Start by marking “I'm Trying to Love Spiders” as Want to Read:
I'm Trying to Love Spiders

I'm Trying to Love Spiders

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  1,058 Ratings  ·  283 Reviews
The Official Spider Test.
What do you do when you see a spider?

a. Lay on a BIG spidey smoocheroo.

b. Smile, but back away slowly.

c. Grab the closest object, wind up, and let it fly.

d. Run away screaming.
If you chose b, c, or d, then this book is for you! (If you chose a, you might be crazy.)
I'm Trying to Love Spiders will help you see these amazing arachnids in a whole new l
Published July 7th 2015 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I'm Trying to Love Spiders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Trying to Love Spiders

Carol
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really don't mind spiders (too much) except for Black Widow's and Brown Recluses (both found in Missouri), but I hate walking through a spider web......eek!

I did know that spiders ate a lot of bugs, but wow!.....75 pounds a year! That's a whole big bunch of insects....AND am really glad to know my chances of getting hit by lightning are better than dying from a poisonous spider bite. (relief)

I see very few spiders or bugs of any kind in my home, but when I do, Maggie the Cat is usually having

Kelli
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant! SO MUCH FUN! It's full of silliness, super-cute and clever cartoony illustrations, fun fonts, and tons of cool facts about spiders. What more could a kid want? Anything involving spiders that can make me laugh has some special magic. This is it! This interactive funfest gets my vote for best picture book we've read this year. 5 stars.
Erica
Once upon a time when I was about thirteen, I made a three-year-old cry by guilting her out over squishing a spider.
I have always been partial to my little eight-legged friends.

photo misunderstood-spider-meme-squish-wife_zpsiieqf4wt.jpg

Noelle is deathly afeared of spiders. Chris (that's our brother. I don't talk about him nearly as often as I talk about Noelle, thus the clarification) used to torment her by pretending to throw spiders in her hair (sometimes, it wasn't pretend and then I'd have to dive in to save the spider)
Noelle taught her children t
Donalyn
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I loved the playful tone of this book, but it bothered me that the terms venomous and poisonous were used interchangeably, which is scientifically inaccurate. Venomous--it bites you. Poisonous--you bite it. Spiders are venomous, but would only be poisonous if we ate them and were harmed as a result.
Carol
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Really can't say whether kids would find this as entertaining as I did but for what it's worth I loved it. Thanks Kelli for the recommendation.
Relyn
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers
Recommended to Relyn by: Show Me Nominee 2017-18
This book was a huge kid favorite with students in first through fourth grades. Not kidding. They all loved it. I kept smashing spiders in the book and vigorously wiping the guts onto my pants. The kids laughed and laughed. The art was amazing and the facts were totally cool. This book is all around great and a funny, slightly sneaky way to get reluctant non-fiction readers interested. I think it will be the book to beat for the Missouri Show Me Award this year.

Library Lessons
Any time I read a
Silence
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Audience: Babies – Grade School
Illustrations: Bold and silly, with washes of color
Plot / Review: The narrator reeeeeeaaallllyy wants to love spiders. She even goes so far as to list all their finer points, but sadly, she keeps squishing them. I found this extremely relatable and I can’t want to try this as a read aloud for my grade school storytime. Now where did I put that rubber spider?
Read Aloud: Yes
Kathryn
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Very cleverly written although it did not make me want to love spiders. I tried, really I did.
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

You probably don't love spiders, nor do you try to pet them... but maybe you should! In fact, learning more about spiders may change everything!! Knowing they have eight eyes and eat 75 pounds of bugs a year will help you see spiders in a whole different light...

The cover of this picture book is gorgeous! Unfortunately none of the interior illustrations quite match it for perfect balance between ink drawing and watercolor wash... so
Vicki
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Got this book for free at the ISLMA conference and I’m so in love with it!!
Tasha
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Using a great premise, this nonfiction picture book offers up lots of information on spiders. Told in first person, the narrator says that they are working to love spiders, but it just doesn't seem to be working. They try looking more closely at them, but that doesn't work and ends up with a spider squished on the page with the reader's help. The next attempt goes a little better, focusing on the spiders' eyes, webs and how they are able to walk up walls. Even the attempt to gently pet a spider ...more
SCPSReads
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is phenomenal. Our students are working on informational writing and this book was an excellent read aloud in the library. It is the perfect blend of hilarious and factual. My student assistant loved the interactive elements. Students were engaged throughout the whole story, and after our read aloud all of our non-fiction books on spiders flew off the shelves. The students are really hoping that Bethany Barton writes one about cockroaches soon!
Courtney Huskisson
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
A cute and story-like way to present a nonfiction about spiders. I loved that the book has a 'natural/conversational' voice and not an 'informative voice' -- but I definitely learned somethings about spiders.

This is one my nephew would love because he's always trying to teach me that spiders aren't scary ;).
CharityJ
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is nonfiction but reads like a picture book. If you've ever seen a spider and thought, "Kill it! Kill it!" this one's for you. Laughed so hard my stomach hurt. Funniest. picture book. ever. EVER!
Boni
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Creative non-fiction done perfectly! I loved this! The premise and art and design are fantastic and I laughed out loud several times. Okay, I snorted laughter. Whatever.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fascinating facts about spiders and reasons to love them. Another nonfiction book without source notes or a bibliography.
Casandria
I loved this book! It balances nifty facts about spiders with that visceral fear that just won't seem to go away!
Spiders
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This would make for a hilarious read aloud.
Jason
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
cute and creative and silly. and you learn stuff about spiders!
Gina
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't know that this will cure anyone who is scared of spiders, but there are some interesting facts, a fun art style, and hand prints on the pages where readers can participate in the process of petting and squishing. (Mainly squishing.) I can see kids having fun with it.
Lorie Barber
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the most creative nonfiction books I’ve ever read. My students loved this book!
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Innovative and interactive... BUT I just *can't* love spiders, sorry!
Juliana Lee
Hilarious look at spiders (and spider splats). Readers will learn facts about spiders as they journey with the author on her quest to love spiders.
Virginia
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quite clever!
Jenny
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
The narrator wants to love spiders but really doesn't. To try to convince himself to love spiders, the narrator explains all the really cool things about spiders: some have billions of tiny hairs that allow them to stick on walls, they eat insects, they have 8 eyes and very few of them can bite humans. Despite this encouragement, the narrator is still having a hard time learning to love spiders. But perhaps there might be some fact that helps persuade the narrator (and the reader!) to at least a ...more
Teresa
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd written this book. That is all. :D
Angie Quantrell
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I want to give this book more than 5 stars! Hilarious! Readers won't realize they are learning about spiders as they laugh and gasp their way through this fun book.
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
For the record, I do not like spiders. However, I am trying to pass on a better view of them to my daughter. This book is very helpful for any young reader who would like to unmask the mystery of these sometimes creepy insects. The writing is simple so that anyone can learn about spiders in a fun way. Not only that, but the illustrations do a great job to support the facts of the book. My daughter had a lot of fun learning about different kinds of spiders, their webs, and how they survive. The a ...more
Sandy Brehl
Arachnaphobics NEED this book. The endpapers alone will win you over, combining scientific information about a variety of spider species (relative size, distinguishing traits, common names, and factoids) with an appealing layout/color/font and reader-friendly language.
The humor throughout will engage reader/listeners regardless of their opinions of spiders. Images that are intentionally comic are easily distinguished from those meant to be accurate.
I was hoping for a page or two of back-matter
Sean
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! Okay, I don't love spiders. I mean, not even a little. I often view them as tiny invaders in my home that I have to strike down with swift justice. While I know this is an irrational fear, I still can't seem to shake it. However, as a parent, I love what this book accomplishes. It provides important information about spiders while still acknowledging the creepy factor. Even though I get the creeps when around spiders, I don't want to pass that on to my daughter or my student ...more
  • Water is Water: A Book About the Water Cycle
  • The Worm
  • Counting Lions: Portraits from the Wild
  • Elizabeth, Queen of the Seas
  • Out of the Woods: A True Story of an Unforgettable Event
artist/author/illustrator. superpowers include freckles & a loud laugh.
More about Bethany Barton

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Invitation
    $12.24 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99