11] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #11)

Impyrium (2 books)