Start by marking “The Night We Said Yes (The Night We Said Yes, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Night We Said Yes (The Night We Said Yes, #1)

The Night We Said Yes

(The Night We Said Yes #1)

A fun, romantic read, perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen and Susane Colasanti! What happens when Matt and Ella reunite one year after their breakup? Are second chances really possible?

Before Matt, Ella had a plan. Get over her ex-boyfriend and graduate high school—simple as that. But Matt—the cute, shy, bespectacled bass player—was never part of that plan. And neither was
Published June 16th 2015 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Night We Said Yes, please sign up.
Lauren Hi! Sorry for missing your question! Well, it's not an edge-of-your-seat thriller, that's for sure, but there are some surprising moments, so I hope…moreHi! Sorry for missing your question! Well, it's not an edge-of-your-seat thriller, that's for sure, but there are some surprising moments, so I hope that'll keep you excited! :)(less)
Lauren As the author, I can say it's an HONOR having my book compared to Paper Towns! But I can honestly say that aside from them both taking place in…moreAs the author, I can say it's an HONOR having my book compared to Paper Towns! But I can honestly say that aside from them both taking place in Orlando, and having a wild night, there aren't many other similarities. (less)

Start your review of The Night We Said Yes (The Night We Said Yes, #1)
Emily May
Apr 29, 2015 marked it as dnf
DNF

I only made it to 15% so positive reviews could convince me to try this one again, but so far it seems too silly and immature for me. I felt no connection with the characters and I get the feeling that the MC would just annoy me if I continued, especially because she has that whole Bella Swan-esque "I don't feel alive without my boyfriend to complete me" thing going on:

And since he left, I've simply been living in a cocoon, afraid to put myself out there again. Afraid to be let down again.
I
Ari

There's something magical about the books that happen during one night and all the possibilities they are filled with. There's something magical about first loves: the spark of a first touch, the uncertainty of a first kiss, the blush on the lover's cheeks.

And there's so much magic in a night when you would only say 'yes' - yes to new beginnings, yes to love, yes to forgiveness, yes to the crazy fun that can bring people together over and over again.

... There's something magical about "The

“What do you want to do?”
“How about… a night of saying yes.”

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

This was an okay YA contemporary romance, but it didn’t hold my attention well.

I didn’t really love the characters in this, they irritated me a bit, and I wouldn’t have wanted to be on a night out with them to be honest. I’d have been catching a bus home and spending the night with my kindle instead.

“Whenever Meg
Aditi
“Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.”

---- Anaïs Nin, French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer

Lauren Gibaldi, an American author, pens her debut YA novel, The Night We Said Yes, which traces the life story of few high school teenagers making history and adventures in a night and is centered around the concept of undying friendships, first love, possibilities, making
Laurence R.
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

I love the entire concept of this book, saying yes. As a predictable person who has a hard time getting out of her comfort zone, I basically need someone to push me like that to make me enjoy life fully. In general, I think most of us, especially readers, since we tend to be more reserved, should say yes more often, to smaller and bigger things. It's the reason why I reached for this book in the first place, because it reminded me of what I should be doing.

I really liked
Rana⚡
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Actual rating :2.5

Disappointed but not surprised! The writing was horrible, but at least the idea was nice.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!

I hate to admit this, but when I picked this up, I was in a sort of YA contemporary funk. I was so tired of the same old, same old and I really wasn't all that excited to start this. But, the synopsis looked original and fun and I was hoping like crazy that this debut novel would blow me away, get me out of my own head and most of all be fun. Something I seriously needed in order to get back into the groove of this genre.

Wonderfully written as it goes back and forth from the “now” to
Stacee
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was a little wary of this premise, but still pretty excited about it. I'm not a fan of the "ILY so let's break up" plot line, which I sort of assumed this was. I'm so happy to have been wrong.

First off, I loved the now and then alternating chapters. It's a clever way to tell the story and show us how everything happened. The emotions of each time frame are so strong and so different, yet the transition is smooth.

Ella and her group of friends are fabulous. I loved the dynamic. I loved how they
Larissa
Apr 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
See this review at YA Midnight Reads

Okay, I’m in a baking mood. So, let me introduce to you today’s recipe: the formulaic and completely forgettable The Night We Said Yes.

description

Begin by preheating your contemporary romance trope oven to a mild 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Begin mixing everything into a large glass bowl. For this recipe, you’ll need the very bland Ella vanilla flavoring. The vanilla is the main ingredient and will wow you with its overwhelmingly paper like personality. Ella is inseparable
Danielle (Love at First Page)
You know when you read a synopsis and think, "This is totally going to be a 'me' book"? Well, that's how I felt about The Night We Said Yes -- a cute and fluffy contemporary romance, set over the course of two 24-hour periods with alternating "then" and "now" chapters, two teens caught between first love and second chances. Sounds perfect. But, unfortunately, I didn't feel any connection to the story or to the characters. At all. The magic was completely missing. It's such a bummer because most ...more
Fafa's Book Corner
Jun 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Mini review:

DNF

I had heard about this book a while ago. It didn't catch my interest at the time. I found this book again and decided to put it on hold in my library. I enjoy contemporaries so I was hoping to like this one. Unfortunately this book was not for me.

For one thing Ella acts like Bella from Twilight where she's been depressed since Matt left and hasn't been living her life. She stopped doing the things she liked because of this. I especially did not like the alternating chapters. They
Caroline
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
OKAY so I am actually giving this 2.5/5 stars. I rounded the rating down because three stars felt a little bit too generous and there were quite a few things that bothered me about this book. I was really excited when I got this in my OwlCrate last month because the synopsis sounds adorable and said it was about friendship which is always nice. I enjoyed this book just enough to keep me reading.. I'm just gonna fill this review with the things I found frustrating so here we go.

First, it bothered
Justine
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a very nice YA contemporary romance! :)
Kelly Peterson
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this ARC from the publisher. This in no way influences my opinions expressed below.

This review was originally posted on Live, Love, Read.

First, I have to say THANK YOU to Wendy at The Midnight Garden for selecting me as the winner of their ARC giveaway and sending my name off to the publisher! Also, I have to thank HarperTeen for donating their ARCs to this giveaway and sending this book to me! YOU’VE OPENED MY EYES! Thank you!

I was hesitant to
Clara  Cheng

I received an ARC of this book from HarperCollins International and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This book is full of love and friendship, and summer. It's the kind of book that will make you smile through flipping pages because the scenes continuously remind you the memories of your own. The characters are easily relatable with weaknesses. In fact, it is their flaws that make them even
Christy LoveOfBooks

This started out really good, but got boring about halfway in. Plus, the characters went from likeable and fun, to mostly annoying. I contemplated ditching it a few times, but I reached the point of no return, so I just plowed through to get it over with. Thank goodness it’s a fairly short book.
Kirsty-Marie Jones
My first thought after reading The Night We Said Yes, apart from thank God that was over while bashing my head against a wall, was what the hell was that actually about? I'm having trouble figuring that out. The whole thing of The Night We Said Yes was supposed to be about dares and not saying no to crazy things, and the NOW, about recreating them, only...that ended rather quickly and then it was just about drama and petty things and blushing and inner dialogue that was both boring and repeating ...more
Lily ☁️
2 1/2 stars. I feel really conflicted about The Night We Said Yes. On one hand, there are a lot of things I liked about this book, but on the other, also many things that irked me. Even trying to type out a coherent review is proving to be quite difficult right now. I think putting it on my mixed-feelings shelf sums up my feelings about it best.

All in all, it’s a solid book; it’s well-written, it’s got a decent plot, the characters are believable—there’s nothing that I can really criticize per
Neil (or bleed)
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
So how about ... a high five for friendship?

I forgot to review this one and now, I don't exactly remember everything about this book. But I thought it is a fun read and I enjoyed reading it so I gave it 3 stars months ago.
nick
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-favorites

For some very strange reason, I thought The Night We Said Yes was going to be a murder mystery. I think it has to do a lot with the cover. Anyways, that's besides the point. The Night We Said Yes was a complete surprise to me, not only because it wasn't a murder mystery, but also because it was a delightful debut novel that I found myself devouring. It has everything that I enjoy in a great YA contemporary book: swoony romance, realistic characters and most importantly, genuine female
Dahlia
This was so. Much. Fun. I read it in one sitting, and there was just nothing I didn't enjoy about it - it's exactly my kind of contemp summer romance. Matt was adorable, and I loved that he got to show a little edge, too. I *loved* that there was a group of friends that was both guys and girls, that they call and text each other because they care about each other and not just to flirt. I love how strong the secondary characters were, and what a strong subplot the romance there was, and I could ...more
Mackenzi
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well this was teenagerhood in a book.
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
I had been excited for this book for so long, and I'm happy to say I thoroughly enjoyed it! The characters were lovable, the plot was enticing and fun, the writing was beautiful, the romance was spectacular. I loved every inch of this fun beach read, and I'm happy to say it has some profound themes as well. This book is definitely one to check out! Review to come.
Ashley Reid
Jan 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Probably No-one
I kept trying to like this, I really did, But I just couldn't get into it. I think it was more Juvenile as opposed to Young Adult.

I like a lot of Juvenile books, but I couldn't really connect with any of the characters in this and the whole thing was annoying me, which is why I kept putting it off and hoping it would get better.
Marla Mei
2-2.5 stars

I'm not sure. I could see this working much better as a movie though.
Anabel (inthebookcorner)
3.5/5 stars.
A cute and fun summer read!
Jasprit
The Night We Said Yes was a book about missed chances and making the best out of the opportunities you’re given. I liked the idea of having one night where you said yes to everything no matter what. Ella hadn’t been through the best few months, the guy that she thought was the love of her life just upped and left with no explanation and no one could get a response out of him either. So when Matt turns up out of the blue, the night we said yes is definitely what Ella needs.

I really felt for Ella,
Lauren
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
"So how about a high-five for friendship?"

*sigh* I did really enjoy this book. I love contemporary novels that are unique in their own way as this one was. I absolutely loved the writing and I liked that it alternated from present to past each chapter.

I liked the characters, but I wish we would have gotten to see more of them. And that's really my one complaint, we didn't get to witness enough of the group and their story and everything in between. We got little glimpses and we got the two
Mel González

This was really, really cute. I didn't have a lot of problems with it, it's just very simple. I really enjoyed that both perspectives took place in just one night, the writing was very fun but not outstanding, the characters annoyed me sometimes because they were super dramatic over things that weren't a
Book Riot Community
I’ll be honest, Book Riot readers. I’m probably going to be talking about The Night We Said Yes a lot in the coming months. One of the reasons I read Young Adult fiction is for the nostalgia factor, remembering the ups and downs of being an angst-filled teenager, believing I knew everything. And my goodness, Lauren Gibaldi’s debut really brings in the nostalgia factor, with sweet and awkward romance, exciting misadventures, and those complicated friendships that really defined being a growing, ...more

• Last Year's Mistake
  • Never Always Sometimes
  • The Secrets of Attraction
  • Between Us and the Moon
  • Map to the Stars
  • Since Last Summer (Rules of Summer, #2)
  • The Boy Most Likely To
  • The Promise of Amazing
  • Changes in Latitudes
  • Rules of Summer (Rules of Summer, #1)
  • Joyride
  • The Loose Ends List
  • Alex, Approximately
  • The Cost of All Things
  • Wanderlost
  • The Infinite Moment of Us
  • I'll Meet You There
  • Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
Public librarian and author of THE NIGHT WE SAID YES, MATT'S STORY (a Night We Said Yes novella), AUTOFOCUS, and THIS TINY PERFECT WORLD, all with HarperTeen / HarperCollins. Fan of dinosaurs and cheesy jokes. And you.

The Night We Said Yes (2 books)
  • Matt's Story (The Night We Said Yes, #0.5)
“It was my favorite part of the night - when the evening's events were still unknown and unpredictable. It was the sense of possibility that I loved, the idea that anything could happen next.” 25 likes
“I've spent my life on the road, trying to find home, when really, you were always home to me.” 15 likes