Start by marking “Quantum Lens” as Want to Read:
Quantum Lens

Quantum Lens

A mind-blowing new thriller from the NY Times bestselling author of WIRED

“Richards is a worthy successor to Michael Crichton.” —SF Book.com

Omar Haddad is a brutal jihadist in Syria who appears to be invulnerable and capable of supernatural feats. But is Haddad divine, as he claims? Is he a gifted magician? Or is he making use of a stunning scientific breakthrough? And wh
Kindle Edition, First , 358 pages
Published October 1st 2014 by Paragon Press

To ask other readers questions about Quantum Lens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quantum Lens

Start your review of Quantum Lens
Dec 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
The story line is o.k. (if unbelievable), the character development is poor, the plot is unique, BUT I can't get past the unnecessarily cruel way the female protagonist was treated in this book.

In science fiction novels, I expect to have to suspend disbelief, but a great author such as Crichton (whom I've seen Douglas Richards compared to, but I don't see the similarities personally) is able to get you to do that in a way that does not require you to CONSCIOUSLY keep turning off the part of you
O.S. Prime
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
If you like your main character to be a repeated, passive victim of physical and emotional violence and also the recipient of frequent extended bouts of mansplaining, then this science-y fiction book may be for you. On the other hand, if you don't enjoy interminable expositions of crackpot ideas and tedious play-by-play analyses of prior action scenes, your appreciation for this work may be limited. There are several twists in this book that provide interest and a few examples of humorous banter ...more
Douglas Richards
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi. Sorry, this isn't a review. I just wanted to alert those who receive my reviews that my new novel, Quantum Lens is now out. If any of you know how to import the cover image from Amazon, I'd appreciate if you would do so. Thanks! (I know -- I'm pretty pathetic when I can't figure out how to get my book set up on GR after setting up 10 others :)

Doug

Jim
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You must read this book or it won't exist!

Now I could be wrong about that but if I learned anything from this book, it's that quantum physics is something I know very little about. This book is a real good mystery story which I usually don't read. I did enjoy it though. It turned into one of those books you can't put down.

I wasn't sure who the main character was going to be but soon found out that there were/are three, Dr. Alyssa Aronson, Brennan Craft, and Eben Martin. While all three are cent
Jim Seidman
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
While the underlying story is compelling, Richards frequently interrupts the plot for long periods of dialog exploring topics of science, religion, philosophy, and politics. This wouldn't be a problem for me if Richards' information on these topics was even vaguely accurate. But it's not, meaning that the reader is left with long sections of pseudoscientific nonsense or sophomoric uninformed musings.

The main premise of the book is that people can learn to harness quantum energy by using the mind
John
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story is definitely different. Two "god-wannabe's" who are able to fly around at 500 mph without an airplane, destroy people and structures with a single nod, and generally be a threat to mankind, are on the loose. Their mastery and application of quantum physics makes them impervious to external attack by normal people and present-day weapons. Enter Dr. Alyssa Aronson, a behavioral scientist, with knowledge that both sides need, and the stage is set for an epic showdown. The book has a lot ...more
Colin MacNeil
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Characters are one-dimensional. Some of the ideas are interesting, more on that below. The "twist" ending was broadcast in neon lights well before it was a surprise so reading the last few chapters was just an exercise in patience.

The primary character we follow through most of the story is just a patsy and has zero agency. She is just used by the other main characters throughout the book. I kept picturing her with these big doe eyes in a constant state of fawning amazement at the protagonist. W
Lucas Carlson
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Talk about a terrific twist of an ending... I pride myself on being able to see twists ahead of time, but I didn't see it coming. Terrifically delightful.
Jeff
Oct 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
- Poor pacing. Small bits of action mixed with lots of repetitive and tiresome exposition.
- The science is sophomoric. The author resorts to analogies to popular movies ("What if we really are in the Matrix?") Yet amazingly, the author added an Afterword where he patted himself on the back for his "extensive" research.
- Mindblowingly-annoying habit of using breathtakingly-taut superlatives on every single page of the book. Distracting.
- Stereotypes. The sole female character serves only as a pup
Banner
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This story moved at a fairly fast pace and keep me interested in the characters. I enjoyed the mixture of science, religion, philosophy and politics. Several interesting concepts to mull over in my entertainment.

This was a little cheesy (but only a little). There were a couple of really ah ha moments in the plot.

It gets high marks for entertainment value but not so much from a literary perspective.

I will certainly try this author again.

Bina Lyn
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Longer than it needed to be.....

The plot was interesting...up to a point. Then it went downhill....dramatically. The female character....definitely written by a man - for such a smart woman, she behaved like a sex starved teenager who only wants to be "liked".....

I needed it to end....so, yep - I started skipping a lot....basically to the last two chapters to wrap it up. Would I recommend it.....nope.
Angela
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Where is the action?! The characters talked me to death. Seriously, the book is about an astounding jump in mental capabilities which makes those who learn the ability as powerful as a god. The struggle to rule the entire world has begun and the two main characters have the ability to wipe out the planet. This sounds like a great comic book to movie scenario but no, the author torments readers with pseudoscience and long discussions of religion.
Yvonne
No rating - DNF @ 35%

Jean Hontz
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Tyler Thomas
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A little too far fetched for me. Main characters are OP (over powered). Personally enjoy books that border closer to scientific possibilities. I will say that the ending is thrilling.
Jack
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Quantum physics is becoming a thing and not a thing. It certainly serves as a mind-bending backdrop to a story.

Alyssa Aronson goes on a blind date to meet Theo Grant. They go to her house for a night cap, and let's just say the date ends in a spectacular fashion. Then there's a guy in the Middle East who believes he is The Hand of God. And he does appear to have some kind of power.

And that's about all I feel comfortable saying to avoid spoilers.

I found this to be an exceptional read, a complete
Santosh
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Douglas Richards does a great job at merging complex physics, psychology, human behavior, and pure logic into a coherent and understandable flow. It is easy to see he can bring complex theories to life, add his own fictional implications, and turn it into a story. The operating word here being "can".

While I enjoyed the scientific exploration in the book, there was only a hint of a story. Character development could have been better. The story could use more meat to make it sound less like a prol
Hal Zenner
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sean Randall
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another charged and gripping work from Richards, with similarities to Wired and Amped yet with enough divergence to keep things fresh. I've read enough Richards now to know which way endings are going to go, which does take things down a little, and the thrown-in female, macho yet physically alluring guy and very, very rich helping-hand is becoming something of a theme. Still, a worthy story and one I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.
Gabriel Gasparolo
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Good idea and plot but unsatisfactory execution

The story tells more than show how smart are different characters. The heroine, while doing advances beyond what's known to the public on psychology, is so gullible that's hard to relate to. Also, at least three chapters are used to explain what the lector already knew by anticipation and can't help to make plausible the actions of the main character.
Tulay
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to sit back and think about this book.

Maybe I have to sleep on what I was in this book. Could this happen in my life time? Syria is in the news? Could this be possible in the near future? Love to read mystery/thrillers, but even it's fictional I like to read books that makes me think and wonder.
Maryanna Gabriel
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved Reading This Book

Adventures in psychology, hypnosis, and quantum physics, real and speculative, told from the perspective of very interesting characters. Good vs evil, twists and turns of plot, romantic but not overly mushy. This book is a joy to Read. I'll be reading more from this author.
Bartosz
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
An exposition for idiots

Reading this book I felt like the author thought I was a moron, meticulously explaining every situation to make sure I didn't miss any of the nuances, of which there were really none anyway.
Lynne
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Rather 'wordy' and not enough action in my opinion. I thought it was a tad on the daft side but hey-ho, what a boring world it would be if we all thought the same way!
Richard J.
May 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I was not impressed. I can see what the author was going for. It is an 'ok' written book, but I do not feel that it was amazing. There were parts that could have been expanded. Instead of telling us a character was going crazy, or that 'they practiced', maybe devote a few chapters to that. Draw us more of a picture of what is going on, instead of just saying 'and that happened'. You are a book, not a movie. You don't have a budget nor a run-time limit. I also feel the book was explanation heavy, ...more
Randy Gardner
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
So I need to start something new to get the bad taste of this book out of my head. It's steriotypical characterization of the women as a victim leaves me sick. I was wrong to say this was up to Crichton standards. It is not that good in my estimation. Now I am sure there are some people who will find this thriller satisfying but I am not one of those people. I can only say that this will probably sour my willingness to read any more of this authors books in the near furture. I must point out tha ...more
Emanuele Gemelli
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-reader
This is the second book in a row I'm reading , which title has the word 'quantum' as the first; like the first, this is between ridiculous and idiotic. Actually this even worse. The author claims he had tapped in some serious stuff, well, sure, maybe; however the plot and the characters are quite ridiculous in their development. In a nut shell: one crazy guy gets super duper powers by tapping into zero energy thanks to another guy like that; the former becomes rapidly insane, while the other as ...more
Timothy Martin
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I had some high hopes for this book as it started off establishing an interesting scientific theory with a lot of potential. After its introduction, however, the story failed to use this main plot point in an interesting way.

It is the same problem with the characters. In the beginning they are interesting and full of the potential for growth and their flaws become apparent. Instead they are established as nearly "perfect" people and this doesnt change. In fact it really makes the progression of
Jay Williams
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book leans heavily on modern physics to create an imaginative and suspenseful story. The writing style is very appropriate to action, with limited descriptions. The characters are fairly straightforward, but do not offer a lot of depth. The plot has a number of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing, but the apparent changes in character of some of the main cast are not as shocking as they could be - the characters are not deep enough for the reader to be shocked. The book ends like t ...more
Michael Scullin
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Quantum Lens is based on a single "what if" question.

Doug Richards' Quantum Lens explores the idea of what might happen if a person could learn to control zero point energy (quantum fluctuations) with his mind. There's lots of Socratic exposition about quantum physics and a bit of suspense papering over an adolescent love story. A strange mixture of science jargon and romantic angst pervades the style. Probably a good read for young adults but lacks a mature viewpoint overall.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Quantum Time (Quantum, #3)
  • The God Theory: Universes, Zero-Point Fields and What's Behind It All
  • Quantum Void (Quantum, #2)
  • Quantum Space (Quantum, #1)
  • Augmented
  • New Eden
  • Extinction Crisis
  • Phenomena
  • Extinction Countdown
  • Prelude to Extinction
  • Quantum Incident (Quantum, #0.5)
  • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter, #3)
  • 3zekiel
  • Deep Black
  • Another World
  • Nomad (Nomad, #1)
  • The Genesis Conspiracy
  • The Solar War (The Long Winter, #2)
Douglas E. Richards was born on May 7th, 1962. He grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio with his parents and his sister, Pam. He went to Finneytown High School, and then graduated with a degree in microbiology from Ohio State University, a master's degree in molecular biology from the University of Wisconsin, and a master's degree in business administration from the University of Chicago.

Douglas now lives

News & Interviews

“T.S. Elliot: “And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time.” 12 likes
“humankind’s fundamental understanding of the nature of reality. If an observer could alter the universe by his observation, then didn’t the universe require consciousness to even exist?” 1 likes