Start by marking “How to Be Happy (Or at Least Less Sad): A Creative Workbook” as Want to Read:
How to Be Happy (Or at Least Less Sad): A Creative Workbook

How to Be Happy (Or at Least Less Sad): A Creative Workbook

Author and illustrator Lee Crutchley brings his lively interactive approach to a little-discussed but very common issue: the struggle with depression and anxiety.

Through a series of supportive, surprising, and engaging prompts, HOW TO BE HAPPY (OR AT LEAST LESS SAD) helps readers see things in a new light, and rediscover simple pleasures and everyday joy…or at least feel a
Published May 5th 2015 by TarcherPerigee

Start your review of How to Be Happy (Or at Least Less Sad): A Creative Workbook
bacabuku
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
being a person who hate "self-help" books that is too preachy, giving and emphazing examples of the so called "successful people, that is, the writer.
but this depends. some sharing their experiences in a humble way.
i bought this book when another episode of depression, strucks me.
i browse this book at a bookstore, and instantly having a thought "this book is written for people like me".
The first day i got this book, i was still felt so miserable even to lift a pen to write anything, require
Christina
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book definitely brings out my creative side. I love busting out my 100 pack of gel pens and working on one page each day!
Kathleen Jensen
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I haven't technically finished this book as it is something I turn to when I'm having a particularly low moment in my fight with depression. However I find that this book is wonderful in helping me discover the little things that keep me going. The title is right, it's not how to be happy. It's how to be less sad. Depression isn't something that goes away, you learn to cope with it and this is a great thing to cope with. The 10 fingers listing what you appreciate everyday but sometimes forget ...more
Elyse
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This book is a wonderful tool for this with depression to help identify what triggers them to feel down, as well as set activities and mind sets to help pull oneself back out. It contains pages of prompts and thought evoking answers for the reader to answer. For example, one page says "List things you do every day that give you no pleasure. Cross out anything non-essential." The next exercise "List thugs that's you do every day that give you pleasure. Circle anything on-essential." When I went ...more
Sam Totten
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love how this isn't just a personal memoir/instruction manual for how to be happier; but also, it includes activities! It's short, sweet and worth it.
Mira123
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Total super! Liebevoll gestaltet, aufmunternd, macht Mut!
Vanessa
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, read-in-english
This book never claims that it will heal you. It doesn't say it will change your life. It doesn't. That's okay.
But it does help you figure out how some of your thought processes might be harmful, proves to you how they are wrong and helps you work on yourself. There are a lot of exercises in this. Sometimes they are fun (like imagining what kind of animal you would be and stuff like that) and sometimes they don't really work. Like the one with the tv show schedule - you are only allowed to watch
Kim
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
it's all about perspectives.
Heather
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How to be less happy is a wonderful tool that has been working really well for me. As well - or better - than any of the tools professionals have given me so far.

This book has text broken down into small chunks that are not overwhelming. It is very interactive, and has many different ways to engage with the ideas presented. I think the should appeal to artsy and non-artsy folks alike.

If you are anyone you know is struggling with depression or anxiety, or just feeling lost in their life, I highly
Geoff
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I received this book I had no idea what it was. I hadn’t ordered any books recently and it appeared in my mail and am I glad it did! I spent some time thinking about this wonderful new magic of books randomly appearing on my doorstep, thanks Perigee, I then flipped through the book and knew this would be great. Perigee sent this to me in return for my honest opinion and I received no compensation for it.

After figuring out where it came from, I spent a few more minutes having an internal
Douglas Cootey
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Penguin Random House contacted me to see if I'd like to review this book for my blog. The subject sounded like a good match for my readers, but when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised to see it was a workbook. What a perfect idea.

Being told how to think better can be helpful, but being shown how to do it is infinitely better. This workbook encourages positive thinking and constructive visualizing, and the various exercises train the reader to cast aside negativity. The author shows that
Robin Bonne
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great little book with writing prompts to aid with the recovery from depression. I enjoyed the majority of this book and replicated many of the pages in my own journal. I do think that the CBT thought distortion section is a little offensive to INFJ personality types, such as myself, but the author is not a psychologist and states that fact outright.
Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone looking to reflect on their own feelings and thoughts, not just to someone coping with depression.
Julia
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nothing preachy and no “secrets to life”? I’m in.
Annelie
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-paper-back
A practical little workbook full of small things to do in the moment in order to feel less sad.
Holly
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good self help book
Aye Phyu
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am not a fan of self-help books but this make me realize things that I ignored :)
hifels
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A simple guidance for a complicated mind of mine.
Ade Putri
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
How to Happy bukan spesifik mengajarkan kita tentang bagaimana bahagia. Buku ini justru bertagline, “Setidaknya tak terlalu sedih.” Ya, bersedih itu tidak apa-apa. Kita tidak perlu memaksakan atau melawannya dengan pura-pura bahagia. Kita cukup menyadari kesedihan itu, dan buku ini memberi penawarnya agar kita tidak terlalu bersedih.

Dan yang ditekankan buku ini adalah dengan menulis. Menulis akan membuat kita lebih tenang. Sebagaimana yang diungkapkan Lee dalam salah satu tulisannya,

menuliskan
Liaken
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
The workbook aspect is intriguing and there are interesting ideas to be had here, but after reading the foreword, I was expecting to see some evidence of the research the exercises were based on. Nope.
Isfp
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
فكرة الكتاب جميلة جداً فاغلبه عبارة عن أسئلة يجيبها القارئ ليكتشف ذاته، لكنني أرى العنوان غير مناسب وتطبيقه كذلك، ففي هذا الكتاب ستشعر وأنك تتحدث مع نفسك دون أن يتجاوب معك أحداً أو يشرح لك ما فائدة بعض الأسئلة.
Esin
Dec 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
First of all I don't really think it's a bad book. Considering that it doesn't really make people feel happy after working on it is quite normal and I guess there's nothing wrong with that. Nobody's expecting that a book will Suddently change your life an mood. But there's one thing I did realise. It made me feel worse. If you're sad. Of course you're only focusing on the negative things in life. But instead you are told to listen them up and then listing the positive ones up. Afterwards you'll ...more
Valeria
Sep 21, 2019

• Start Where You Are: A Journal for Self-Exploration
  • Count Your Rainbows: A Gratitude Journal
  • Pick Me Up: A Pep Talk for Now and Later
  • You're Weird: A Creative Journal for Misfits, Oddballs, and Anyone Else Who's Uniquely Awesome
  • Zen as F*ck: A Journal for Practicing the Mindful Art of Not Giving a Sh*t
  • Blonote
  • Oxford Handbook of Public Health Practice
  • اخلع حذاءك
  • The Lexicon of Intentionally Ambiguous Recommendations (L.I.A.R.)
  • Wreck This Journal
  • 1 Page at a Time: A Daily Creative Companion
  • The Woman Who Can't Forget: The Extraordinary Story of Living with the Most Remarkable Memory Known to Science
  • Every Day Is Epic: A Guided Journal that Celebrates the Big Things, the Little Things, and Everything in Between
  • Radical Forgiveness: Making Room for the Miracle
  • قالت
  • Collateral
  • Very Merry Wingmen: A Holiday Collection
  • Kabinetas 339
Lee Crutchley is an artist and author from a small town in England that nobody has heard of. He is currently based in Berlin. His books start with him, but end (and grow) with you. He enjoys eating cheeseburgers, staying up late, and walking as far as his feet will take him. He hates writing bios.

His latest book THE NOCTURNAL JOURNAL explores the darkness, light, and magic that can be found in the
“Perfection isn't achievable -- and it would make you an extremely dull person if it were.” 1 likes