Start by marking “Circus Mirandus” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  5,740 Ratings  ·  1,165 Reviews
Fans of Big Fish, Peter Pan, and Roald Dahl will fall in love with Circus Mirandus, which celebrates the power of seeing magic in world.

Do you believe in magic?

Micah Tuttle does.

Even though his awful Great-Aunt Gertrudis doesn’t approve, Micah believes in the stories his dying Grandpa Ephraim tells him of the magical Circus Mirandus: the invisible tiger guarding the gates
Published June 2nd 2015 by Dial Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 02, 2015
    *Signed Copy of the NYT Bestseller*

Invisible tigers, a flying Bird Woman, the mysterious Man Who Bends Light--Micah loves his grandfather's stories ab

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 2 copies available, 1246 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 21 - Jun 02, 2017

Countries available: US, CA, and UM more

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Circus Mirandus, please sign up.

Cassie Beasley Annette, a second book is something I'm still thinking about and working on. There's more to Micah's story, and I would love to explore it. But I also…moreAnnette, a second book is something I'm still thinking about and working on. There's more to Micah's story, and I would love to explore it. But I also know I have to get it just right! I will make an announcement when I know for sure. Stay tuned!

In different news, my next book, Tumble & Blue, will be out in August. :)(less)

Rick Riordan
    Dec 28, 2015 Rick Riordan rated it it was amazing
    Micah Tuttle's grandfather has a secret. When he was a child, he visited a magical circus, the Circus Mirandus, which changed his life forever. There he met a magician who promised him a miracle -- a miracle that has yet to be collected.

Ever since Micah's parents died, he has been raised by his grandfather Ephraim, and Micah lives for stories about the Circus Mirandus, even though his sour Aunt Gertrudis insists these stories are dangerous nonsense. Now Ephraim is dying, and he calls in his magi
    Brandy Painter
    Aug 12, 2015 Brandy Painter rated it did not like it
    Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
    I sat on this review for almost an entire week half scared to write it because almost every person I know who's read this book has raved about it. Talk about being on the outside of a popular opinion. True, due to all those five star rave reviews and Newbery buzz, I went into this with some pretty high expectations.

As I began reading Circus Mirandus, I mostly just felt underwhelmed. It is an intriguing concept, but nothing about the way it was presented gripped me. The writing is adequate but no
    Elyse
    Jun 02, 2015 Elyse rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    "Circus Mirandus", by Cassie Beasley, is a children's book - appropriate for ages 9-12.

Micha Tutte, 10 years old, lives with his Grandpa Ephraim. Micah's parents died when he was 4 years old. He has been growing up hearing Grandpa's magical Circus Mirandus stories
    and absolutely loves them.

When Micha's Grandpa gets sick- his Aunt Gertrudis (grandpa's sister), comes to live
    with them. Micha was hoping she would be as much fun as his Grandpa. She wasn't.
    Micha thought she was as bitter like the b
    Andria
    Mar 02, 2015 Andria rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2015
    I read this lovely (and moving) (and funny) book aloud to my boys. I'd often want to sit back and savor a perfect turn of phrase. Then a page later, my boys would be giggling at a description or a bit of dialogue. There were some tears shed (by all of us), but when we finished, my boys said, "I hope there's a sequel!" Thank you, dearest Cassie, for this book. We're all impatiently waiting your next.
    Matthew
    This was a cute little story with some neat fantasy sequences. Nothing too exciting and it didn't blow me away, but I did enjoy escaping to the circus for awhile.
    Dov Zeller
    Micah Tuttle lives with his wheezing, dying, loving and magical grandfather, Ephraim. Ephraim is magical in two senses of the word. He is both an adult with the playful, mischievous spirit often associated with childhood, and he is someone who has magical talents that, had they been nurtured when he was younger, could have led him to the life of a full-fledged magical practitioner. Instead, he worked a steady unmagical gig and raised a son (there is more to this story), and after Micah's parents ...more
    Liviania
    Jun 24, 2015 Liviania rated it it was amazing
    I suspected I would like CIRCUS MIRANDUS from the moment I picked it up. Magical circuses are hard to resist, after all. And it's such a beautiful book - the stepback image of two children inside a flying woman and a parrot and a white tiger is lovely. I was delighted that it is an accurate promise of what was inside. The child inside me adores an accurate cover.

Micah Tuttle is in fifth grade and still believes in magic. His grandfather, who he lives with, has told him about the Circus Mirandus
    Arlene
    Sep 14, 2015 Arlene rated it really liked it
    Magical and enchanting.

A perfect adventure for any young reader looking to explore the world of magic and the possibilities of miracles.

Circus Mirandus is in the business of nurturing magic in the world. It is an inspirer of children that is overflowing with magical animals and performers. Entry into the circus is a special ticket that only works if you believe in magic. Micah Tuttle has grown up believing in Circus Mirandus. He’s lived with his Grandpa Ephraim since he was four years old and
    Linda
    Jun 04, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
    It's a marvelous story, ended way too soon. "You never need an invitation to go home." After the awesome twitter chat with lots of good people excited about this book, I want to share my excitement too. The story is magical, will please so many kids who are in the midst of non-belief, maybe holding on to some magic from early childhood. Magical realism is what many call this kind of story, but there is a time when special relationships can hold magic, like this one between Grandpa Ephraim and th ...more
    Jeff Raymond
    Aug 02, 2015 Jeff Raymond rated it really liked it
    Closer to a 3.5.

Sometimes comparisons for books can be a bit of a death knell right from the start. At a conference I was at recently, this book was quickly one of the more popular options both for the excellent cover treatment and the very obvious comparison to being The Night Circus for kids. The Night Circus was a truly wonderful read, and while Circus Mirandus is solid in its own right, the comparison is only sort of apt.

At its base, the tale is about a magical circus that a child's grandfat
    Liza Nahas
    Jul 14, 2015 Liza Nahas rated it really liked it
    This reminded me of what a kids version of The Night Circus might be. Loved the magical realism and the fact that one can only find the circus if one believes in magic. Great tale of the bond between grandparent & grandchild.
    Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
    When I started reading this book, I felt a kinship between Circus Mirandus and the Night Circus. Both books - though different - touched me in a similar way. Beautiful writing, beautifully magical.
    Maria Espadinha
    Jun 24, 2016 Maria Espadinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    O Milagre Prometido

No Circus Mirandus um bilhete cordel dá para duas horas mas se fôr um peixe prateado já dá para uma semana.

No Circus Mirandus há um Sábio Dobrador de Luz que faz Milagres e tem uma papagaia mensageira que adora biscoitos de limão e emite um som malcriado predilecto - ronco simultâneo com fungadela.

No Circus Mirandus há um tigre invisível a guardar os portões, elefantes Einstein capazes de cálculos geniais e uma linda mulher pássaro que até voa e tudo!

No Circus Mirandus há Magi
    Debbie Ohi
    Aug 02, 2015 Debbie Ohi rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: mg-middle-grade
    Finished this middle grade book on the weekend. It was one of those experiences where I was enjoying the book soooo much that I began reading slower when I got to the last few chapters because I DIDN'T WANT IT TO END. This would make a fantastic read aloud.

I loved everything about this book. EVERYTHING.

p.s. If you have a copy of the book, don't forget to look under the dust jacket!!!!
    Dana Jones
    Jul 07, 2015 Dana Jones rated it it was amazing
    Beautifully written with the reader obviously in mind. A tale about coping, magic and following your heart. The ending so full of future, as if the story continues within me with ease. I want to live at Circus Mirandus now having experienced it. Thank you Cassie Beasley for this delightfully emotional journey.
    Mary Lee
    Jun 16, 2015 Mary Lee rated it it was amazing
    So happy to have had a rainy summer morning and a comfy couch and a book that wouldn't let go of me, even when the tears were rolling down my cheeks and into my ears.
    Barb Middleton
    Oct 17, 2015 Barb Middleton rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: friendship, grief
    This book is like a slow boiling pot of noodles. I'm always impatient for the quiet pool of water to heat up. I forget about it and then suddenly boiling water is rushing unexpectedly to the top, steam hissing as it touches the dry sides of the metal pan before spilling over the edge onto the burner. "Circus Mirandus" simmers at the start with the nasty Aunt Gertrudis that cruelly manipulates her nephew, fifth grader Micah, from seeing his dying grandfather. The story erupts at the end with oodl ...more
    Ms. Yingling
    Apr 26, 2015 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
    ARC from Baker and Taylor

Micah is happy living with his grandfather Ephraim, who tells him wonderful stories of the magic Circus Mirandus, but when his grandfather falls ill, he has to put up with his great aunt Gertrudis, who is bitter and no fun. Calling on the help of his friend Jenny, who is working on a history project with him, he tries to figure out if the Circus Mirandus is real. It turns out it is, and his grandfather taught The Man Who Bends Light (aka the Lightbender) a magic trick wi
    Meredith
    Jun 24, 2015 Meredith rated it liked it
    This was like "Howl's Moving Castle" meets "Big Fish."

I liked it, but it was a TMMP (too many moving parts) kind of book. I think that it needed to be about twice as long and include more backstory and character development. I was left feeling especially dissatisfied with the lack of information about the character of Mirandus Head. So, he's a magical Santa Claus/Guardian of Childhood/God-type character who runs a circus that only special kids can see? Please, tell me more about that! Don't just
    Leanne C
    Feb 02, 2016 Leanne C rated it it was amazing
    If you had asked me, around page 85, what I had thought of the book so far - I would have said it was okay. The last half of the book, however, blew me away.
    What I loved about this book:
    1) A circus manager that looks a bit like Santa, "if Santa Claus had a buzz cut and sharp eyes and liked to wear his sleeves rolled up to show off his biceps."
    2) A cheeky parrot named Chintzy who has a weakness for peanut butter crackers (that, strangely, sounded like Angela Lansbury in my head)
    3) A smart frie
    Amanda(manduhpaigereads)
    Jul 27, 2016 Amanda(manduhpaigereads) rated it really liked it
    This book was such a fun, whimsical read! The writing was wonderful, and the plot and characters were well developed. I absolutely loved the magic of Circus Mirandus and the fun adventure this story takes us on. I never expect a lot from middle grade novels, I just expect a fun and easy read, but Circus Mirandus definitely exceeding any expectations I did have. This will be a great read for children from ages 9-12 to read on their own, or if you're looking for a fun book to read to your kids loo ...more
    Lynn Roulstone
    May 31, 2015 Lynn Roulstone rated it it was ok
    I am amazed at the number of five star reviews, have people not read any good fantasy lately that they think this is top notch. I found it annoying in that the magic seemed to be shoe-horned into what could have potentially been a good story about a child having to face the death of his grandfather. As it was there was far too much telling and not enough showing, I couldn't get a handle on how the magic worked and the characters were on the whole flat and un-developed.
    Despite all that I think th
    Skip
    Aug 30, 2016 Skip rated it liked it
    Shelves: fantasy
    A kind of sad story for middle school readers about a young boy, who believes in magic, with a dying grandfather. I figured out the too-obvious "miracle" about 25% into the book. And while Micah, Ephraim, Lightbender, and Jane the elephant were good characters, I did not care for Great Aunt Gertrudis or the birdwoman. Great book cover and wrapper. Read Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory instead.
    Erik
    Oct 12, 2016 Erik marked it as cannot-finish
    Takze zasa, DNF na strane 80 -- krasny jazyk, krasne slova, vsetko super ale kde je nejaká akcia??? Ved je to pre detského čitateľa pre boha svätého!!!
    Jun 03, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
    Quick easy read that's perfect for age 9-11. I thought it was unique, charming, and magical. Very fun! Would be great to read aloud along with a child.
    Sanja_Sanjalica
    Apr 09, 2017 Sanja_Sanjalica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: children-and-ya
    Jako lijepa i topla priča sa maštovitim elementima.
    Ono što je definitivno omelo čitanje je samo izdanje knjige u kojoj su stranice bile pomiješane i neke su se ponavljale, što svakako treba popraviti ili povući ovo izdanje.

Lauren
    Circus Mirandus is, by far, one of the best books that I have read in a long time. The debut novel from Cassie Beasley explores what it means to have unshakeable faith and love in the face of what seems to be beyond belief. It is, in short, an absolutely stunning release. I simply cannot recommend it enough.

To begin with, the writing is absolutely gorgeous. I was not even ten pages in before I was totally taken in by the story. This was, I believe, largely due to the engaging writing style and
    Suad Shamma
    Oct 28, 2015 Suad Shamma rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: own, 2015
    This book took me back to Roald Dahl and the magic in his novels. There was always the innocent, determined child, the grandparent, the ally, the evil family member, and the magical world of...well, in this case, Circus Mirandus.

Micah Tuttle is that child, and his grandfather Ephraim, who has raised him his whole life and is his only surviving family member (aside from his cruel aunt), is now dying. Aunt Gertrude pretty much stomps into their lives, upsetting their entire home, in an effort to
    Mary Ann
    Feb 14, 2015 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
    Right away, I can sense a book is special by noticing my students' reactions. Whenever I've asked my 5th graders who've read Circus Mirandus how they like it, they start smiling and there's a twinkle in their eyes. OK, it sounds corny when I write it down, but you can feel the magic, the friendship, the hope they find in this book.

Ever since he was a little boy, Micah has heard stories from his grandfather about the magical Circus Mirandus and the Lightbender who promised him a miracle. Now that
    Ricki
    Jun 18, 2015 Ricki rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    I was only a few pages in when I knew this book would be special. I was captivated by the beautifully described setting and the words that seemed to dance off the pages. This book is about magic, but the writing is quite magical in itself. I usually give my ARCs away, but I am hanging on to this copy because I plan to read it to my son when he is a bit older. I'll likely buy another copy because I am eager to see the illustrations! I suspect that this text will create lifelong readers. It belong ...more
    Around the Year i...: Circus Mirandus, by Cassie Beasley 3 20 Feb 14, 2016 12:32AM
    2017 Reading Chal...: Circus Mirandus 1 16 Dec 09, 2015 07:07PM
    Mock Newbery 2018: August Read - Circus Mirandus 25 177 Nov 28, 2015 10:28AM
    • Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer
    • The Terrible Two (The Terrible Two, #1)
    • The Wild Robot (The Wild Robot, #1)
    • The Key to Extraordinary
    • Gabriel Finley and the Raven's Riddle
    • All the Answers
    • Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
    • Lost in the Sun
    • The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher (Family Fletcher, #1)
    • Nightingale's Nest
    • Circa Now
    • The Witch's Boy
    • When the Sea Turned to Silver
    • The Night Gardener
    I'm the author of Circus Mirandus and Tumble & Blue (out August 2017!)

In a few months Circus Mirandus will celebrate its second anniversary! Time flies, and I'm still shocked every day that I get to do this wonderful thing. Writing books is the best.

Tumble & Blue is that story I've been talking about for the past couple of years. It's set in the Okefenokee Swamp. It's about a girl called
    More about Cassie Beasley...

“You never need an invitation to go home.” 13 likes
    “Just because a magic is small doesn't mean it is unimportant. Even the smallest magics can grow." -The Lightbender” 9 likes