Start by marking “You (You, #1)” as Want to Read:
You (You, #1)

You

(You #1)

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  115,809 ratings  ·  16,489 reviews
A chilling account of unrelenting, terrifying deceit, Caroline Kepnes' You is a thriller more perversely clever and dangerously twisted than any YOU have ever read.

When aspiring writer Guinevere Beck strides into the bookstore where Joe works he is instantly smitten. Beck is everything Joe has ever wanted: tough, razor-smart and sexier than his wildest dreams. He'd kill to
Published November 6th 2014 by Simon and Schuster UK (first published September 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about You, please sign up.
Kelly Short answer-NO. But it might be useful for older teens to scare the shit out of them about social media.…moreShort answer-NO. But it might be useful for older teens to scare the shit out of them about social media. (less)

·  115,809 ratings  ·  16,489 reviews

Start your review of You (You, #1)
Emily May
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, contemporary

I'm not sure what crazy people shelved this book as "romance". You is romantic in the same way that Lolita is romantic. In other words: an insane, obsessive and manipulative romance from the perspective of a charming psychopath.

It's a fucked up tale told from the POV of a stalker who obsesses over and spies on a young woman. He gradually plants himself into her life and seeks a relationship with her, whilst simultaneously hacking her emails and following every little thing she does. If you're
Matthew
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book while recovering from surgery. I was medicated and kind of loopy. Considering how weird this book is, it is kind of perfect!

Not for the faint of heart! This book is demented and twisted. You will feel uncomfortable that the words on these pages came from someone and were actually published. You will feel guilty for being enthralled by the madness and behavior of the narrator. You will start to question your own sanity as you realize you are not quite sure who you are
Colleen Hoover
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally review books when I've personally slept with the author, and this time is no different. I have never slept with Caroline Kepnes.
You should read YOU.
See what I did there?
That's because you can't read, then!
Maria
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.2/5 Stars

“The problem with books is that they end.”

Well, well, well. This is me reading the book after I have watched the TV adaptation. "adding gif of shame scene from Game of Thrones". Oh, well. Hang me. But let's talk about the book now. This is an extremely addicting, gripping and engaging book. Don't let the fact that it took me 9 days to finish this book mislead you from how obsessed I was with it, life is just like that. I could finish this book in a day, if I could. This is how
Emma Giordano
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Wow, this read was a trip! It’s been a hot minute since I’ve read something so psychologically twisted but I am ever so pleased.

CW: violence, murder, stalking, drug abuse

I’ve known You was a polarizing novel since it first reached my radar, and I can definitely confirm this is not a book for everyone. You is filled with characters ranging from flawed to downright disturbed. Throughout the story, it’s easy to feel compelled to sympathize with these characters until you have to remind yourself of
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
There aren't a lot of Guinevere Becks in the world-just the one. The first thing I had to find was your home and the Internet was designed with love in mind. It gave me so much of you, Beck.

So starts Joe's little love fest with Beck. After she comes into the bookstore that he works at he feels their connection so strongly that he knows she feels the same. Even if she hasn't realized that fact yet.
Joe might be a tad psycho. That's okay though, he is the best stalker psycho I've ever had the
Elise (TheBookishActress)
UPDATE: I am officially muting comments on this review because they without fail make me hate my life. You can take my points or you can leave them. It's a book review. If your point is "thinking critically about media is stupid and bad", I can absolutely promise you I do not care.

************

You is a book I should hypothetically like because it is messed-up. But unfortunately it’s also – and don’t kill me, I’m going to explain why I feel this way – not very good.

This is a book about a stalker,
emma
reread this book just armed with the knowledge that I can picture Joe Goldberg as Penn Badgley

(lowered to a 4.5 upon reread)

------------

On the last day of 2017, here's the full review of my last favorite of the year.

I only know one way to like music. That is when you hear a song and you’re instantly like, Holy shit this is THE SONG, and then you are fully unable to listen to any other music, everything else pales in comparison, you can only listen to this
Candace
Brilliant! This book was unlike anything I've ever read before. I enjoyed every minute of this deranged story.

Welcome to the mind of Joe, a seemingly normal guy that works in a bookshop. However, there is nothing normal about Joe. His mind is a fascinating place to be, turning brief encounters into meaningful events and even, obsessions. He's a stalker, a murderer and the most candidly honest character that I've ever crossed.

The thing about Joe is that his craziness sucks you in. I loved Joe and
Steph Sinclair
I don't even want to know what kind of research needed to be done to write this novel. The ending left a pretty big plot berg, but YOU was strangely addictive. What's even more strange was how Kepnes somehow got me to both root for Joe and be disgusted with him and myself simultaneously. Excuse me, I need to shower.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Commercial Photography

Before I even get started, let me say this is not a book for everyone. Hell, it might not be a book for anyone except for Snotchocheez and myself. There is no middle-ground to be had here. This book is offensive and the characters are all vile and I expect opinions to be extremely polarized. And I totally respect that . . . but please have the decency to not troll my review and tell me how wrong I am or that I’m a pscyho. I’m already
Adam Silvera
THIS BOOK WAS SO ADDICTIVE. I have been in a huge reading rut all year and this is the first book that I started and finished within a week. I HIGHLY recommend the audiobook.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This was a re-read on audio and it went from 5 stars to 3 stars for me. And it WASN'T because of the audio! And FYI: This book has explicit sexual situations and other stuff.

I wanted to kill everyone in this book this time around!

I mean Joe (the stalker is not the only nut job) the girl he latched onto, I hated and I hated her friend!
They were all bat shit nuts!! Right off the farm people!

I still have it 3 stars because I think the author did a fantastic job with Joe the stalker. You hated
karen
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jury-duty-book
…the problem with books is that they end. They seduce you. They spread their legs to you and pull you inside. And you go deep and leave your possessions and your ties to the world at the door and you like it inside and you don't want for your possessions or your ties and then, the book evaporates.

this was recommended to me by eeeeeveryone a few years back when it seemed a little cult was being formed around this book, and i'd been meaning to read it for a long time; so long, in fact, that i'd
Raeleen Lemay
4.5/5

THIS WAS GREAT. So freaky and messed up, just what I was in the mood for! I'm so very excited for the sequel (which apparently is up on NetGalley for anybody who can't wait).
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
Full review posted

*4 stars for plot--5 stars for writing*

It’s been 16 minutes and 4 hours since I’ve finished reading this lunatic of a book—and although I am scared and disturbed and feeling straight-up icky, I’m also outrageously impressed.

With the exception of certain scenarios appearing just a bit too fitting and orchestrated (e.g. multiple persons failing to put pass codes on their phones so a certain stalker can do his job with ease), I think this book was pretty damn amazing.

For me, it
Meredith
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
“This is what love looks like.”

In a f*cked up way, I enjoyed my time with Joe!

Since I am so late to the game, and much has already been written about You, I am going to to use Beck's words to sum up my thoughts:
“pyscholoonnutjobfreakassholesickocreep...depraved, twisted pantyhoarding creep.”
James
4 out of 5 stars to You, the first of a two-book thriller and suspense series, written in 2014 by Caroline Kepnes. All I can start out with is wow - I loved it! I've tried to pull out all spoilers, but I do give a little bit of the high-level plot and antics away, as I think it will make you want to read it more.

Why This Book
My friend Medhat asked if I’d be interested in a buddy read with him and proposed 5 different books. I’d read 1 already, didn’t have an interest in 1 of them, and 2 were
Edward Lorn
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First and foremost: THIS IS NOT A ROMANCE. This book is to romance what The Shining is to self-help books.

The titular You is Guinevere Beck (aka Beck, or simply B.), and our narrator is the uber disturbed Joe Goldberg. These two are fucked up beyond all repair and damn fun to read about. If you're a bit demented, that is. Me? I love reading about broken, warped, or all around shit human beings. They don't need to redeem themselves for me to enjoy their stories, but I must understand them. I
Riley
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFFkt...

This book will not be for everyone. You will either love it or hate it. Obviously I loved it. This book messed with my mind so much and made me see things in a whole new light. We live in an age where our whole lives are one click away on the internet. Anyone can find out anything about you. We have no privacy. Our lives are documented on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, ect. Joe, the main character, uses the internet and social media to his
Cindy Pham
Nov 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A ridiculous, nonsensical string of events paired with clunky writing like if Catcher in the Rye were written as bad erotica. I truly don't understand the point of this book other than to be gimmicky.
Nilufer Ozmekik
They always say the book is always better than its adaptation. Even Kubrick’s Shinning disappointed Stephen King and he told that “the Shining” movie version was like a big, beautiful Cadillac with no engine inside it.

It is always risky to see the adaptions because when the screenwriter turned at least 300 paged books into 100 paged screenplay, editing details and changes about the story’s construction may kill the soul and spirit of the original story. As it happened to Bird Box, remake of Pet
Maxwell
Jul 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Okay, this book is really, really hard for me to rate. Because plot-wise it was engaging, addictive, and thoroughly thrilling. I had to find out what happened next. And it was so twisted and sick and entertaining.

But content-wise, there were a lot of problems I had with this book. I have a really hard time with how explicit and violent it was; it makes me hesitant to recommend to people. There were definitely points in the story that I was disturbed and a bit offended. The writing is unique and
Nick
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

One of the most thrilling books I have ever read. Quite enjoyed it, yet didn't like the ending at all. I liked that the characters were very complex and not 2 dimensional. Will definitely check the second book soon.
Charlotte May
4.5 stars to this fucked up thriller!
Joe is a stalker. A creepy obsessive psycho who genuinely believes he is always in the right and that he deserves the best.
When Beck walks into his bookshop he is immediately smitten. His desire quickly turns to obsession as he stalks her both online and in real life. He follows her on nights out, and even watches her when she is in her apartment.
As he finds ways to insert himself into her life they form a relationship. Joe thinks they belong together, and
Esil
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, you are clever, aren’t you, Ms. Kepnes. Clever like a fox. But I’ve got your number. I’ll be watching you. That little book you wrote “You” is really not my kind of book – and you knew that. A book written from the perspective of a male stalker? Please! So trashy, so icky. There was no way I was going to read that book. But then you started setting traps to lure me. You planted some Goodreads reviews written by some of my friends – people you know I trust and respect. You had them raving ...more
❄️Nani❄️
4.5

My favourite nutcase in non-fic lit.
Yup, it happened. I finally found a character who makes all the other sociopaths I read about seem like the most stable and sane guys.

Told from Joe Goldberg's perspective, a normal —so he thinks— Manhattan bookstore employee, who gets dangerously obsessed with Beck at first sight and the rest, as they say, is history.
The narrative is structured like a long monologue to “You”: Guinevere Beck, who becomes the object of his obsessive affection. The second
Delee
You've come home to me, delivered at last, on a Tuesday, 10:06 a.m. Every day I commute to this shop on the Lower East Side from my place in Bed-Stuy. Every day I close up without finding anyone like you. Look at you, born into my world today.

I have only had one other experience reading second person narration (that I can remember) Bright Lights, Big City- I have to say I wasn't a huge fan, and I found myself avoiding anything written in that point of view...until YOU...

photo b0c6aed0-8abb-4fd4-9c21-712bf1ee30fb_zpsa17ab9b3.jpg

From the moment Guinevere
Hannah
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this was like watching a crossover episode between Criminal Minds and Law and Order: SVU told from the criminal’s perspective.

I loved every second of it.
Julie
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YOU by Caroline Kepnes is a 2014 Atria/ Emily Bestler Books publication.

Joe Goldberg may be one of the creepiest characters I’ve happened across in a very long time!!

When Guinevere Beck walks into the bookstore where Joe works, he is instantly smitten… obsessively so. He decides she is made for him and he will have her… by any means necessary.

This book was named one of Suspense Magazine’s best books of 2014 and I can see why. Joe, if you haven’t guessed by now, is a psychopathic stalker. But,

• Bird Box (Bird Box, #1)
  • An Anonymous Girl
  • Sadie
  • The Last Time I Lied
  • Dark Places
  • The Family Upstairs
Caroline Kepnes is the author of You and Hidden Bodies. She splits her time between Los Angeles, California and Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

She would love to hear from you over on Facebook.

You (2 books)
  • Hidden Bodies (You, #2)
“The problem with books is that they end.” 480 likes
“The only thing crueler than a cage so
small that a bird can’t fly is a cage so
large that a bird thinks it can fly.”
291 likes