Start by marking “The Harvest Man (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Harvest Man (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #4)

The Harvest Man

(Scotland Yard's Murder Squad #4)

Scotland Yard’s Murder Squad—and Jack the Ripper—return, in the extraordinary new historical thriller from the author of the acclaimed national bestseller The Yard.

In The Devil’s Workshop, London discovered that Jack the Ripper was back, sending the city—and Scotland Yard’s Murder Squad—into chaos. But now it is even worse. Not only is the Ripper still at large, but so is
Published May 19th 2015 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Harvest Man, please sign up.
Brittany You don't have to read the first three for this one to make sense. I just read this book and I really enjoyed it. I didn't even know this was the 4th …moreYou don't have to read the first three for this one to make sense. I just read this book and I really enjoyed it. I didn't even know this was the 4th book in a series when I started reading it. (less)

Start your review of The Harvest Man (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #4)
Julie
This story is not, I repeat, is not, for the faint of heart. There is very graphic violence and super intense situations that could cause sweating of the palms or cause you to have a few restless nights.

I do have one complaint, and I hate to bring it up, but…. There is not a tidy, all wrapped up neatly with a bow on top, ending. In fact, some may view it as borderline cliffhanger territory. Ordinarily, this would annoy me to the nth degree, and I was slightly irritated , but the author handles
Rose
The Harvest Man by Alex Grecian the 4th installment in the Scotland Yard's Murder Squad series does not disappoint

Well written characters with a complex storyline – dark colourful London in the late 1800’s. Jack the Ripper – victims/ CSI techniques and much more.

A cliff hanger that will lead well into the pages of “Lost and Gone Forever”

I will read on and see what happens to the Murder Squad. Sergeant Nevil Hammersmith and Inspector Walter Day

If you enjoy dark London murder/mystery stories – do
Jaclyn
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
After the explosive Devil’s Workshop I was quite excited to return to the adventures of Inspector Walter Day and his sidekick, Nevil Hammersmith. While I did enjoy The Harvest Man, it did not have the same suspenseful momentum as the previous book. That said, The Harvest Man ends on a high note, setting the stage perfectly for the next book in the series. I can only imagine that there will be many developments in this mystery series; it has gone in a direction I did not expect.

The Harvest Ma
Andy
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And onto the next book in the series and as the title implied we’ll be continuing onwards from the last book. Plus I did rip through the prior one at a good lick.

Yes! I was right to follow this up as a back-to-back read where we pick up Day & Hammersmith piecing their lives back together after there last run in which got quite “rough” for the duo…. They are still trying to track down the last escapee aka The Harvest Man which is no real gimme in terms of “plot leaks” for this tale.

The villain in
Christine
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
This is the fourth installment in the “Scotland Yard’s Murder Squad” series and while there have been a few minor bumps along the way I’ve enjoyed each of the books. “The Harvest Man” is no exception.

The transition from the ending of the last book to the start of this one is seamless. Mr. Grecian does not miss a beat. The “Harvest Man” (named after a reclusive attic dwelling spider) is still on the loose but this time he has left some witnesses behind. The bodies of dead prostitutes are once mor
Amy Yingling
Holy Crap Is All Of Got To Say!
I read many reviews over on Goodreads about The Harvest Man and one person I am friends with on there and whom I really respect her opinions on books gave it two stars so I didn’t have my expectations to high about liking this book, and I was right, I didn’t like it I loved it.
By far The Harvest Man is the bloodiest and most grotesque of the Scotland Murder Yard book series that I’ve read so far. I mean people are getting their faces cut off bit by bit while they'r
Martha
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
(Thank you to Putnam and First to Read for the ARC!)

The Murder Squad series really has an interesting premise: it's the beginning of forensic detective work and an organized fight against the criminal underworld set against the backdrop of Victorian England. As much as I want to enjoy this series, with the last two installments, I find myself liking it less and less.

It's not that I don't like the characters or enjoy the period setting, it's just that the books are starting to lack a sense of ten
Benjamin Thomas
Spring, 1890, London. Scotland Yard’s “Murder Squad” is in a bit of disarray and in the middle of moving to a new location. Inspector Walter Day is on desk duty recovering from serious wounds that occurred in the previous book, The Devil's Workshop and now must use a cane to walk properly. His faithful sergeant, Nevil Hammersmith, also severely injured in that last book isn’t even a part of the police force anymore but can’t get the need to solve crimes out of his system. When presented with a n ...more
Siobhan
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since reading The Devil’s Workshop last year I was excited for this Murder Squad book. With everything that happened in the third book in the series you knew great things were to come.

Sadly, despite how much I enjoyed this one, it wasn’t quite to the level of the other books in the series. For me, this book focused far too much on the personal lives of the characters and overlooked the thing I was really interested in – the complex crime that came about following the events in the last book.

It i
Laima
Apr 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into this book. There was no suspense build up and the constant shift in characters between chapters got a bit confusing. I kept losing track of who was who and, although I don't mind reading about blood and gore, the descriptions in this novel were overkill. It just didn't hold my interest so I couldn't finish reading this book (but I did read just over 50%).
AdiTurbo
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful tension throughout the series, great characters and a few storylines that hold your interest from one book to another. This one ends with such a cliffhanger that I moved on immediately to the next one in the series. Simply a fantastic read.
Alicia Huxtable
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This took me a while to read, mainly because it starts off a little slow but once it got going.....well, I was hooked. While at points the descriptions can be fairly gruesome, don't let that turn you off because the story is exceptionally well written.
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Harvest Man by Alex Grecian is the fourth in his Scotland Yard’s Murder Squad series and the fourth I have read, each one improves upon the last, and yet I do feel the books can be read independent from each other, however I recommend reading them in order for the maximum effect. The Harvest Man takes place in 1890s London and picks up where The Devil’s Workshop left off, for the most part, Ripper is back, but a second murder is on the loose who is worse than Jack the Ripper, known as the Ha ...more
Cheryl
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have not read anything by this author. Now that I have read this book I will be adding this author to my list of authors to watch. Everything was right about this book... from the storyline, to the characters, tone of the story, and the beginning and ending of the book.

The Harvest Man is one creepy, sinister man. I would never want to meet him as his victims do not fare well. They end up with new facial makeovers. Inspector Day is a complex character. I like this about him. He was human and n
Marla
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This has become one of my favorite historical fiction murder mystery series. In this book there isn't just one killer on the loose, there are three and one of them is cutting people's faces off. Also, Jack the Ripper is still out there and he wants Inspector Walter Day. Jack feels he has a connection with Walter. Alex Grecian does a great job of pulling the reader into the lives of the characters living in 1885. You wish they could pick up a cell phone and call for help instead of looking for a ...more
Gayle Noble
Policeman, Walter Day, and his recently sacked former partner, Nevil Hammersmith, are on the trail of two killers in Victorian London; the resurfaced Jack the Ripper, and the Harvest Man. There were lots of twists and turns in the story and it kept my attention pretty well. I like the 'Victorian CSI' aspects of these books with snippets about the very beginning of forensic science, but unfortunately there was less of that in this one and more about Walter Day's family. I hope that is not going t ...more
Kathy Davie
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fourth in the Scotland Yard's Murder Squad historical mystery thriller series revolving around the newly formed Murder Squad with the focus is on Detective Inspector Walter Day and his former partner, Sergeant Nevil Hammersmith. The story is set in London in the spring of 1890.

My Take
There's plenty of action for everyone in The Harvest Man what with hunting down surviving children, Jack the Ripper inserting himself and threatening Day's family, another serial killer murdering families, and compa
Milou
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel that after the brilliant chaos of book 3, this was always going to be a disappointment. So considering that, this was a great read. If anything it was a bit too simple. That ending though... wow.

That is not to say this book is for the faint of heart. It has got the tense situations we have grown to love from this series, and is certainly not lacking in gore and violence either.

Our main bad guy in this story is the Harvest Man, an escaped prisoner who is looking for his parents by taking '
Jill Hutchinson
I read The Devil's Worksho last year and thought it had an interesting premise, so I picked up this book in the continuing series of Inspector Walter Day. Jack the Ripper is still on the scene although not everyone agrees with Inspector Day that Saucy Jack is still alive. But Day knows better and when the bodies of three prostitutes are found murdered in the same manner that Jack used, Day is on the trail even though still suffering the physical effects of their first encounter;

But another villa
Lee
The Scotland Yard Murder Squad.

I'm just totally blown away with this series and I'm hoping audible will bring the others in the series out.

So Jacks still going strong and now the Harvest Mans also giving Walter Day a run for his money. It's dark, gory, fun and splendidly written and narrated.

This book really does keep you hooked and I'm afraid I gorged on it in one sitting....better go and do the back load of dishes, washing, hoovering etc now....ho hum...
Melinda
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fourth installment in the Scotland Yard Murder Squad series (and I think my favorite so far). Harvest Man picks up where the Devil's Workshop left off. Fast moving story with great characters and a real cliff hanger ending that leaves the reader ready for the next Inspector Day adventure. Parallel murders kept the action moving and had me on the edge of my seat. Very atmospheric!
Heidi
Each book in this series just gets better and better. Beware the cliffhanger... Inspector Day and company face several villains in this book, some carry on in the next.

Mark
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intriguing and keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Nicky Mottram
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audio version of this book 📚- Loved this book , this series just gets better and better, narrator really brought the characters to life
Steven
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very intriguing.
Dez Nemec
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I just love this series, but that end!!!!!
Literati Literature Lovers
Rosette's Review

A copy of The Harvest Man was provided for purposes of an honest review.

I am new to the works of Alex Grecian and I was intrigued by the book description when I was offered to read a copy of The Harvest Man. So intrigued was I, that I did not bother to see that it wasn't the first book of the series. In fact, it is the fourth book. Oops.

This however did not deter me from reading. There were a few areas that I could not follow so I highly recommend reading The Yard (Scotland Yard'
Bobby Panichella
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very good it is the 4th book in the Scotland Yard Murder Squad series.
Becky Price
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r-u-b, audiobooks
I doubt I would have ever picked this up on my own, but I'm glad I was asked to. While this isn't my new favorite book it was definitely an enjoyable experience. Glad I stepped outside of my norm for this.
Cathy Cole
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Any day with a new Murder Squad novel from Alex Grecian is a good day, and The Harvest Man is no exception. Scotland Yard is moving to a new building, and as the old one empties, there's a real sense of one era ending and a new one beginning. We're introduced to new characters, like Claire Day's parents, and we're able to observe how all of them are dealing with the brutal events of the previous book. Many things happened that are not easy to come to terms with.

As usual, Grecian shows his skill
What did you like about this book? 1 10 Feb 21, 2016 10:22AM

• Some Danger Involved (Barker & Llewelyn, #1)
  • Hell Bay (Barker & Llewelyn, #8)
  • To Kingdom Come (Barker & Llewelyn, #2)
  • The Limehouse Text (Barker & Llewelyn, #3)
  • Lethal Pursuit (Barker & Llewelyn, #11)
  • The Murder Pit (Arrowood, #2)
  • The Black Hand (Barker & Llewelyn, #5)
  • The Infidel Stain (Avery & Blake #2)
  • The Lost Abbot (Matthew Bartholomew, #19)
  • Old Scores (Barker & Llewelyn, #9)
  • The Devil's Feast (Avery & Blake, #3)
  • Fatal Enquiry (Barker & Llewelyn, #6)
  • The Last Passenger (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #0.3)
  • Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr, #10)
  • Anatomy of Evil (Barker & Llewelyn, #7)
  • The Strings of Murder (Frey & McGray, #1)
  • Mrs Hudson and the Lazarus Testament (A Sherlock Holmes & Mrs Hudson Mystery #3)
  • Mrs Hudson and the Spirits' Curse (A Sherlock Holmes & Mrs Hudson Mystery #1)
Grecian is the author of several bestselling thrillers, including THE SAINT OF WOLVES AND BUTCHERS, and five novels featuring Scotland Yard's Murder Squad: THE YARD, THE BLACK COUNTRY, THE DEVIL'S WORKSHOP, THE HARVEST MAN, and LOST AND GONE FOREVER, plus the original Murder Squad ebook, THE BLUE GIRL.

He also created the six-volume graphic novel series PROOF, and the two-part graphic novel RASPUTI

Scotland Yard's Murder Squad (5 books)
  • The Yard (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #1)
  • The Black Country (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #2)
  • The Devil's Workshop (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #3)
  • Lost and Gone Forever (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #5)