Start by marking “Archivist Wasp (Archivist Wasp Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Archivist Wasp (Archivist Wasp Saga, #1)

Archivist Wasp

(Archivist Wasp Saga #1)

Wasp's job is simple. Hunt ghosts. And every year she has to fight to remain Archivist. Desperate and alone, she strikes a bargain with the ghost of a supersoldier. She will go with him on his underworld hunt for the long-lost ghost of his partner and in exchange she will find out more about his pre-apocalyptic world than any Archivist before her. And there is much to know ...more
Published May 5th 2015 by Big Mouth House (first published April 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Archivist Wasp, please sign up.
Erin Wasp is an archivist in that she maintains and adds to the records that previous archivists have kept regarding what knowledge they are able to glean…moreWasp is an archivist in that she maintains and adds to the records that previous archivists have kept regarding what knowledge they are able to glean from the ghosts that they hunt.(less)
Susan I don't recall any swearing and there's no sexual content but it is quite violent and might be too scary for younger readers. And for some adult…moreI don't recall any swearing and there's no sexual content but it is quite violent and might be too scary for younger readers. And for some adult readers too! Lol!(less)

Start your review of Archivist Wasp (Archivist Wasp Saga, #1)
Tatiana
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tatiana by: Karyn Silverman
After starting to read the sequel - Latchkey - and realizing I couldn't remember much besides my general feeling about Archivist Wasp, I had to revisit it. And now, having re-read it, I think I had underrated and undersold it back 3 years ago.

This book left me a sobbing mess. This is the kind of book crying I like - the kind that is caused by emotions not easily accessible. After all, anyone can make you cry over a dead puppy or a mom with cancer (you know those books). The crying I like is the one that a w
Navessa
“I am the Archivist. Catchkeep’s emissary, ambassador, and avatar on earth. Her bones and stars my flesh; my flesh and bones Her stars. Mine is the mouth through which the dead world speaks. Mine are the hands that record what the dead world left behind. Mine are the eyes that hold vigil, so that the old world’s death does not return to kill the world anew.”

Wow. What an unexpected, beautiful, strange, unique, imaginative story this was. For most of it, I felt a lot like Alice must have in Wonderlan
TheBookSmugglers
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Archivist Wasp has just survived her third annual Archivist-choosing day and her wounds (she is getting slow) are still fresh, but healing. This time though, she chose to let the last of the upstarts she fought, live. Maybe things will be different this year, she thinks.

The upstart dies anyway.

The Catchkeep-priest makes sure to tell Wasp that, after he steals some of her food, as he twists yet another psychological knife on her side.

But life goes on, and Wasp
Steph Sinclair
Different, addictive and delicious. Review to come.
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Now that was different.

A solid fantasy that was entertaining, but just couldn’t make the transition from good to great.
The premise & worldbuilding was fascinating. The characters frustrating.

TALK TO EACH OTHER AND SHARE INFORMATION PEOPLE! Also, share this information with me too! So many questions are raised by the intriguing premise, but NOTHING ever gets answered. Who? What? Where? When? How? Forget it buddy, move on. Throughout the book I found myself vacillating on the rat
Justine
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book. There is something quite personal about this book, which is a heart wrenching story of loneliness, loyalty, and unfufilled longing.

Nicole Kornher-Stace has woven a profoundly imaginative tale that rivals the blend of fantasy and reality that I have come to associate with Frances Hardinge. That is pretty well the highest praise I can give anyone.

This is one of my favourite books of 2015.
Lindsay
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very strange.

Wasp is the Archivist, an honored but feared position as the Chosen of the goddess Catchkeep. Which is not fantastic because it's a position that she has to maintain by fighting challengers to the death every year. The Archivists deal with the ghosts that saturate the post-apocalyptic landscape where she lives.

After her latest challenges Wasp is at the end of her rope when she encounters an incredibly powerful ghost who convinces her to help him. They take a journey thr
Gabrielle  (Wishes she had more time to read)

Full, somewhat spoilery review here

Did I love this? Did I hate this? HECK IF I KNOW.

A LIST OF THINGS I LIKED ABOUT ARCHIVIST WASP

1. The Premise -
Kornher-Stace clearly has a gift for ideas. The blurb and early reviews promised me originality, and that's exactly what I got. Basically, Archivist Wasp is about a girl named, you guessed it, Wasp. Wasp is an Archivist - a person who hunts and studies ghosts before releasing them from limbo so that they can find eternal peace with Goddess Ca/>
Susan Gualtier
Welcome to one of the strangest and most wonderful books you will ever read. I wanted it never to end. I'm almost sorry that I ever gave another book 5 stars, because now 5 stars don't seem to be enough for this one.

This is the rare piece of post-apocalyptic fiction that doesn't feel like it's trying too hard. I think it's been categorized as YA based on the age of the protagonist, but it's not at all written with an eye to the teenage experience, and contains none of the usual YA tr
Francesca Forrest
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reading Archivist Wasp is like navigating an intense, harrowing nightmare in the company of a true friend. Wasp, the young heroine, is the true friend, though she doesn’t know it. Her role—as recorder of ghosts and their ways, and (more importantly for her town) an executioner of them—means she’s a friendless outcast. She achieved her position by killing the last archivist, and three times a year, other young girls try to do the same to her. Her life has made her suspicious and untrusting, but from ...more
Debbie Gascoyne
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, dystopia, kindle
This was quite astonishing. I am lucky to have found it: I happened to read a rave review from @TheBookSmuggler on Twitter, then, when I came in here, discovered that my friend @FrancescaForrest had also reviewed it with a five star rating. I am so happy to have discovered it! It is certainly one of the most strikingly original novels I've read for a long time, and I have a feeling that it's going to stay with me.

Wasp is an Archivist. She became one by killing the previous Archivist,
Robyn
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
A little gem of a book, so odd and yet so wonderful.
Noelle
If this book is weird, it is my kind of weird. Part mystery, part odd couple quest, part search of identity and forging human (or sometimes not quite human anymore) connections, the power of compassion and friendship....the whole thing just spoke to me. I cried a little and cheered a lot. I loved every bittersweet, beautiful word.

Iina-Sofia
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
How on Earth am I going to review this book? While I was reading Archivist Wasp, I was adoring the language, hating the all unanswered questions, respecting the bold concept, but also a bit bored from time to time. The relationship that I formed with the novel is one of those I-hate-you-but-I-love kinds, so I apologise my (most likely) incoherent ramblings.

First of all, Archivist Wasp was so different than I expected it to be! It's classified as a young adult novel on Goodreads, even
Kim
4.5

This is the story of a girl lost in a lonely, desolate, and bare world; and a girl lost in herself. Wasp is an Archivist, one of a handful of girls selected from a young age to serve in a religious order where she must capture ghosts, learn what she can from them about their lives in the world Before and then dispatch them. It is a good thing to finish them eternally, or so she has been trained to think. Wasp must also battle to the death for her title every year. There is a line of ups
Kristen
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Were you interested in the mythology and kickass ladies of Mad Max: Fury Road? Try this one!
Recommended to Kristen by: School Library Journal
This (fabulous) book is getting all kinds of much-deserved love from Kirkus and School Library Journal and whatnot, but seems to be not particularly well-known to the average reader?? Well, y’ALL ARE GONNA LEARN

Wasp is a priestess (of sorts) and ghosthunter that strikes a bargain with a long-dead supersoldier’s ghost: she helps him find the ghost of his partner, he gives her what she needs to gain her freedom from the shrine and priest to which she is beholden.

I stumbled on this one w
G.
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, if I’m going to be a monster, I’m going to be my own monster.

If I had to describe this novel in a sentence, it would be this: a girl and a ghost go on a trip of self-discovery. I truly think that's as much as one needs to know before delving into this book, because it's a more satisfying reading experience that way. Archivist Wasp is weird, imaginative and beautifully written. While it's categorized as YA, the narrative and plot veer far from the usual YA tropes. I've heard some people call it a dys
Max
Mar 05, 2016 added it
Jagged, complex, full of smoke and peat and mystery, with a sharp clear high finish.
aja
so i walked into this book based off the description expecting a queer retelling of the myth of orpheus and eurydice.

i did not get this.

that being said tho, this is like the only disappointment i finished reading with??? like. the world building is rly cool, the underworld is weird & surreal & creepy as hell and i LOVED it. all the lore is amazing, the different gods, the myth behind the archivist title, the brief glimpses of legends and stories that was group up
Melissa McShane
This is going on my list of favorite books this year. It's also one of the strangest, most evocative books I've read this year and one I fully intend to re-read. I'm having trouble reviewing it without just retelling the story; even explaining the background (essential to understanding what happens) takes up more time than a review ought.

The highlights: Wasp is a young woman who lives in a postapocalyptic far-future in which the religion of Catchkeep, and its priest, dominates the to
Giovanna
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
It took me three days to read this. I read Crooked Kingdom (540 pages) in two. I think that already says a lot about my reading experience.

Anyway: 3 -

Uhm...weird. Archivist Wasp isn't exactly what I expected, and not in an entirely positive way, I'm afraid.

On one hand, this is quite original, and therefore a breath of fresh air in this genre, but honestly? I had so many problems with it. It makes for an entertaining read, but that's pretty much it.

The world-building is
Brigid ✩
Short Review:

Hmm, I may have to digest this one a bit and see if it sticks with me or not. The thing is, there were things I really admired about it––interesting world-building, an intriguing backstory, some beautifully-written passages ... It was an addicting read, and though the first chunk of it was a little rough for me, for the last half of it or so I was pretty engrossed in it.

But I don't know, it just felt like something was missing? It just felt a little ... dry, I guess. A
Ryan
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
The Good:
An utterly dark, haunted setting, with some cool ideas. This is set after the apocalypse, and follows a young woman with a job that doesn’t exist yet (though I suspect anthropologists might disagree). The protagonist is badass.

The Bad:
The story is confusing. It starts out with unanswered questions and stays that way. The fantasy elements of the setting are so arbitrary that it’s hard to follow cause-and-effect. Why do things happen? Far too often this question isn’t addressed in the/>The
Lauren Stoolfire
Unique, strange, and a total gem. I need to get my hands on the sequel.
Quartzen
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm torn between four and five stars for this one, I liked it a lot. Abusive systems in a small town that persist for generations, people used as tools, a surreal underworld composed variously of forest wilderness and cityscape, memories and identity. A pleasing amount of enthusiastic weirdness, slightly more gore than I generally like but worth it.

Wasp, Archivist and living embodiment of the goddess Catchkeep, scorned by the townspeople and tormented by Catchkeep's cruel priest who
Jaime Moyer
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
I actually finished this after midnight on Monday. The entire time I was reading Archivist Wasp I kept thinking "Oh...this book. THIS BOOK." And while that--and a few oh...my heart for variety--are an actuate reflection of my response, they aren't very useful as a review. While I tend to react emotionally to books and talk about them in emotional terms, others want something more.

Yeah, I don't understand it either. Go figure.

Archivist Wasp is the story of Wasp, a young woman whose job and s/>Archivist
e
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
immediately disliked the writing - found it clunky with too much telling, especially so closely on the heels of le guin's gorgeous prose. gave it three chpts/45 pgs to pique my interest but alas, my dominant thought was that it was in sore need of a better editor
The Captain
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ahoy there me mateys! One of the many things I love about me large and diverse crew is the little-known fantastic treasures that they bring me way. This be one of them. I found out about the book from matey Sarah @ theillustratedpage. Her thoughts:

"Have you read Archivist Wasp? If you haven’t, you really should. It’s a striking, post-apocalyptic, ghost-hunting body novel that tells a deeply intense story without even a hint of romance. Latchkey is a follow-up, taking place three years later. I strongly
Roxana Chirilă
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the style. This is a strange, well-written book.

Archivist Wasp earned her position as the incarnation of the goddess Catchkeep by killing the girl who had that role before her. Every year since then, she's had to kill three girls ritualistically pitted against her, who might also become Archivists. Every year, the hair of those she defeated was braided with her own - and each victory is likely to make her slower and less capable of winning the next fight.

Her world
Kelsey
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Completely unlike anything I have ever read before. I don't know how she managed it, but Kornher-Stace was able to revive the shambling corpse that is Y.A. dystopia and turn it into something new. While everyone else was busy trying to mimic the success of The Hunger Games and Divergent, she was blowing them out of the water. And I didn't even know it until I picked this up. Wasp is an unforgettable character, and her trip into what was once the life of the Ghost and Foster is heartbreaking but ...more
The book structure 1 2 Sep 18, 2019 07:41AM
Polls for Our Souls: This topic has been closed to new comments. Polls for Our Souls topic organization 2 29 Sep 16, 2019 07:58AM

• Empress of Forever
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Aladdin: A New Translation
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
  • The Black God's Drums
  • Servant of the Underworld (Obsidian and Blood, #1)
  • Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World, #2)
  • Banthology: Stories From Banned Nations
  • The Citadel of Weeping Pearls
  • The Toll
  • Magic for Liars
  • Steel Crow Saga
Nicole Kornher-Stace was born in Philadelphia in 1983, moved from the East Coast to the West Coast and back again by the time she was five, and currently lives in New Paltz, NY, with two humans, three ferrets, and more books than strictly necessary.

Her short fiction and poetry has appeared in numerous magazines and anthologies, including Best American Fantasy, Clockwork Phoenix 3 & 4, The Ma

Archivist Wasp Saga (2 books)
  • Latchkey (Archivist Wasp Saga, #2)
“Its deadpan and her sarcasm sailed straight on past each other, strangers passing on a dark road in the night.” 9 likes
“If Wasp were writing field notes on herself, they’d read: plans attempted: 1000000 plans succeeded: 0 never learns. better off destroyed.” 5 likes