Start by marking “Release” as Want to Read:
Release

Release

After three years of desperation, her release may be a new beginning... or it may be her end.
Miscarrying Theodore on Leap Day devastated Mandelyn and Henry in ways that weren’t obvious at first. As year followed year, postpartum depression, marital dysfunction, and ethical corruption quietly metastasized under the guise of a lovely home and stable careers.
To free herself o
Published November 15th 2014 by Noon Key Productions LLC

To ask other readers questions about Release, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Release

Start your review of Release
Minirookha
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend Release, by Hope Russell Nunki. Fans of Tana French or Sara Gruen will enjoy the lyrical narration, while those inclined towards literary fiction will be surprised by Nunki's stark display of human faults and failings. The portrait of the contemporary human condition is at once startling and oddly familiar. Accessible, but thought provoking, this debut is certain to become a book club favorite. It is truly an enjoyable read- start to finish. Remarkable!
Janie Johnson
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-challenge
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I have to say that this book was just ok for me. It was also really up and down for me and felt a little drawn out. It may be just that this is not a book for me. I think the author is a strong writer but I feel like the story needs better execution.

I liked the storyline of this book. We have Mandelyn who suffers a miscarriage and feels inadequate because of that which results in a strain on her life and marriage. This story is her journey t
Brooke Heavey
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good read from a first-time author! The character development was excellent, and the story was very descriptive without being overbearing. I tend to get a little lost when stories have too many descriptive words, but this was a well paced book, and kept my attention the full way through! Can't wait to see what else this author comes out with next, as she is one I would read from again!
Joanie
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book ripe with fodder for book club discussions!
Maria
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Rounded up from a 2.5. I don't know if I'm the appropriate audience for this book as I don't particularly care for romance novels. Still, I wanted to love this book, I really did. I thought I would be able to relate Mandelyn's story, having been through a lot of miscarriages myself (though mine were much earlier than hers); however, I just found her self-absorbed and grating.

I thought that a lot of the dialogue was well-written, but I got bogged down in t
Absinthedragonfly
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When tragedy hits your life, you're faced with the question, of "How do I put my life back together, after something so devastating? How do I pick up the pieces of what was, and make something new, and beautiful out of it?"

The path back to "normal" isn't neat and tidy. I feel that Hope has written a book that illustrates this very well. I finished this book in 3 days, I was drawn into the story, and the characters. I didn't necessarily like all of them, but they felt real to me.

The tragedy in
Kendra
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I did receive this book free from Goodreads. Realistic adventures in life and a proficient story line that would appeal to most readers. Complexity of life as we all encounter, can you begin again ? This book may have a little of all of us in it! Looking forward to more from Hope.
Molly
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully developed characters and a captivating story. I couldn't put it down.
Doris
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-have-won
I won this book on goodreads. Good premise but took way to long to tell the story.
Erica
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a free book, I believe through a Goodreads drawing, a couple years ago. At the time, I was going through a divorce and it wasn't something I could bring myself to read then. I'm so glad I packed it when we went on vacation to Ocean City, MD recently. It was very well-written and I identified with some of the feelings and reactions to those feelings that the protagonist, Mandelyn, had. The author's descriptions of Sedona, AZ lead me to research the area and put it on my li ...more
Amanda
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
There were parts of the this book I really liked and related to - the what ifs? the reminiscing on past relationships? the self exploration? the exploring magical lands while self reflecting. Parts of the book were a little too detailed, like some of the scientific details. I liked more of the personal relationships and interactions. Overall an enjoyable read.
Jennifer Theriot
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Take this saying and hold it in your mind for a bit, if you will: 'If you love something, let it go. If if comes back to you, its yours forever. If it doesn't, then it was never meant to be.' (We will revisit this later).....
When I first started reading Release, I thought it was simply a story about a couple who had lost a child. Far from it. This book tapped into every single one of my emotions. As you would expect, there is heartache. When Mandelyn and Henry lose their little Theodore on leap
Jae Park
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: firstreads
I received the book for free through Goodreads Giveaways, thank you!

"Release" was one of those books you really can't rush while reading, in order to pick up on the nuances of the writer and the flow of the story. I really enjoyed the writing style as the tale followed Mandelyn on her search to find true happiness.
Mandelyn was a sympathetic and true to herself type of character. She is really struggling to come to terms with the loss of her and Henry's baby, Theodore. When Henry finally get
Laura Mores
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Hope Russell Nunki's novel. Her storytelling comes with ease, as if the reader is sitting down with a girlfriend and a good glass of wine sharing stories. Bits and pieces of the main character's life is revealed through the present and flashbacks. I love this style as it pulls you in trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together just as the main character is trying to do herself. A very impressive first novel!
Darlene Cruz
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Caught my attention right away and kept me there in the moment till the end. No doubt the pace moved steady with life's dramas. Well written with such emotional overtone. The author made me feel her story by easily pulling it all together to create some kind of normalcy. I received a free book that I had won via Goodreads First Read Giveaway. Thank you, Darlene Cruz
Lori Melnyczuk
Tracy Hebert
Nov 02, 2014
Kay Butz
Nov 04, 2014
I'm actively seeking guest bloggers and guest blogging opportunities. Let me know if you're interested in reaching my audience or having my audience reach you. www.hopenunki.com

I am a former professional mascot, signmaker, thespian, and school teacher. The common thread among these roles is a passion for illuminating common yet complex issues in accessible yet unusual ways. With a degree in theatr