Start by marking “The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users” as Want to Read:
The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users

The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users

From the bestselling author of  The Art of the Start  and  Enchantment, a no-nonsense guide to becoming a social media superstar.

By now it’s clear that whether you’re promoting a business, a product, or yourself, social media is near the top of what will determine your success or failure. And there are countless pundits, authors, and consultants eager to advise you.

But
Published December 4th 2014 by Portfolio (first published January 1st 2014)

Kathy
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I attended a conference last month up north. One of the classes I attended was on social media marketing. Guy Kawasaki was mentioned in that class so when I saw this book was available on Netgalley I downloaded and read it.

The version of the book I got from netgalley did not have any links in it. This would have been so much better if I would have had the ability to click the links and be able to visually see the pages and examples he was referring to. This problem should not occur from anyone b
Arshia
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a fairly good book for what it is. An overview of and a general guide to the different social media platforms and how to use them most effectively. More a 3.5 than a 3.

Although this book may seem a tad mundane for those more digitally inclined, it served as a valuable book for me -- a person who is in the dark about social media and a bit shy about "online presence".

This book offers good ideas and step by step guides for maximizing total exposure online by combining most or all of the pl
Carin Clark
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In The Art of Social Media, Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick deliver valuable, actionable tips that will help you succeed in bringing value to your followers and making meaningful connections online.

What I liked the most…
It’s not a basic how-to. As the subtitle would suggest, this book is packed with power tips for power users. Tips for how you should link your content across platforms {without being spammy and failing to consider the different rules of engagement} and for perfecting your intera
Mallie Hart
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
I absolutely loved APE and I still talk about it when someone asks about a good business read for marketers and budding authors.

I keep seeing everyone say that this isn't a book for beginners, but I feel that everything said in this book has already been said and already said well (better) by others.

There are a few gems by Peg, especially her process, but otherwise, I just didn't think the book added anything to the discussion.
Mihai  Chindris
It was enjoyable. Although it didn't cover all the social media platforms that are out there, it covered at least the major ones. Guy and Peg really know their stuff and it's helpful to implement their tips and tricks, cause they truly work. As the author says, in an ideal world, you would also have to come up with ideas, which you should share, that could boost your presence and influence online. And he's right. That's how it works. Sharing is caring.
Judy
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: back-to-business
This book failed to meet its purpose which was to enable me to rock social media. Well, the gotcha word is “enable” because I need to learn to follow all of the 123 numbered tips and tricks, some of which are just a paragraph long and lack any depth. Don’t get me wrong--I learned quite a few guidelines but some I questioned like:
“If you’re not pissing people off on social media, you’re not using it right.”
I was expecting a few more case studies and statistics to substantiate these tips, tricks
Harley
I first became involved with social media in 2009 when I joined Goodreads and it remains to this day one of my most favorite sites. I wish I had had it 50 years ago so I could have an accurate record of the books I have read. The second site I joined was LinkedIn which I am also a big fan of and wish I had it 40 years ago when I got into business. I have since joined Twitter, Facebook, SlideShare, YouTube, SoundCloud and Google+. I have written a blog since 2010. So I have been active on social ...more
Colleen McKenna
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Art of Social Media is like a master class in social. I appreciate how Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitpatrick arranged the book and included the option to go deeper with all the hyperlinks. The easy to follow power tips make sense and really provide the insight and path to go to the next level.

This is a reference guide that everyone on the social spectrum can benefit from. Not everyone will do everything but I think people will realize that social media is more than they realize. This is particul
Nicki Markus
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-non-fiction
The Art of Social Media is an easy read that offers tips and tricks on making social media work from a business perspective. It is aimed at the absolute beginner and so a few of the comments felt obvious to me. That said, I did pick up a few handy hints that I will try to incorporate into my own social media presence - particularly when I have a new book release coming up.

If you are starting out in social media for business promotion, this book will be a good starting point to set you on the rig
Raoul S.
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Good, straight-to-the-point advice for vastly improving your social media skills. However, most of it is just common sense. And I'm also doubting the "art" in the title; didn't find anything but technical stuff.
Ruel
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Co-authors Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick are masters of social media, so expectations were high upon receiving my advanced e-book copy of The Art of Social Media. Thankfully, it lived up to the “no-nonsense” billing in its description: this straightforward nut-and-bolts guide to optimizing social media strategies and increasing one’s social media presence will be appreciated by power users and casual enthusiasts alike.

I’ve been following Kawasaki and Fitzpatrick for years on Google+; not surp
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This isn't a book for social media newbies, but rather for those who have been in the online marketing trenches for at least a little while. Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick have provided excellent guidelines for taking your digital marketing to the next level in a very easy-to-understand format.

This is a book I will turn to again and again as a reference. I like the no-nonsense approach and lack of fluff. You can tell these authors really know what they're talking about and they are trustworthy
Silvino Santos
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is very accessible, is oriented to be useful and practical in building our online strategy, personal and professional. It is an essential guide for anyone starting in Social Media and an essential reference for anyone who is promoting itself online presence!
This book reflects the authors' experience, through suggestions and practical tips easy to implement. Was thought to with clear guidance for action, namely: Do it yourself!
Alice
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I don't feel like I am a social media wiz - although I'd love to be one, or I would have chosen another reading - but i haven't found anything i didn't know already. Or maybe i did find between the lines something that's not that obvious: to rock social media you need to be persistent and patient, something you don't always have the luxury to be. Nonetheless, the ebook version has the perk to have linked in a lot of useful resources, a really nice plus.
Steph Myers
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's hard for me to say I loved this book, but I will say it is an easy and quick read. It wasn't an "I want to read" so much as an "I need to read" title. Guy is quickly becoming ubiquitous in social media circles. He definitely knows his stuff and I like that he has created something that is essentially a bulleted reference book. It would be one to keep by the desk for a while when ramping up social media activity.
Amber
Oct 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, abandoned
How to become a social media superstar? Just starting this out of sheer curiosity and the fact that it was free on NetGalley. Unconvinced that there will be no fluff between the covers.
Melanie
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for people who works with social media. I liked it because is easy and straight to the point.
Imran  Ahmed
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
The Art of Social Media is an easy read. The book is organized using clear headings and subheadings allowing readers to skip sections not relevant to their interests. The book is aimed at sophisticated social media users with a general grasp of most social media platforms. Nonetheless, it is worthwhile even for novices who wish to improve their social media footprint.

Like many such books, this one provides lots of referrals to applications and sites which help to optimize one’s usage of specifi
Jay
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, audiobook
While I thought I was pretty well rounded when it comes to the use of social media for my work, I realize after just a few minutes of listening to this audiobook that I’m just a layman. I learned a number of things, and only ran across a few things that were obvious. There’s a mix of content that is evergreen and content that might have a shorter shelf life, including lists of companies offering content. I will find value in both. I am torn over how I feel about the audio version. There is good ...more
Elaine
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, business
Guy Kawasaki is an engrossing speaker and thinker and the vast majority of what he has to say I will listen to. The book is a slim volume, with numerous pages with pictures/screen shots of web pages. In other words, think limited power tips, and not necessarily for power users. The book is heavy on ideas for twitter and facebook, praises google+ extensively, hawks his news aggregator site in multiple places, and treats LinkedIn as if it is an unwanted invitation to the party. Pinterest is given ...more
Lis Carey
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, non-fiction
Guy Kawasaki has been in the forefront of effective promotion of products, services, and one's own skills and talents since his days as the Chief Evangelist for the Apple Macintosh, when personal computers were the exciting new toy and not an appliance we all carry in our pockets. Instead of being left behind by the rapidly changing world of online computing and social media, he has remained a leader, and has become of a great teacher of how to use the same skills and tools for your own benefit. ...more
Jo Miller
Recommended to Jo by: Peg Fitzpatrick
The Art of Social Media Power Tips for Power Users by Guy Kawasaki
The Art of Social Media is filled with a practical and easy to use information. Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick have given us a map to social media, as it is right now. Whether you are new to social media or you are looking to fast track to the next level with your existing social media strategy, you will find useful up-to-date and step-by-step guides, tips and tools in the Art of Social Media.

Reading the Art of Social Media was like sitting down with a mentor and getting the inside scoop. Guy
Naomi
Nov 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
1.5 Stars

Unlike Mr. Kawasaki's book, APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur. How to Publish a Book, I felt that there were critical element missing to this book. The better chunk of the pieces were there, but it was put together in a very sloppy manner.

Furthermore, as someone who is on social media and works with authors in social media consultation, I felt there were critical elements missing, such as follower purchasing. He dealt with abuse on social media but very superficially. Since this is
Nina
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Guy is smart and knows how to create a good book with a solid backbone on most any subject. What makes this book really good is the partner he picked to collaborate with. This seems to be Guy’s m.o. in writing books, and he picked a great co-writer in his prior book APE as well.

He and co-writerPeg Fitzpatrick have created a book that spells out how to use social media for beginners and more advanced users. I consider myself an advance user and yet learned a lot of good tips and how to develop a
Jack Bobeck
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Guy and Peg, as they refer to themselves spell out that this book is not the "be-all, end-all" book on social marketing. Instead they essentially discuss all that they would recommend someone in social marketing do, then they show how the publicized this book using all of those techniques. Its a great way to talk the talk, then walk the walk.

I have bookmarked all the pages during my initial read, will now go back and read over the bookmarked ideas. So many great ideas for Facebook,
Halley Suitt
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Art of Social Media is like a great workout at the gym -- you might find it tough to really embrace all the hard work the authors recommend here, but if you do, you'll be a buff, strong power user of social media. I see some lack luster reviews here, so I wonder if these folks actually read the book. It's so full of good stuff! It will get into into perfect shape to go out there and kick some serious social media butt. I loved APE (Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur) and this will be a companio ...more
Jeff Sieh
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've been a big fan of Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick and have followed them on social media for a while now and this book doesn't disappoint. Small business owners, marketing professionals, and individuals wanting to raise their social media game to the next level will find this book invaluable.

I actually found myself going to the index and clicking through the different examples for the different social platforms and going, "Did that…didn't do that...going to try that." Even if you've been i
Devika
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great tips for someone trying to understand which social media avenues to focus on and how. It's not a fun read, but shares great resources so seems more text book-ish.

I couldn't make the most of this book because I had a printed copy. Kawasaki shares a lot of links to explore so would recommend that anyone wanting to read gets hold of an ebook.

Would recommend reading this with Gary Vaynerchuk's Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook.
Joseph Serrago
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I honestly could only get through the first three and a half chapters. Compared to enchantment or art of the start this one falls extraordinarily short. The thing of the matter is is that it didn't read like a book everything was a numbered sections kind of like if they just collected a bunch of status updates and micro post together. It just read like a giant list of tips. There was nothing really that tied everything together.
Don Corcoran
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent resource! I took notes while reading it and created pages and pages of tips, dos and don'ts. Get the electronic version because it's chock full of direct links that expand this book from under 200 pages to likely a thousand pages of content. This is more than just a book you read. It's on my desk to be referee red to over and over.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Eqra'a: The Role of Social Media in Promoting Library Attendance 3 6 Apr 26, 2019 10:01PM

• The Power of Visual Storytelling: How to Use Visuals, Videos, and Social Media to Market Your Brand
  • The New Relationship Marketing: How to Build a Large, Loyal, Profitable Network Using the Social Web
  • Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content
  • Smashing WordPress: Beyond the Blog
  • Nicely Said: Writing for the Web with Style and Purpose
  • The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations
  • Reading Matters: What the Research Reveals about Reading, Libraries, and Community
  • Smashwords Style Guide
  • StoryBranding: Creating Stand-Out Brands Through The Power of Story
  • Convert!: Designing Web Sites to Increase Traffic and Conversion
  • Write Every Day: How to Write Faster, and Write More (Rock Your Writing, #4)
  • Google+ for Business: How Google's Social Network Changes Everything
  • The Content Code: Six essential strategies to ignite your content, your marketing, and your business
  • Zarrella's Hierarchy of Contagiousness: The Science, Design, and Engineering of Contagious Ideas
  • Epic Content Marketing: How to Tell a Different Story, Break Through the Clutter, and Win More Customers by Marketing Less
  • The Fortune Cookie Principle: The 20 Keys to a Great Brand Story and Why Your Business Needs One
  • Real-Time Marketing & PR: How to Instantly Engage Your Market, Connect with Customers, and Create Products That Grow Your Business Now
  • No Bullshit Social Media: The All-Business, No-Hype Guide to Social Media Marketing
I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1954. My family lived in a tough part of Honolulu called Kalihi Valley. We weren’t rich, but I never felt poor-because my mother and father made many sacrifices for my sister and me. My mother was a housewife, and my father was a fireman, real estate broker, state senator, and government official during his long, distinguished career.

I attended Iolani School where
“The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can’t read them. MARK TWAIN” 3 likes
“Don’t take anything personally. Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering. DON MIGUEL RUIZ, THE FOUR AGREEMENTS: A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO PERSONAL FREEDOM” 2 likes