Start by marking “750 Years in Paris” as Want to Read:
750 Years in Paris

750 Years in Paris

A literary graphic novel unlike anything else on the racks, 750 Years tells the story of our time, focusing on one single building in France as it sees its way through the upheavals of history. Beginning in the thirteenth century and making its way towards today, this historically accurate story is the eagerly anticipated debut from Vincent Mahé.

Vincent Mahé is fast being
Published November 3rd 2015 by Nobrow Press (first published August 11th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about 750 Years in Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 750 Years in Paris

Jan Philipzig
Collecting 60 full-page depictions of a single Paris building over the course of 750 years, this wonderful, beautifully produced book by Vincent Mahé delivers one of the most fascinating history lessons I have ever experienced. The Crusades, the Black Death, the Great Flood, as well as various enthronements, uprisings, revolutions, wars and assassinations leave their mark, while we time-travel from the Middle Ages to the Age of Enlightenment, and then from modern to postmodern times. 750 Years i ...more
David Schaafsma
A beautiful Nobrow silent graphic novel with 60 different depictions of a single building in Paris over 750 years, from 1265 until the present, with each colorful illustration reflecting that period, that culture, that time. Because I am a US American, I struggled through which historical events were being depicted, getting a general sense of it, sometimes recognizing specific moments, until I got to the end and saw there is a timeline in the appendix, linking an event and year to each illustrat ...more
Elizabeth A
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2017, art
This lovely graphic novel is an almost wordless picture book. The unfolding of 750 years of history plays out against the back drop of a single building in France. In each illustration changes are made, and part of the delight of this book is figuring out what has changed with the building and building materials, but also what people are wearing, how are they getting around, and who are those people in the upper windows?

I recommend reading it as I did with a finger bookmarking the page in the ba
Kolby Fenner
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing

80 pages, no text, depicting the same plot of land over 750 years. It's a heady reminder of just how SHORT the timespan of history I'm used to thinking in terms of is. The nazi occupation of Paris barely merits a mention. We've seen worse than that from our own people within the last generation, and this house has seen two revolutions and a fire and still stands.
Lindsay
I loved this concept, though I do wish there were a more detailed timeline at the end.
Laura (ローラ)
Gorgeous bold contrasting colour palette, that reminds me of vintage Eastern European Children's book illustration. Who doesn't love teals and orange together?!

This title follows 1 piece of infrastructure in Paris over the period of 750 years - following a seemingly accurate depiction of architectural history. It is essentially wordless, with a very brief timeline summary on the final page.

I enjoyed the colour and illustration -- but, being a plotless and textless novel, I suspect is not somet
Maria
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is rather special. It has no words. It starts with a drawing of a building in France 750 years ago and each subsequent page travels forward in time. By the end we see the building draped with banners that say "Je Suis Charlie." The history of France is depicted through the changes in the building.

This was like the book version of Miniatur Wunderland, a museum we visited in Hamburg, Germany last year, which featured - among other things - an exhibit of a series of dioramas of a
Constance
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I feel a little guilty saying I 'read' this picture book by illustrator Vincent Mahe. When I got to the end I discovered there was a brief timeline, but otherwise it is all pictures - pictures of one building throughout 750 years of French history. I really enjoyed looking at each illustration and trying to figure out what events were taking place based on details in the picture and the year. Others might prefer to consult the timeline as they look at each picture. Much more interesting if, like ...more
Cheri
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful way to appreciate history! I became engrossed in looking at the changes -- some small, some large -- in one building in Paris over 750 years. What is being thrown out that window? Who is marching by? When did the street get paved? My biggest regret is that there is no text, save one page at the very end, to help the reader interpret what is in the pictures. Apparently the book was meticulously researched and as a reader I'd like a little more guidance in interpreting the drawing ...more
Jasmine
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Zoe's Human
This has quite wet my appetite to read some French history. It's like a picture book of war.
Edward Sullivan
Seven hundred fifty years of French history from the 14th century to the present as witnessed from the perspective of a building in Paris. Remarkable.
Twofrontteethstillcrooked
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, fascinating look at history through architecture (and life's smaller details/objects) and a beautiful use of limited palette.
Emily
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was just plain cool. A fun one to read with someone else and point things out to each other.
Josephus FromPlacitas
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty neat concept with very impressive execution. A corner of a Parisian block viewed straight on, changing from the 13th to the 21st centuries. It was a neat way to get little tastes of history, and the architectural and historical detail attention was crazy. I'm glad I got it from the library, I don't know that I'd want a copy for myself. It was a neat way to see the rise and fall of fortunes of a building and the people around it. The details of the banners and signs seemed a little more ev ...more
PickyReader
Jul 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
......Well that was useless. This summary is severely misleading. It says this book tells a story focusing on one building. Which would be great if it were like The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton.

But it's not. IT's just pictures of the same building century by century with no words. I like books with no words but I mean. This book doesn't have a story.....?!

Whatever.

Waste of paper, this book is.
Emily
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Normally, I would think a book with illustrations of drawings of the same building through the years would bore me. However, I absolutely loved this. The detail in the images was amazing and the timeline in the back helpful. This book is great for Paris, architecture, history and art lovers. It will make a great coffee table book!
Jackie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
An interesting little art project; a look at one building (or rather one plot of land and the varying structures that inhabit it) over the course of 750 years. There's a timeline in the back describing which events are being shown in each picture, which I wish I had known about in advance.

A quick charming work.
Rebecca Speas
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Really a 3.5 star rating. A lovely, wordless graphic novel that does exactly what it says on the tin: it follows one building on one block in Paris for 750 years, from its humble medieval beginnings through political upheaval, fires, revolutions, protests, wars, and rebuilding to its current, modern iteration. Gorgeous art and a really cool concept.
Stephen
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm an architecture nerd so I gravitated towards this. It tells the tale (without any words) of a single building over the course of 750 years in Paris. This book really brings home the notion that architecture reflects the times perhaps better than anything else.
Stef
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The history of a single Parisian building during the course of hundreds of years of history. I love books like these, where I compare what's different between each drawing.
Bryn (Plus Others)
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a fun graphic novel looking at a single building in Paris over 750 years of history. I liked it, but the idea interested me a lot more than the execution.
Iris
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty, but I don't know much about French history so it was a little hard to follow
Joy
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, comic, own
Wordless graphic novel
David
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Comme la art de Helen Lundeberg pour le WPA, ce livre serait una œuvre magnifique pour apprendre la histoire.
Elijah Park-Rosser
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the illustrations and the way the pictures change from year to year.
Pop Bop
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Discover Mahe Now

Vincent Mahe is a Paris-based illustrator who also is known as Mr. Bidon. His bright and crisp illustrations, informed by a lively wit, are becoming well known in Europe, (search the internet and you'll find a huge portfolio of drawings), but he was new to me. Looking over some of his published work, I was particularly taken by a series illustrating the Seven Deadly Sins and a series titled "Neighbors" that consists of very amusing views of the shenanigans taking place in the ap
Meagan
The concept for this book is fantastic. Basically, the illustrator selected one spot in Paris and illustrated its development over 750 years of history. From tiny wooden ramshackle house to multistory stone beauty, you watch it get built and rebuilt. And you see the fires, the plagues, the floods, and, of course, the revolutions. There are no words throughout, which really encourages you to pay attention to what is being shown. To notice the tiny differences (or not so tiny differences) from pic ...more
Barbara
Students of history often sigh and wonder about the stories that might be told if the walls in certain buildings could talk. In this unique offering from the United Kingdom, one building in Paris comes as close to talking as it is possible to do as it stands witness to the ever-changing course of history over almost eight centuries. Starting in 1265 as a simple pastoral setting with cows grazing on the front lawn and ending in 2015 as millions head to the street to defend freedom of speech, the ...more
La La - Everyone's Crazy Aunt
This book is spectacular! It follows a single building in Paris from 1300 to modern day. You see the building go through structural changes brought on by fires and rebuilding, changes in architectural "fashion" and upgrades, and bombing and repairing. It also shows historical happenings such as the Crusades, the French Revolution, WWI, and changes in commerce, clothing fashions, and modes of transportation. This would make a wonderful coffee table book. Also, it would be a great gift for a teen ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Miss Don't Touch Me: Complete Set
  • The Great War: July 1, 1916: The First Day of the Battle of the Somme
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • A Chinese Life
  • Fatherland
  • Tenements, Towers & Trash: An Unconventional Illustrated History of New York City
  • Hunters of the Great Forest
  • Terrorist: Gavrilo Princip, the Assassin Who Ignited World War I
  • Ghosts And Ruins
  • The Graphic Canon of Children's Literature: The World's Great Kids' Lit as Comics and Visuals (The Graphic Canon)
  • Bear Despair
  • Gold Pollen and Other Stories
  • We Are On Our Own
  • Timeline
  • The River
  • Forever Paris: 25 Walks in the Footsteps of the City's Most Illustrious Figures
  • Las meninas
  • Showa, 1939-1944: A History of Japan
Vincent Mahé is an illustrator based in Paris.
See this video - https://vimeo.com/180869145