Start by marking “Impyrium” as Want to Read:
Impyrium

Impyrium (Impyrium #1)

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  788 Ratings  ·  146 Reviews
In the first book of Henry Neff’s new high-stakes middle grade fantasy series, two unlikely allies—the Faeregine princess Hazel and the servant boy Hob—confront a conspiracy that will shake the world of Impyrium to its core.

For over three thousand years, the Faeregine dynasty has ruled Impyrium. But the family’s magic has been fading, and with it their power over the empir
Published October 11th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Impyrium, please sign up.
Henry IMPYRIUM does indeed take place in The Tapestry's world, albeit 3,000 years after The Tapestry concluded. Some aspects of the world (and Rowan!) will…moreIMPYRIUM does indeed take place in The Tapestry's world, albeit 3,000 years after The Tapestry concluded. Some aspects of the world (and Rowan!) will be familiar, but many things have changed — for better and for worse. Can't wait for you to read it!(less)
Yona of the Dawn There is. The author confirmed it on his website, and his Twitter that there will be a book 2. (Literally search up Impyrium book 2 when you go to his…moreThere is. The author confirmed it on his website, and his Twitter that there will be a book 2. (Literally search up Impyrium book 2 when you go to his Twitter, and you'll find it.) It's just taking him a while to write it. It will likely come out in fall of 2018 if we're lucky. (That's a guess I made, not his exact words.)(less)

Courtney
I didn't get into this book right away -- I often get thrown off by fantasy worlds that take place in "our" future, and drop in hints of our world. I'm getting invested in this fantasy-infused society and then suddenly the characters are watching an old Disney movie? But these details ultimately are woven into the fabric of a whole lot of intricate worldbuilding. Impyrium feels like a fully fleshed out world, full of sniffing hags (don't ask), secret revolutions, catty noble families, ancient dr ...more
Elisha
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
IMPYRIUM by Henry H. Neff is the first book in a brand new fantasy series sure to knock your socks off! This YA novel boasts a hefty 585 pages of pure excitement and adventure. Neff creates a very complex world, and as a result, the story starts out slow. At first, all the characters, the land’s history, and the new vocabulary can be confusing. However, eventually it starts to click and as a result, pacing begins to pick up. It is then that the book starts to become a lot of fun.

I genuinely lov
mills♥
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
*4.5 because the romance killed meeeee*

This book was really good! There was tons of action at the end, but the beginning was slow. It started to pick up when (view spoiler) . I found myself liking the parts that focused on Hazel more because she was just so interesting and relatable.

ALSO, the romance KILLED me. Their little saying... MY HEART HAS BEEN RIPPED APART! asdfghjkl!!!!!!!!

Sorry, fangirl moment. This book was overall really good. It was just
Iliana Simeonova
Прочетох книгата преди няколко дена, но чак сега намирам време да отбележа този факт.
„Импириум“ е една интересна книга, която ни разказва за един напълно непознат за нас свят, свят, в които предателствата се крият за всеки ъгъл, героите биват заблуждавани, мамени. Това е книга за магия, тайни, загадки, приключения и сила. Това е едно красиво съкровище и се радвам, че имах възможността за прочета книгата, заслужаваше си.
Ревюто на книгата тук - http://books99blogspot.blogspot.bg/20...
Dorine White
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to Impyrium, the world that remains after a great cataclysm happened on Earth. For over three thousand years, the Faeregine dynasty has ruled Impyrium. Now, twelve year-old Hazel, the youngest of royal triplets, is set to inherit the power of her ancient family. Enter servant boy, Hobs. A young man who has been recruited by The Fellowship, a rebel group opposed to the Faeregine's and all magical families of the upper class.

Hob's works his way into Hazel's life, becoming her friend and tu
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Some books don't resonate with a reader and unfortunately this one never really caught my interest. The writing is strong and there is good worldbuilding. But I also felt that I had read this story before; an amalgamation of dystopian and fantasy middle grade books that failed to engage. So I write this review with my thoughts but also the caveat that I am likely one of a very few who did not enjoy the book. Likely, that
Книжни Криле
Хенри Х. Неф, създател на хитовата (но непревеждана все още у нас) приказна пенталогия „The Tapestry” ни поднася началото на една нова илюстрована Young Adult сага. „Импириум” (изд. "Егмонт България") е постапокалиптично фентъзи приключение в най-добрите жанрови традиции, което несъмнено ще посее у младите читатели любов към магическите светове и ще подготви следващото поколение почитатели на „Шанара” и „Умираща Земя”. Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни Криле":

Evangeline
Okay so I DNF-ed this after a couple chapters.

I think that if I had continued, I might have really enjoyed it (that's why I'm putting it at 2 stars instead of just 1. I'M SO SORRY), but it felt like the author was trying to cram in too much world-building at once for it to be all comprehensible.

...It's also just a really big book and I wasn't in the mood for that.

Really this is a "it's not you, it's me" thing.
Hannie Han Han
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had to keep checking my brain for examples of twelve-year-olds and thirteen-years-olds every time I wanted to give side-eye to some depictions that I thought were probably too mature for that age. But then I reminded myself that this is a middle school fantasy, and once I let myself suspend that reality, then I was totally sucked in. An entertaining young adult read for those who like magic. A well-crafted story with a strongly developed magical world. Way better than the Magicians.
Erin Pauley
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was nervous about a book relating to the tapestry series because I love it so much and did not want it to be ruined. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this book! At first I was sort of upset by how far into the future this book goes and by how different the world seems but it definitely won me over. I will be sure to read the next book in this series.
Lara
I hadn't heard anything about this book, but when it came in at work I noticed the quote on the cover from James Dashner saying, "I haven't read about a world so deep, so purely magical, so well-developed since Harry Potter." Then I turned it over and saw another one from Eoin Colfer saying, "A rare jewel. A new classic in the fantasy genre." Um, well, ok, if you guys insist. I'll bite!

While I definitely don't think this series will ever become another Harry Potter, there's certainly something t
Heidi
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At 500+ pages, Impyrium is truly the beginning of an epic fantasy series. Neff has done an amazing job of creating a dystopian world from top to bottom. The amount of detail given is amazing, it's clear that the author has thought through his world very thoroughly (see account above). But it's Hazel and Hob that kept me reading the book. Hazel is a sweet girl, who through no fault of her own, happens to be one of the granddaughters of the Divine Empress, the last of the Faeregine dynasty. She al ...more
Britt
In which I finally read a middle grade book that I like (that's not a sequel). WHEE!

3000 years ago (aka present day), the earth suffered from "the Cataclysm" - a apocalyptic event that changed the literal shape of the earth (because earthquakes) as well as all of it's political structures. In this 3000 years fast forwarded version of earth, technology has been all but outlawed, and magical folks are treated in a vastly superior way to those without magic. Hob Smythe is a non-magical miner living
Jan farnworth
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a hefty book for the middle grade genre but it is not a let down at all this was action packed and entertains with a wide range of characters. The author did a great job setting up the world of impyrium and sharing how the whole world works. It drew me enough that i am curious about other works by this author. I am excited to see where the series goes as i was not read to leave Impyrium yet when i finished the story.
Liz Friend
The story: Hazel Faeregine is a princess; Hobson Smythe is a backwoods miner. But events in the past--magic, betrayal, worldwide disaster--threaten to overthrow the royal house, and Hob, planted as a spy in the royal household, is there to move the revolt along...yet as he befriends the princess, he comes to see her in a different light. But will he--a "Muir" without any Magic at all--be able to overcome the hypnosis that holds him bound and is forcing him to hold a sword to her throat?

June Clea
Lire-une-passion
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
"En résumé, et bien que j'en ai dit un peu de mal au début, c'était une assez bonne découverte, si nous oublions que ce livre a été mal classé (de mon point de vue). Une fois qu'on comprend que ce n'est pas de la fantasy, on arrive à s'y plonger plus facilement, même si nous restons amers de cette petite déception. Les personnages ne sont pas terriblement attachants, mais on arrive à se prendre d'affection pour certains d'entre eux. La fin nous apporte quelques réponses, bien que ce soit vraimen ...more
Amy
Oh my gosh, BEST MIDDLE GRADE FANTASY I'VE EVER READ. It reminds me SO MUCH of Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series, I was swept away just as completely. This is definitely for your smart readers. Complex storytelling and lots of twists with amazing characters. The world building is absolutely phenomenal. The only thing that makes this middle grade versus YA is the age of the protagonists--they are 12. And I finally have another great clean series to recommend to my super readers at the li ...more
Hannah
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It takes about 100 pages to get into the action, but after that, there's 483 more pages of "I don't want to put this down" because it's magical. Seriously, it's packed with all the fantastical things – imps, dragons, homunculi, shape-shifting, a velvet painting of a unicorn, betrayal (that's a mandatory thing in fantasy books, right?), etc.
Emily Bates
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mg
GORGEOUS world-building and really rounded and complex characters. I had no idea this was a sequel series until I finished the book and looked up the author, and I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Now working my way through the Tapestry series . . .
Brittany
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I truly enjoyed this story and look forward to the next.
MrsJoseph
Note: I'm reading a Trade Paperback edition with this ISBN but since it is an ARC may become a hardback later.
April
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Je remercie les éditions Hachette et Myriam pour leur confiance ! J’ai d’abord craqué avec la couverture. Très tournée jeunesse mais tout simplement splendide, elle m’a immédiatement tapée dans l’œil, et j’étais pressée de plonger dans un nouveau monde imaginaire plein de magie.

Nous sommes dans le futur, 3000 ans après qu’un cataclysme ait ravagé le monde. La société s’est reconstruite autour des Faeregrine qui règnent sur Impyria d’une main de fer depuis plusieurs siècles. Mais voilà que leur
Jordan
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

Impyrium may be a middle grade level book, but if you think that means the content is in any way juvenile or simplistic, you would be mistaken. The book itself comes in at almost 600 pages, which is definitely on the longer side as far as middle grade novels go, and it is incredibly in-depth and entertaining. I think the main thing that makes this middle grade is the fact that it is not exceptionally violent or explicit, and most of the main charact
Emesskay
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This books suffered from what I call the "Herman Melville effect." When I was in college, taking an American Literature survey course, we were supposed to read "Moby Dick." I would start to read "Moby Dick" and within a few pages I would fall asleep. I would wake an hour later, try again, and fall asleep. I have no idea what it was about "Moby Dick" which made me sleepy, but it was really hard to stay awake and read that book.

I don't know why "Impyrium" made me sleepy, but I could read about 8 p
Jess -  Les Tentatrices

ombée un peu par hasard sur ce roman, le résumé m’avait beaucoup plu, du coup j’ai sauté sur l’occasion pour le lire ! Globalement, ce fût une lecture assez sympathique.

J’ai beaucoup aimé l’univers mise en place par l’auteur, un récit qui se passe après le grand Cataclysme qui a ravagé la Terre. Il a crée son propre univers post-apocalyptique à partir du notre. Nous retrouvons donc quelques vestiges et références de notre monde parsemés dans le livre tout en y intégrant ma
Oona
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While the world building and the terminologies are heavy at the beginning, the characters swept me away. Neff's word choice and sentencing in this novel hold young readers to high standards. Like almost any science fiction or fantasy novel, it demands close reading and re-reading a lot at the beginning. If I were advising a student who had selected this for independent reading, I'd say to be patient with yourself at the start, pay close attention, and don't be afraid to linger on the page for a ...more
Moose Donica
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Not today. Not tomorrow. Not for all the gold in Impyrium.”

Henry H. Neff has created a wonderful world in which dragons and magic reside, mixed in a hint medieval times, with a hierarchy built in to create the fantastic world this book takes place in.

Hazel Faeregine was born into the Faeregine family, the rulers of all the world, yet she is thought to be demon spawn and a dark and evil sorceress. Why? Because she looks different. She’s albino, with red eyes and pale skin. To make her problems w
Matthew Hendricks
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It felt as if Henry H Neff had created a world that he knew very well. The setting felt well developed and real, and the characters were painted well enough that a good deal of them felt real and believable to me. A few of the characters such as Dante and Imogene Hyde were so totally set up as antagonists that they felt a little one-dimensional, but they were at least one-dimensional in a satisfying way.
The two main characters Hob and Hazel were very satisfying and I think that they complimented
Arwen84
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ragazzi
Bella scoperta nel panorama delle letture per ragazzi!Seguiamo le vicende dal punto di vista di due personaggi, la principessa Hazel, una ragazzina poco interessata agli studi canonici, molto vivace e che tutti considerano inferiore alle sue due gemelle, un po'per il suo carattere ribelle e forse anche per il suo aspetto albino che la rende più somigliante a un demone che a un essere umano, ma dentro di sè Hazel nasconde un grande potere magico che nemmeno lei sa di avere, ma che sembra essere m ...more
1 9 Nov 06, 2015 05:09AM
  • Foxheart (Foxheart, #1)
  • Rebel Genius
  • Suitcase of Stars (Enchanted Emporium, #1; La Bottega Battibaleno, #1)
  • A Tail of Camelot  (Mice of the Round Table, #1)
  • If the Magic Fits (100 Dresses, #1)
  • Thornghost
  • The Secret Horses of Briar Hill
  • A Nearer Moon
  • The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse
  • A Legend of Starfire (A Sliver of Stardust, #2)
  • Disenchanted: The Trials of Cinderella (Tyme, #2)
  • The Box and the Dragonfly (The Keepers #1)
  • Ravenous (Monstrous, #2)
  • StarChaser (TodHunter Moon, #3)
  • The Initiation (Lock and Key #1)
  • The Fog Diver (The Fog Diver, #1)
  • Moonkind (Winterling, #3)
  • The Crimson Skew (The Mapmakers Trilogy, #3)

Impyrium (2 books)
  • Impyrium, Livre II

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“one of those things a consoling parent might say, and” 0 likes