Start by marking “A Meditation on Murder (Death in Paradise #1)” as Want to Read:
A Meditation on Murder (Death in Paradise #1)

A Meditation on Murder

(Death in Paradise #1)

Aslan Kennedy has an idyllic life: Leader of a Spiritual Retreat for wealthy holidaymakers on one of the Caribbean's most unspoilt islands, Saint Marie. Until he’s murdered, that is. The case seems open and shut: when Aslan was killed he was inside a locked room with only five other people, one of whom has already confessed to the murder.

Detective Inspector Richard Poole
Published January 2nd 2015 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about A Meditation on Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Meditation on Murder

Umut Reviews
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this cozy mystery a lot. It's a typical closed circle whodunnit murder mystery, but set in a Caribbean island. The tropical setting drips through the pages, and it's so delightful for a summer fan like me :)
This series also turned into a BBC tv series, and I'll definitely will be watching that too.
In this one, Aslan Kennedy gets killed by stabbing with a knife in a small Japanese tea house while he was doing a meditation session with his clients. It's a little room where only 5 peopl
Elaine
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
I have always enjoyed watching the BBC series Death in Paradise, particularly the early series with Ben Miller as DI Richard Poole so was quite thrilled when I received a review copy of A Meditation on Murder – the first novel by its creator Robert Thorogood. It is a standalone Richard Poole story with all the familiar characters (and more) from the series and it is a read which I really, really enjoyed.

Richard is instantly recognisable – he is the same stuffy, stick in the mud that we already k
Blair
Review originally published at Learn This Phrase.

When it comes to books, 'cosy crime' has never really been my thing. From what I can figure out, 'cosies' invariably seem to involve dreadful pun-laden titles, a disproportionate amount of plots revolving around baking, and people solving murders with the aid of their pets. TV, though - that's a different matter. The TV equivalent of this sort of thing, from Midsomer Murders to Miss Marple to Rosemary & Thyme, has long been a source of comfor
Alice Lippart
An easy, enjoyable and entertaining cosy mystery. Exactly what I wanted right now.
Mark
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
In our there is a TV series we watched from day one as it kinda sounded too good to be true. An English Policeman get sent to a Caribbean Island to solve the murder of the chief detective and he gets kinda stuck there and he somewhat like a fish out of the water except this policeman is deadly afraid of water. It is a comedy, mystery and always an ending in which the detective and his staff gather all suspects around and explains the murder and who did it. Very Agatha Christie actually. This is ...more
Lisa Kay
★★★★✩ Absolutely love this BBC series on TV, so, of course, I had to get the book. Loved it. Robert Thorogood is the screenwriter for the series and he continues to bring the characters alive here in this first installment. ...more
Arlene
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it

If you are a fan of the BBC/Netflix show A Death in Paradise, then reading this book would def be the most logical step.

What I liked most about reading this book is that fact that it read EXACTLY as if I was watching an unaired episode from seasons 1 or 2 when Det. Insp. Richard Poole was in charge. And in true fashion, I read it in the voices and mannerisms of each of the other Monore Police officers. (Det. Sgt. Camille, Dwanye, and Fidel) Another thing that I liked about this stor
Renita D'Silva
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Loved this wonderful mystery in the tradition of Agatha Christie. Loved the humour and the witticisms. Especially loved Richard Poole, his hangups and his love/hate relationship with the lizard colonizing his home and the island he finds himself living in.
Mark
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Inspector Poole is back in all his grumpy glory!" Five Stars!

I am a huge, huge, huge fan of the BBC television series "Death in Paradise," as it features "locked room" mysteries in a tropical setting wherein the detective investigates a list of suspects before bringing them all together at the end for the classic denouement where the killer is revealed. If Hercule Poirot were to make an appearance, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Though I continue to watch and enjoy the show with its current cas
Rebecca Bradley
I only read 30% of this book so I won't be leaving a star rating for it but I do actually want to say something about it. This was an arc from the publisher so with thanks to them and the author for my copy.

This book was extremely well written and characterised and having only seen the television trailers from the programme I can say it did remind me of the programme it is written on. There is a real feel for the island, the heat and the characters. So for anyone who loves the programme they wi
Tracy Shephard
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aslan and his wife Rianka are peaceful living people. They own a spa retreat that offers yoga and spirituality as some of its treatments for the wealthy that visit the tropical Island.

Aslan is killed, and Julie, holding the bloody knife, confesses to his murder.

The construction of this 'whodunnit' is brilliant. Not all is as it seems and Robert Thorogood has put together a plot that is twisty and pacy. You can tell he is a fan of Agatha Christie, the piecing together of the crime is a delight to
Elaine Tomasso
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I may be at a disadvantage because I have never watched the TV series and am only vaguely aware of it so I had no preconceptions of what this book would be like but was expecting something a bit special as it is linked to prime time drama and has many positive reviews. I'm sad to say I was disappointed. I didn't like the writing which I thought almost puerile at times and very repetitive - I like to be treated as a grown up when I read and would like authors to understand that I can grasp and re ...more
Cathy Cole
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having enjoyed watching the BBC's "Death in Paradise," I looked forward to reading its creator's first mystery novel using the same setting and characters. This book is every bit as much fun as the television series.

Although I do wish that A Meditation on Murder hadn't been such a one-man show and that I could have seen more from the members of the detective inspector's team, let's face it-- Richard Poole is a marvelous character. Sent to this small Caribbean island from England to fill in for a
Karen
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun book -- especially for fans of Thorogood's Death in Paradise tv show.
I absolutely adore the BBC show Death in Paradise and have been watching it since the beginning (thanks to the wonderful world of the internet). We're currently in the final stretch of the sixth season and while I wait for the next episode to air I found myself missing Saint-Marie. I could rewatch episodes ... but I decided that it would be even more fun to read a new story featuring the characters from the
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you (like me) love the Death in Paradise tv series, you'll enjoy this book. The island setting and the characters are just as they are in the series, and the story very much follows the way that the episodes are plotted. I only gave this 4 stars because I spotted whodunnit a bit too easily for my liking, but I always try to spot the killer in each episode too. This was a lovely summer read, and I look forward to reading more in the series. Hooray for Richard Poole!
Sheila Howes
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolute must read for anyone who loves the TV series, “Death in Paradise”, but it’s also easy enough to pick up even if you have never come across the show.

For the benefit of those who haven’t seen the show, “Death in Paradise” is set on the fictional Caribbean island of Saint Marie, near Guadeloupe. A British cop leads a locally based Police team in solving crimes. In the first few series, and in the books, the British cop is DI Richard Poole.

In this story, Aslan Kennedy is the lead
Diane Hernandez
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Who doesn’t love a locked room mystery?

Only six people were in the locked meditation room:
• Aslan, owner of The Plantation Spa and murder victim
• Julia, part-time secretary and confessed killer
• Saskia, vacationing secretary
• Paul, vacationing pharmacist
• Ann, Paul’s wife
• Ben, rich vacationer

Detective Inspector Poole investigates but doubts Julia’s confession. He insists that a single drawing pin found at the scene is significant as is the crime’s location.

Highly recommended to armchair de
nick
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it

This was very reminiscent of the first two seasons of the BBC TV series. I have been binge-watching Death in Paradies (currently on season 3) and was missing DI Poole, when I found out about this book series. It read just like an episode of the show and I liked being back with the original gang!
Trelawn
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of the show and this book continues the formula to great effect. I could visualise Ben Miller as Richard Poole sweating under the Caribbean sun as he tries to unravel a locked room mystery. A great set up that kept me guessing well into the book.
Gordon
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: locked-room
Very much like an episode of Death in Paradise, which is unsurprising as it is written by the shows creator. There is more detail than the TV show. This book, and the others I think are with the Richard Poole detective (Ben Miller character). Enjoyable, but like with the show, don't expect anything groundbreaking.
Deb Marra-Yurek
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable!

Good book that keeps you guessing who the murderer is throughout the book. I think I especially liked it because I love the TV show Death in Paradise and was able to visualize each of the main characters while reading it.
Madame Histoire
I am a fan of the show and the book perfectly restores its universe. Follow the same structure as an episode, although this is a new story which hasn't been put on screen, so one still get the thrill of the murder inquiry.
With the initial cast (and Richard Pool)
Yrsa
2.5-3 stars.
I think this story is better fit on screen. The characters in the book didn't feel like the same characters in the series. Richard for example feels meaner, like he feels like he is superior, to his colleagues in the book.
The narrator was not really my favourite, he should have skipped trying to do a French accent.
The book felt a little too long and repetitiv, it could have been shortened down.
Ah, I think I'll stick to watching the tv series instead.
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I think because it's written by the creator of the show, it reads very similarly to it. I like that he has written these with DI Poole as the main character, instead of DI Goodman, as Richard was only on the show for 2 seasons. His character could have been fleshed out more if he stayed, so the book helps do that a bit. Overall, a fun, easy summer read that fans of the show will enjoy.
Vanessa Cooper
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was picked my MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my opinion. I make a point of NOT reading reviews on books I'm reading until after I've written my own.

As in not an avid viewer, I was unaware that a TV serious had been running based on the story. That's probably a good thing as it removes any chance to compare the two, for which I'm grateful because I usually find TV or film adaptations of books leave me disappointed. So, the autho
Cleopatra  Pullen
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, own, mystery
When the publishers Harlequin asked me if I'd like a copy of A Meditation On Murder I nearly bit their hands off, I have watched the television series, Death In Paradise, from the beginning ,seduced by the echoes of Agatha Christie's construction of a mystery coupled with the beautiful setting on the Caribbean island of Saint Marie.

A Meditation on Murder is in the format of a classic `locked room' mystery with the victim meeting his end in a room constructed of paper in the grounds of a hotel wh
Angela
Dec 20, 2014 added it
This is a great murder mystery of modern times but written like a good old fashioned murder mystery akin to Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle. From the creator of TV's Death In Paradise, Robert Thorogood has now put his characters on paper to give, in my opinion, a much richer fuller flavour to the Caribbean island of Saint-Marie and the cantankerous D.I. Richard Poole. We get inside Richard's head, how he hates the sand which he sweeps from his floor several times each day and hates the he ...more
VijayaRaghavan S N
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: non Agatha Christie readers
Six persons locked in a room... One of them dies... No one knows who is the killer... And there happens to be a connection between the five suspects and the victim... Wait... Do I smell something familiar?? Isn't this what Agatha Christie is famous for?? Yeah.. Exactly... And how does the author decide to defend his choice of plot line?? By letting the readers know how his love for crime mysteries started and underlining the role played by Agatha Christie's novels.. Is that enough to give the no ...more
Cheryl M-M
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Robert Thorogood is the creator of the BBC1 TV series Death in Paradise, an immensely popular series featuring the prim and proper Brit DI Poole on the paradise island of Saint-Marie. The fourth series is due to be broadcast in early 2015. For the first time ever Thorogood is bringing the popular characters to the world of bookworms in A Meditation on Murder.

I have to say I was quite looking forward to reading this because I really enjoy Death in Paradise. In the TV series it is the combination
Leonor Fernandes
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of Death in Paradise and I like reading crime novels so when I learned about this book I decided to try it. And I really liked it!
It is well written and funny. It is light to read (I read it in a few days) and the crime mystery keeps you guessing until the end, much in Agatha Christie's style.

If you know and like the show this is a must read. It was very nice "seeing" Richard Poole again and understanding his quirks and ways of thinking. Not to mention the rest of the original team.

If
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Quantum Leap: The Novel
  • Doctor Who: The Time Machine (Destiny of the Doctor, #11)
  • Mail-Order Holiday Brides: Home for Christmas / Snowflakes for Dry Creek
  • Morning Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #3)
  • Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites
  • Redemption (Devereaux, #6)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Servants of Hell
  • Whack 'N' Roll (Bunco Babes Mystery, #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Shining Man
  • Bad Faith (Sister Agatha, #1)
  • The Problem of the Green Capsule (Dr. Gideon Fell, #10)
  • The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan: A Short Story
  • Sherlock Holmes: Adventure of the Creeping Man
  • Portrait of a Murderer
  • Forever in Texas
  • The Bloodied Ivy (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #3)
  • The Calling (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #3)
  • Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet
Robert Thorogood is an English screenwriter. He is best known as the creator of the BBC 1 Murder Mystery Series, Death in Paradise.

Robert was educated at Uppingham School in Rutland and read History at Downing College, Cambridge. While at Cambridge, he toured with the university's student comedy troupe Footlights in 1993 and was elected President in 1994. Soon after leaving Cambridge, Robert set u

Death in Paradise (4 books)
  • The Killing of Polly Carter