Start by marking “The Awakening and Selected Stories of Kate Chopin” as Want to Read:
The Awakening and Selected Stories of Kate Chopin

The Awakening and Selected Stories of Kate Chopin

The Awakening and Selected Stories of Kate Chopin.
Published May 5th 2015 by Signet (first published April 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Awakening and Selected Stories of Kate Chopin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awakening and Selected Stories of Kate Chopin

Start your review of The Awakening and Selected Stories of Kate Chopin
Sara Jesus
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, favorites
Queria a muito tempo ler Kate Chopin. Finalmente tive oportunidade de comprovar a sua qualidade. Tem um estilo de escrita semelhante a Virgínia Wolf (uma das escritoras que mais admiro). Nao imaginava gostar dos seus contos! Historias que abordam as relações familiares. Mas a cereja no topo do bolo corresponde a historia de " O despertar". Uma novela muito inspirada em livros como " Madame Bovary" e " Anne Karenina". Edna apresenta-se como uma figura muito melancólica, mas que tem um casamento ...more
John
I've read The Awakening, but not when I was mature enough to understand/realize what immense affect it was. I will re-read in that regard,
Zoe's Human
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lt
On the plus side, Chopin's work is feminist. While some of her stories may seem mild and unworthy of controversy in our time, they were utterly shocking in hers. Some, like "The Story of an Hour" and "The Storm", present ideas that are still considered deviant today. I believe these stories are still relevant.

However, her work is also exemplary of white feminism. Repeatedly, the black characters are referred to not by name but by position and even more frequently by percent of blackn
Julia (Shakespeare and Such)
"You have been a very, very foolish boy, wasting your time dreaming of impossible things when you speak of Mr. Pontellier setting me free! I am no longer one of Mr. Pontellier's possessions to dispose of or not. I give myself where I choose. If he were to say 'Here, Robert, take her and be happy; she is yours,' I should laugh at you both."

3/5 stars

Technically the edition that I read also contained some of Kate Chopin's short stories, but as I only chose to read a few of them and I find it hard t
Chris
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. I've decided to rededicate myself to reading this year, and as a part of that, I wanted to branch out. I've read lots of nonfiction, books from people of different cultures, but still, very few books by women. So that is what I'll be doing over the next few weeks I think.

In particular, I feel that it's important not just to read pulp by women, but books that have contributed to the evolution of feminism. As a man, it's impossible to know what a woman's life is
Bailey Peyton
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism
Okay, this is going to be more than a bit spacey, due to its subject matter (I'm not the most nuanced). I'm also only reviewing The Awakening (I did attempt the other stories, but they're just not my cup of tea). The palpable emotion is what drew me to this story; I felt the highest high when Edna began to paint, delighted alongside her when she began setting up shop in her new home. But what really stuck with me was when she put herself at odds with a dear friend by declaring her adamant stance ...more
Chloe
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd read two of Kate Chopin's stories before (Story of an Hour and A Pair of Silk Stockings), both of which I absolutely adored. I wanted to read more of her work because I knew her importance as an early feminist writer, and this book did not disappoint. The Awakening, while a little slow to start and somewhat uneven, was absolutely compelling. Thank god I'm not a woman living in that time period, because I would have handled marriage and motherhood even worse than Edna did. I would love to hav ...more
Paula
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many reviewers emphasize that Chopin wrote feminist views in a time when women could not politely leave their designated status. But Chopin's The Awakening and Stories address more than social limitations of the late 1800's. She writes beautifully of hope, passion, despair, romantic love, and mother love. But the primary impact on me was "freedom." And don't let me suggest that Chopin was only a "writer with a message." She was a very talented writer and storyteller. Highly recommend.
Anna
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think we read this in high school which looking back seems kind of heavy, but we did read serious literature all through there. Anyway, I have a school copy and re-read it not too long ago. I liked it the first time and again as well. It really brings to the senses the time and place; and back in the 80s having a female author from history was extra interesting. Especially with her message...or what you determined her message to be.
Julie
Dec 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Haven't read the other short stories yet, so this is just a review of The Awakening. It was nicely-written and incredibly atmospheric -- I loved the (ironically) dreamy, listless mood which had the main character just ebbing around -- but aside from that, it just breezed past me. Edna isn't easy to feel for or sympathise with, and I didn't linger on this story afterwards.
Sophia
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The novel itself was far under what I expected it to be. I understand why it's branded as a controversial early feminist novel, but the plot was so dry and the characters so boring that I wanted to put the book down. The short stories are amazing though and carry much more depth than the novel does.
Carlie
May 22, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: baby haters
I could not get past the fact that this woman abandons her children. Yeah, it sucks to be trapped in a marriage to a man you no longer love but the kids had nothing to do with it. You brought them into the world. It is your responsibility to ensure you don't scar them for life.
Eunice
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Tammy Donnelly
The story was slow and I made it half way through before I went online to see what happened. Glad I did not finish it. After all she did to be independent she goes and kills herself because the guy she loves left. Ridiculous!
Hancock
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an excellent book that I am surprised that it took so many years for me to 'discover' it. I rarely, if ever, heard Kate Chopin or The Awakening discussed.
Brian
I enjoyed this book tremendously as I was reading it, but I left off somewhere and just never could find my way back to it.
Jossalyn
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
for Westridge alum book club this month
Lyat Conyers
I couldn’t quite get into this book. I was looking forward to this feminist novel, and yet, I found myself very disconnected from the main character.
Sara
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Kate Chopin. My favorites were: 'The Story of an Hour' and 'Regret'.
I'm generally not a huge short story fan, so it has to be something really special for me to love it. Chopin is obviously a great writer, but none of these stories really grabbed me.
Matthew Conroy
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for Beyond the Bayou alone. The Awakening is pretty good, too.
Morgan Duplechin
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't have much to say about this book. It was really great! Kate Chopin is an amazing writer and the selection of stories was great! There wasn't a story I didn't like.
Susan Summers
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. Can't decide what I think about the heroine and her decisions, but she was alive to me and her world was vivid. Lovely.
Suada Leskaj
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yo not gonna even lie, i finished the Awakening lying on my bathroom floor and just continued to lay there without moving for this book left me so dumb-founded but so fulfilled
Abbie Will
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like her short stories; they were daring and feminist for her time...recommend this thus far.
Anant Utchin
May 16, 2016
Alannah
Nov 26, 2017

• Mashi, And Other Stories
  • A Delicate Touch (Stone Barrington, #48)
  • The Rosie Project (Don Tillman, #1)
  • Some Horses: Essays
  • Henry IV
  • Halfbreed
  • Those Pricey Thakur Girls
  • Women and the Lakes: Untold Great Lakes Maritime Tales
  • The Red and the Black
  • Wolf Pack (Joe Pickett, #19)
  • American Gods (American Gods, #1)
  • The Standoff
  • Fire and Ice (Liam Campbell, #1)
  • A Modern Treasury of Great Detective and Murder Mysteries
  • The Casual Vacancy
  • To Night Owl from Dogfish
  • The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
  • Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)
Kate Chopin was an American novelist and short-story writer best known for her startling 1899 novel, The Awakening. Born in St. Louis, she moved to New Orleans after marrying Oscar Chopin in 1870. Less than a decade later Oscar's cotton business fell on hard times and they moved to his family's plantation in the Natchitoches Parish of northwestern Louisiana. Oscar died in 1882 and Kate was suddenl ...more