Start by marking “Circus Mirandus” as Want to Read:
Circus Mirandus

Circus Mirandus

(Circus Mirandus #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  8,114 ratings  ·  1,497 reviews
Do you believe in magic?

Micah Tuttle does.

Even though his awful Great-Aunt Gertrudis doesn’t approve, Micah believes in the stories his dying Grandpa Ephraim tells him of the magical Circus Mirandus: the invisible tiger guarding the gates, the beautiful flying birdwoman, and the magician more powerful than any other—the Man Who Bends Light. Finally, Grandpa Ephraim offers
Published June 2nd 2015 by Dial Books (first published June 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Circus Mirandus, please sign up.
Cassie Beasley Annette, a second book is something I'm still thinking about and working on. There's more to Micah's story, and I would love to explore it. But I also…moreAnnette, a second book is something I'm still thinking about and working on. There's more to Micah's story, and I would love to explore it. But I also know I have to get it just right! I will make an announcement when I know for sure. Stay tuned!

In different news, my next book, Tumble & Blue, will be out in August.

Edited to add: The Bootlace Magician is coming out on October 1, 2019!(less)

·  8,114 ratings  ·  1,497 reviews

Rick Riordan
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Micah Tuttle's grandfather has a secret. When he was a child, he visited a magical circus, the Circus Mirandus, which changed his life forever. There he met a magician who promised him a miracle -- a miracle that has yet to be collected.

Ever since Micah's parents died, he has been raised by his grandfather Ephraim, and Micah lives for stories about the Circus Mirandus, even though his sour Aunt Gertrudis insists these stories are dangerous nonsense. Now Ephraim is dying, and he calls in his magi
Lola
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: magic, middle-grade
Let me start by telling you that this is in no way similar to The Night Circus.

Sure, in both works, there are circuses. But are there, really? This circus is just a word, just a place, just an idea.

It’s not a setting, a home, a developed concept. I can’t tell you much of what happens at this circus, because the characters are more important than the backdrop.

Which, in this case, is a shame, because there is nothing memorable about the characters. Either they are one-dimensional, or they lack un
Brandy Painter
Aug 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
I sat on this review for almost an entire week half scared to write it because almost every person I know who's read this book has raved about it. Talk about being on the outside of a popular opinion. True, due to all those five star rave reviews and Newbery buzz, I went into this with some pretty high expectations.

As I began reading Circus Mirandus, I mostly just felt underwhelmed. It is an intriguing concept, but nothing about the way it was presented gripped me. The writing is adequate but no
Andria
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I read this lovely (and moving) (and funny) book aloud to my boys. I'd often want to sit back and savor a perfect turn of phrase. Then a page later, my boys would be giggling at a description or a bit of dialogue. There were some tears shed (by all of us), but when we finished, my boys said, "I hope there's a sequel!" Thank you, dearest Cassie, for this book. We're all impatiently waiting your next.
Matthew
This was a cute little story with some neat fantasy sequences. Nothing too exciting and it didn't blow me away, but I did enjoy escaping to the circus for awhile.
Elyse Walters
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"Circus Mirandus", by Cassie Beasley, is a children's book - appropriate for ages 9-12.

Micha Tutte, 10 years old, lives with his Grandpa Ephraim. Micah's parents died when he was 4 years old. He has been growing up hearing Grandpa's magical Circus Mirandus stories
and absolutely loves them.

When Micha's Grandpa gets sick- his Aunt Gertrudis (grandpa's sister), comes to live
with them. Micha was hoping she would be as much fun as his Grandpa. She wasn't.
Micha thought she was as bitter like the b
Dov Zeller
Micah Tuttle lives with his wheezing, dying, loving and magical grandfather, Ephraim. Ephraim is magical in two senses of the word. He is both an adult with the playful, mischievous spirit often associated with childhood, and he is someone who has magical talents that, had they been nurtured when he was younger, could have led him to the life of a full-fledged magical practitioner. Instead, he worked a steady unmagical gig and raised a son (there is more to this story), and after Micah's parents ...more
Arlene
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Magical and enchanting.

A perfect adventure for any young reader looking to explore the world of magic and the possibilities of miracles.

Circus Mirandus is in the business of nurturing magic in the world. It is an inspirer of children that is overflowing with magical animals and performers. Entry into the circus is a special ticket that only works if you believe in magic. Micah Tuttle has grown up believing in Circus Mirandus. He’s lived with his Grandpa Ephraim since he was four years old and
Liviania
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I suspected I would like CIRCUS MIRANDUS from the moment I picked it up. Magical circuses are hard to resist, after all. And it's such a beautiful book - the stepback image of two children inside a flying woman and a parrot and a white tiger is lovely. I was delighted that it is an accurate promise of what was inside. The child inside me adores an accurate cover.

Micah Tuttle is in fifth grade and still believes in magic. His grandfather, who he lives with, has told him about the Circus Mirandus
Jeff Raymond
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Closer to a 3.5.

Sometimes comparisons for books can be a bit of a death knell right from the start. At a conference I was at recently, this book was quickly one of the more popular options both for the excellent cover treatment and the very obvious comparison to being The Night Circus for kids. The Night Circus was a truly wonderful read, and while Circus Mirandus is solid in its own right, the comparison is only sort of apt.

At its base, the tale is about a magical circus that a child's grandfat
Linda
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's a marvelous story, ended way too soon. "You never need an invitation to go home." After the awesome twitter chat with lots of good people excited about this book, I want to share my excitement too. The story is magical, will please so many kids who are in the midst of non-belief, maybe holding on to some magic from early childhood. Magical realism is what many call this kind of story, but there is a time when special relationships can hold magic, like this one between Grandpa Ephraim and th ...more
Dana Jones
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written with the reader obviously in mind. A tale about coping, magic and following your heart. The ending so full of future, as if the story continues within me with ease. I want to live at Circus Mirandus now having experienced it. Thank you Cassie Beasley for this delightfully emotional journey.
Liza Nahas
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This reminded me of what a kids version of The Night Circus might be. Loved the magical realism and the fact that one can only find the circus if one believes in magic. Great tale of the bond between grandparent & grandchild.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
When I started reading this book, I felt a kinship between Circus Mirandus and the Night Circus. Both books - though different - touched me in a similar way. Beautiful writing, beautifully magical.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
This book was magical and lovely. I completely loved it and may have shed a tear or two. Just beautiful.

Review to come.
Debbie Ohi
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-middle-grade
Finished this middle grade book on the weekend. It was one of those experiences where I was enjoying the book soooo much that I began reading slower when I got to the last few chapters because I DIDN'T WANT IT TO END. This would make a fantastic read aloud.

I loved everything about this book. EVERYTHING.

p.s. If you have a copy of the book, don't forget to look under the dust jacket!!!!
Mary Lee
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So happy to have had a rainy summer morning and a comfy couch and a book that wouldn't let go of me, even when the tears were rolling down my cheeks and into my ears.
Barb Middleton
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friendship, grief
This book is like a slow boiling pot of noodles. I'm always impatient for the quiet pool of water to heat up. I forget about it and then suddenly boiling water is rushing unexpectedly to the top, steam hissing as it touches the dry sides of the metal pan before spilling over the edge onto the burner. "Circus Mirandus" simmers at the start with the nasty Aunt Gertrudis that cruelly manipulates her nephew, fifth grader Micah, from seeing his dying grandfather. The story erupts at the end with oodl ...more
Kimberly
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is absolutely lovely, charming, and heartwarming book. It's also a quick and relative light read. There is definitely some sadness and some dark moments (Victoria, man, wtf?!) but the ending is like pure warm fuzzies. I thought it was delightful.

I chose it for my middle school book discussion group at work, and I am curious to see what the kids will say.
C-shaw
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A sweet fantasy story about the importance of magic in people's lives.
Pamela
It's no big secret that I don't like circuses. Circi? Whatever, I don't speak Latin. What I do speak is the language of a strong, visceral dislike of clowns and a hatred of animal mistreatment. Oh, and also the fetishization and commercialization of persons with disabilities as "freak show" members.

But have no fear. Circus Mirandus is a perfectly lovely, charming book. It's not so much about the titular circus as it is about the bond between family members and the power of faith. When I say fait
Ms. Yingling
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
ARC from Baker and Taylor

Micah is happy living with his grandfather Ephraim, who tells him wonderful stories of the magic Circus Mirandus, but when his grandfather falls ill, he has to put up with his great aunt Gertrudis, who is bitter and no fun. Calling on the help of his friend Jenny, who is working on a history project with him, he tries to figure out if the Circus Mirandus is real. It turns out it is, and his grandfather taught The Man Who Bends Light (aka the Lightbender) a magic trick wi
Meredith
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This was like "Howl's Moving Castle" meets "Big Fish."

I liked it, but it was a TMMP (too many moving parts) kind of book. I think that it needed to be about twice as long and include more backstory and character development. I was left feeling especially dissatisfied with the lack of information about the character of Mirandus Head. So, he's a magical Santa Claus/Guardian of Childhood/God-type character who runs a circus that only special kids can see? Please, tell me more about that! Don't just
Leanne C
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you had asked me, around page 85, what I had thought of the book so far - I would have said it was okay. The last half of the book, however, blew me away.
What I loved about this book:
1) A circus manager that looks a bit like Santa, "if Santa Claus had a buzz cut and sharp eyes and liked to wear his sleeves rolled up to show off his biceps."
2) A cheeky parrot named Chintzy who has a weakness for peanut butter crackers (that, strangely, sounded like Angela Lansbury in my head)
3) A smart frie
Lynn Roulstone
May 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am amazed at the number of five star reviews, have people not read any good fantasy lately that they think this is top notch. I found it annoying in that the magic seemed to be shoe-horned into what could have potentially been a good story about a child having to face the death of his grandfather. As it was there was far too much telling and not enough showing, I couldn't get a handle on how the magic worked and the characters were on the whole flat and un-developed.
Despite all that I think th
Skip
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A kind of sad story for middle school readers about a young boy, who believes in magic, with a dying grandfather. I figured out the too-obvious "miracle" about 25% into the book. And while Micah, Ephraim, Lightbender, and Jane the elephant were good characters, I did not care for Great Aunt Gertrudis or the birdwoman. Great book cover and wrapper. Read Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory instead.
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quick easy read that's perfect for age 9-11. I thought it was unique, charming, and magical. Very fun! Would be great to read aloud along with a child.
KWinks
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Listened to this on our road trip to Ohio (WGI 2018). It was fabulous! We were actually riveted for 6 hours! My 20 year old daughter was yelling at the car stereo "What? What is the miracle?" Haha!
Enchanting and magical and special and laugh out loud funny!
Lauren
Circus Mirandus is, by far, one of the best books that I have read in a long time. The debut novel from Cassie Beasley explores what it means to have unshakeable faith and love in the face of what seems to be beyond belief. It is, in short, an absolutely stunning release. I simply cannot recommend it enough.

To begin with, the writing is absolutely gorgeous. I was not even ten pages in before I was totally taken in by the story. This was, I believe, largely due to the engaging writing style an
Suad Shamma
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2015
This book took me back to Roald Dahl and the magic in his novels. There was always the innocent, determined child, the grandparent, the ally, the evil family member, and the magical world of...well, in this case, Circus Mirandus.

Micah Tuttle is that child, and his grandfather Ephraim, who has raised him his whole life and is his only surviving family member (aside from his cruel aunt), is now dying. Aunt Gertrude pretty much stomps into their lives, upsetting their entire home, in an effort to
Around the Year i...: Circus Mirandus, by Cassie Beasley 3 26 Feb 14, 2016 12:32AM
2017 Reading Chal...: Circus Mirandus 1 17 Dec 09, 2015 07:07PM
Mock Newbery 2020: August Read - Circus Mirandus 25 179 Nov 28, 2015 10:28AM

• Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer (Unusual Chickens #1)
  • The Water Castle
  • The Way to Stay in Destiny
  • Nightingale's Nest
  • Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
  • Circa Now
  • The Creature of the Pines (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #1)
  • Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster
  • Stef Soto, Taco Queen
Author of Circus Mirandus, Tumble & Blue, and The Bootlace Magician .

Hi there! And thanks for reading!

Exciting news:

The Bootlace Magician is coming on October 1! I'm so, so, so happy about this story. It's the sequel to Circus Mirandus, and I feel like this one is for readers who finished that book and thought, "Okay, I'm ready for more of the circus, more of Micah learning about his talent,

Circus Mirandus (2 books)
  • The Bootlace Magician (Circus Mirandus, #2)
“You never need an invitation to go home.” 14 likes
“Just because a magic is small doesn't mean it is unimportant. Even the smallest magics can grow." -The Lightbender” 11 likes