Start by marking “Spinglish: The Definitive Dictionary of Deliberately Deceptive Language” as Want to Read:
Spinglish: The Definitive Dictionary of Deliberately Deceptive Language

Spinglish: The Definitive Dictionary of Deliberately Deceptive Language

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Spinglish—the devious dialect of English used by professional spin doctors—is all around us. And the fact is, until you’ve mastered it, politicians and corporations (not to mention your colleagues and friends) will continue putting things over on you, and generally getting the better of you, every minute of every day—without your even knowing it.
            However, once
Published June 2nd 2015 by Blue Rider Press (first published May 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Spinglish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spinglish

Scott Stewart
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the publisher for providing this dictionary for review.

This is a huge book, and I flipped through it reading, and laughing at some of the spins placed on the English language. Some I have heard before, some were new to me. This is a great reference to have on your shelf. I will be buying the hardback when it comes out.

Carol
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I used to read the dictionary years ago and this book may make me pick up the habit again. Satirists Beard and Cerf have put together a collection of deliberately deceptive language that is informative and fun to read. I'll be reading this in bits and pieces until I get through it all.

Like all good satire there is plenty of truth (e.g., rightsizing for firing people, incomplete success for failure).

This book is a delight for any lover of the language or wanna be politicians or CEO's.

The book con
Amy K
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm glad I got this from the library. It was okay, but not what I expected.
Jen La Duca
Spinglish: The Definitive Dictionary of Deliberately Deceptive Language was so much fun to read! This was my first venture into the mind of authors, Henry Beard and Christopher Cerf so initially, I wasn’t too sure what to expect. But within a few pages I was chuckling to myself & just knew I had to stop and get my hubby and kids involved. Our teenage daughter competes in public speaking debates and our pre-teen son just loves anything hilarious so I thought we could have some fun and even le ...more
Tom Donaghey
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour
Spinglish: The Definitive Dictionary of Deliberately Deceptive Language as written by Henry Beard, Christopher Cerf is a dictionary for anyone who wishes to understand just what the Hell public speakers are saying.
Here, in the standard from: to and to: from formation of any language translation dictionary, is a guide to all the double talk, back handed compliments and outright lies spoken in our modern world. Although many of the terms have been around for a very long time, they are collected
Doug Miles
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
As the political season is heats up for a presidential election a year and a half away, we are going to be bombarded with language used to persuade and perhaps mislead or even deceive us by politicians and pundits who have become “experts” in spinning. That’s the premise of a very funny book “Spinglish: The Definitive Dictionary of Deliberately Deceptive Language co-written by Henry Beard and Christopher Cerf who’s previous book “The Official Politically Correct Dictionary and Handbook” was a N. ...more
Paul Franco
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you ever watched those press monkeys on TV and wondered what they really meant by all those long phrases of meaningless gibberish, this is the book for you. More funny than really educational, the book is in dictionary format, most of it spin-to-English, though there is a much smaller part that’s English-to-spin at the “end.” By far the best parts are the examples, like in the spelling bee when you say “use it I a sentence.” The new terms are substituted for their more usual counterparts in f ...more
Elisheva Rina
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC!
This dictionary is funny, casual, and actually useful for people who want to understand the often evasive language of (mostly) businesses, politicians, and newspapers--and for people who want to use some "nuanced responses" in their own speech or writing.
I wouldn't recommend sitting down and reading this like a novel (which is what I did), unless you enjoy reading sarcastic dictionaries purely for the humor.
There are some images and some language I found objectiona
Pj
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
I bounced back and forth between three and four stars. When I first picked the book up I was hoping for more exploration and analysis of spin before the dictionary section. They make up for it by including full references and taking the bulk of the acknowledgements pointing readers in the direction of further books that may be more in line with what I was thinking.
Rebecca
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Although I did not read the entire thing, it is definitely an eye opener to really break down the terms that are used in our media and politics. Done with a humorous side, of course! If you are very into politics, you should find this "dictionary" quite amusing!
Emily
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-excerpts
This is awesome. A romp through the hilarious and sobering ways that people in the public eye contort language and meaning. I highly recommend it.
Rebecca Mordini
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious book tracking the way we don't say what we mean. Any time I want a chuckle I just open up to any page.
Kathleen
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some really clever definitions, but best taken a small section at a time.
Seton Rae
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A modern day "Devil's Dictionary," Spinglish's humorous take on double-edged rhetoric provides an entertaining look at the use and abuse of language.
Lola
Jul 09, 2015
  • Does Anybody Have a Problem With That? The Best of Politically Incorrect
  • Daily Dishonesty
  • Quotations from Chairman Trump
  • Reduced Shakespeare: The Attention-impaired Readers Guide to the World's Best Playwright
  • Dogfight: The 2012 Presidential Campaign in Verse
  • WTF, Evolution?!: A Theory of Unintelligible Design
  • Walter Potter's Curious World of Taxidermy
  • The Truth About Santa: Wormholes, Robots, and What Really Happens on Christmas Eve
  • How to Win a Fight with a Conservative
  • Dads Are the Original Hipsters
  • Don't Let the Republican Drive the Bus!
  • Sir John Hargrave's Mischief Maker's Manual
  • The Film Book
  • The Deleted E-Mails of Hillary Clinton: A Parody
  • Pitchforks and Torches: The Worst of the Worst, from Beck, Bill, and Bush to Palin and Other Posturing Republicans
  • Awesome Sh*t My Drill Sergeant Said: Wit and Wisdom from America's Finest
  • Billionaires & Ballot Bandits: How to Steal an Election in 9 Easy Steps
  • Lost in Translation: An Illustrated Compendium of Untranslatable Words from Around the World
Henry N. Beard (born ca. 1945) is an American humorist, one of the founders of the magazine National Lampoon and the author of several best-selling books.

Beard, a great-grandson of Vice President John C. Breckinridge, was born into a well-to-do family and grew up at the Westbury Hotel on East 69th Street in Manhattan. His relationship with his parents was cool, to judge by his quip "I never saw my