Start by marking “Garden of Lies” as Want to Read:
Garden of Lies

Garden of Lies

The Kern Secretarial Agency provides reliable professional services to its wealthy clientele, and Anne Clifton was one of the finest women in Ursula Kern’s employ. But Miss Clifton has met an untimely end—and Ursula is convinced it was not due to natural causes.

Archaeologist and adventurer Slater Roxton thinks Mrs. Kern is off her head to meddle in such dangerous
Published April 21st 2015 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Garden of Lies, please sign up.
April Robertson-Ring No I dont think so. AQ has better couples that deserve a sequel. :)…moreNo I dont think so. AQ has better couples that deserve a sequel. :) (less)

Start your review of Garden of Lies
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Ursula Kern is mourning a colleague and a friend who recently died. She is also quite certain that Anne Clifton, the friend in question, didn't kill herself; she was murdered and Ursula set out to prove her point. What she didn't expect was that she would have help to do it, but archaeologist and adventurer Slater Roxton isn't letting Ursula put herself in danger without him by her side. The mysterious and attractive Slater will prove to be a great asset to Ursula as they try to find out the ...more
Lois Bujold
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers who like the other Quicks
Recommended to Lois by: library search, when it occured to me it was about time for more
More of Amanda Quick's 19th C.-setting Victorian romance-melodramas. Pretty much all her usual elements deployed here, although the hero managed to be slightly more human, or at least have a live mother with whom he has a good relationship, so kudos for that. About 90% self-pastiche, 10% new stuff, which is about average for recent Krentz/Quick/Castle. I find her "Quick" voice perhaps the most readable of the three, but then I grew up on Conan Doyle and the like.

I have always wondered about the
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (SLOW)
2 Meh Stars

*Sign* Where do I start? I could describe this book in a few limited words,for sure.BUT Quick would defiantly not be one of them (Pun intended.)

I usually devour Ms.Quick's read the moment I get my hands on them. Fast paced with interesting characters and a strong plot,her books always made for a delicious read.But not this time.
Choosing the The Garden of lies for my day-off read, Defiantly felt like I picked the short end of the stick this time around,unfortunately.

Literally NOTHING
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: safe, historical
I liked this one, but it still was just okay for me. I didn’t skim, it held my attention and it followed the same routine as AQ’s other books just without stand out characters. Ursula ran too hot and cold for me and Slater, although the perfect brooding silent H, at times seemed too much a push over. I love Amanda Quick, her books are simple (no OW/OM drama, no cheating and no manwhore Hs) they always have a cool murder/mystery that needs solving and there is humor and just the right amount of ...more
☕️Kimberly
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Ursula Kern owns the Kern Secretarial Agency in London. Her business has earned a reputation as both reliable and professional. When Anne Clifton one of her most dependable secretaries is found dead of an apparent suicide Ursula believes foul play to be involved. Left with some clues, Ursula plans to take over Anne’s duties to a wealthy client, but to do so; she must take a leave of absences from her current position with the eccentric Slater Roxton. He of course demands an explanation and ...more
Daniella
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Fans of Amanda Quick, especially those acquainted with her recent works, are sure to find a pattern in her books. She follows a formula in writing her novels: an independent heroine, a calculating hero, and a mystery that binds them together. Some may see this as a fault, complaining that it's a "lack of creativity" on her part, while there are those who love her for it.

I belong in the second category. Amanda Quick stories give me a sense of security. I like the constancy in the plot structure;
Susan
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She does it again

No matter the name no matter the time period or even the planet this author never fails to write an exceptional love story. Wonderful heroes smart heroines strong secondary characters good mystery and wonderful escape in the words of a book that can be enjoyed many times over. If you have not tried Amanda Quick or Jayne Ann Krentz do yourself a favor and become acquainted with this talented author. She never fails to deliver.
This one is a historical but no matter the time period
Caz
I've given this a C- for narration and a C for content at AAR.

I suspect that even the most devoted of Amanda Quick’s fans would agree that her books tend to the formulaic. That’s not a criticism – there are times we all want to read or listen to something in which we know in advance what we’re going to get and that we’re likely to enjoy, and Ms Quick’s legion of fans clearly demonstrates that the pattern she employs in her historical romantic mysteries works for large numbers of readers and
Cheri
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I have never really read AQ except for the Arcane Society novels. I prefer JAK or JC books. I did a lot of yawning in the beginning of this book. The middle started to interest me and by the end I was liking it. I did not think the "who dunnit" was who did it though. For that I give her 3 stars on this one.
Julie
Garden of Lies by Amanda Quick is a 2015 G.P Putnam's Son publication.

I can't remember the last time I read an Amanda Quick novel. I remember I used to never miss one back when the historical novels tied in with the contemporary and the futuristic books by Jayne Ann Krentz and Jayne Castle. But, somewhere along the way I lost track of this author, so while browsing through the Overdrive library I found this one which is a fairly new release- April 2015- so I snapped it up feeling absolutely
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Review posted on Got Fiction? book blog

This book started off with an incredible beginning! But pretty much after that it completely slowed down. It picked up again, but it took a while.

Quick version is that Slater Roxton is an adventurer and archaeologist. He is trapped in a cave-in, and although he does escape, he’s been abandoned on Fever Island for about a year before a ship takes him back to London.

Ursula Kern runs a secretarial business. She is helping Roxton catalogue artifacts when one of
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: historical romance lovers who enjoy a bit of suspense
I finally secured a copy of this book. I enjoyed it. This story's style is the patented Ms. Quick style. Set in a historical England in about the late 1700s and early 1800s, Ursula Kern is an independent woman who reinvented herself. As a single woman, there are not many jobs to sustain her livelihood. She cleverly starts up a secretarial temp business using the new fangled technology - a typewriter. Everything is going well until one of her employee's dies. Determined to figure out why Anne ...more
Linda
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
When Ursulas employee turns up murdered, she decides to take matters in her own hand and investigate what really happened, by taking her place at her work.
But Slater, Ursulas current assignment, isnt ready to let Ursula put herself at risk, so together they undertake this problem solving, that turns out to be harder and more dangerous than they ever could think.
Historical romance, suspense and smutty fluff in a great combo, listened to the audio version, and the narrator was great, too.
Christa
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have always enjoyed this author's books, whether she is writing under Amanda Quick, Jayne Anne Krentz, or Jayne Castle, and this one was no exception. I am a fan of historical romance, and I really liked the time period and the setting, as well as all of the details about both. Slater Roxton was a great hero, and a wonderful counterpart to Ursula Kern, a top notch heroine. I liked that neither of them were typical, with his background as an archaeologist and hers as the owner of a secretarial ...more
Cheryl
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
A romantic mystery novel set in Victorian London. The mystery aspect is emphasized more than the romance and was pretty interesting. I liked the characters, especially Ursula Kern who is owner of the Kern Secretarial Agency. With the help of her client Slater Roxton, she looks into the suspicious death of her friend and employee. The book was fast-paced, and both the mystery and the romance were resolved in a satisfying way. A light, fun read.
Dee Sauter
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it

Garden of Lies is a romantic suspense story set in Victorian England. Ursula Kern is the owner of Kern Secretarial Agency, an up-to-date agency that hires women, and at a high salary, to do secretarial work. When one of her employees dies, Ursula goes through her things and finding a crumpled note written in shorthand Ursula deduces that her friend and employee was murdered. With the help of Slater Roxton, an archaeologist, who watches her back the two discover drugs, murder, and intrigue.
Olga Godim
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
In this Victorian romantic suspense, the protagonist Ursula owns a secretarial agency. One of her secretaries is found dead, and Ursula thinks it was murder. She decides to investigate, but for that, she has to postpone her secretarial work for Slater, the hero.
Slater is rich, infamous, and slightly sinister, a typical Quick’s male hero. The society suspects him of being eccentric, but Ursula knows his heart is that of a knight in shining armor. Slater doesn’t want to let his feisty
Sue
Story was quite good, less of the "meta-physical" which thank god for... that "term" was driving me nuts in AQ's works. Glad to see it only mentioned once and not by the primary couple.

Went back the style I so enjoyed the "Lake & March" series, where there was a real mystery and a crime to solve. And the paranormal had very little place, again thank you AQ. I was getting entirely to bored with that.

Romance was good, but I'll be frank the "acts" were rushed and not all that sensual. Again
Colleen
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am an avid Quick fan. I have read everything that she has written as Amanda Quick and Jayne Ann Krentz and that is what got in the way of this story. If I had never read her other work, I would have enjoyed it immensely. However, I kept thinking about where have I read this before. An archeologist discovering an ancient civilization--sounds suspiciously like Zamar. The Three Paths read like the Vanza novels. The drug plot line read like the Arcane books. An actress mother and an Lord for a ...more
Miki
Oct 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
If this book was wallpaper, it would be beige. If it was food, it would be strained carrots. If it was a book...well, it would be itself.

Garden of Lies is one of those books that, once you turn the final page, you can't remember what it was about. The plot, all the characters, even the the setting, all fade into oblivion, and you raise your head, blinking, to wonder "what the heck happened to last three hours?".

If you like characters with no personality, hardly any action but lots of talking
fleurette
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: JAK fans
Recommended to fleurette by: Ezinwanyi
It is rather an average book by Amanda Quick, very similar to many others by this author. I enjoyed it but not so much as some other books by Quick.

The suspense part was quite okay. Not really innovative or surprising but enough interesting to keep me reading. The characters were really likeable and not annoying. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any deep feelings between Ursula and Slater. I believe they like each other but endless love... not really.

It wasn't bad but I was expecting something
Sharyn
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Quick book so far. Loved everything about it. The bantering dialogue made me laugh out loud several times!! I loved Slater, a really terrific hero. Ursala was an independent intelligent woman who formed her own business. The beginning of secretaries and typewriters was historically interesting. I loved Slater's mother and all the servants in his house. Enjoyed the mystery also.Hope this is the beginning of a series. I want more Slater and Ursala. Quick has always been my favorite, I ...more
Jessica
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
On the plus side, it has elements that reminded me of my favorite JAK/AQ stories. It also has no use of the term 'psychical' anywhere.

In the minus side, it mostly made me want to reread my favorite JAK/AQ stories instead of this one.

The mystery was more developed than the romance.

I'd suggest this for die-hard AQ fans, but I can't see it winning her any new readers.
Andree
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
And here is the AQ novel that has essentially the same plot as Affair, that I read immediately after reading that one. This one I liked better, mostly because I think the mystery plot was done considerably better in this one. Also, the characters felt a little more like real people.

Also, the reference to Labyrinth walking made me laugh, because it's a thing that I'd never heard of until six months ago, but now it seems to be cropping up everywhere.

Thing is, AQ's novels are readable. I'm just not
Mara
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
A great Valentine day read :)
Victoria Meyer
Mar 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Kathy Martin
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ursula Kern is a woman with a secret past who has reinvented herself and become the owner of high class secretarial agency. When one of her workers dies unexpectedly, she decides to investigate. Before she can take her workers place, she has to resign from her current position with archaeologist and man of mystery Slater Roxton. Slater is worried that Ursula is going to be in danger and determines to protect her.

Slater is an interesting character because he is not a member of the upper class.
Mandy
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
So, the beginning was really great with an archeology adventure. No, I still haven’t seen any Indiana Jones movies, Gina. But, I think the first part of this novel is a bit of an homage to those movies. It becomes far less interesting when the story moves back to England. I do like that Ursula is a working woman with her own earned independence. That’s a bit different in novels set in Victorian England. Maybe it’s closer towards Edwardian and at the end of Victoria’s reign, but either way, it’s ...more
Emma
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Independent, strong-willed Ursula Kern owns the prestigious Kern Secretarial Agency at which a miss Anne Clifton is employed. When Anne dies under suspicious circumstances, Ursula is determined to get to the bottom of it without the help of the police. Mrs Kern's current employer, eccentric adventurer Slater Roxton, is not about to let her go it alone.

This was a great, fun read. A perfect beach book, I think, if, of course, you enjoy a good murder mystery on the beach. I love historical fiction
June
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery/romance and Amanda Quick fans
Recommended to June by: goodreads or novelist?
Fun, Fun, FUN! Ursula has reinvented herself. After being the subject of penny dreadfuls, she has assumed a new identity and opened a successful professional secretarial agency. However, when her friend and first employee turns up dead, Ursula can not accept that it is suicide and decides to investigate herself. However, her current employer, adventurer and archaeologist - Slater Roxton is unable to let her investigate on her own...
Play Book Tag: Garden of Lies - Amanda Quick - 4 stars 1 11 Jun 26, 2016 08:30PM
Sharing Reads: Women in the work place. 1 1 May 26, 2016 08:51PM
Play Book Tag: Garden of Lies by Amanda Quick 3 stars 3 13 Mar 30, 2016 12:05PM

• In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2)
  • Falling Awake
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Trust No One
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • Siren's Call (Rainshadow, #4; Ghost Hunters, #12)
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
  • Copper Beach (Dark Legacy, #1)
  • Illusion Town (Ghost Hunters, #13)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • Light in Shadow (Whispering Springs, #1)
  • River Road
  • Truth or Dare (Whispering Springs, #2)
  • Gift of Gold (Gift, #1)
  • Smoke in Mirrors
  • Deception Cove (Rainshadow, #2; Ghost Hunters, #10)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the
“You compose a question and then you just start walking. Concentrate on each step. Don’t think too far ahead and don’t think about where you have been. But consider closely how one step leads to another. Contemplate connections and links. Immerse yourself in the pattern.” 1 likes
“We are respectable females. Of course we have delicate sensibilities.” “No, Matty, what professional secretaries must possess in abundance are the qualities of intelligence, common sense and a willingness to do whatever is required to extricate one’s person from potentially outrageous situations before they become outrageous. There are no knights in shining armor hanging about waiting to rescue us. We must deal with the world on our own. Which is, of course, why I make certain that all of my secretaries wear hats with large, sturdy hatpins.” 1 likes