Start by marking “This is My Rock” as Want to Read:
This is My Rock

This is My Rock

"This is my rock!" proclaims a young goat. "It's not yours," he bleats at Eagle. "Or yours," he grumbles at Bear. "Nor yours!" he shouts at the other goats. But standing atop a mountain all day and night can be lonely, especially when you have no one else to play with. . . .

With simple wit and beautifully detailed illustrations, David Lucas weaves a tale about sharing and
Published May 12th 2015 by Flying Eye Books

To ask other readers questions about This is My Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This is My Rock

Start your review of This is My Rock
Mathew
When a goat, with a fancy neckerchief, proclaims on the cover 'This is My Rock' there is already the hint that this is a book about ownership. Throughout, the goat battles back a bear, a bird, some hungry wolves and even his own family in order to ensure that this space is his and his alone. And while he's up there, he sings and plays until he eventually realises that, perhaps, it is a space best shared.
A lot lighter in humour that Klassen, Lucas explores these early ideas over possession ,
Jeremy West
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous flat illustrations with a solid message about sharing, This Is My Rock is an adorable tale of goats and friendship.
Sarah Brombley
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: friendship, nature
I enjoyed the punch line at the end of this book and the illustration was different and interesting.
Ambur
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Aww this book is absolutely adorable!!! It's the perfect book on sharing and it tells it in a really sweet way.
Maryam Fiaz
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
A great book for little ones with lots of repetition and a nice message about sharing and friendships.
K Olsen
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This book really stood out in the library for the illustration style. So different to anything else I have seen in recent years. Just beautiful. The story is simple, the text is sparse, which allows the illustrations to do all the work. There is a underlying moral - life is better when we share. The message comes across discreetly and with humour.
My daughter, just learning to read, loves the fact that she can get through this book on her own, helped by the limited number of words used, and
John
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I would give this book three stars because he doesn't want anyone coming onto his rock and that's not very nice. Miss Heather [who read the book aloud] thinks the goat will be nice, but nope. And then, at the end [spoiler alert], the goat says "race you to my rock!" and then the bird says "nope, actually: my rock!"
Andrea Mckennan
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love the pictures!
Heather
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Good choice for babies/toddlers, but there's not very much to this story. Really great pictures though!
Veronica Kapinos
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one made me laugh out loud.
Katherine
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Goat doesn't want to share his rock.
Emily
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book teaches a great lesson, and beginning readers will love reading it on their own.
Jenna Mills
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
A good moral
Grammar: possessives

Lesson: selfishness leads to loneliness, so better to share.
Becky B
A mountain goat gets on top of a big rock and scares all others off. He amuses himself for a while, but eventually he realizes it might be better with some company.

I love that the first thing the goat thinks of to do on top of his rock is yodel. So funny and unexpected. A good lesson on sharing with a fitting desert color scheme and quirkily charming illustrations.
Tori
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A mountain goat stakes his claim on top of a tall rock, scaring off everyone who tries to climb it. But what will he do with the space once he has it?
Oh my stars, I can't wait to use this one for storytime! It's short, very few words, but still tells a whole story. The illustrations are simple, with a subdued color scheme that's very easy on the eyes. I would give the goat a silly voice, as this is sort of a silly story (there's even a point where the goat yodels, y'all! How often do you get to
Kim
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
In this book, a young goat lays claim to a large rock, and runs off anyone who tries to visit. He starts out celebrating that he has his rock all to himself, but quickly realizes that not sharing means he has no friends to keep him company.

This book has beautiful artwork. The celebration scenes and the little bird at the end of the book are adorable. The resolution is pretty abrupt and easy. There was no apology for being selfish, or amends made. Otherwise, it’s a nice book.
Carol
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A forceful little goat decides to play king of the mountain on his bit of rock. No matter what creature attempts to join him, he firmly asserts, "This is MY rock". Pretty soon no one even tries to ascend HIS rock. Then he gets hungry, cold and most of all, lonely. He finally leaves his rock to remedy the situation. But what happens while he is gone from his rock? Did someone else claim his place as king of the hill? Simple and basic text combine with unique illustrations to tell this story.
L Schwarzman
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! The illustrations are adorable, and the goat in the story is too cute. This is My Rock is a great story for beginning readers because of the repetitive vocabulary. While the pictures enhance the story, they are not so overwhelming as to distract from the text. Highly recommend it. Thanks Edelweiss for the ARC!
Ally Wallace
Barbara
A mountain goat claims supremacy on the highest peak and chases all the other animals that try to climb up beside him. At first he enjoys his solitude, but eventually he becomes bored and encouraged the others to join him on a race to the top. There's a surprise waiting for him once he arrives. A good lesson on sharing is embedded in this story, supported by lively graphic art illustrations.
Jan Polep
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great picture book for the preschool crowd that would be easy to adapt as a school play focusing on friendship and sharing. A little goat claims a mountain top rock as his own until he rethinks being cold and lonely and out of friends.
Aimee
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, read-kids
Good book about sharing with a funny twist at the end.
Robin
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A humorous picture book capturing the internal tug-of-war of a need for having one's own space versus a need for companionship. The art is beautiful, and the book would hold up well to many reads.
Ilana
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ever since I read Huck Runs Amuck I've instinctively wanted to read every book I can find about goats. I keep getting disappointed. This one was... cute?
Amanda
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Best of 2015. This cracked me up! Everything was excellent.
Krystal
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
once again tommy loved this book. it reminded him of jack which is hilarious.
Rebecca Honeycutt
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it
A simple story with a too-fast emotional about-face at the end, but the illustration style is lovely, angular, and unusual.
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: goats, mountains, sharing
Goat will not share the top of the mountain but then he becomes lonely and cold. What will he do?

Michael Earp
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh David Lucas, Your style and brevity is spot on!

• The Iron Man
  • Snow
  • Construction Site on Christmas Night
  • The Little Snowplow Wishes for Snow
  • Snowmen at Night
  • Little Robin's Christmas
  • The Doll People (Doll People, #1)
  • Deep in the Ocean
  • Le più belle storie di Natale
  • Colorful Creatures
  • The Snowy Nap
  • I Saw an Ant on the Railroad Track
  • Hilda and the Stone Forest (Hilda, #5)
  • The Nosyhood
  • The Lost Picnic
  • Round
  • The Runaway Dolls (Doll People, #3)
  • Oh No, George!
David Lucas has written and illustrated several books for children and was named a Booktrust Best New Illustrator. He lives in London.